• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

sonicmj1

Costanza said:

You have to open the door and get to the puzzle piece. But the puzzle piece is behind a wall that you have to pull a switch to get. And the switch also requires a key to get to, right?

So what does your shadow have to do?

Keep in mind that your shadow only can perform actions for a limited amount of time. If you start in the wrong place, your shadow will disappear before it does what has to be done.

This game is just beautiful, and I'm loving every second of it. The story is wonderful, and the layered watercolor style is stunning. I'm only 26 pieces in though, and I'm already having trouble... we'll see how far I can go without some help.

Best xbla game next to geowars2, which I SUCK at. :p

FightyF

Banned
Check out the first line with the arrow first, before checking out the rest...

Regarding the red books:
<------check for topic

The only one I haven't yet seen is the 2nd alternate (ie. when the lady sings) story for the second book. So obviously I can see the book normally, and by going to the left of the screen I can see one alternative. But I can't see the second alternative because the sensor is in the pit.

I hope I'm explaining myself clearly enough for people to understand... :p

Regarding Stars:
<---- check for topic

I got the star that was above the switch, in level 6. There was a pic posted here. It took me forever and I wonder if there was an easier way. I brought up the bunny to that level, and I coaxed it to jump a bunch of times. Then I got on top, rewinded until he bunny was mid-air, and then try to jump on him. It took a bunch of tries but I got it (what did it was rewinding him a bit while in the air). But it was hard as hell.

FightyF said:
Regarding Stars:
<---- check for topic

I got the star that was above the switch, in level 6. There was a pic posted here. It took me forever and I wonder if there was an easier way. I brought up the bunny to that level, and I coaxed it to jump a bunch of times. Then I got on top, rewinded until he bunny was mid-air, and then try to jump on him. It took a bunch of tries but I got it (what did it was rewinding him a bit while in the air). But it was hard as hell.

If you drop the ring and slow the bunny down while he is jumping it is MUCH easier to bounce off of him at the apex of the his jump.

Pimpbaa

ItsInMyVeins said:
I really like this game. As a matter of fact, the game being kinda short is probably one of the reasons I like it. It's just like Portal -- short, but oh so sweet. If the game was twice as long (this goes for both Portal and Braid) it'd lose that feeling of always being fresh and constantely surprising you with new ways to solve the challenges during that first playthrough. There are no fillers in it, just the character and the puzzles. You don't walk for more than a short, short time between the puzzles, and that's still a rare occurance.

Why do you think there would be filler if it was longer? Portal could have been twice as long and even better as a result (as long as the extra levels were just as good).

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Pimpbaa said:
Why do you think there would be filler if it was longer? Portal could have been twice as long and even better as a result (as long as the extra levels were just as good).

I didn't say it was gonna be fillers if the games were longer, I said they lacked fillers. And by that I meant tedious walking between puzzles and etc. You go almost directly from one puzzle to another. Both games are so focused on just solving the room (or whatever you wanna call it) you're in at the moment, and then on to the next one.

If Portal was twice as long I think it'd start to lose some of its appeal, since I'm doubtful about those extra levels being up to par to the ones in the game now. If you throw in a hundred levels, there's definitely a bigger risk of the puzzle solving getting stale and similar to each other than in a game where there are ten levels.
It might still be fun, sure. But I prefer a game that constantly improves throughout the game (even if it's only five hours long) than one which doesn't improve as much throughout and is five times as long.

Pimpbaa said:
I don't really agree... the mechanic would have got old.

But anyway, this isn't the portal thread.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Psychotext said:
I don't really agree... the mechanic would have got old.

But anyway, this isn't the portal thread.

Don't think of it as a discussion about Portal, it might just as well be about Braid. I think both games are very similar in many ways and Portal was one of the first games I thought of while playing Braid.

Wurm

Banned
8TH STAR: GET!!!

Braid is cemented as one of the most incredible platformers I've played. I'll come back and share my final extensive thoughts once I've taken a breather mentally XD

FightyF

Banned
Beer_Baron said:
If you drop the ring and slow the bunny down while he is jumping it is MUCH easier to bounce off of him at the apex of the his jump.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I did that.
put the ring on the edge of the ledge, and made sure I was in the immunity area so that I wouldn't be slowed down
I still found it hard though, but maybe that's because I simply suck. :p

Just beat the game, only needed GAF's help for one puzzle (and in retrospect I should have just been more patient).

Braid has a lot in common with this song. Seems innocent on the surface, but then you pay a little more attention to it and it hits you
that it's about a creep.

Okay so World 3: Time and Mystery - Tight Channels

How the hell do I outrun the fireballs at the very end of the level to climb the ladder for the last puzzle piece?

voltron

Gary Whitta said:

How the hell do I outrun the fireballs at the very end of the level to climb the ladder for the last puzzle piece?

lol I just had a quick look and even though Ive finished that world and got the piece I have absolutely no idea how I did it!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Gary Whitta said:

One of the cannons isn't affected by time

That's all I'm saying. :D

voltron

cjelly said:
One of the cannons isn't affected by time

That's all I'm saying. :D

Yeah was just about to say that. I just figured it out.... REALLY easy compared to some of the later shit.

voltron

Ok how the fuck do I get the first piece in the last screen in world 6? Its impossible!

edit, figured it out. Im a genius!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
May I aks a siple question I downloaded the demo and its very cool, though I hear it limtied here on the demo. question follows:

IS everything to get the puzzle pieces from a board on THAT board? or do I need to do other things than come back!? or get new abilities!?

I cant get those two pieces on the Puzzle board in the demo. I must suck at logic

Dorfdad said:
May I aks a siple question I downloaded the demo and its very cool, though I hear it limtied here on the demo. question follows:

IS everything to get the puzzle pieces from a board on THAT board? or do I need to do other things than come back!? or get new abilities!?

I cant get those two pieces on the Puzzle board in the demo. I must suck at logic

You don't get any new abilities, per se, or at least you don't get any that you can carry back. All of the puzzle pieces are on that world, and as for the puzzle board,
there's a bit of it that, when put together, looks like a platform. Use that to get the goomba down and to get to the piece up top.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Peronthious said:
You don't get any new abilities, per se, or at least you don't get any that you can carry back. All of the puzzle pieces are on that world, and as for the puzzle board,
there's a bit of it that, when put together, looks like a platform. Use that to get the goomba down and to get to the piece up top.

I figured something like that, but what Im asking is everything I need on each screen or do you sometimes need to go to antoher screen do something and go back or should I sit on every screen and stress out trying to figure out what to do than move on!

?

Ben Sones

Psychotext said:
Post Endgame:

Really? I just tried it and it was the same... what do you need to do?

That platform is also
needed to view the alt-text of the book that is sitting ON the platform.

BTW, I don't think there is a second screen of alt-text on the screen with the pit. There are two places (well, three, actually) to hide on that screen, but AFAIK they all just deliver the same alternate text.

Dorfdad said:
I figured something like that, but what Im asking is everything I need on each screen or do you sometimes need to go to antoher screen do something and go back or should I sit on every screen and stress out trying to figure out what to do than move on!

?

All you need to finish off the puzzle pieces in that level
is the platform in the puzzle, and you might have to get puzzle pieces later on to fill that out. I don't think there's any more puzzles in the game like that, though.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Peronthious said:
All you need to finish off the puzzle pieces in that level
is the platform in the puzzle, and you might have to get puzzle pieces later on to fill that out. I don't think there's any more puzzles in the game like that, though.

I understood that what Im asking is regardless of the board I go to and I see puzzle pieces is everything I need to get those pieces on that screen? Or do sometimes you need to go to other screens levels to get or do something that changes something on those original screens?

Jasoco

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Braid has a lot in common with this song. Seems innocent on the surface, but then you pay a little more attention to it and it hits you
that it's about a creep.
I think it has more to do with this song actually... :lol

Also, I called it! I knew
that star in the girls bedroom
was important.

Dorfdad said:
I understood that what Im asking is regardless of the board I go to and I see puzzle pieces is everything I need to get those pieces on that screen? Or do sometimes you need to go to other screens levels to get or do something that changes something on those original screens?

Oh, no, all of the levels are self contained as far as I know.

Wurm

Banned
Okay, so thats Braid done and dusted for me, but boy what a trip. I really enjoyed the standard game as I did simply play the demo and immediately scramble to purchase.

The background watercolour artwork is astoundingly beautiful, and when it scrolls in parallax it is a real work of art. I've always liked seeing watercolours manipulated like that since seeing a special Pixar exhibition movie of 'zooming into paintings'. It makes for a really visceral effect, so I'd say thats what grabbed me initially. I loved all the different mechanics the game introduced in each world and the game felt lovely and charming.

braid1.jpg

It wasn't until I set out on the optional quest to collect the 8 hidden stars that the game blossomed from "great game" to "incredible perfection". I felt like I was 9 years old again, eagerly searching for the Chaos Emeralds on the incredibly difficult 8-bit Sonic 2 on Game Gear. The sheer purity of the games mechanics is laid to bare in struggling to grab a star (with one exception, the 'Ugh I need to restart from scratch because I've completed that' star). The sense of discovery when you finally work out how to completely bend the level and its inhabitants to your whim and elevate you to that sought after star.. its breathtaking. Each time you sit back after each one wide-eyed in disbelief that the game was programmed to such perfection, that everything follows its role no matter what.

It reminded me why 2d games can feel so pure because they can be tightly coded like this. In 3d theres so many variables and surfaces to police that you'd never be able to create something like Braid.

Braid is a great game, but I strongly suggest hunting out those stars! You don't get an ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED (a missed opportunity I think, this is the definition of a challenge) or a different ending, but actually solving each one is really something special.

FrankT

Leaderboards update, 27k, now the second best selling XBLA title in 3 days. If it somehow magically does another 5,500 tonight it will be the top 3 day grossing title as well.

Gross $405,000

AniHawk

BenjaminBirdie said:
YES!!!!

Just finished off World 4, every piece, no hints.

Achievement Unlocked: I'M AWESOME!!

I'm having trouble in World 4. Hunt and the one before it, where you need
that little thing to grab the key for you, but you can't get across that way unless you kill the thing you need to get the key from

soco

Wurm said:
Braid is a great game, but I strongly suggest hunting out those stars! You don't get an ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED (a missed opportunity I think, this is the definition of a challenge) or a different ending, but actually solving each one is really something special.

you might wanna spoiler tag some of that stuff ;) we've all been spoiler tagging
the star talk

anyway, i agree that the achievement thing, but at the same time, the list would've leaked out and it would've spoiled some of this discovery for a lot of people. it would be nice if MS could have truly hidden achievements, that don't appear as 'secret'. they simply don't appear at all until they've been achieved. that's the kind of stuff i love about games. those extra special things that are hidden and you see these massive threads of people on the internet scrambling to collectively solve them and see if it changes the game at all :)

perhaps what MS should do is add a gold star or something that games can show beside their names in the list, when the users have completed them 100% or completed some great aspect of them or something and not just completing all of the achievements.

AniHawk said:
I'm having trouble in World 4. Hunt and the one before it, where you need
that little thing to grab the key for you, but you can't get across that way unless you kill the thing you need to get the key from

For Hunt, don't forget theme of World 4. Go left, time moves backward, Go right time moves forward.

This is just a hint for Hunt. Not a solution.

Avoid going left as much as possible after killing enemies.

MirageDwarf said:
For Hunt, don't forget theme of World 4. Go left, time moves backward, Go right time moves forward.

This is just a hint for Hunt. Not a solution.

Avoid going left as much as possible after killing enemies.

Yeah, just follow very carefully what you're doing on that level when you're moving back and forth, and figure out placements as well.

Costanza

Banned
Uh, how do I get the key on Cascade? I think you have to
double jump off two goombas but I can't figure out where to place the ring so I'm slow enough.

edit: nvm again

NZNova

Just bought this. Looks pretty good. I assume the fact I start off and World 2 is the first world I see is some cleverness yet to be revealed (or is the world I started in world 1?).

Top Bottom