• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

cafemomo

just a fyi, for those living in the burbs of chicago, hit up kinokuniya

when I went there earlier today, there was a stack of BD artbooks

snagged one myself

BfR5PNeCcAAyidS.jpg

zroid

Banned

snagged one myself

BfR5PNeCcAAyidS.jpg

I saw you tweet that, lol. I'm not really familiar with the various Japanese import shops around here, but I'm tempted to go scouting.

danthefan

I think I used a full valkyrie team with subjob salvemaker.
Everyone defaulted until they all had 3 bp then unleashed super jump on the enemy. Whenever necessary use compound to heal/revive. Can't remember what my supports were but if I were to battle now I would probably go with two handed, auto-phoenix, see you in hell and absorb physical damage. My equipment was set to raise physical attack (headbands and power/hyper braces).

If you wanna get through things really quickly though, here's a strategy I found that completely owns most things:
3 dark knights, subjob doesn't really matter. supports two handed, physical attack 30% up, gloom.
1 thief, subjob spiritmaster. supports 20% and 30% speed up. Hermes shoes if you want.

Get your thief to brave 3 times and cast adaptation on everyone. They should always go first cos of the speed supports. Get all your dark knights to brave 3 times and spam dark nebula. You can go the opposite way and default 3 times and then brave if you want.

Cheers. Have been trying to go with a mix of classes for most fights but it's not adequate sometimes.

Owari

Great news for you then! The demo does not have any story from the game in it, you just do sidequests made up for the demo that earn you packages of items that transfer to the full game. The items/equipment aren't anything special but you can start building up villagers from streetpass and the game gives you a couple as well and transfer as many as 20 to the full game. Having 20 villagers to start should be pretty huge. Basically the only thing you'll do that's in the full game and would have to do over is leveling up your characters and jobs (and norende shops via villagers). Which is why I didn't power level and grind every job but you won't have to do any objectives over again in the main game.

Awesome, thanks. I had no idea. I figured it was just a section of the main game.

Doombear

Prices are still up there... I spend way too much every time I go to the one here. I saw the BD art book back in December when I was there last. It is where I picked up my Monster Hunter art books. I like that you can have things shipped to the store for pick up too, if they don't have it in stock.

Speaking of shipping... annnnnnnny time you want to give me a delivery date Amazon, I'd love to have it.

ZetaEpyon

Just got the delivery estimate for my Collector's Edition from Amazon - Feb 11th.

Wonder if they had to source another allocation of them or something...

JimPanzer

spoiler, only watch if you finished the game already:
are you guys excited as I am to see the curve of excitement dropping down fast when people hit the middle-part of the game? :D

spoiler, only watch if you finished the game already:
are you guys excited as I am to see the curve of excitement dropping down fast when people hit the middle-part of the game? :D

you know what else is going to be good?
omg why is Airy so annoying

nikos

snagged one myself

BfR5PNeCcAAyidS.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! Going to Kinokouniya in NYC tomorrow. Will definitely look for it.

I'm really liking everything about this game so far. Hopefully I like the actual game. The demo was just OK, but I'm mostly in it for the story (despite knowing nothing about it) so it wasn't very indicative of what the full game is like.

EDIT: Quick question. I've pretty much kept myself in the dark about this game, to avoid spoilers. Without spoiling, can somebody please explain how chapters in this game work? It seems a bit odd to have chapters in an RPG.

Phenomic

Hey if anyone has any (*interesting*) questions for the producers (Asano-san and Takahashi-san) let me know.

This isn't much of a question and if you don't feel like this is worthy of the time it takes to mention it by all means that's cool. Time is precious etc. I haven't played the final game at all yet because obviously it's not out here so I have no clue what I would ask that would be anywhere near relevant however, .

I guess in a way I just want someone to tell whoever at Square Enix that made the call to make a demo that was completely separate from the physical game itself was an amazing idea. There hasn't been a single demo in over a decade that has sold me a game as much as this one did. I sat there in front of the screen for five hours without the physical ability to put the DS down. Major respect to the team that built something that just let you loose to figure out things, but making it intriguing enough to make you want to come back and figure out all the intricacies and when it clicks it's nothing short of magical. Not having to worry about spoilers, context where you were dropped in wasn't necessary, tons of job choices/combos from the get go to just play with. The list could go on with things I could say and how much this demo did correctly where many other short demos nowadays give off the impression that they will only hurt sales figures.

Everything I read told me how great this game was, but I will be the first to admit I was on the fence because I'm not an avid fan of Final Fantasy before 7. I will pass on four and six any day. (Plz don't murder me GAF) Since it seemed to borrow from the early titles before I personally enjoy the franchise I wasn't expecting to be blown away. Now that I got the demo I'm happy I was so so wrong.

Hopefully the final game continues to keep delivering on those things for me. Glad NA is finally getting what appears to be a Final Fantasy everyone's been waiting on for a very long time.

Awesome, thanks. I had no idea. I figured it was just a section of the main game.

From my understanding, the town and area is from the main game but you don't do anything there that's in the actual game, just made up side quests. The area is from a little ways in the game but the demo still starts you at lvl 1 for some reason so the enemies are a little rough starting out but once you grind out a few levels or so you'll be good.

Kyonashi

Okay, I'm right in the end-game and struggling. I'd quite like to be done with this now, so what are some cheese team comps I can use to beat
Airy's Third Form
and whatever comes after that?

Alternatively, where's the best place to grind the highest amount of EXP in late game? I have growth egg, but I can only find the best places to farm JP on Google.

also

Banned
EDIT: Quick question. I've pretty much kept myself in the dark about this game, to avoid spoilers. Without spoiling, can somebody please explain how chapters in this game work? It seems a bit odd to have chapters in an RPG.

Chapters just help you judge how far you've progressed in the game. The story progression is similar to other RPGs, you just see a chapter screen every now and then.

Just got the delivery estimate for my Collector's Edition from Amazon - Feb 11th.

Wonder if they had to source another allocation of them or something...

If you guys have Amazon Prime, and you originally ordered with 2-day delivery to get it on the street date, just go into your order, click "change shipping speed," and "confirm" your 2-day shipping choice. That popped it back to the 7th for me.

Any tips for the poison dude in the third chapter ?

He kicks my ass and wipes the floor with me, I´m around level 40 if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Phenomic

If you guys have Amazon Prime, and you originally ordered with 2-day delivery to get it on the street date, just go into your order, click "change shipping speed," and "confirm" your 2-day shipping choice. That popped it back to the 7th for me.

Kept me from contacting customer service. I was about to be like Oh hell nah I ordered this a while ago and there's no way someone who preordered a week ago was about to get a copy on street date jumping me.

I had two day already selected I wonder what made it flip suddenly.

Zornica

Banned
Okay, I'm right in the end-game and struggling. I'd quite like to be done with this now, so what are some cheese team comps I can use to beat
Airy's Third Form
and whatever comes after that?

Alternatively, where's the best place to grind the highest amount of EXP in late game? I have growth egg, but I can only find the best places to farm JP on Google.

I thought outside florem was a pretty good place to grind. up to 10k xp with the growthegg per fight.
As long as you have a group that can defeat the enemie groups in 1 turn you should be fine (because if you take longer than that, they could also kill you).

my setup for grinding there was basically either a pirate or a hunter (or whatever the class is called in english) and a spellfencer sub. (pirates with axes need the accuracy passive from the hunter). just brave 3 times, put fire on your weapon, attack 3 times, go to automatic mode and you should be fine.

you should use a spirit master for that last fight against
airy
He can basically negate any damage. also make sure your spirit master has one of the passive skills from the red mage. I don't know how it's called... its the one where you regain 2 bp when hit with status alterating attacks.

Bestbuy still had the CE for preorder but I have no idea if they'll be able to fulfill. Hopefully I find out by the time it's supposed to ship, so I can go out and grab a regular copy from the store if I can't get the CE.

I just beat the demo and enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to the main game now and am curious about the villagers. Do you get free villagers in the main game itself like you can in the demo, or is StreetPass the only way to get more?

Also, if I get 10 StreetPasses from the demo and not redeem them for villagers (I already have 20), can I put them into the main game when I start, thus beginning with 30 villagers?

Leezard

I just beat the demo and enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to the main game now and am curious about the villagers. Do you get free villagers in the main game itself like you can in the demo, or is StreetPass the only way to get more?

Also, if I get 10 StreetPasses from the demo and not redeem them for villagers (I already have 20), can I put them into the main game when I start, thus beginning with 30 villagers?

You can get 3-5 villagers by updating your data (spotpass) every day.

APeacefulPanda

Neo Member
Getting super nervous that Amazon still hasn't given any shipping estimate for the NA Collector's Edition yet. Have had it pre-ordered since the day it went up. :/

Getting super nervous that Amazon still hasn't given any shipping estimate for the NA Collector's Edition yet. Have had it pre-ordered since the day it went up. :/
A few people in the Demo thread got their dates yesterday, and I got mine early this morning. Just wait until Monday, and if nothing has come up by then, contact Amazon.

Top Bottom