• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Dartastic

I'm stuck in World 5. I'm completely stumped as to how to get the last puzzle piece (the one with the two doors, and one key that when you use it you can't use it again) and the first one in the room with the puzzle. Ack. Help?

GhaleonEB

Hmm. The
hidden text in each book of the Epilogue
really adds a lot of context. It has me re-thinking the entire premise.

Dartastic said:
I'm stuck in World 5. I'm completely stumped as to how to get the last puzzle piece (the one with the two doors, and one key that when you use it you can't use it again) and the first one in the room with the puzzle. Ack. Help?

A grey key will work.

AniHawk

Beat it last night. Incredible. World 5 is probably my favorite.

Dartastic said:

This one was awesome.

Last level was pretty cool. Didn't play the game for the story, but it was neat to see how that unfolded.

But yeah, my GotY. Something else is gonna have to come out of nowhere like this did for me. I think Mirror's Edge is the only other game I'll be this into this year (if it turns out how I think it will).

GhaleonEB

Over 33,000 on the leader boards. Sales seem pretty steady.

I'm going to start my quest for the
stars
tonight, I think.

I had to drink from the video well again in World 6, just because of precision. I knew what I had to do but I needed to know the best place for the ring.

I'm sorry, Braid.

:(

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Man this game is kicking my ass. I still can't get the last piece in world 2. :(

Edit: HOLY FUCK I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!

Took me forever too.

Then it just hit me

and I was like fuck well if i'm stepping on the damn painting in the first place, cant I just move it?

suck at puzzle games this one's gonna give me some trouble, I'm going to see how long I can hold out before I come here for the helps

One question about the last
star
:

You get up to the Princess by riding the chandelier, that much I know. But I just tried a run even though I don't have the other stars, and I couldn't physically get from the last nipper plant to the top of the chandelier before it gets too high, even trying to time my jump to the instant it starts dropping. Am I still just missing a perfect millisecond, or is it physically impossible until you get the other 7 stars?

Edit: Found out the solution,
it is impossible, because the switches become time-independent once you get seven stars, but not beforehand.

Did some reading about what happens when you get all of "those":

The Braid level fire wall gets harder, and one of the blocks disappears from the castle in Epilogue? People figure out it's the 4-4 Hunt one. Everything in the game is supposed to have meaning, and so...

Sanjuro

I downloaded the demo. Seems alright and very beautiful...does it get much better? Been out of the gaming loop have never heard of this game.

Kreed

I have to thank GAF once again for yet another great video game experience I would have otherwise missed out on/never even known about if I hadn't read a topic about it. I went from reading the latest Penny Arcade topic about the game and going "What the hell is Braid?", to seeing this topic on the front page, to downloading the demo, to purchasing the game and getting all the puzzle pieces and finishing the game (avoiding all spoilers/this topic until then).

I now know I have to
go back and get the stars
but otherwise I really enjoyed the title. I'm still a bit confused by the ending and the overall story, especially after reading some of the other interpretations posted here.
The different interpretations of the metaphoric princess, leaving his wife, his wife leaving him, being an alcoholic and becoming a stalker, building atom bombs and such all sound good but none of them seem to fit together. Reading the story backwards did seem to make things clearer but I still feel like I haven't gotten the right interpretation/the full story.
But otherwise, another great GAF recommendation.

Sanjuro

I want to buy this game now but I don't have any points! I thought the whole purpose of digital downloads were so you don't need to leave your home and purchase pre-paid cards. Last time I gave Microsoft my credit card left me on the phone for hours trying to get them to remove my credit card.

"suck at puzzle games this one's gonna give me some trouble, I'm going to see how long I can hold out before I come here for the helps"

Ya, it seems if I take breaks after being stuck for 10-15 mins it really helps me solve them. Like the last piece I got I was like this is crap and then I booted it back up and I was O shit all I have to do is...

Ben Sones

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I want to buy this game now but I don't have any points! I thought the whole purpose of digital downloads were so you don't need to leave your home and purchase pre-paid cards. Last time I gave Microsoft my credit card left me on the phone for hours trying to get them to remove my credit card.

Er... you don't have to leave your house, but you do need to use a credit card. I'm not sure what alternative you were expecting. I'm sure Microsoft would like to be able to magically teleport money directly from your pocket to their bank account, but the technology is just not there yet.

FrankT

Leaderboards update, 33,773.

Gross $506,595

This puts it at the 2nd best selling XBLA title under Geo Wars 2. Depending on when it hit 32,000 last night it either tied for the highest gross or was the highest grossing title in 3 days to date (Geo Wars 2 did $480,000 in 3 days). So, I think we can safely say the price point crying really hasn't held this title back whatsoever.

MrDaravon

This game makes me feel stupid, I've spent HOURS on shit and still can't figure it out. I need to stay the hell away from puzzle games.

LCfiner

Jtyettis said:

Gross $506,595

This puts it at the 2nd best selling XBLA title under Geo Wars 2. Depending on when it hit 32,000 last night it either tied for the highest gross or was the highest grossing title in 3 days to date (Geo Wars 2 did $480,000 in 3 days). So, I think we can safely say the price point crying really hasn't held this title back whatsoever.

I'm so happy to see this. It really deserves all this success.

Sanjuro

Ben Sones said:
Er... you don't have to leave your house, but you do need to use a credit card. I'm not sure what alternative you were expecting. I'm sure Microsoft would like to be able to magically teleport money directly from your pocket to their bank account, but the technology is just not there yet.
I think you missed the part where I said they don't allow you to delete your credit card information.

Simply. Used prepaid cards for LIVE service / Used credit card for points. They keep your card on file for points. When subscription ran out, billed a then invalid credit card $50 for service and banned my account as it declined. After lasting 2 hours on the phone with them they finally allowed me to use my prepaid cards for LIVE I have saved up.

I'd recommend to anyone that is playing through to get the
stars
, do it with one of Jami Sierber's records playing in the background (Second Sight is my favourite).

You will be taken to a different place.

Gowans

Jtyettis said:

Gross $506,595

So awesome.

Ben Sones

RiskyChris said:
Awesome shot!

Here's a question: is it my imagination, or is the constellation (the lines connecting the stars, not the stars themselves) different in that shot than it is in the game? In my game, there is a line connecting the star at the upper left with the middle star in the center, rather than with the top star (as in that image). Did they change that art before it went into the game, or does it change in the game at some point?

R0nn

What a beautiful, gorgeous, compelling experience this game is! It's one of the best game related experiences I ever had. The inventive puzzles, the deep storyline, the fantastic atmosphere, the stunning graphical style, the beautiful music...every single self respecting gamer owes it to himself to experience this.

I still have to figure out a lot about the story though. There's so much subtlety and depth to it. Compared to other games, this is an entirely different ballgame. About the ending:
I was wondering how everyone managed to get all the alternate takes of every book during the epilogue. I discovered two, one of which I wasn't able to read because the text was too high up. Also, what's up with the green books with no text in them? Is that stuff unlockable?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gowans007 said:
Nice to see it doing really well and people having fun with the game.

Just been having a flick through the Braid blog and found some nice wallpaper material posted my Jonathan in the comments.

http://braid-game.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/braid_hourglass_1024.jpg

http://www.davidhellman.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/aob07-pan.jpg

He also mentioned he's going to do a post regarding Braids sales today (hopefully he mentions his feelings on the reception of the game etc. too)
Is there anyway he could post a stupidly large screenshot for the game poster thread?

SapientWolf said:
Is there anyway he could post a stupidly large screenshot for the game poster thread?

I would totally print out a massive poster for some of the levels in this game.

Edit: I would also buy, hint.

Ben Sones said:
Here's a question: is it my imagination, or is the constellation (the lines connecting the stars, not the stars themselves) different in that shot than it is in the game? In my game, there is a line connecting the star at the upper left with the middle star in the center, rather than with the top star (as in that image). Did they change that art before it went into the game, or does it change in the game at some point?

It changes in the game.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
So awesome.
Confession: when reading back through the thread after I beat it, I took the number of players on the leaderboards every time someone posted them in here and tossed it in Excel, with time and date stamp. So now I have a trend every 12 hours or so since launch, how it's sold per hour in those intervals....

It's doing very well. I'd love to see the gross get to $1m. I can see it happening in a week.

Dirtbag

Domino Theory said:
Stuck at last level of World 4; any help?
It's the one with the key that follows you if you go backwards

dont cheat you pussy! The payoff is much better if you beat it on your own.

Beat it last night. Well, technically today since it was late night already.

WOW!!! Braid achieved status of being the first XBLA game that I finished. My XBLA library is small and most are never ending games.

So far this is the biggest surprise for me this year including retail titles. Didn't expect to have this much fun. It was more than 9-10 hrs for me. And it feels very rewarding because I finished it without even a single hint. Got stuck in world 4 for little big longer.

Story twist was very surprising. It is like movie
Fight Club. All the time you were watching/playing fantasy of Tim.
. After epilogue,
I was expecting credits but popping back at the same location where game starts is nice little touch.

Music selection is just perfect. Usually you don't see music selection as good as in Braid in downloadable titles.

Will buy DLC levels if it's ever released. Totally worth 1200 spacebucks for unique experience I had. I would love to see full scale retail version of Braid with tons of platforming with puzzle elements.

Last,

I can't read all story text. How do I get to read fully story text? Green books in epilogue don't have any text. Is it supposed to be that way?

And for Stars, Do I have to do anything other than just collecting them? There was some discussion of not being able to break apart puzzle or something? Is it related to collecting stars?

Good to know it is selling well. Braid deserves that.

AniHawk

Domino Theory said:
Stuck at last level of World 4; any help?
It's the one with the key that follows you if you go backwards

I didn't figure this out until almost the end,
but the key repeats the movements you made moving right if you move left.

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
I can't read all story text. How do I get to read fully story text? Green books in epilogue don't have any text. Is it supposed to be that way?
I'm red/green colorblind, so I can't tell which is which. But some of the books close the one you want to read. And each of those books
has a hidden, seperate set of text. The book needs to be open, then stand where the vocal sound is (when you are off screen). Each room has a puzzle to make that happen, but the alternate text adds a LOT of context to the story.

GhaleonEB said:
Confession: when reading back through the thread after I beat it, I took the number of players on the leaderboards every time someone posted them in here and tossed it in Excel, with time and date stamp. So now I have a trend every 12 hours or so since launch, how it's sold per hour in those intervals....

It's doing very well. I'd love to see the gross get to $1m. I can see it happening in a week.

Me too. But I think sales will slow down because there are well known titles coming for next couple of weeks. People will move on in hordes until it stops. I'm sure Braid will get more sales slowly as words of mouth spreads.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm red/green colorblind, so I can't tell which is which. But some of the books close the one you want to read. And each of those books
has a hidden, seperate set of text. The book needs to be open, then stand where the vocal sound is (when you are off screen). Each room has a puzzle to make that happen, but the alternate text adds a LOT of context to the story.
Oh. Didn't know that. Will read it now.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
MirageDwarf said:
Story twist was very surprising. It is like movie
Fight Club. All the time you were watching/playing fantasy of Tim.
. After epilogue,
I was expecting credits but popping back at the same location where game starts is nice little touch.

If you like
Fight Club watch Memento. It will blow your mind. It's also very Braidesque, the story is told in reverse :p

LCfiner

quick and dirty iphone wallpapaer. I'm using this now. thought I'd share.

braid_iphone.jpg

McBacon said:
If you like
Fight Club
watch Memento. It will blow your mind. It's also very Braidesque, the story is told in reverse :p

The fuck you gonna tell someone to watch that movie and say that? :lol

DuckRacer

So when I first bought the game, I thought it was brilliant. Then I played World 5 and absolutely hated it. Then I'm playing World 5 again learning to understand the mechanic and I'm loving it. I'm on 5-4 though and I can't get the last puzzle piece.
I've tried jumping off the middle platform, then I tried getting to the top of the high platform and jumping off that, but then I barely scrape the middle platform.
Any tips?

edit: I figured it out. I love this game.

i played it and beat it. it was enjoyable solving the puzzles. however i was listening to podcasts while i beat it, so im kinda lost on the storyline. Ive been browsing this thread and it seems like most of you dont understand it either. can anyone piece together the storyline for me?

Top Bottom