• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Jindrael

Banned
Is there any way to see the achievments on the European version?

I would guess the medals under your character sheet when you send a move symbolize those achievments but I can't find them anywhere.

The thing that's bothering me most about the twist
is that the enemies don't seem to change up their attacks much in Chapter 5. If you're such an accomplished White Mage Holly, why are you casting Aero at me ? Random Eternian Palace Guards can cast Blizzaga. So why are your most powerful spells 2nd level ? Hmmmm ?

T.O.P

Banned
Saw the game in stock at a local gamestop and picked it up

Totally forgot about the eu release date :<

...donnow what i am expecting by the way, last rpg i played (Ni No Kuni) bored me to death, excited to try it nonetheless

Akito

So what do you say GAF?

ibbTSGC3XRp6sl.jpeg

iPGy5pTXEwEGw.jpeg

Haha, love Ringabel's expression.

Argh I can't import my data from Flying Fairy. Here's the timeline of what happened:
Bought FTS.
Registered Square Enix Members account.
Got a Bravely Code for FTS.
One week later booted up my copy of FF.
Uploaded save data.
Got a Bravely Code for FF.
It's been more than a day, but no matter how many times I try to enter the FF code into http://special.member.jp.square-enix.com/bdff/player/key, I get an invalid code error.

Jindrael

Banned
Wow the salve-maker sure was hard, used 8 Pheonix Downs and couldn't dispel his regen.

I fought for almost 15 minutes always on the brink of a wipe, defeated him with only Agnes and Tiz left and Tiz would have died through poison at the end of the turn =/

Shahadan

Edea's father and his goons are always so late about everything :lol:
Feels like they're always the last people in the world to know where I am and what I am doing.

Taruranto

And what is this trick? Is it easy to do? I'm hurting for pg where I am in the game.

Edit: Nevermind. Steal Elixir from Mammon then flee. Rinse and repeat. Gonna try this now.

Edit 2: The Mammon I have only has Ethers- Googling reveals this is happening for other people as well. Apparently some have Ethers and some have Elixirs, but nobody seems sure why. Does someone with an Elixir Mammon wanna be my friend? Because that'd sure help me a lot: 3050-7596-6771

I have one and I started to send it. My code is on the first page, I'll add soon as I can.

Well, thanks to that nemesis/elixir trick, I now have way more money than I'll ever need in the game. It certainly makes up for the stupid nerfing of dark cartel/big pharma.

WTF, this is absolutely insane I didn't know about this before you wrote about it, but tried it and pg comes by really fast! 60.000 pg per Elixir, I made almost 4 million in a few minutes :D

Story-wise, I have now beaten the 3
automatons
in Chapter 3. I have 3 characters I really want to punch in the face for the moment >_< Also they really do want me to think that (character spoiler in ch.3)
Ringabel is the black knight
...whether they did this on purpose to lead me on a false trail or not, I guess I'll know later.

WTF, this is absolutely insane I didn't know about this before you wrote about it, but tried it and pg comes by really fast! 60.000 pg per Elixir, I made almost 4 million in a few minutes :D

uh.... what?!

edit: ok, I found my mistake. Mammon's Elixir was a bit lower on my list and that one gives 25k. I assume you get it to 60k with some merchant skills.

Aeana

It's 25k per elixir. But still very, very fast. Use the passive ability from thief to steal two items and you can steal two each fight.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wow the salve-maker sure was hard, used 8 Pheonix Downs and couldn't dispel his regen.

I fought for almost 15 minutes always on the brink of a wipe, defeated him with only Agnes and Tiz left and Tiz would have died through poison at the end of the turn =/
Freelancer Tiz would not have even blinked : )

ps: Ironically, I forgot to set the relevant freelancer skill to my Tiz before my fight with the salve maker :/

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Umm, I'm a little bit confused over job commands.

Say I want my white mage (lv3) to use black magic, do I need to level her up as a Black Mage first?

Aeana

Umm, I'm a little bit confused over job commands.

Say I want my white mage (lv3) to use black magic, do I need to level her up as a Black Mage first?

Yep, and then equip black magic as the secondary ability. As black mage levels, it'll learn black magic level 2, level 3, etc. which will let you use higher level spells when you have the ability equipped on another job.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, and then equip black magic as the secondary ability. As black mage levels, it'll learn black magic level 2, level 3, etc. which will let you use higher level spells when you have the ability equipped on another job.

yup. you can keep the secondary's however, support abilities also.

And while I do that I can keep her WM abilities on secondaries?

uh.... what?!

edit: ok, I found my mistake. Mammon's Elixir was a bit lower on my list and that one gives 25k. I assume you get it to 60k with some merchant skills.

Yes, merchant skill that allows you to sell a recovery item for 2.4x its normal price to a monster.
25k x 2.4 = 60k per elixir. Just do this in a low level enemy fight at 4x speed and you'll burn through your stock in seconds.

So in chapter 8...

The sidequest where you gotta fight the Yulyana, Mephilia, Crowe, Qada combo, any suggestions on how to go about that? That lardass Salvemaker makes any combo nearly useless

So in chapter 8...

The sidequest where you gotta fight the Yulyana, Mephilia, Crowe, Qada combo, any suggestions on how to go about that? That lardass Salvemaker makes any combo nearly useless
I had two Spiritmasters taking turns using the elemental immunity skill while the other two characters slowly took them out. They only use fire attacks so can't do anything to you as long as it's up. You can also use stillness if you're low on BP or need to take time to recover, because that can't be dispelled by fire bane

Just beat Asmodeus at 74. Wasnt expecting the below formation to work as Thundaja was destroying me before.

2 x Samurai with Ninjutsu
1 x Samurai with BLM (or just one more of above)
1 x Spirit Master with WHM

Utsusemi + Swine for sams. Spirit to heal or Aeroga when needed. All this with Transcendence and Turn Table.

Thought it'd still be a lost cause but guess not. Had poxy weapons and only Tiz was dealing any good counter damage (blm whenever he had a chance to cast) but hey, it worked.

Frodo

Showing up to say I bought this game today. Will be playing it after I finish ALBW, which might take a while, since I cannot play anything that is not SM3DW at the moment.

Anyone got a list of all dungeons/places with chests in BDFF? I need to check if I've missed any rare items before I move to BDFtS.&#12288;

edit: Never mind, found one.

I had two Spiritmasters taking turns using the elemental immunity skill while the other two characters slowly took them out. They only use fire attacks so can't do anything to you as long as it's up. You can also use stillness if you're low on BP or need to take time to recover, because that can't be dispelled by fire bane

Aaaah thank you very much, that really helped. Although weirdly enough I also found out that dispel works really well coupled with the group cast all ability, in that they keep attacking themselves if you can manage to keep it up

ramyeon

So in order to utilise special attacks most effectively I should be changing their elemental and ".. slaying" powers for specific boss battles depending on their weaknesses and types? I guess I could just have a spread over all my characters so that I'll at least have almost every type covered by different attacks.

is the Vampire dungeon worth it?

as those
Dragons
are kicking my ass whilst trying to get the
keys

There's a fair bit of good advice for the dragons in this thread.

Spiritmasters level 10 ability makes your whole party resist an element, level 13 ability nulls instead. Salve Maker Compounding is very useful (2 of the same healing item will double it's strength, Turbo Ether + X-Potion gives Half-Elixir (which heals 5000 HP and 500 MP), Monster Fibre + (an elemental item (like Phlogiston or Permacrystal) will null an element, Beast Liver + Dragon Fang (will double the recipients maximum HPs and heal an amount equal to their original maximum).

You can also abuse a Ninja / Red Mage combo for guaranteed victory. Have Turn Tables (Red Mage 4) + Transcience (Ninja 2) as support abilities and with Ninja at least Level 4, have Ninjutsu as one of your active abilities. If you keep Utusemi up, the dragons can't hit you, since all their attacks are physical and they never hit a single target more than once per round. You'll gain BP from Turn Tables and counter with Transcience. You can supplement this with Comeback Kid (Ninja 5) and Counter Amp (Swordmaster 9).

Oh if you're looking for a Ghost Ship for a certain quest, there's a guy in Ancheim at night, who'll tell you where it is. Since it seems to be randomised. I only noticed this in Chapter 5 so not sure if he's there in earlier chapters but I imagine he is.

Tak3n

Banned
There's a fair bit of good advice for the dragons in this thread.

Spiritmasters level 10 ability makes your whole party resist an element, level 13 ability nulls instead. Salve Maker Compounding is very useful (2 of the same healing item will double it's strength, Turbo Ether + X-Potion gives Half-Elixir (which heals 5000 HP and 500 MP), Monster Fibre + (an elemental item (like Phlogiston or Permacrystal) will null an element, Beast Liver + Dragon Fang (will double the recipients maximum HPs and heal an amount equal to their original maximum).

You can also abuse a Ninja / Red Mage combo for guaranteed victory. Have Turn Tables (Red Mage 4) + Transcience (Ninja 2) as support abilities and with Ninja at least Level 4, have Ninjutsu as one of your active abilities. If you keep Utusemi up, the dragons can't hit you, since all their attacks are physical and they never hit a single target more than once per round. You'll gain BP from Turn Tables and counter with Transcience. You can supplement this with Comeback Kid (Ninja 5) and Counter Amp (Swordmaster 9).

Oh if you're looking for a Ghost Ship for a certain quest, there's a guy in Ancheim at night, who'll tell you where it is. Since it seems to be randomised. I only noticed this in Chapter 5 so not sure if he's there in earlier chapters but I imagine he is.

ahh excellent ty, I remember him saying south west, but that was it, glad you reminded me :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really enjoying the battle system after familiarizing myself a bit more with brave/default commands, job system / job commands and secondary abilities (thanks Aeana and Principate!).

It's really flexible, and allows for a lot of customization of your team!

The Summon Friends move is totally broken early on though, at least when your friends are gaffers :D Should probably be scaled to your own team level to some extent, idk. The brave/default system to some extent as well, maybe?, though it's a bit early to say for me. It seems you can kill most enemies first round if you brave up all your characters (I'm only 6hours in, still chapter 1).

ramyeon

Chapter 6 spoilers.

I hate to admit it but I'm playing through on Easy now. I'm bored, I haven't been able to touch the game for days because it's the third time through doing the same thing now. I'm not gonna touch any more side quests except to get the last job and then I'm gonna speed through to the true ending as quick as I can. :/

Labadal

I'm really enjoying the battle system after familiarizing myself a bit more with brave/default commands, job system / job commands and secondary abilities (thanks Aeana and Principate!).

It's really flexible, and allows for a lot of customization of your team!

The Summon Friends move is totally broken early on though, at least when your friends are gaffers :D Should probably be scaled to your own team level to some extent, idk. The brave/default system to some extent as well, maybe?, though it's a bit early to say for me. It seems you can kill most enemies first round if you brave up all your characters (I'm only 6hours in, still chapter 1).

I've summoned friends just for the great music that plays during the special attacks.

This game makes me experience some bipolar disorder :
I totaly love it (first half of the game)
I totaly hate it (second half of the game)
And in the end, I just don't know what to think about it...

I think I'm done with BDFF. Complete D's Journal, all jobs mastered, all chests opened, all bosses in all chapters defeated and looted, all achievements unlocked. I should start BDFtS before I miss this year's first Bravely Quest.

kiryogi

Banned
I think I'm done with BDFF. Complete D's Journal, all jobs mastered, all chests opened, all bosses in all chapters defeated and looted, all achievements unlocked. I should start BDFtS before I miss this year's first Bravely Quest.

The quest is get 50 villagers or something right? D:

Got most of the jobs I wanted to use to level 9 in Chapter 3. I've warmed up to Abilink a bit. Makes starting new jobs feel less daunting since you're able to access the abilities that give each job its niche while at the same time, since your job level is low your damage output isn't that great. Pretty fair

Also, are summons totally not worth the MP or am I doing something wrong?

1st Bravely Quest for FtS ends when?

In 5 hours... or 29 hours, not sure. Not going to risk it, I'm linking my BDFF and BDFtS right now so I can take part in the "quest" asap.

edit: Did the intro in BDFF have captions? I obviously only saw it once about 14 months ago, so I don't remember.
edit2: Lies, I do remember. The BDFF intro definitely did not have captions.

In 5 hours... or 29 hours, not sure. Not going to risk it, I'm linking my BDFF and BDFtS right now so I can take part in the "quest" asap.

edit: Did the intro in BDFF have captions? I obviously only saw it once about 14 months ago, so I don't remember.
edit2: Lies, I do remember. The BDFF intro definitely did not have captions.

Definitely missed it... Stupid ParcelForce still hasn't sending me the import tax letter yet :\

Definitely missed it... Stupid ParcelForce still hasn't sending me the import tax letter yet :\

That sucks. I was really close to missing it too, I had to cancel the Famitsu issue pre-order that was holding the whole order back.

The new menus are much nicer.

No more d-pad walking?

The Bravely Second mechanic is introduced with a Yu-Gi-Oh! reference? Oh my.

The special costumes don't affect stats anymore? :eek:

The restoring the village has got me... I've only played about 3 hours of the actual game but my playtime is over 12 from just leaving my 3ds on all day.

Gambit

The restoring the village has got me... I've only played about 3 hours of the actual game but my playtime is over 12 from just leaving my 3ds on all day.

Haha, I am very busy with the village as well. But just so you know, you can close the 3ds and the game time won't increase, while the repairs continue normally.

Top Bottom