• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Not cool :/ why can't retailers just respect the release dates a bit more? A day or two I can understand but a week early!?
It's not only small shops doing this, FNAC (a big retail chain) is selling it already so they must have gotten the go ahead from Nintendo, maybe it was a gesture for letting Micromania sell ALBW one week in advance.

I have a question though : What's the problem with games being sold before the release date consumer-wise? The possibility of spoiler hitting the web?

ramyeon

It's not only small shops doing this, FNAC (a big retail chain) is selling it already so they must have gotten the go ahead from Nintendo, maybe it was a gesture for letting Micromania sell ALBW one week in advance.

I have a question though : What's the problem with games being sold before the release date consumer-wise? The possibility of spoiler hitting the web?
They got the the go ahead because so many other stores would be selling it that the street date becomes irrelevant. That's how street dates get broken.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
Not cool France. First you get
Lightning
, now this?
/jealous

Edit: realized this is a spoiler, sorry about that.

Golden Sun 4 will surely come. As soon as Camelot is done with Mario Golf they will start working on the Portable JRPG GOTG.

It's weird but Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was so bad — absolutely but especially relatively to the previous titles — that I actually do not want another Golden Sun sequel. Not only have I lost faith in Camelot but even if they suddenly became a skillful JRPG dev again, the story and majority of characters in GS:DD are just so bad.

I simply do not want to continue from DD. I want a proper sequel to The Lost Age, maybe with actually new and interesting child characters as opposed to "Issac 2" and "Garet 2". And perhaps these characters also go on an exciting adventure for a good reason and not because they... fucking destroy some flying device out of stupidity and are then send forth to gather some stupid feather.

Okay, I'm digressing now...
Once I'm a full member on NeoGAF, just got my account permission, I may make a big thread dealing with the nose dive from the GBA titles to the DS one.

edit:
Considering the, if I recall correctly, terrible sales of GS:DD and the mediocre (albeit still too high) critical reception of that title, I can't imagine there's any interest in developing a sequel anyways.

DSix

Banned
I added all of the guys from the second post, here's some help for the village thing:

DSix;
3067 5870 8910

I can't wait for the game, hopefully amazon is fast enough and I'll get it in the coming week.

Oxx

Yikes. I was thinking the minotaur wasn't so tough, but then he started braving and wrecking my party.

aravuus

I added all of the guys from the second post, here's some help for the village thing:

DSix;
3067 5870 8910

I can't wait for the game, hopefully amazon is fast enough and I'll get it in the coming week.

Also added everyone.

I'm a bit confused though, will this help me with the villager stuff? I see it only mentions spotpass and streepass.

Porcile

Yikes, not many UK'ers getting this going by that friend code list. Don't know if any of my friends will be getting it either. I'll add my name to list when I get round to it.

Really hoping my GAME actually gets some copies in. I'll head in early on Friday morning.

Oxx

Yikes, not many UK'ers getting this going by that friend code list. Don't know if any of my friends will be getting it either. I'll add my name to list when I get round to it.

Really hoping my GAME actually gets some copies in. I'll head in early on Friday morning.

I'll probably be getting the game.

I'm not really sure what friends contribute to the game. I should read the OP again.

I just decided to play the demo that has been sitting since its launch on my 3DS, and damn it's fantastic. I just got to
the forest
and, while the
scorpions
are giving me a hard time, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

One question regarding the data transfered, will
the improvements on that destroyed town
move over to the final game?

cluderi

Day 1 for me, sent a pm to have me added (for whatever it does)

Really need to finish Zelda ASAP.

also

Banned
I just decided to play the demo that has been sitting since its launch on my 3DS, and damn it's fantastic. I just got to
the forest
and, while the
scorpions
are giving me a hard time, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

One question regarding the data transfered, will
the improvements on that destroyed town
move over to the final game?

No, but the villager(s) will.

Zips

The game looks really interesting, sounds good, and I love the look of the towns in it. Those character names are pretty bad though.

Agnes Oblige (the priestess that's obliged to fulfill her duty)
Tiz Arrior (the Warrior?)
Ringabel (the amnesiac for whom things don't ring a bell)
Airy (the fairy)

I'm probably missing something that relates to Edea's name.

Also added everyone.

I'm a bit confused though, will this help me with the villager stuff? I see it only mentions spotpass and streepass.

I'll probably be getting the game.

I'm not really sure what friends contribute to the game. I should read the OP again.

By adding friends you will be benefiting both of you, read the Ablinks, Friend summons and Restoring Norende.

The TL;DR version is basically if you have online friends with this game you can borrow job levels from your friends, you can summon them to use an attack (they set the attack) on enemies and to make it clear they can help rebuild Norende by giving you villagers. But Square enix/Nintendo will periodically send villagers for the Norende side quest anyway, using friends will just give villagers much faster.

The game looks really interesting, sounds good, and I love the look of the towns in it. Those character names are pretty bad though.

Airy (the fairy)

Edea Lee's her full name, so try your luck ;P
Oh, that's a shame. I didn't find anyone locally on StreetPass, do I still get to carry over the default villager?
Yes and if you beat the demo you'll get an additional villager, so total of 2 without streetpassing anyone.

vareon

Airy (the fairy)

iirc her name was Edea Lee.

Leezard

Airy (the fairy)

Idealize, Idealization, something like that should be possible for Edea Lee.

3 copies of the EUR CE & pre-order artbook (local pickup).

1 copy of BDFtS and 1 copy of Famitsū #1305 for the Foxbite dagger DLC + express shipping from Asia.

1 copy of Dengeki Nintendo for the Donnerschutz shield DLC, 1 copy of V Jump for the Shōri no Tachi katana DLC, 1 more copy of BDFtS, 1 copy of the Drama CD & pre-order bonus Cast Talk CD-E, 1 copy of the artbook, 1 copy of each BD novel volume, 1 copy of the game guide, 1 more copy of the Drama CD & pre-order bonus Cast Talk CD-A & pre-order bonus sticker + express shipping from Japan.

3x EUR CE... Oh wow...
By the way, from where did you order Famitsu #1305? Quite interested in getting that Foxbite Dagger.

Zenaku

Airy (the fairy)

As said, Edea is likely "Ideally" (Edea is pronounced "Ih-dia", or like the name "Lydia" without an L, at least in Japanese).

Of course, one of the characters names has a second meaning beyond the obvious comparisons you listed, but it's been removed from the localized/updated version of the game, and can't be mentioned because it's a huge spoiler.

Remember to ask about it when you finish the game.

Oregano

I got three streetpasses for the demo yesterday which was really surprising. I had been relying on streetpassing my other 3DS.

Finished the demo completely about half an hour ago. By the end Tiz was a Ninja death god. On the last boss he dealt over 2000 damage in a round, braving once.

Elvick

Banned
Wish the LE in NA had the figure, probably just get the regular game now... who am I kidding, I'll get the LE.

Axass

Impressions about the demo:

Graphics - Really nice, the game feels 3D and 2D/hand-drawn at the same time, the monsters in battle are especially great to look at. It's a bummer there are no real fight choreographies, just the old "guys-slashing-the-air-to-hit" thing. The 3D effect is also implemented in a very effective way, as far as I'm concerned. I love the way the city looks, with the subtle switching between planes, while still looking bidimensional, it's also very unique as far as cities go. That's something that goes for the whole game, there's a unique art style, unlike any other game, so BD doesn't feel as the same generic RPG, at least in the visual department.

Sound - Good but nothing revolutionary. The main theme is nice.

Dungeons - Not much to say here, they're not something special, but at least they try not to be straight corridors; I love the uncharted hidden passages, every RPG should have them. I like the fact certain job abilities (Freelancer) influence the way you interact with the dungeons as well. I'm glad there are visible bosses and savepoints right before them: no use in being taken by surprise by an unavoidable boss after a cutscene or having to grind your way to the boss after you die.

World Map - There is one. Seriously though, just the same old world map, it's just that so many RPGs tried to do away with it, it's good to see it again. The random encounters are still there, I've never been much bothered by them, but it's wonderful having the ability to actually decide how many encounters you want: the fact you can just turn them off from the options is a revolutionary idea.

Job System - Dare I say, one of the better structured I've ever seen? Even just the few jobs available in the demo are diverse enough, but there's gonna be much more if those ??? are any indication. I also guess you can go well over the 3rd job level in the full game. The way you can combine active and passive abilities from the job you have and the ones you've mastered, offers huge customization possibilities for your party.

Shops - It's nice to have the chance to swap the new items for the old ones on the fly, without leaving the shop, the letters ranking the compatibility of said weapons with your current job are also a cool addition. The traveller shop, gradually unlocked via street pass and villagers is also a neat idea; I imagine that through it you could possibly be getting rarer and more powerful stuff early in the game, assuming you put enough time in it.

Battle - Wow, it's been long since I truly had to make clever strategic decisions to defeat even average goons. When I kicked that minotaur/dragon's ass it felt great, and it felt as a real accomplishment, as if my strategy paid off. The original brave/default system works wonders, at first it's just 4x brave 4x attack, but going on you understand it's much more complicated than that, especially in regards to the default option, which is underestimated at first, but becomes your most useful asset in battle. Moreover you can simply adjust the difficulty on the spot, that makes things comfortable for everyone.

Plot - Now, I hope (and I'm positive) that this was just due to the demo's limits... but the plot is nonexistant, as well as the characters. The fetch quests were horrid, the ones where you have to kill a boss were the minimum you expect from an RPG: ordinary stuff. I know it's a demo, so they didn't want to bog down the package with endless screens of text and numerous cutscenes, instead preferring to show the awesome gameplay, but they could have at least shown a brief recap of what the whole game is about, the demo felt totally aimless in that regard.

All in all it's been pleasurable playing through the demo, I think I'll buy the game, even though right now it's not a priority; I appreciate the effort they put in what is, in the end, just a demo, but I can't shake the feeling they made it too self-contained for its owm good, as if it was a game on its own, it doesn't offer enough gleams about the rest of the game.

Labadal

Added everyone in the second post to my friends list. I'll Also will be added there soon.

Friend Code: 1332-7853-4699
GAF Username: Labadal

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Finally had time to play some more of the demo. Beat the
Dragon
. It appears i was under leveled ( lvl 11 with no max jobs ), with not the most optimal jobs/abilites, also using the crappy weapons since i didn't unlock the village's shop yet.

Because it took me over 1hour to beat him haha, but it was fun.

edit: Oh, it's over, the "ending" was cute. Is there anymore to do in the demo ?

Airy (the fairy)

Those are reasons why I think the names are good actually. This never gets old.

also

Banned
Finally had time to play some more of the demo. Beat the
Dragon
. It appears i was under leveled ( lvl 11 with no max jobs ), with not the most optimal jobs/abilites, also using the crappy weapons since i didn't unlock the village's shop yet.

Because it took me over 1hour to beat him haha, but it was fun.

edit: Oh, it's over, the "ending" was cute. Is there anymore to do in the demo ?

One more boss.

zroid

Banned
Just in case it wasn't posted yet,

Nintendo Life 9/10
There’s much to be said in praise of Bravely Default, perhaps too much to fit into a single review. What must be relayed, however, is that Bravely Default stands as an absolute triumph of both game design and the reinvigoration of old concepts, claiming its rightful place as a giant in the JRPG genre that will surely be remembered as a classic in years to come. Any 3DS owner with even a fleeting interest in role-playing games and a desire to get lost in an incredible, engaging adventure would be doing themselves a huge favour by picking up Bravely Default without delay.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/bravely_default

this review is banderas.gif worthy.

i neeeeeeed this gaaaaaaaaaaame

aravuus

Already got the game pre-ordered, but if I'm bored enough tomorrow, I think I'll go and check a few shops out in case someone decided to break the street date.

Starbound in a couple of days and BD in a couple more, this week is going to fucking rock

Porcile

So Villagers are carried over from the demo? Nice, I've already got 8 of them, I'll take a long stroll through town tomorrow and see if I can get a few more before Friday. Id imagine it's going to get much harder to come across random Streetpass hits in the future.

In the JP version at least, boss names are also very punny as well. It's really neat.
As for story and character stuff not existing in the demo, you're right. The demo stays away from all that stuff.

The main game however does not.

Leezard

I'm currently adding all the people in the second post, I sent a PM to add me to the list as well.

Friend Code: 1521-3173-0406
GAF Username: Leezard

mrpeabody

Airy (the fairy)

"Luxendarc" is pretty groanworthy as well. I guess "Goodevil" was taken.

Top Bottom