• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Hey if anyone has any (*interesting*) questions for the producers (Asano-san and Takahashi-san) let me know.

Need to ponder about it, but one thing burns at the back of my mind.

Will the Western releases get the new costume DLC, such as Tiz's Dimensional Garb, Agnes's Bravo Bunny and Edea's Duchy Uniform?

You can see them during Japanese friend summons, with the exception of Ringabel's rather lewd Eastern War Garb, which is a tease...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at the OT OT Volunteer thread, seems there will be a new OT for the NA release? Why is that? Can't we all just stick together in this one?

zroid

Banned
Looking at the OT OT Volunteer thread, seems there will be a new OT for the NA release? Why is that? Can't we all just stick together in this one?

Oh really? Yeah I'm not a fan of two OTs. It's not like people have been posting spoilers rampantly in here.

edit: Unfortunately I'm guessing the dude who signed up for it has probably already done a lot of work, so it'd be sad for it to go to waste now...

Eligor

Neo Member
Is there any significant character/plot development during chapter 7 side quests ? I love the game but my motivation is wearing thin...

also

Banned
Is there any significant character/plot development during chapter 7 side quests ? I love the game but my motivation is wearing thin...

You get to see some silly conversations and a few happy endings. Mostly it just expands on what you already know and the new stuff is not that important or interesting. Still, the battles are fewer and more interesting so you should go for it.

5 and 6 sucked for me, except 6's awesome new sidequest.

Meanwhile, I found 7 and 8 awesome, so I'd personally try them, yeah.

wrowa

Chapter 8 is post-game content, really. Once you finished the true ending, you'll be teleported back to the beginning of chapter 8, anyway. So, there's really no reason to force yourself through chapter 8, if you don't feel like it.

Thinking of getting the collector's edition of this. How are the characters? I've found that RPGs without good characters cannot hold me interest really, for example, SMT IV. I really was interested in the story, but now it is so hard to get back to because the other characters in the game are so boring or cliche.

I don't really care if the characters in Bravely Default are archetypes, they don't need to break new ground. I'm just wondering how people would rate the character interactions in this game, are they fairly standard anime archetype fare, or are do they have hidden depths to their characters?

No reviews really say much about character interaction itself, they'll rate a game's story, but not the people within that story. How would those here who have played more than the demo describe the quality of characters in Bravely Default?

Hey if anyone has any (*interesting*) questions for the producers (Asano-san and Takahashi-san) let me know.

Were Revo, Hayashi and Yoshida involved in the project from the very beginning? How did they get the idea of getting so involved with the fans while they were producing the game? Are they intending to do the same for the next game?

Thinking of getting the collector's edition of this. How are the characters? I've found that RPGs without good characters cannot hold me interest really, for example, SMT IV. I really was interested in the story, but now it is so hard to get back to because the other characters in the game are so boring or cliche.

I don't really care if the characters in Bravely Default are archetypes, they don't need to break new ground. I'm just wondering how people would rate the character interactions in this game, are they fairly standard anime archetype fare, or are do they have hidden depths to their characters?

No reviews really say much about character interaction itself, they'll rate a game's story, but not the people within that story. How would those here who have played more than the demo describe the quality of characters in Bravely Default?

I personally found Tiz and Agnes boring, but Edea and Ringabel great. Some of the bosses you meet have rather interesting personalities too.

Well I just got to chapter 6 and hmmm I kinda don't like this turn of events but we'll see. Anyway can you give me some OP setups as I'm feeling a bit burned out by this and just want to see the story :)

Also where is the good place to grind jp in Chapter 6?

FryHole

Well I just got to chapter 6 and hmmm I kinda don't like this turn of events but we'll see. Anyway can you give me some OP setups as I'm feeling a bit burned out by this and just want to see the story :)

Also where is the good place to grind jp in Chapter 6?

Others will be able to advise on party setup better than me (I'm of the beginner's school that favours levelling up enough to twat everything with a bunch of ninjas), but I found the best place for grinding was
an island northeast of Florem - it has a keystone obelisk on it, a beach on the south end and ice further north. The beach is great for grinding, particularly when you get groups of 6 * rafflesia; with a growth egg and bonuses you can get 999 JP per fight. Arcanist with black mage support doing poison*2 (in case it misses someone) then exterminate wipes them out in a single go most of the time. I use a ninja using hidden dragon to mop up - that move only occurs at the end of a turn, meaning it'll only be needed when the arcanist fails to one shot everything and so preserving your sweeper bonus.

danthefan

Others will be able to advise on party setup better than me (I'm of the beginner's school that favours levelling up enough to twat everything with a bunch of ninjas), but I found the best place for grinding was
an island northeast of Florem - it has a keystone obelisk on it, a beach on the south end and ice further north. The beach is great for grinding, particularly when you get groups of 6 * rafflesia; with a growth egg and bonuses you can get 999 JP per fight. Arcanist with black mage support doing poison*2 (in case it misses someone) then exterminate wipes them out in a single go most of the time. I use a ninja using hidden dragon to mop up - that move only occurs at the end of a turn, meaning it'll only be needed when the arcanist fails to one shot everything and so preserving your sweeper bonus.

Much better way to grind is:

Get the conjuror, learn obliterate, enemies just die immediately at the start of the battle, assuming they don't get first strike.

FryHole

Much better way to grind is:

Get the conjuror, learn obliterate, enemies just die immediately at the start of the battle, assuming they don't get first strike.

He's only just
got to chapter 6 though - conjurer comes towards the end of that chapter, right?

2San

All my questions double more as complaints though. If this is allowed. I'm really curious if the dungeons in Bravely second will have hand drawn art? The presentation is pretty inconsistent in BD imo, the hand drawn towns look amazing, but most dungeons are just ugly repeating polygons.

magnetic

So I bought the game again (I initially sold if after getting sick of it from playing it way too much, this time I will play in shorter bursts), one question I have:

How many bosses are there, not counting these human-type ones? Do they just repeat the
two-headed hellhound, the water-thingy, the brain with the eyeball and the huge hulk dude
? And are the regular enemies in chapter 5 and onwards more interesting than just palette swaps? That´s another gripe I have with the game - the enemies tend to be rather generic and few in number, which is even more obvious once I played some more Dragon Quest and Strange Journey after BD. The
hellhound and that huge orc
bosses look super cool, but the other
two temple bosses
were just awfully generic.

I guess what I´m asking it whether I can motivate myself to play all that early stuff again to at least see SOME new assets later on in the game, or if it really just repeats old stuff with a new coat of paint (the orc leader is now a - you´re going to love this!!! - super orc leader!) until I reach the final bosses. Fighting all these
dragons that looked just like the first dragon early on in the game (yulana woods?)
was a bit dull too. I guess I just want my RPGs to have a certain variety in enemy/boss design. Before I bought all three Dragon Quest DS remakes I even actively spoiled myself on the late-game bosses to see if there are some nicely drawn big baddies to look forward too.

...also, the GameFAQs page on BD is surprisingly empty, not a single guide and not even a single user review, just the usual "discussion" nonsense going on ("OMG I cant belief this game still has turn-bazed battles in these days and age!!!"). I never realized GameFAQs is so US-centric!

3. Why are there no slots to save your party setup? Changing from your boss team configuration to a random encounters setup is annoying. Plus it makes it easier for people to experiment.

Man, that is such a great idea! It would very likely be trivial to implement it, too, but such a great time saver.

I also would love a way to save several auto-battle setups, and maybe even some sort of semi-AI. The Dragon Quest DS ports have options like "focus on healing" or "show no mercy", would be great to command your party to Default but assign a white mage to heal once someone gets hurt over a certain threshold.

Ricker

Just a little over a week to go for us North Amaricans ;)...I hate a Friday release though,there is always a chance that it comes out the next Monday(if a storm happens or whatever(pessimist) ) lol...

magnetic

Really looking forward to the reactions of the US players. It´s weird, I can´t remember the last time I played a game that a significant amount of people didn´t have access to yet (I used to own an import US 3DS for SMTIV).

FryHole

So I bought the game again (I initially sold if after getting sick of it from playing it way too much, this time I will play in shorter bursts), one question I have:

How many bosses are there, not counting these human-type ones? Do they just repeat the
two-headed hellhound, the water-thingy, the brain with the eyeball and the huge hulk dude
? And are the regular enemies in chapter 5 and onwards more interesting than just palette swaps? That´s another gripe I have with the game - the enemies tend to be rather generic and few in number, which is even more obvious once I played some more Dragon Quest and Strange Journey after BD. The
hellhound and that huge orc
bosses look super cool, but the other
two temple bosses
were just awfully generic.

I'm afraid it's literally the same bosses repeated but tougher, don't think there's even any tinkering with palette swaps. The only thing that really changes are the human bosses, and then only story-wise - new dialogue and, later, different battles. Same with the regular enemies. If you can make your peace with that, the game does improve thanks to the story development, but chapter 5 is a low point. There are of course new things to see, do and fight during the last stretch of the game.

...also, the GameFAQs page on BD is surprisingly empty, not a single guide and not even a single user review, just the usual "discussion" nonsense going on ("OMG I cant belief this game still has turn-bazed battles in these days and age!!!"). I never realized GameFAQs is so US-centric!

You might have been on the wrong page--"Bravely Default" without the subtitle has all the stuff you're looking for : )

2San

Dunno, it was still a decent source of information for me.

edit: Yeah you might have the wrong page, since it does have guides and user reviews. This is the page: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/729328-bravely-default

zroid

Banned
Does your Village in the demo carry over to the full game in any way? Either reconstruction progress or number of villagers you've recruited? Both?

Does anyone know if the US version has cut content and I'm not referring to the censorship but actual gameplay?

That whole thing about turning a 70hr RPG to a 35-40hr one, what was that all about again and is that the US version?

FryHole

Does anyone know if the US version has cut content and I'm not referring to the censorship but actual gameplay?

That whole thing about turning a 70hr RPG to a 35-40hr one, what was that all about again and is that the US version?

Nothing cut, I think - the reduced playtime was based on the extra settings that allowed you to adjust difficulty and reduce encounter rates. And it is this For The Sequel version that the West got.

Nothing cut, I think - the reduced playtime was based on the extra settings that allowed you to adjust difficulty and reduce encounter rates. And it is this For The Sequel version that the West got.
Ok. Cool. Thanks.

Can't wait for this game. Been waiting a long time for a traditional JRPG.

Some of the best times was playing those old DS FF remakes, just relaxing after a long day.

Owari

Ugh. I don't want to play the demo, cause I don't wanna re-do everything I've done.

Hurry up Feb 7th. :mad: This shit is taking forever to release.

Kyonashi

chapter 7 question:
are those triple bosses supposed to be unbeatable? I just spend 45 minutes on barras / ominas / heinkel and lost. any tips for job composition?

Searched but couldn't find an answer to this. I've been destroying everything in my path up until now, I just can't stay alive long enough. Team build:
Agnes is a Ninja/Spell Fencer, using Lightning attacks on Heinkel, Tiz is a Thief/Dark Knight stealing the items from everyone, Edea is Performer/Freelancer for the My Hero/Mimic combo, and Ringabel is a Spiritmaster/White Mage. He casts Fairy Ward and Enigma to avoid magic damage and poisoning, but Barras often OHKOs me with punches. :/ If my stealing was a bit faster it would probably be okay because of Tiz' extra damage, but it takes me 2+ rounds to steal from everyone, even with thief gloves and Rob Blind.

Ugh. I don't want to play the demo, cause I don't wanna re-do everything I've done.

Hurry up Feb 7th. :mad: This shit is taking forever to release.

Great news for you then! The demo does not have any story from the game in it, you just do sidequests made up for the demo that earn you packages of items that transfer to the full game. The items/equipment aren't anything special but you can start building up villagers from streetpass and the game gives you a couple as well and transfer as many as 20 to the full game. Having 20 villagers to start should be pretty huge. Basically the only thing you'll do that's in the full game and would have to do over is leveling up your characters and jobs (and norende shops via villagers). Which is why I didn't power level and grind every job but you won't have to do any objectives over again in the main game.

zroid

Banned
I feel like I should know the answer to this by now, but somehow I don't:

does Defaulting defend against physical attacks only, or magic too?

danthefan

Any tips for the
Ominas/Barras/Heinkel
fight in Ch.7? Can get through the first part fine but then the 2nd part I get a bit overwhelmed.

ss-hikaru

Searched but couldn't find an answer to this. I've been destroying everything in my path up until now, I just can't stay alive long enough.

Any tips for the
Ominas/Barras/Heinkel
fight in Ch.7? Can get through the first part fine but then the 2nd part I get a bit overwhelmed.

I think I used a full valkyrie team with subjob salvemaker.
Everyone defaulted until they all had 3 bp then unleashed super jump on the enemy. Whenever necessary use compound to heal/revive. Can't remember what my supports were but if I were to battle now I would probably go with two handed, auto-phoenix, see you in hell and absorb physical damage. My equipment was set to raise physical attack (headbands and power/hyper braces).

If you wanna get through things really quickly though, here's a strategy I found that completely owns most things:
3 dark knights, subjob doesn't really matter. supports two handed, physical attack 30% up, gloom.
1 thief, subjob spiritmaster. supports 20% and 30% speed up. Hermes shoes if you want.

Get your thief to brave 3 times and cast adaptation on everyone. They should always go first cos of the speed supports. Get all your dark knights to brave 3 times and spam dark nebula. You can go the opposite way and default 3 times and then brave if you want.

Top Bottom