• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Dirtbag

I beated it!

No cheats either... I'm so proud of myself. The last 3 puzzle pieces took me so long to figure out, but once I got it.. oh man.

This is my GOTY so far. I'm so impressed.

So story spoilers:

Is he an alcoholic that plays too many videogames that hits / beats his girlfriend and she leaves him (or gets killed in a fire)?
Now he is trying to pick up the pieces to his life (mind) and wishes he could take it all back (hence the time angle)?

I say alcoholic because of the puzzle pictures.

Star Question

Where are these star missions everyone is talking about, obviously Ive seen them up in the sky at the start, but where do you look for them in single player.

AniHawk

Dirtbag 504 said:
I beated it!

No cheats either... I'm so proud of myself. The last 3 puzzle pieces took me so long to figure out, but once I got it.. oh man.

This is my GOTY so far. I'm so impressed.

So story spoilers:

Is he an alcoholic that plays too many videogames that hits / beats his girlfriend and she leaves him (or gets killed in a fire)?
Now he is trying to pick up the pieces to his life (mind) and wishes he could take it all back (hence the time angle)?

I say alcoholic because of the puzzle pictures.

and in his spare time, he still manages to host a late-night talk show

Banned
Well, despite what I said in the PA price topic, I ended up buying this after just how much praise there's been, people saying the game is taking them 6/7 hours to finish, there not being much on TV this weekend and wanting to have something to play when listening to 1up Yours.

Well, I started playing a couple of minutes into 1up Yours, and it's just finished there, with me at world 6 with 6/12 pieces collected.

It's reasonably enjoyable, but I agree with what they were saying on the podcast about the look of the game, and I haven't really found it that challenging so far.

Is there much left to the game? It looks like there's another room to get to once I've got all 12 pieces. (is there another world?)
Costanza said:
Elevator Action. First piece.

How the fuck?
Climb up past the cannons, go down and get the key and go back up. Then place the ring on the right hand side of the platform, time it right, and send it down so that it slows all three cannons as you're climbing down.

Sean

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Has anybody done the speedrun in under 45 minutes? How tight is it?

Nobody on GAF has done it yet according to this.

I've only tried a single level speedrun (Leap of Faith) and I could not make it in the 1:05 challenge time. If you make a mistake and rewind time, unfortunately the clock doesn't rewind with that, so it needs to be a perfect run with no fuck-ups :(

AniHawk

Gary Whitta said:
This is my GOTY so far, no question.

No doubt. I haven't even gotten to the halfway point yet. I think only Mirror's Edge can top this for me, and it'll have to have some ridiculously incredible level design to do so.

Draft

This game is sweet as hell. I spent most of my remaining ill begotten space bucks on it. Thank you, car designing website.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
No doubt. I haven't even gotten to the halfway point yet. I think only Mirror's Edge can top this for me, and it'll have to have some ridiculously incredible level design to do so.
I've been doing one world each night - takes me about an hour or so for each one. And right before I save and call it a night, I go into the first level of the next world and see what the twist on time is. Each time, I'm surprised and impressed with the creativity, and it keeps me thinking about how they are going to be used later.

When I did that for level five, I just about shit a brick.

Darkflight said:
World 6 is poor compared to the rest of the game, stupid need to be ridiculously precise with the stupid ring.

It was my favourite world. Possibly because it all clicked with me and I was never stuck for more than about 10 minutes max for each puzzle.

Darkflight said:
World 6 is poor compared to the rest of the game, stupid need to be ridiculously precise with the stupid ring.

I agree. World 6 was the weakest for me. I don't remember which one it was, I think 3 or 4, but the one where you have a shadow copy of yourself is my favorite.

LJ11

Linkzg said:
I agree. World 6 was the weakest for me. I don't remember which one it was, I think 3 or 4, but the one where you have a shadow copy of yourself is my favorite.

World 5, and I agree. A few of the puzzles in 6 aren't difficult to figure out, it's just executing them in a timely fashion that becomes a pain after the 3rd or 4th try.

Sean

Banned
Darkflight said:

I LOVED world 6, had a really neat gameplay mechanic and interesting level design IMO.

World 4 was my least favorite by far.

LJ11

voltron said:
Ok, world 6 - Elevator Action. Anyone have any hints on getting the 2nd piece? This is driving me insane.

Edit: Forgot which one was first on that level

Remember the green platform mechanic from the 3rd world? Use that concept.

If you want more help.

Get the platform on the right to go to the left.

voltron

LJ11 said:
Edit: Forgot which one was first on that level

Remember the green platform mechanic from the 3rd world? Use that concept.

Well yeah thats pretty obvious as its how you get the 3rd piece too. I just cant seem to get over to the ladder in time.... even with the special time thing from the platform.

edit, ok tks. Didnt think of that. (didnt know you could do it).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Is there a FAQ out there that gives you hints without spoiling the whole puzzle? They used to do this for adventure games and I liked it because it helped you out without completely robbing you of any sense of accomplishment.

Dartastic

SapientWolf said:
Is there a FAQ out there that gives you hints without spoiling the whole puzzle? They used to do this for adventure games and I liked it because it helped you out without completely robbing you of any sense of accomplishment.

This.

Banned
Well, that's me done. So much for 6/7 hours, more like three, three-and-a-half.

I'm really having a hard time understanding how this could be anyone's Game of the Year (so far) though.

andrewfee said:

I'm really having a hard time understanding how this could be anyone's Game of the Year (so far) though.
Aren't you a good time?

Also I was probably around 5-6 hours. Going back through again,
trying to comprehend the ending

Llyranor

How much better is the full game compared to the demo. The only interesting puzzle in the demo was the Donkey Kong one. If I was underwhelmed by the demo, is the full game still potentially worth it? How's the rest of the level/puzzle design?

GhaleonEB

Okay. Elevator Action. (6-5, I think.) Second piece.

I think I know what to do. I need to drop the ladder, then stand on the platform that prevents me from moving backwards with the rest of the world. Then rewind until the ladder is just dropping. I jump off, rewind a touch more (because the effect lasts for a moment), catch the ladder, and when it reaches the apex of the bounce, I'm at the top, waiting to grab the piece.

But I can't get off the ladder to get it. I just sort of toggle on the edge, then fall off. But I'm literally at the top of the ladder, waiting to grab it when it gets to the apex of the bounce. Is this another one where there's luck involved, and I'll be able to grab it eventually? Or am I doing it wrong?
Costanza said:
Elevator Action. First piece.

How the fuck?

edit: omg :D
Figuring that one out was soooooo satisfying. I felt do damn smart
when I put the ring on the elevator and ran all the way down.

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
Aren't you a good time?
Sorry, I just expected more from a 1200 point game (£10.20, $19.59 US) with the way people have been going on about it, and saying that it took them twice as long as it did for me. If I hadn't been listening to 1up Yours at the time, I'm sure it would have gone by a lot quicker as well.

Costanza

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
But I can't get off the ladder to get it. I just sort of toggle on the edge, then fall off. But I'm literally at the top of the ladder, waiting to grab it when it gets to the apex of the bounce. Is this another one where there's luck involved, and I'll be able to grab it eventually? Or am I doing it wrong?
Yeah that one seemed very random. Just keep trying.

GhaleonEB

andrewfee said:
Sorry, I just expected more from a 1200 point game (£10.20, $19.59 US) with the way people have been going on about it, and saying that it took them twice as long as it did for me. If I hadn't been listening to 1up Yours at the time, I'm sure it would have gone by a lot quicker as well.
You apparantly were smarter than everyone else. I'm into hour six or seven here, on World 6.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
GhaleonEB said:
Okay. Elevator Action. (6-5, I think.) Second piece.

I think I know what to do. I need to drop the ladder, then stand on the platform that prevents me from moving backwards with the rest of the world. Then rewind until the ladder is just dropping. I jump off, rewind a touch more (because the effect lasts for a moment), catch the ladder, and when it reaches the apex of the bounce, I'm at the top, waiting to grab the piece.

I tried the same exact thing, you may get lucky and get up there, but that isn't the actual solution.

andrewfee said:

Serious question: Did you clear everything by yourself without looking for any hint at all anywhere? Any videos seen before? If answer is no, then impressive.

At the same time, 6-7 hrs length is true for majority.

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
Serious question: Did you clear everything by yourself without looking for any hint at all anywhere? Any videos seen before? If answer is no, then impressive.
No, what's the point in a puzzle game if you don't solve the puzzles?

I'll put up a video for that Elevator Action one, should be up in a few minutes hopefully. (just need to cut it, encode it and upload it)

GhaleonEB

andrewfee said:
No, what's the point in a puzzle game if you don't solve the puzzles?

I'll put up a video for that Elevator Action one, should be up in a few minutes hopefully. (just need to cut it, encode it and upload it)
Text works, too.

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, I give up. What is?

I won't give it away, but this may help:

When you hit the switch, one platform moves down, and one platform moves left. Who is to say that one of those platforms wouldn't keep moving if the other stopped it?

GhaleonEB

GOT IT

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edit: just saw the note above. I don't know why I keep asking for help - I always figure it out before an answer comes. :lol

(Thanks, though.)

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Text works, too.
I figured that one was a bit trickier to explain, so I thought a video would work better. Good to see you've got it anyway. :)

EDIT: Here's the video for anyone else that gets stuck. Braid 6-6, #2 I see now that I could have done it a bit quicker than that, but it works.

GhaleonEB

OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOD
Realizing what was really happening when I played the fire wall sequence (which I didn't have any issues with) backwards was was an amazing moment. Holy crap that was brilliant.

Now I can finally go back through the thread and read the spoilers! :lol

Meh, (was supposed to be) a reduced post as I'd rambled with terrible grammar for 5 paragraphs like I always do when something annoys me, ok, I can't help myself, there's rambling, I suck at getting my point across reasonably intelligently :D:

Finished it, went from "wow, this is amazing", to "oh, this isn't as amazing as I thought, feels kinda lacking near the end" now I'm going to sleep as it's half 5, I expect to be torn limb from limb by morning :D

I've never got "its frustrating but good", frustrating is never good, yes I get a sense of satisfaction when I finish a puzzle, but that doesn't mean the frustration was warranted, it means and I think it is probably true for this game that as the game went on and got harder and more convuluted that it wasn't looked at by enough people to help reign it in.

When on the 1upshow they mention the "elegant solution" to a World 6 puzzle, that Matt quite rightly calls him on as "messy" - it felt far too much like Mr. Blow being too clever for his own good then, of course he thinks its elegant, he programmed it, same with the plot, of course its clever for him, he has the missing pieces he cut out, we don't.

It seems like a case of people being too close to their work to notice any flaws - but then again GAF seems to have an army of savants who never got stuck on World 6 and had to resort to a video, so I doubt anyone will agree :lol

Its definately good (not sure anymore about 1200 points good), but not a scratch on Portal, at all. - I don't see the 10/10s either - I felt it could go this way until I got to World 6 and then the ending, then it let itself down - World 6's mechanic was very poor compared to the elegant ones in the rest of the game and I have no fricking clue what the ending is about other than
he seemed to scare the princess away for some reason and there was something about rat disection? - The bit in reverse in the "Braid" level was cool though.

It did amaze me how quickly my opinion changed, after a few hours on Wednesday, I set my work wallpaper to a Braid one, changed my yahoo pic, now they don't feel right anymore as the game just doesn't sit the same with me. (Yeah, I'm gonna sleep before I ramble some more, I could go on for pages without actually saying anything, I'd be the worst game reviewer ever :lol)

Llyranor said:
How much better is the full game compared to the demo. The only interesting puzzle in the demo was the Donkey Kong one. If I was underwhelmed by the demo, is the full game still potentially worth it? How's the rest of the level/puzzle design?
Each level tops the previous. Really ramps up well.

Buttonbasher said:
Each level tops the previous. Really ramps up well.

I disagree. I think it hits its peak with 5 (which is the shadow clone one according to others), but then 6 is poor.
Then again, World 1 is awesome.

Top Bottom