• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

ramyeon

Chapter 6 onwards spoilers.
Man I'm really burned out on this game. Having to fight the same bosses time and time over again has just got to me. There's so little new story introduced each time as well. It has just become a chore. No wonder hardly anyone completed the game to the true ending on its initial release in Japan. I was smitten with it for the first 30-40 hours and now I just hope I can finish the damn thing. I really hope the sequel doesn't do anything like this.

Regarding the twist
I'm on Chapter 5 and still enjoying it so far. But I didn't go straight for the sub bosses myself. I went around the world and got all the long delay steal/drops and genome abilities before finishing Chapter 4, then bummed around in Chapter 5 doing the same thing. Gave me a fair bit of a break before hitting up the bosses again. The differences are fun too.

Though the implication seems to be that Ominous Crow killed this world's 4 Heroes (he drops the sword Edea starts with and Heinkel doesn't act like he's already fought you unlike Bahr / Holly / Ominous. Ouch.

Fighting the lvl 80 Belphegor nemesis, it keeps crashing my 3DS :S Anyone else have this too?

Edit: Yup, non stop crashing after a certain amount of time.

There's a BDFtS achievement for registering a physical copy of the game... I guess SQEX doesn't care about digital version owners.

At least the new achievement and quest system is better organized than BDFF's. You can actually tell when you've participated in a Bravely Quest now, unlike last year.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Chapter 6 onwards spoilers.
Man I'm really burned out on this game. Having to fight the same bosses time and time over again has just got to me. There's so little new story introduced each time as well. It has just become a chore. No wonder hardly anyone completed the game to the true ending on its initial release in Japan. I was smitten with it for the first 30-40 hours and now I just hope I can finish the damn thing. I really hope the sequel doesn't do anything like this.

Yes, it was the same thing for me.

There's a BDFtS achievement for registering a physical copy of the game... I guess SQEX doesn't care about digital version owners.

At least the new achievement and quest system is better organized than BDFF's. You can actually tell when you've participated in a Bravely Quest now, unlike last year.

I registered mine, didn't get the achievement :x And in the meantime, I have changed passwords and can't figure out how to tell the game that.

I registered mine, didn't get the achievement :x And in the meantime, I have changed passwords and can't figure out how to tell the game that.

I got the achievement immediately after registering :v
I just bought one of those motion items for the achievement...
iLEFdB6k9I53s.gif

I know no shame.

Is it just me or is the turn order really inconsistent? Really annoying on bosses where I think someone is going to go first so I have them use healing items only for the person who needs them to end up dead out of nowhere

edit: Seriously. Fighting the ninja chick and every single god damn time my hard hitters are buffed up and I'm ready to go she gets the first hit and KOs them. None of my characters have a lower speed stat than her

nvm turns out she was using a priority attack. Man that fight was annoying

Argh I can't import my data from Flying Fairy. Here's the timeline of what happened:
Bought FTS.
Registered Square Enix Members account.
Got a Bravely Code for FTS.
One week later booted up my copy of FF.
Uploaded save data.
Got a Bravely Code for FF.
It's been more than a day, but no matter how many times I try to enter the FF code into http://special.member.jp.square-enix.com/bdff/player/key, I get an invalid code error.

I was trying to enter the serial codes acquired from the artbook and the two novels and it kept failing. I eventually had the bright idea of accessing the Square member's site from my phone, and that solved the problem I was facing.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So while the salve maker had it coming, I really did not feel like taking down Barbarossa (of course i still did, for the darn asterisk). Anybody else felt like sparing some of the asterisk bearers?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, this seems quite difficult now

Chaugmar. It has 40,000 of life, and I attack it with basically everything I have, including lighting attacks, but then it goes with that explosion and, even with "Reflection", it destroys at least half of my team. And then, I have to bring back to life the others in my team, and so I lose possibilities for defaulting while he's protected, and then he does the explosion attack again and...dead.
Maybe I need to power myself a little more? My team
Tiz - Lv. 35 - Ranger Lv. 9
Agnés - Lv. 36 - White Mage Lv. 9
Ringabel - Lv. 36 - Red Mage Lv. 9
Edea - Lv. 36 - The class that uses Swordmagic (Don't know its english name) Lv. 9

I accept every advice. I need help ;_;

Leezard

Chaugmar. It has 40,000 of life, and I attack it with basically everything I have, including lighting attacks, but then it goes with that explosion and, even with "Reflection", it destroys at least half of my team. And then, I have to bring back to life the others in my team, and so I lose possibilities for defaulting while he's protected, and then he does the explosion attack again and...dead.
Edea - Lv. 36 - The class that uses Swordmagic (Don't know its english name) Lv. 9

It's definitely possible to beat at that level, even if it can be difficult. I beat him at Lv. 38.
Steal Fulmen Shards from monsters near Ancheim, use a salve maker and compound them for 2250 damage that goes through his barrier. If you have the support skill Attack Item Up (from Salve maker), it deals 3375 damage through his barrier each time you combine them. You need 2 Fulmen shards for each combination.

Normal way:
His attacking patterns is too obvious. 3 turn use normal/steal moves (hp/mp/bp) -> remove barrier -> explosion -> add barrier. If your char move slower than Chaugmar, set them to attack the turn it remove the barrier while if faster, attack during the turn it apply barrier (except for healer which heals during barrier removed/applied). Make sure they have enough hp to survive the explosion while Defaulting

Istaerion

This is probably a silly question, but do you require Bravely Default: Flying Fairy to play Bravely Default: For the Sequel? Or is it just stand-alone?

This is specifically regarding the Japanese physical copies.

This is probably a silly question, but do you require Bravely Default: Flying Fairy to play Bravely Default: For the Sequel? Or is it just stand-alone?

This is specifically regarding the Japanese physical copies.

Nope. It's stand-alone so no need to have Flying Fairy if you have physical copy of For the Sequel.

Mpl90

It's definitely possible to beat at that level, even if it can be difficult. I beat him at Lv. 38.
Steal Fulmen Shards from monsters near Ancheim, use a salve maker and compound them for 2250 damage that goes through his barrier. If you have the support skill Attack Item Up (from Salve maker), it deals 3375 damage through his barrier each time you combine them. You need 2 Fulmen shards for each combination.

So, I have to beat Qada first, then. Eh, another difficult task, since he uses Regeneration after the first two turns and it goes on and on and on for the whole battle. Guess I'll have to attack much more, then. Prepare yourself, 100,000 thousand soldiers killer: I'm coming to you!

It's in moments like this that I seriously love the encounter ratio :lol

Leezard

So, I have to beat Qada first, then. Eh, another difficult task, since he uses Regeneration after the first two turns and it goes on and on and on for the whole battle. Guess I'll have to attack much more, then. Prepare yourself, 100,000 thousand soldiers killer: I'm coming to you!

It's in moments like this that I seriously love the encounter ratio :lol

For Qada,
you can use dispel (white mage) to cancel the regeneration.

Mpl90

For Qada,
you can use dispel (white mage) to cancel the regeneration.

Perfect, I was thinking about that when I bought it, but you just confirmed it. Thanks to both you and Kuroneko :D

Akito

So I'm at the beginning of chapter 6, how should I proceed?
Looking at the FAQ on GF, I should go do all the stuff all over again but try to destroy the final crystal to get to the final chapter. After beating the game that way, a clear save file will be created which will put me back at the final crystal so I can release it and get the true ending. Does that seem about right?

Just arrived at Chapter 4, currently lvl 49 with everyone and setup is like this for now:

Tiz - lvl49 - Thief lvl12 w/Monk
Agnès - lvl49 - White Mage lvl12 w/Freelancer
Ringabel - lvl49 - Monk lvl12 w/Time Mage
Edea - lvl49 - Black Mage lvl12 w/Freelancer

Needless to say I love the Growth Egg. But now I don't really want to switch jobs until I get to a really good grinding spot. I'm progressing quite nicely in the story and don't want to have less stats while battling the Council.
I hope such good EXP/JP grinding spot isn't too far from where I am.

It transforms during the 4th turn I believe. What I did was default with everyone else for 4 turns then on the 4th with just a performer brave 3 times and buff everyone. I buffed attack and magic attack, if necessary buff magic defense. Once it transforms it always does energy burst or whatever its called. If everyone survives, hit it with everything you've got. It's demon and weak to lightning so set up your special attacks to exploit that. Once I finally got it, I sweeped it on that one turn. Took a while to get to that point though.

Also, what's a good subclass for swordmaster?

So I just killed a Lv10 Beelzebub that was streetpassed to my JPN version from a EUR copy and I got nothing. Nothing to steal, nothing dropped. I just defaulted all the time waiting for some genome ability to appear, but nothing. Is that normal? What items can I get and from which Nemeses can I get them?

Mistle

My copy finally arrived! Pretty excited to start, feeling a bit daunting though as I've never been one to get into the nitty gritty RPG elements. Hopefully I pick it up fairly quickly. I dislike grinding to raise stats and with the multiple jobs it seems it may get a bit full on. Does switching to easy still provide a challenge or will that ruin the experience? (of course I'll start of normal and see how it goes)

As long as the world/story/characters are half interesting I'll enjoy the game. I already know the art style is fantastic (apart from character models) and the battle system is good from the demo, so that's comforting.

Finally made it past chapter 3. I think it represented about half my time with the game at 15 hours

and the Ice Golem killed me... Glad I had autosave on, otherwise I'd have to do the Behemoth battle again

God the wait for this is unbearable. My friends surprised me with a full pre-order for the Limited Edition as an Xmas gift. Hype levels are off the charts.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Goddamn how understocked is this in australia?

Two weeks in a row that its sold out.

Thank god for the eshop update though. I have no qualms with buying 3DS games digitally now.

Mistle

Just started, maybe 30 mins in. Damn, those 2D backgrounds are even better than I expected. Phenomenal art style, can't wait to see more of the world.

The general atmosphere of the game and the way the story plays out seems right up my alley so far, in terms of production and such. I can only imagine it gets better, as 30 mins is hardly enough to judge. Pretty excited to play more, but first I'm going to finish up ALBW.

Goddamn how understocked is this in australia?

Two weeks in a row that its sold out.

Thank god for the eshop update though. I have no qualms with buying 3DS games digitally now.
If you're in Melbourne I saw two copies in the CBD JB-HIFI just earlier today.

They must be well stocked in general because it was also the first time I'd seen W101 in the wild, haha

Shun

Did anyone test the costume codes included with Yoshida's Design Works, Notebook of D, Drama CD, etc?

I just got the art book and I'm hoping it works on the EU version cause if it does, then it'd probably work on the NA one in February.

It looks like there's a few more hours left until the first BDFtS Bravely Quest closes, so please perform データ更新 to increase the population as much as possible before the deadline, thanks.
edit: Do a 更新 to get net friends, then save, then do one more 更新 so SQEX can get your most recent Norende population. You should also participate through the Members' Site if you want the rod and katana.

Did anyone test the costume codes included with Yoshida's Design Works, Notebook of D, Drama CD, etc?

I just got the art book and I'm hoping it works on the EU version cause if it does, then it'd probably work on the NA one in February.

Where exactly would you test them?

Shun

It looks like there's a few more hours left until the first BDFtS Bravely Quest closes, so please perform データ更新 to increase the population as much as possible before the deadline, thanks.

What I meant was would those codes work with a non-JP version of FtS.

edit: Do a 更新 to get net friends, then save, then do one more 更新 so SQEX can get your most recent Norende population. You should also participate through the Members' Site if you want the rod and katana.

The Bravely Quest is a community thing isn't it? Yesterday's count was about 20% short of the goal. I think we're not going to make it...

The Red Mage subquest, Holy shit at the
DeRosa
fight, either I was way underlevelled or I was just doing something wrong 'cause I went through about 9 Phoenix Downs in that fight,

Chapter 5 or 6 I think it is? After the twist. Grab the Growth Egg from Norende and JP Up ability from Freelancer to expedite the process.

Great. Still in early Chapter 4 so I'm not too far off. The last few abilities are so good, I feel kind of dirty gettting access to them from abilink atm lol

Auskeek

The only thing I'm a bit iffy on regarding this game so far is how you get specials.

With some weapons it's extremely easy and I can get two specials in a single battle (spear for example you get the special by doing ?10 physical attacks) while with some weapons I'm straight out not going to see the special move ever (eg. the dagger, which requires you to use 5 items).

Otherwise, I'm 25 hours in and I wish I got that collectors edition because I love this game.

Top Bottom