• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

6 pissed me off so much because so many of puzzles were "oh, I get what I need to do, that isn't too hard...WHY IS THIS TAKING SO DAMN LONG TO DO!" Like, just
getting that time bubble onto the cannon was really annoying.

TheGreatDave said:
6 isn't poor! It's better than 4.

If 4 is the
timeline one, I didn't hate that because those puzzles weren't hard. They had the most simple rules to them. They practically solved themselves.

Linkzg said:
Like, just
getting that time bubble onto the cannon was really annoying.

How was that annoying in any way at all? The hard part is knowing you have to do that, the easy part is just jumping onto it.

RiskyChris said:
How was that annoying in any way at all? The hard part is knowing you have to do that, the easy part is just jumping onto it.

Because for that one specific thing I mentioned, you basically have to first way for the right pattern of fireballs so the goomba enemy can walk by unharmed, but the reason it is extra annoying is because everytime you drop the bubble, there is a good 2 seconds where your time is wasted having to leave that bubble since you get so slowed down. Factor in how many times you deal with that crap and it gets annoying.

Oh, and personally, one time I puzzle I would have loved to see is one that made you
either fast forward or rewind for a good while before things started to make sense. I think that would have been really cool.

AniHawk

Okay, I've been going pretty good with 5. I just need one more on
"crossing the bridge." There's one pink goomba thing I need to jump on to reach a puzzle piece that's above a platform far above the exit door.

AniHawk said:
Okay, I've been going pretty good with 5. I just need one more on
"crossing the bridge." There's one pink goomba thing I need to jump on to reach a puzzle piece that's above a platform far above the exit door.

It can interact with your shadow.

voltron

Ok so there is a star in the hub world.

On a related note... does anyone know how to scramble a puzzle thats already complete?

Proc

Wow. Just came in here to add my appreciation for this game. I got to spend some time with the demo tonight and after the first world clicked and I figured out how to get all the pieces to the puzzle, my mind was blown. Went out and grabbed some points and am about to support this brilliant game. Will most likely double dip on the PC but I hope the aforementioned additional content described on the 1up show makes its way via dlc.

HOLY SHIT TWO LEFT AND I'M PULLING MY FUCKING HAIR OUT!

I CAN DO THIS. I KNOW IT.

edit: fuck it, I'll walk away and come back with a fresh mind tomorrow. I'm not gonna look at a walkthrough even though I really really want to.

edit2:heh, one down. it all comes down to another castle.

GhaleonEB

Jtyettis said:
17,671 X $15=$265,065
I was curious how the game is doing now that the weekend has arrived. Yesterday afternoon, this is how many people were on the leaderboards. (It was the last count I found, might have missed one.)

Right now, there are 30,140.

If each one was a sale (I know, not all of them are) that's $452,100.

Even if the developers only get half, that's a really impressive haul in only three days for a $15 game that landed with no hype. Hopefully the game continues to sell well, and the reviews/word of mouth push it. I'd love to see 100k on the leaderboards.

AniHawk

Okay, World Six, There and Back Again (I think).

Lots of fireballs, goombas falling into fire pits, and some unreachable key on the far right side. Do I have to double jump and make it to the right side? Is that what this game wants me to do? Using the slow bubble of course

Dirtbag

GhaleonEB said:
OH MY FUCKING GOOOOOOD
Realizing what was really happening when I played the fire wall sequence (which I didn't have any issues with) backwards was was an amazing moment. Holy crap that was brilliant.

Now I can finally go back through the thread and read the spoilers! :lol

So what was your take on it all...
Was it:
A story about an alcoholic that drives away the princess(girlfriend) to another guy after he hits mistreats/abuses her, lands himself in another relationship with a chic that loves him that he totally ignores/uses... burns his stuff from his first girlfriend / shared memories in a dumpster after moving to the NY (big city) to run away from it all. The time angle is representative of his regret about his choices. The time ring (engagement ring?) from world 6 obviously the only thing he doesnt burn in the dumpster (see puzzle picture).

or is that knight in shining armor (during the fire scene) actually his false memory of himself, but the princess is obviously scared of him (calling him a 'monster)
because he is actually a creepy drunk stalker staring at her sleeping, outside of her window.

Sean

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I was curious how the game is doing now that the weekend has arrived. Yesterday afternoon, this is how many people were on the leaderboards. (It was the last count I found, might have missed one.)

Right now, there are 30,140.

If each one was a sale (I know, not all of them are) that's $452,100.

Even if the developers only get half, that's a really impressive haul in only three days for a $15 game that landed with no hype. Hopefully the game continues to sell well, and the reviews/word of mouth push it. I'd love to see 100k on the leaderboards.

That's very good... Hopefully it'll get another nice bump (from the 1up show segment, good word of mouth, etc). Is there an easier way to find the last person on the leaderboards rather than holding down RB forever?

LCfiner

I'm way behind most of you guys. I just finished world 2 and 3 and have around 3 or 4 puzzle pieces for the other 3 levels.

I'm a really bad lateral thinker. It takes me forever to get some of these puzzles. I'm totally useless on the second version of The Hunt (world 4) but I think (hope) I'll be able to get that tomorrow when I've had some sleep.

I need to get the music tracks for this game, too. I saw that Blow listed them on the game blog a while back. So awesome.

The game is hurting my brain but I think I like it.

Hootie

I just finished the demo and I was very surprised at the colorful world and awesome music. Not sure I'm going to drop 1200 points to get the full version

Also, World 4 is fucking with my head :lol I got all of the possible puzzles pieces in the demo but boy was I mindfucked in the process.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sean said:
That's very good... Hopefully it'll get another nice bump (from the 1up show segment, good word of mouth, etc). Is there an easier way to find the last person on the leaderboards rather than holding down RB forever?

Maybe make a new account/log onto an existing account that hasn't played it yet, go into the game, and check the leaderboards since the way it works should put you right at the bottom.

Hootie said:
I just finished the demo and I was very surprised at the colorful world and awesome music. Not sure I'm going to drop 1200 points to get the full version

Also, World 4 is fucking with my head :lol I got all of the possible puzzles pieces in the demo but boy was I mindfucked in the process.

Just finished the demo as well.

I'm pretty impressed, and I usually am not that impressed with the XBLA type games (They are usually more of a light, fun thing for me, but I tend not to really invest much into them) but this looks like it could be something very special.

I was literally mind blown like 3 just from the demo.
The start of it (I love it that there was no start screen, you just dive in), the picture/puzzle stuff thing (Brilliant...I was so happy with myself and the game when I realize that one had to move the picture to be able to jump to the next platform), and then that time shit with the music and the level reversing....
I'm gonna jump in and give the guy my 15 bucks.

And I'm already anxious to read more of his writings. I'm glad to see that he can take the story and themes seriously even though the game itself is very fairy tale looking.

Chris R

well I went and forced my brother to buy a 25$ point pack and beat the game today

Hardest two puzzles imo were

Shadow bounce, and 2nd piece of elevator
Only things I had to get help with.

With all the stars unlocked, do the books in the final chapter contain text? Also wtf at the noise on I think the 2nd screen to the left in the pit of the final chapter...

soco

RiskyChris said:
Can someone explain stars without spoiling them? There are 8?

you can see the constellation if you go to the world map kinda view, and walk back to the left, you'll see it hanging in the sky. from what i've read, they're just for collecting and don't have any additional effect on the game -- at least that anyone knows about yet. well someone said it that having them all makes the one tiny part of the game harder...

soco

rhfb said:
With all the stars unlocked, do the books in the final chapter contain text? Also wtf at the noise on I think the 2nd screen to the left in the pit of the final chapter...

only the red books have text, but if you leave a red book open and go to those places on each screen where you hear the 'noise' (singing), then it gives an alternate text for each of the red books. the green books are only there for challenge as they shut the red books...

voltron

Anyone going for all the stars....:

before you get the 2 hour 2-2 star, make sure you reset the whole game. There is a star in the hub world that requires the ability to move around individual puzzle pieces, and the only way to jumble up a completed puzzle is to start a new game (ie there is no way :()

Yes... there is no way to break apart a puzzle. A very stupid oversight.

rhfb said:
thanks for that, didnt know. Anyone know what all stars does?
Pretty much nothing. Unless I'm missing something (and others that have done it). I really wish it had added another puzzle pieces or something so it showed on the leaderboard.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
somehow i've ended up going for the full game speedrun achievement -- i don't care about achievements as such, but i felt like replaying the game. right now i'm at 55 minutes or something...and i'm actually pretty sure i can chop 10 minutes off my next run. there were several puzzles that i really screwed up on and now have efficient methods for

voltron

Psychotext said:
Yes... there is no way to break apart a puzzle. A very stupid oversight.

Pretty much nothing. Unless I'm missing something (and others that have done it). I really wish it had added another puzzle pieces or something so it showed on the leaderboard.

edit: I should learn to read.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Ok

so, endgame spoilers

Braid is about a man, Tim, balancing between a physical princess (a fiancé - see: ring) and a metaphorical princess (the construction of an atom bomb)

but where does the stalker angle come from. There are some strong connotations of violence in the epilgoue books (another place. she said: "Stop yanking on my arm; you're hurting me!") and of course, the actions portrayed in the reverse chase...

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT.

My intelligence absolutely has a fucking ceiling. I just watched the solution for the last puzzle piece on 5-4 and I swear to god I never in my life would have thought of that.

Holy shit that's brilliant.

Bernbaum

Amazing game. Serious contender for GOTY.

The sense of fulfillment after finally figuring out how to get that one piece is unique from other puzzle games. There is an elegant simplicity to to puzzles once they are solved, and the game really makes you think about actions in both time and space.

Here is the soundtrack:

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=260

Opus Angelorum said:
Is that the one called Last Castle? Where are you stuck?

I had a moment of clearity (amazing what a cup of tea might do to you) and just experinced the epilogue, holy hell!

Some pages ago people were talking abou stars and red books, what is all this? Didn't see any mention of this after the epilogue?

Vinterbird said:
Some pages ago people were talking abou stars and red books, what is all this? Didn't see any mention of this after the epilogue?

Walk back outside of the house and look at the sky.
There are 8 hidden stars throughout the game.

rhino4evr

can some please explain what this game is actually about. I may have blown a few brain cells trying to figure out Level 5 and Im kinda lost.

Also

what's this about stars? do you get them on your first playthrough, or only once you've finished? Are they hidden? because I don't remember seeing them

GhaleonEB

Dirtbag 504 said:
So what was your take on it all...
Was it:
A story about an alcoholic that drives away the princess(girlfriend) to another guy after he hits mistreats/abuses her, lands himself in another relationship with a chic that loves him that he totally ignores/uses... burns his stuff from his first girlfriend / shared memories in a dumpster after moving to the NY (big city) to run away from it all. The time angle is representative of his regret about his choices. The time ring (engagement ring?) from world 6 obviously the only thing he doesnt burn in the dumpster (see puzzle picture).

or is that knight in shining armor (during the fire scene) actually his false memory of himself, but the princess is obviously scared of him (calling him a 'monster)
because he is actually a creepy drunk stalker staring at her sleeping, outside of her window.
I need to think about it some more, re-read the story and epiloge bits.

Right now, I think the first is right. He was an alcoholic, and he either abused her ("he considered violence") or was a nightmare to deal with. And while he tells himself that he was the one who walked out, I think what happened was, he left one day and came home to find that SHE had left him.

I think most of the narrative at the end is from a depressed, intoxicated perspective, stalking the girl as she moves on. Metaphorically, the disaster that is his life has been constructed out of the mistakes he's made, thus the castle at the end. And while he acknowledges it and understands his past mistakes - he can't learn from them and change his present or future. He's too obsessed with the past to really change.

rhino4evr

OK

so in the end, he is at her window, and she freaks out and runs? He's become obsessed with her after a bad break up, he's an abusive alcoholic. So why was the city burning? Did he go crazy and start fires? A little confused

rhino4evr said:
OK

so in the end, he is at her window, and she freaks out and runs? He's become obsessed with her after a bad break up, he's an abusive alcoholic. So why was the city burning? Did he go crazy and start fires? A little confused
I think it's the breakdown of his reality. Notice that each world gets darker from World 2 where your perfect image of looking for the princess begins.

Top Bottom