• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

GDJustin said:
A lot of those people in the credits are publisher-side, though. They'll be getting paid out of the cut MS keeps. All the logistics stuff is on MS-side.

Those that are dev-side (I forgot about sound design and the original artist) were almost CERTAINLY paid up front. I mean, think about it. That initial art work was done yeeeaaars ago - wasn't Braid at IGF 2005? There's no way Blow was able to convince them to do all this work by saying "When the game is finished and comes out, I'll pay you a % of the revenue!" Yeah right. No, those original people were paid $X to provide Y assets, and that was it. That's most likely why Blow went into debt developing the game.
Yeah, you're probably right.

trancekr

Yesterday, I finally got all the puzzles.

It's such a great game. The whole puzzle solving experience is incredible.

Everyone should play this game now.

Get in there! (post endgame)

Good news: I got the last star!
Bad news: It doesn't seem to do anything other than fill the constellation, and I still don't know what the cloud by your castle does (or the time immune platform nearby).

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I really like this game. As a matter of fact, the game being kinda short is probably one of the reasons I like it. It's just like Portal -- short, but oh so sweet. If the game was twice as long (this goes for both Portal and Braid) it'd lose that feeling of always being fresh and constantely surprising you with new ways to solve the challenges during that first playthrough. There are no fillers in it, just the character and the puzzles. You don't walk for more than a short, short time between the puzzles, and that's still a rare occurance.

FrankT

Psychotext said:
Get in there! (post endgame)

Good news: I got the last star!
Bad news: It doesn't seem to do anything other than fill the constellation, and I still don't know what the cloud by your castle does (or the time immune platform nearby).

Hmm, maybe that was just it with the chasing the stars theory. Anyhow, the green books on prologue it didn't have anything to do with those right?

Jtyettis said:
Hmm, maybe that was just it with the chasing the stars theory. Anyhow, the green books on prologue it didn't have anything to do with those right?
I've only checked the books in epilogue... and they didn't change at all. Green books still do nothing. I can check the pre-world books but I think it'll be the same. I wish they'd put it in as a puzzle piece or something though so it showed on the leaderboard.

I'm a little disappointed but the sky does look very nice now. lol

FrankT

Psychotext said:
I've only checked the books in epilogue... and they didn't change at all. Green books still do nothing. I can check the pre-world books but I think it'll be the same. I wish they'd put it in as a puzzle piece or something though so it showed on the leaderboard.

I'm a little disappointed but the sky does look very nice now. lol

There has to be something with the platform I would think as it serves no purpose yet.

Pelloki

Jtyettis said:
There has to be something with the platform I would think as it serves no purpose yet.

Yes it does - it's used to read the alternate text for the red book on the screen before.

MUST OWN SOUNDTRACK

Also, I only just started playing and the thread's too huge to search... how do you get to the top level on the first Hunt? It's driving me mad!

EDIT: nm :D

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Gary Whitta said:
MUST OWN SOUNDTRACK

Also, I only just started playing and the thread's too huge to search... how do you get to the top level on the first Hunt? It's driving me mad!

Soundtrack is freely available I think, check http://braid-game.com/news/?p=260#more-260 site for details. and you can
bounce off a goomba from a greater height to gain more elevation.

edit: free to listen to I guess, downloadable for a small fee. Also this http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewIMix?id=287680699 apparently is a iTunes tracklist of all the tracks, though I don't have iTunes installed so cannot verify

Post Endgame:
Pelloki said:
Yes it does - it's used to read the alternate text for the red book on the screen before.
Really? I just tried it and it was the same... what do you need to do?

tehbear

Wow you guys are all too fast and good at this game :p

I got it yesterday, just completed the 2nd world. The moment where I
tried the stupid jump on cloud bridge for the 50th time discovering the platform in the portrait was a divine moment

The first impression I get some some puzzles is "this is stupid wtf" but the eureka moments hits eventually with devastating amounts of enlightenment.

rhino4evr

tehbear said:
Wow you guys are all too fast and good at this game :p

I got it yesterday, just completed the 2nd world. The moment where I
tried the stupid jump on cloud bridge for the 50th time discovering the platform in the portrait was a divine moment

The first impression I get some some puzzles is "this is stupid wtf" but the eureka moments hits eventually with devastating amounts of enlightenment.

If thought that was clever prepare to have your brain melted.

Pelloki

Psychotext said:
Post Endgame:

Really? I just tried it and it was the same... what do you need to do?

Stand on the red book for a few minutes then run right to the next room - the one with the platform. You need to raise and lower the platform, then step on it, rewind till it's up, move to the farthest left, rewind till it's back down and then rewind until the red book in the previous room's open (hence why leaving it open for a few minutes works a charm). Then run left and behind the boy and look away from the book. Job done.

Costanza

Banned
world 5.. completely baffled

how do I get the piece with the key in So Distant?

edit: nevermind, somehow I got it by accident

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Please...anyone...

I need a step by step guide for #2 on 6-6. I thought I knew what I was doing but I just cannot figure it out. Anyone help me. It's elevator action.

itsinmyveins

Y2Kev said:
Please...anyone...

I need a step by step guide for #2 on 6-6. I thought I knew what I was doing but I just cannot figure it out. Anyone help me. It's elevator action.

The one with the ladder?

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Y2Kev said:
Please...anyone...

use the ring to slow the left-hand platform's fall, so that the right hand one can move all the way left

edit: vvvv this is a less explicit clue vvvv

sonicmj1

Y2Kev said:
Please...anyone...

I was stuck on it forever, until I had a revelation.

Study the rightmost 'green' moving platform. What is its purpose? Where does it go?

Vangellis

Y2Kev said:
Please...anyone...

This was the last piece I got, and personally I think its one of the poorest designed puzzles in the game. You need to utilize the two platforms the touch each other. First drop your ring on the big one that goes up. Now hit the switch to make them go to their starting positions. After that make it come down again. If you do it right the platform that goes up and down will be slowed greatly letting the other platform pass underneath it. The sliding platform will hit the small platform that seemed to have no use.

From there you should be able to see the rest of the puzzle. Essentially you need to jump on the ladder while its falling. When you make the jump you need to be on that tiny ledge. Since you slid the platform over there you can now make the jump to it from the larger one. Hope that helps.
]

Axiom

rohlfinator said:
So I finished the game last night... that ending was extremely well done. It'll probably end up being one of the more memorable gaming moments of the generation for me.

Anyway, I interpreted the story a bit different than others here, and was wondering if anyone thinks this interpretation makes sense, or if I'm just crazy. :p
(Story spoilers)

Any thoughts?

Until it came here, with the story I'd not thought
stalker was what we were meant to take from it. I went back through all the books after reading that and I'm more inclined to think everything is theme rather than a single narrative. If it's one narrative, it's a series of stories about one man and the relationship with the women in his life, and even then I can't see that being all.

Backwards or forwards, in view, or out of view. While it tells direct story through the gameplay, I don't think that means the final level is the sudden revelation that gives you the lens to see things as they are, and a lot of the confusion is stemming from people trying to reconcile it all together based on that one level. If the most common thread is Tim hurting or driving away the woman he cares for in some way, then even the final level could be complete metaphor. Again, if it's one big connected story, I'm thinking novel whose story is being implied and the stalker bit, if intended, is merely a chapter within it.
Though if someone does consider it art, then all interpretations are valid.

To put it another way, just because it turned out to be a sled, doesn't mean the film was about a sled.

On the more general complaint people are having about text telling the story in games, with Braid it only implies a context and the thing everyone raves about was not done through text. It doesn't flow half as well as the actual mechanics and design do, but just because other media hardly use interactivity - doesn't mean it should the only tool if games are capable of more. It may be what sets games apart, but even if a tool is a crutch most of the time, it's still a valid tool.
Infocom made games after all, and being text only or reclassifying them as interactive fiction doesn't suddenly exclude them from the media no matter how awesome Choose You Own Adventure books were.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
oh my god I did it

thanks for the hints, I didn't have time to read them inbetween crying and smashing controllers

that was soooo awesome

i'm glad i didn't read, lol:lol

Here we go last puzzle in the game!!!

sonicmj1

Y2Kev said:
oh my god I did it

thanks for the hints, I didn't have time to read them inbetween crying and smashing controllers

that was soooo awesome

i'm glad i didn't read, lol:lol

That was my last piece, and I got pretty upset there. Running around, screwing up for a good half-hour. I went to the thread to look for a hint, and nobody had posted anything about it yet.

I went back, messed around some more, getting angrier and angrier, and then...

Oh.

That happens with puzzle games sometimes.

rhino4evr

Costanza said:
first piece on 5-5.. Window of Opportunity. I get what I have to do but the
shadow guy
won't stay alive.

anyone?

I figured out that one on accident. I don't think I could even remember how I did it in the first place. If you can open both doors, the rest should be pretty easy.

Costanza

Banned
INTERNET said:
So unlock the bottom door, rewind, unlock the top door and jump on the bottom door before the shadow unlocks it, and pull the lever.
OHHHH I forgot there was a way up. I thought I had to rewind again back to the platform and let the
shadow guy
pull the lever.

Post Endgame:
Pelloki said:
Stand on the red book for a few minutes then run right to the next room - the one with the platform. You need to raise and lower the platform, then step on it, rewind till it's up, move to the farthest left, rewind till it's back down and then rewind until the red book in the previous room's open (hence why leaving it open for a few minutes works a charm). Then run left and behind the boy and look away from the book. Job done.
Thanks... I'll give it a try. Still doesn't explain the cloud though, very odd.

itsinmyveins

Post Endgame:

Well, not really, but kinda. I'm watching the 1UP-show and they're talking about one of the puzzles in the last world where you're supposed to get these goombas past three plants. They're talking about how it seems like you just ought to use the ring and solve it simply using that one, but Blow mentions there's a other more elegant way.

I'm assuming that's using X+RB to stop time and halt the plants in their pipes. So I'm mostly curious; how many of you guys did it like that, and how many actually got those goombas past without it? I know I used X+RB, although it was somewhat of a fluke noticing that. I'd been trying the other way for like 30 minutes before I stumbled upon that solution.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Post Endgame:

Well, not really, but kinda. I'm watching the 1UP-show and they're talking about one of the puzzles in the last world where you're supposed to get these goombas past three plants. They're talking about how it seems like you just ought to use the ring and solve it simply using that one, but Blow mentions there's a other more elegant way.

I'm assuming that's using X+RB to stop time and halt the plants in their pipes. So I'm mostly curious; how many of you guys did it like that, and how many actually got those goombas past without it? I know I used X+RB, although it was somewhat of a fluke noticing that. I'd been trying the other way for like 30 minutes before I stumbled upon that solution.
Yeah, the scratch rewind option is better... and far more elegant. Plus you'll need that method for something else later. :)

soco

ItsInMyVeins said:
Post Endgame:

i tried it the first way a few times, and then moved to the second way as i got frustrated and found this was an easier way. it took me a few times rewinding to notice that it would work, but i knew about
stopping time
earlier so using that was pretty easy to figure out.

DuckRacer

I'm stuck on the first level of world five trying to figure out how this bullshit mechanic works. It's even worse than world 4's mechanic. :|

Top Bottom