• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

rhino4evr

Opus Angelorum said:
You have the solution, it's all about the execution. It took me a fair few attempts to nail it.

yeah I figured. it's just hard to wrap my head around. Question:
If I hit the "use button" but am not actually using something, will my shadow also hit the use button as well? For instance could I stand under the switch press the use button, then have my shadow who is now by the switch use it, becuase I had hit the button?

does that make any sense? or am I thinking too hard?

Edit I wish there was a picture of the each level so I could study the layout.

rhino4evr

Opus Angelorum said:
You have the solution, it's all about the execution. It took me a fair few attempts to nail it.

Left.

yeah, I think I know what I have to do, just not so sure.
I didn't think I could make that jump over the pit of spikes

i guess ill try again.

rhino4evr said:
does that make any sense? or am I thinking too hard?

Not quite, your
shadow can only perform the same action as you carried out. So if you want to be on the elevator, where and more importantly what should your shadow be doing to help you?

rhino4evr said:
I didn't think I could make that jump over the pit of spikes

i guess ill try again.

You can't, but your
shadow almost can.

rhino4evr

Opus Angelorum said:
Not quite, your
shadow can only perform the same action as you carried out. So if you want to be on the elevator, where and more importantly what should your shadow be doing to help you?

You can't, but your
shadow almost can.

Ok one more question..
can the shadow grab puzzle pieces?

rhino4evr

Opus Angelorum said:
No,
but he can grab keys.

thanks you've been really helpful.

Im pretty sure I know what to do on the key puzzle. Still a bit confused on the platform and switch puzzles.

rhino4evr said:
Still a bit confused on the platform and switch puzzles.

I'm trying not to tell you exactly how to do it, but just think about how you get the
platform raised. What do you have to do to achieve the result, and then get your shadow to repeat the action.

Kafel

Banned
Psychotext said:
Post Endgame:

Yeah, you can get it... another image was posted with that but I was concerned it might give too much away

What ?

Don't tell me you can actually meet the "princess" ...

onesvenus

Well, another one that joins the "Braid is an amazing experience" club.
The braid level is just amazing.

Going to look for all the
stars.

Is there any way I can start another game without loosing my game? My brother wants to try it.

rhino4evr

onesvenus said:
Well, another one that joins the "Braid is an amazing experience" club.
The braid level is just amazing.

Going to look for all the stars.

Is there any way I can start another game without loosing my game? My brother wants to try it.

i don't know what you are talking about...stop spoiling levels fool

rhino4evr

Opus Angelorum said:
I'm trying not to tell you exactly how to do it, but just think about how you get the
platform raised. What do you have to do to achieve the result, and then get your shadow to repeat the action.

this is totally obvious, the difficult part is figuring out how to get your shadow over to the lever in the first place. No more help please.

wait, i think i just figured it out in my haed..could it be that simple. the wait to play is killing me!!!

xray49er

Love this game i played a little on wednesday then last night everything just clicked i got 59 of the 60 pieces i know how to get the last i could of did it last night but i got tired so i will finish it up today. great puzzles great game i would be there day one for a dlc of a few more levels. best 15 dollars i spent since being in a drunking stupor in mexico.

Gino

Dude this game is fucking hard. I played through the first 3 worlds and there where so many puzzle pieces I couldn't figure out. Is there some ability I get later that's going to make it possible? For intense on the "Hunting" stage I couldn't get the last 2 enemy's. No mater what combination of jumping on heads to bounce high I try I can't seem to get up there.

Linkzg said:
Please post it if you can.
I'm doing the last star now... or at least trying to work out how to do it!

Gino said:
Dude this game is fucking hard. I played through the first 3 worlds and there where so many puzzle pieces I couldn't figure out. Is there some ability I get later that's going to make it possible?
There are no upgrades. Everything you need to complete a world is in that world.

Chinner

Banned
I'm having some problems with world 6 levels 6 (Elevator Action) and 7 (In another castle).

my thoughts below:
on level 6, I have the two other pieces, but the other one is only accessible by a falling ladder. I placed the ring below it and rewinded time and tried to get to the ring by using the slow down bounce of the ladder, but I still cant make it

halp plz?

Sean

Banned
Gino said:
Dude this game is fucking hard. I played through the first 3 worlds and there where so many puzzle pieces I couldn't figure out. Is there some ability I get later that's going to make it possible? For intense on the "Hunting" stage I couldn't get the last 2 enemy's. No mater what combination of jumping on heads to bounce high I try I can't seem to get up there.

Nope, no power-ups or new abilities. Pretty much everything can be beaten the first time you come across it.

rhino4evr

Gino said:

yeah that hunting stage in World 4 is a real mind fuck. Just keep trying, you'll figure it out eventually. Im sure you'll figure it out, just takes a little trial and error.

Sean

Banned
Chinner said:
I'm having some problems with world 6 levels 6 and 7.

my thoughts below:
on level 6, I have the two other pieces, but the other one is only accessible by a falling ladder. I placed the ring below it and rewinded time and tried to get to the ring by using the slow down bounce of the ladder, but I still cant make it

halp plz?

I found that positioning the ring more towards the right side of the platform (the bigger, green glowing one) slowed down the ladder but also let it bounce high enough to let you reach the puzzle piece. You've gotta be fast though, jump on the ladder ASAP and start climbing to the top, then when you're near the ledge just press left on the analog stick to hop off it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Gino said:
Once you get one or two of those puzzles you're stuck on, the whole game will click and you'll be like...

'Ohhhh, Jonathan Blow, you little fucking beauty'

Chinner said:
my thoughts below:

It's very hard to describe this puzzle without giving it away, I'll try to be as vague as possible:

You have the right idea about using the ring below the ladder to stop its fall, however placing the ring on ground level is too far to have enough effect. Pay attention to the TWO platforms that move when you pull the lever, where can they go?

xray49er

Chinner said:
I'm having some problems with world 6 levels 6 (Elevator Action) and 7 (In another castle).

my thoughts below:

halp plz?

you need to put the ring on that little platform (right above where you are putting the ring at now) before you drop the ladder. look at the two moving platforms and you should be able to figure out how to do it.

Chinner

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
It's very hard to describe this puzzle without giving it away, I'll try to be as vague as possible:

You have the right idea about using the ring below the ladder to stop its fall, however placing the ring on ground level is too far to have enough effect. Pay attention to the TWO platforms that move when you pull the lever, where can they go?

Is that the last puzzle?
the one with the platforms with the time absorbing thing? so you use the rewind to bring the platform up and then use the ring placement to slow down the cannon shots? If so, I already got that. The puzzle i am on is the where you activate the very top lever, a platform movies to the side and a big ladder drops down. the ladder itself isnt tall enough to reach the platform, so at the moment im trying to get he ring in the right place so that it slows down the bounce and so that i can get to it quick enough.

or are you talking about the one i mean? if you are i guess something hasnt clicked in my mind yet ; (

edit:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh i get it

clever

Chinner said:
Edit: I think im missing something (hmmz)

We are on the right puzzle, however pay attention to what the
lever on the right does as opposed to the lever that drops the ladder. The lever on the right activates two platforms.

Chinner

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
We are on the right puzzle, however pay attention to what the
lever on the right does as opposed to the lever that drops the ladder. The lever on the right activates two platforms.
check my edit!!! I 'got' it. Puzzle piece is now mine.

One more to go!

thanks for the help

Gino

cjelly said:
Once you get one or two of those puzzles you're stuck on, the whole game will click and you'll be like...

'Ohhhh, Jonathan Blow, you little fucking beauty'

Marvelous Bastard would have been better.

I'm gonna have to go back and try it again. It seems like I need to jump on 2 heads which I tried timing from jumping on the top guy then down onto the bottom but I don't think I could get it to work for some reason.

@ Gino

This helped me
start from the top, and leave the guy on the right (under the key) to the end.
. There is nothing elaborate required, just order.

Brakara

Damn, too many mini-spoilers here, so I guess it's time to leave the thread. See you when I get the last 11 puzzle pieces (and whatever happens next). :D

Chinner

Banned
i hate to be crawling back for help, but ive only got one piece left and I'm stuck on the very last world (6.7: in another castle).

my thoughts:
So I used the ring to slow down the cannon shots so that I can climb up the ladder. Using the green time rewind, I can get me my ring back without having to collect it. This is where I get stumped. If I pull the lever, the platform willl move causing the key to drop into the pit. There are two possible solutions in my mind: Either I place the ring by the pit in the hopes that once the key gets to its radius, it will slow down allowing me to run across and grab it. My second is putting it onto the moving platform itself, so that not only does it slow down the platform, but the key itself for a few moments. This isn't really the problem and I'd like to experiment.

The problem is that I need to get the ring down there in preperation, but by preparing, I can no longer get to the lever because I can't use the ring to slow down the cannon shots.

Maxirugi

Chinner said:
The problem is that I need to get the ring down there in preperation, but by preparing, I can no longer get to the lever because I can't use the ring to slow down the cannon shots.

If you put down the ring in some place, then pick it up and move elsewhere, you can still rewind to a time when the ring was in its original place, and also, if you've gotten to the top, you don't need to climb back down the ladder (you can drop down the side) and you can dodge the cannon in real time

Phatapata

Neo Member
Chinner said:
i hate to be crawling back for help, but ive only got one piece left and I'm stuck on the very last world (6.7: in another castle).

my thoughts:
So I used the ring to slow down the cannon shots so that I can climb up the ladder. Using the green time rewind, I can get me my ring back without having to collect it. This is where I get stumped. If I pull the lever, the platform willl move causing the key to drop into the pit. There are two possible solutions in my mind: Either I place the ring by the pit in the hopes that once the key gets to its radius, it will slow down allowing me to run across and grab it. My second is putting it onto the moving platform itself, so that not only does it slow down the platform, but the key itself for a few moments. This isn't really the problem and I'd like to experiment.

So -- without giving away one solution, think about this:

1) How might you slow the decent of the key and/or the movement of the platform (i.e., where would you have to place the ring)?

2) Knowing that you can "teleport" the ring around the screen by standing on the green platform and rewinding, in what order would you have to drop the ring to BOTH slow the cannon AND slow the key's decent?

This one took me quite a while as well, BTW... <_<

Good luck! :D

xray49er

Chinner said:

my thoughts:

just remember right before the door there is a spot where you invicible to rewinding time. you damn near figured it out with the ring near the pit.

So I finished the game last night... that ending was extremely well done. It'll probably end up being one of the more memorable gaming moments of the generation for me.

Anyway, I interpreted the story a bit different than others here, and was wondering if anyone thinks this interpretation makes sense, or if I'm just crazy. :p
(Story spoilers)
I thought the Princess was supposed to be a metaphor for some kind of intangible "discovery", whether that's something vague like "knowledge" or a concrete scientific discovery (the Manhattan project reference in the epilogue kind of hints at the atomic bomb). Tim devotes his life to searching for this thing, which he's built up in his mind as this discovery that'll change humanity for the better. He ends obsessing over the pursuit of this goal, to the point where he leaves his wife/GF, and has trouble relating to other people. At some point he ends up making the discovery (finding the "Princess"), but he realizes that while it is a dramatic paradigm shift, it's not the positive thing he's imagined it to be, and actually ends up being harmful in many ways (like an atomic bomb...) Hence the stuff at the beginning about learning from mistakes, etc.

Maybe I'm completely off the mark with this... I haven't read the alternate text in the epilogue yet, so that may change my theory. And there are a few parts of the story that don't seem to fit with this (still not entirely sure how the final scene with the Princess fits into the theory)... I dunno, it was late last night and I'm still sorting it out a bit. :D

I am pretty convinced, though, that the Princess is a metaphor and not an actual woman. I think the "Tim is a stalker" interpretation seems a little too straightforward, and it's inconsistent with the rest of the game, which is dripping in metaphor.

Any thoughts?

Chinner

Banned
Phatapata said:
2) Knowing that you can "teleport" the ring around the screen by standing on the green platform and rewinding, in what order would you have to drop the ring to BOTH slow the cannon AND slow the key's decent?

This one took me quite a while as well, BTW... <_<

Good luck! :D

Alright, this was the major thing I was missing out. Thanks for the help guys. I intend to report back once I have have completed this.

Edit: don't want to double post, but oh wow, took about three seconds to do. haha. .
putting it on the platform allowing it to hit the wall and drop down at the key at the same time is pretty genious

Kibs

Picked it up when it was released on XBLA (been drooling over it for quite a while now) - raced through the first 4 worlds and decided it might be a better option to just take my time with it and actually complete all the worlds before I attempt to finish it.
What an amazingly gorgeous little (almost literally) gem.

zam

Holy shit, bought the game today and finished it today. Probably one of the most awesome, different games I've played. Just on it's own with the watercolors and the music it would be an enjoyable platformer, but the different time-altering mechanics really takes it to a different level.

And then the story was nice, nicely done at the last level
when it turns out that the princess is running away from you, not running along trying to help you as it first seemed.

Also in the Epilogue, most of the green books don't give me any text, except the ones in the last frame, is it supposed to be that way?

Still trying to wrap my head around the ending
Was Tim just a stalker or was the princess just a metaphor. Up until that level I thought she was just a metaphor for discovery or something always out of reach.

Post Endgame:

RAAAAR. I'm really struggling with this final star. There's really only a couple of things you could do - but it doesn't seem to work. =/

zam

what is it the [post-endgame]
stars do? do they reveal anything extra about the story or are they just pretty to see in the constellation?

Ben Sones

Post Endgame:
I'm curious to see what happens if you collect all of the stars--or if it's even possible to collect all of the stars. If the princess is a metaphor for the relentless and obsessive pursuit of an intangible or misunderstood goal... well, it's probably no coincidence that you are collecting stars to complete the constellation Andromeda. Star-collecting is, figuratively speaking, chasing the princess. Nobody looking for the stars even knows what purpose they serve--we only know that they are there, and that they can be collected, but we go after them anyway. Irony?

zam: you may want to wrap a spoiler tag around
the word "stars." The fact that you can even go after them is sort of a spoiler.

hc2

Independent designer Jonathan Blow's award-winning Braid made its Xbox Live Arcade debut just last week, but Blow says Microsoft's certification requirements might have impeded the game's final quality.

Talking to Gamasutra as part of a larger interview to be published in the near future, Blow says the cert process for XBLA is more geared toward triple AAA games than perhaps is useful.

"They removed some of the requirements for XBLA games, but there are still a lot of requirements, and I believe that, at least for a single-player game like my game, the vast majority of these requirements are unnecessary," he says.

"I put in a tremendous amount of work meeting all these requirements, when I could have put that work into the actual game, and made it even a little more polished, little bit better."

Blow says Microsoft's XBLA certification process is intended to ensure a standard of quality for all titles on the service -- "But I feel like it actually decreases the quality of games, because people spend so much of their energy on these things that users don't even really care about."......

"I mean, maybe in five years when I'm motivated, if I have a really fresh idea for it. But I'm not waiting in the wings with a level pack, or DLC or anything."

Blow says he has considered releasing Dashboard themes since Microsoft announced the redesign. "I didn't want to do them on the old Dashboard, because it's covered with ads everywhere," he says.

"Braid is about setting a mood and a feeling, and you can't do it while there's like, a Burger King ad there, flashing... I just felt that juxtaposition would have been bad for the game."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19748

Ben Sones said:
Post Endgame:
I'm curious to see what happens if you collect all of the stars--or if it's even possible to collect all of the stars...
Yeah, it's possible. I'm very nearly there.

Top Bottom