• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

I'm really enjoying Hard Mode in this game. Making me to use weird strategy against bosses lol...
Poor Kamiizumi getting bombarded with Compounding spam :p

So the game's story isn't all that good? I've found lately (due to a lack of both patience and time) that I can only really get into JRPGs if I'm actually engaged by the story and characters.

I think it's good. What happens is that, as the poster above me stated, it starts out straightforward and things go like something of a cliché but it doesn't take long for things to twist and turn in a lot of unexpected ways. Furthermore, if you're willing to explore the sidequests that provide a lot of the backstory for characters and so on, you'll find a lot of interesting stuff.

That said, it's certainly not perfect and the main factor for playing this should be the absolutely amazing gameplay. Storywise it won't win any awards but as far as Jrpg's go, it doesn't go batshit crazy, it remains in the realms of the understandable, sometimes frustrating, but all in all pretty good.

aravuus

So the game's story isn't all that good? I've found lately (due to a lack of both patience and time) that I can only really get into JRPGs if I'm actually engaged by the story and characters.

It's alright, not as good as it was hyped up to be. The story won't engage you, I can tell you that much. First 20 hours it's the most generic fantasy story ever, then there's the twist, really intriguing at first... And then they don't really do that much with it.

Akito

DeRosso became a joke once
I found out about rampart
, that's another sidequest taken care of :)
Storyspoiler:
Welp, they might as well spell out loud that Airy is evil.

DeRosso became a joke once
I found out about rampart
, that's another sidequest taken care of :)
Storyspoiler:
Welp, they might as well spell out loud that Airy is evil.

They do mentioned it 'hidden' in the subtitle 'Where the Fairy Flies (EU)/Flying Fairy(JP)' :p

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
They do mentioned it 'hidden' in the subtitle 'Where the Fairy Flies (EU)/Flying Fairy(JP)' :p

Major spoilers:
I just noticed the title screen changes as well once you are past a certain point in the game, the other letters fade and it shows only "Airy Lies". That's actually where i realized the whole drop the F F of both subtitles

Taruranto

Got the Performer Job. Boss kicked my ass the first time, but I won once I took it slowly and bothered dispelling the Boss buff/debuff.

So far my team has been:

Tiz - Pirate, I'm using Spellfencer as a sub-job, but honestly I feel I'm not using the job at its full streght.

Agnès - Time Mage/White Mage, mostly dedicated to heal and dispel debuff.

Edea - Valkyrie. Does some pretty good damage.

Ringabel has been Thief with now, but I've switched him to Performer, the Buffs seem pretty good. Dunno what sub-job I should use, for now I'm sticking to Red Mage.

Holy crud at the
new
world map monsters in
Chapter 5
. I was just walking around learning
genomes
and steal stuff and then I get slaughtered by tag teams of 3 undead in
Eisenburg

DiamondDogs

Neo Member
To everyone who has played Braverly Default is this game for me?

My RPG tastes are really unique. I understanding Braverly Default is more like the old school Final Fantasy but how much so? Is it anything like Final Fantasy 7 in terms of combat and story? Or is it like Final Fantasy 1-5?

My RPG tastes are really unique. I understanding Braverly Default is more like the old school Final Fantasy but how much so? Is it anything like Final Fantasy 7 in terms of combat and story? Or is it like Final Fantasy 1-5?

You're going to have to more specific. Apart from being 3D instead of sprite FFVII is very similar to IV/V/VI even the Materia system is an extension of the Magicite of VI.

If you mean the more modern world setting, then Bravely Default is the weird schizo-tech pseudo-medieval seen in III / IV / V / VI rather than the more obvious blend of future tech and fantasy found in VII and VIII (and XIII).

I haven't enjoyed an RPG this much since FF7 so if that's the go for you, get on board i say.
I have not played 1-6 FYI

Taruranto

It's basically FFIII with FFV Job System if it was released today, better production values and an updated Battle System.

I don't think it's close to FFVII+ at all. (Well, except IX I guess because the game is pretty fantasy, but aside from that It feels more close to FFIII-IV DS)

Jindrael

Banned
Currently leveling pirate on Edea and I'm not that impressed, maybe it will get a lot better, was pretty disappointed to find out that Double Damage uses a fixed percentage of mana =/

Mass Attack can probably be abused, full party of Pirates, prepare everyone with low HP and spam Mass Attack with everyone :D

kiryogi

Banned
Thing about Bravely Default is I don't think I've felt that good about beating a boss battle like this in a RPG in such a long time. It actually feels like a good and rewarding accomplishment when you manage those difficult battles.

Jacobbles

Question about Chapter 5: (sorry if this has been asked before)

Is there a point to fighting the asterisk-holders again? What do you get out of it?

Question about Chapter 5: (sorry if this has been asked before)

Is there a point to fighting the asterisk-holders again? What do you get out of it?

You can steal good stuff from them (Rob Blind heavily recommended since a lot of it is limited availability) and they often drop good stuff too. From what I've seen so far you may learn a bit more about them too

ZeroX03

Banned
Just got to Chapter 7... it's starting to drag. Getting tempted to just set the difficulty to Easy and power through to the True Ending. I want my explanations, damnit.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Just got to Chapter 7... it's starting to drag. Getting tempted to just set the difficulty to Easy and power through to the True Ending. I want my explanations, damnit.

That's what i did for most of 5-8. I regret nothing.

Also finished the game. Clocked 72 hours. Not sure how i feel about the game, i'll need a few days to think without having my mind clouded by that awful second part.

DiamondDogs

Neo Member
You're going to have to more specific. Apart from being 3D instead of sprite FFVII is very similar to IV/V/VI even the Materia system is an extension of the Magicite of VI.

If you mean the more modern world setting, then Bravely Default is the weird schizo-tech pseudo-medieval seen in III / IV / V / VI rather than the more obvious blend of future tech and fantasy found in VII and VIII (and XIII).

I haven't enjoyed an RPG this much since FF7 so if that's the go for you, get on board i say.
I have not played 1-6 FYI

It's basically FFIII with FFV Job System if it was released today, better production values and an updated Battle System.

I don't think it's close to FFVII+ at all. (Well, except IX I guess because the game is pretty fantasy, but aside from that It feels more close to FFIII-IV DS)

Okay guys. Think I might wait on a sale on this or skip. Doesn`t seem like my type of game.

Aeana

Well, thanks to that nemesis/elixir trick, I now have way more money than I'll ever need in the game. It certainly makes up for the stupid nerfing of dark cartel/big pharma.

zlCfzRQGbDkzKLESQl

Will I get the BDFtS achievements just by linking the BDFF and BDFtS games? Or do I have to import things like Character Levels and Job Levels to get the related Achievements? The Members Site says the Achievements are unlocked as long as the Bravely Code is the same. Does BDFtS have its own Bravely Code?

tldr; Do I have to do the achievements all over again from scratch or will my old ones count?

Also, will I receive the pertinent reward DLC even I've received the same items in BDFF? :/

ss-hikaru

Pretty much all I've been doing in my spare time is play this game and I'm only partway through Chapter 3 >.<

It's fun though, but I've been wiped out in random battles a couple of times because I forget to turn auto-battle off ^^; I haven't found the time mage or merchant classes very useful/interesting although now that I've kinda hit a wall with the jobs I like at level9/10 I might try level them up to see if the abilities/support skills get better.

Interesting that streetpasses from the demo count towards your village in the full game, i wasn't expecting them to.

tofupants

Neo Member
I think it's good. What happens is that, as the poster above me stated, it starts out straightforward and things go like something of a cliché but it doesn't take long for things to twist and turn in a lot of unexpected ways. Furthermore, if you're willing to explore the sidequests that provide a lot of the backstory for characters and so on, you'll find a lot of interesting stuff.

That said, it's certainly not perfect and the main factor for playing this should be the absolutely amazing gameplay. Storywise it won't win any awards but as far as Jrpg's go, it doesn't go batshit crazy, it remains in the realms of the understandable, sometimes frustrating, but all in all pretty good.

I've been really enjoying it so far. I was not expecting it to be high art but heck 35 hours in & somewhere just after a ghost ship and it's been a generous & importantly fun jrpg. Little side quests, jobs to grind and a town to build!

I'm not sure what some people have been expecting. Sure it's not as fantastic as say FF9, FF Tactics or Skies of Arcadia but it's more charming than the Tales games (and I like them a lot).

Great turn based intelligent combat & an ace art style.

Jacobbles

Well, thanks to that nemesis/elixir trick, I now have way more money than I'll ever need in the game. It certainly makes up for the stupid nerfing of dark cartel/big pharma.

zlCfzRQGbDkzKLESQl

And what is this trick? Is it easy to do? I'm hurting for pg where I am in the game.

Edit: Nevermind. Steal Elixir from Mammon then flee. Rinse and repeat. Gonna try this now.

Edit 2: The Mammon I have only has Ethers- Googling reveals this is happening for other people as well. Apparently some have Ethers and some have Elixirs, but nobody seems sure why. Does someone with an Elixir Mammon wanna be my friend? Because that'd sure help me a lot: 3050-7596-6771

Jacobbles

Sorry for the double-post, but I'm worried I may have screwed up my game :<

Chapter 5 onwards spoilers:
So during Chapter 5, I kept mashing X and destroyed one of the crystals. I literally only did it to see what would happen, but christ. Story stuff happened that didn't make sense to me yet (my characters suddenly knew about stuff that hadn't happened in my game yet, so I guess I was meant to destroy the crystal later?), and then I was thrown into the Finale chapter. I had Autosave on :/

My question is, am I boned? Am I under-levelled for this (team is 60), and have I locked myself out of content? I feel like an idiot right now.

ramyeon

Sorry for the double-post, but I'm worried I may have screwed up my game :<

Chapter 5 onwards spoilers:
So during Chapter 5, I kept mashing X and destroyed one of the crystals. I literally only did it to see what would happen, but christ. Story stuff happened that didn't make sense to me yet (my characters suddenly knew about stuff that hadn't happened in my game yet, so I guess I was meant to destroy the crystal later?), and then I was thrown into the Finale chapter. I had Autosave on :/

My question is, am I boned? Am I under-levelled for this (team is 60), and have I locked myself out of content? I feel like an idiot right now.
You won't be able to get the True Ending.

ramyeon

NOOO GODDAMN IT

I knew I should have turned off Autosave :(
According to the FAQ I read if you clear it with the Alternate Ending and then load that cleared save file it should take you back to the point where you have to release crystals. Can't confirm myself, maybe someone else can.

Ironjam

NOOO GODDAMN IT

I knew I should have turned off Autosave :(

Dont worry you arent boned.

After you finish the finale the game will put you back to before the crystal release segment, so you can still get the true ending. Also you can finish the finale at lvl 60 imo.

Jacobbles

Dont worry you arent boned.

After you finish the finale the game will put you back to before the crystal release segment, so you can still get the true ending. Also you can finish the finale at lvl 60 imo.

Oh okay awesome! Thanks very much. This is great news.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Thing about Bravely Default is I don't think I've felt that good about beating a boss battle like this in a RPG in such a long time. It actually feels like a good and rewarding accomplishment when you manage those difficult battles.

Yep
which is why it's so annoying later on in the game when they recycle them to hell and back, the game would benefit from being shorter but more unique bosses.

Zenaku

Will I get the BDFtS achievements just by linking the BDFF and BDFtS games? Or do I have to import things like Character Levels and Job Levels to get the related Achievements? The Members Site says the Achievements are unlocked as long as the Bravely Code is the same. Does BDFtS have its own Bravely Code?

tldr; Do I have to do the achievements all over again from scratch or will my old ones count?

Also, will I receive the pertinent reward DLC even I've received the same items in BDFF? :/

For the Sequel has its own unique Members page, and its own set of achievements. Pretty much everything from the achievements is in items, but that includes summons and a bunch of other stuff, and it bugged out my D's notebook.

I actually backed up my original BDFF save (digital copy) and then started a new game, so it'd have only the achievement items, which seems to have been a good call as the lv11 Battle equipment shop in FtS doesn't seem to have Edea's costume like it supposedly does in the localized version.

It might still be there though; one of the parts shops gives the Donel lance at lv11.

On the bright side, one of FtS's achievements is to complete the game from start to finish in hard mode, which will give you
Agnes'
Bravo Bikini!

Anyway, my new XL should be arriving in the next few days, and I'm only 1 1/2 hours away from reaching the 3500 hour milestone on my 3DS' activity log. =]

kiryogi

Banned
For the Sequel has its own unique Members page, and its own set of achievements. Pretty much everything from the achievements is in items, but that includes summons and a bunch of other stuff, and it bugged out my D's notebook.

I actually backed up my original BDFF save (digital copy) and then started a new game, so it'd have only the achievement items, which seems to have been a good call as the lv11 Battle equipment shop in FtS doesn't seem to have Edea's costume like it supposedly does in the localized version.

It might still be there though; one of the parts shops gives the Donel lance at lv11.

On the bright side, one of FtS's achievements is to complete the game from start to finish in hard mode, which will give you
Agnes'
Bravo Bikini!

Anyway, my new XL should be arriving in the next few days, and I'm only 1 1/2 hours away from reaching the 3500 hour milestone on my 3DS' activity log. =]

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. . . . . Ooooh. . . . . I wasn't considering hard mode considering the time I've spent on normal as it is. But damn that is enticing.

Agnes'
Bravo Bikini!

ooh now this is interesting for me to go for hard mode 2nd time when my FtS arrives (after I paid that goddam import tax)... but then again, I'm planning for no encounter run 1st lol

Jinko

That's what i did for most of 5-8. I regret nothing.

Also finished the game. Clocked 72 hours. Not sure how i feel about the game, i'll need a few days to think without having my mind clouded by that awful second part.

This is how I am feeling also, right now I am feeling slightly cheated, I was loving the game up until the pillars of light. Such a shame they could have made it so much better story wise, feels like they just got lazy.

RE lover

Yes I'm already in chapter 7 and I'm starting to feel a bit frustrated
after playing the same boss battles for the 4th? time
. I like the game but I know for sure that I won't ever replay it in my lifetime...

maybe I will in a parallel world

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I like how people were hyping up the twist, while story wise it's decent wise gameplay wise, why god god why, If it was a generic story but was more of the same of the first half (not literally more of the same...) I would have loved it. Not like I was playing this game for the story to begin with.

aravuus

I like how people were hyping up the twist, while story wise it's decent wise gameplay wise, why god god why, If it was a generic story but was more of the same of the first half (not literally more of the same...) I would have loved it. Not like I was playing this game for the story to begin with.

Lol yeah, I think I might have liked the game more if the twist wasn't there. Don't get me wrong, I fucking LOVE
parallel world stuff, it opens up so many possibilities - but practically NONE were explored. Like holy shit, the world's barely had any differences. Which is weird, cause I remember S;G exploring time travel on so many awesome levels.

I mean at least I really liked the characters and all. I liked almost all of the antagonists, so I wouldn't have minded if there was one more battalion or something of the eeeevil bad guys to kill. It was like One Piece or something, just travel around the world killing big baddies. It was fun!

e: I have to say, I really liked the way
the parallel worlds were like your friends' worlds. Sorry Janoss (sp?), but your world got destroyed first!

Top Bottom