• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Kazenone

I beat the game and didn't read the
2nd journal
and I still knew the
angel looked like Agnes
... so it's definitely mentioned "somewhere"

I'm on Chapter 5 and can't recall hearing that other than in this thread -- maybe it's only mentioned in the journal?

I have a question about D's journal, spoilers for chapter 4 and the
Vampire
subevent:

I just completed the Vampire castle in chapter 4, and after seeing all the painting scenes, I decided to check D's journal. To my surprise, D's journal revealed a lot more than the discussions with DeRosso. Like, for example, the angel looking like Agnes (which was never mentioned during DeRosso's monologue) and Yulyana's asterisk plot was expounded upon in much more detail. This is the first time the game pulled something like this and added something to the journal that wasn't discussed in the game itself.
Did my game bug out and spoil me or something?

iirc
the angel appearance like Agnes was mentioned when you checked the paintings again

Yasawas

I am only playing the demo for now (US, lol) but I assume this question applies to the main game as well:

How do you update your streetpass file? Meaning, how do you update what you send out when you streetpass someone?

I have gotten ~12 streetpasses within the demo and every single one of them seemed to indicate that the people had just started playing (level 1, no equipment, etc.). I assume from this that my own street pass data would look the same to others as I haven't manually updated it within the game.

Any thoughts?

I never played the demo but in combat one of the options alongside Attack, Ability etc is Summon. This allows you to either use the StreetPass dudes you've acquired or "record" the next attack you choose and it sends that out when you SP people.

Arkain

iirc
the angel appearance like Agnes was mentioned when you checked the paintings again

Again, Chapter 4 sidequest spoilers:

Just went back to the 7th floor and rechecked the painting, no mention of
Agnes looking like the angel

Another thing that was never mentioned by DeRosso, but is magically writen in D's journal: how Yulyana
came to be immortal
. I just rewatched all the painting dialogue on youtube, so it's not my imagination, these things weren't mentioned in Chapter 4.

Leezard

Again, Chapter 4 sidequest spoilers:

Just went back to the 7th floor and rechecked the painting, no mention of
Agnes looking like the angel

Another thing that was never mentioned by DeRosso, but is magically writen in D's journal: how Yulyana
came to be immortal
. I just rewatched all the painting dialogue on youtube, so it's not my imagination, these things weren't mentioned in Chapter 4.

I'm pretty sure DeRosso mentioned it, but I did the sidequest in Chapter 5. It's very possible that he tells that
Agnes looks like the angel,
only in chap 5 or so.

Teppic

I have a question about D's journal, spoilers for chapter 4 and the
Vampire
subevent:

I just completed the Vampire castle in chapter 4, and after seeing all the painting scenes, I decided to check D's journal. To my surprise, D's journal revealed a lot more than the discussions with DeRosso. Like, for example, the angel looking like Agnes (which was never mentioned during DeRosso's monologue) and Yulyana's asterisk plot was expounded upon in much more detail. This is the first time the game pulled something like this and added something to the journal that wasn't discussed in the game itself.
Did my game bug out and spoil me or something?
My tip is to never read the journal. At the beginning of the game before
the king gets kidnapped
I had the whole scene spoiled by the journal.

magnetic

Just beat the boss in Fire Temple. I can now honestly say that the game has great combat and class system, but everything else is pretty bad. Level design is non-existent, the story is so bad I've started to skip MAIN story dialogue now, not just the optional stuff and assets are recycled to hell and back.

But still, the visuals and the combat bring me back. Too bad the story was complete shit.

Yeah, this is one of the most lopsided games I´ve ever played (that I actually enjoyed). I basically love the game for the crazy good combat, the lovely character designs and job costumes, as well as the whole job system itself.

I actually sold this game at one point (for more than I payed for it initially!) and just recently bought it again because some of the broken boss strategies blew my mind and I was really missing playing around with the job abilities.

The dungeon designs are complete shit. I have never played an RPG with such boring corridors with simply nothing happening except for random encounters. Usually I just mostly turn the encounters off and run through lifeless mazes, occasionally turning them back on to check out the enemies, while listening to some podcast. Not to mention that it´s just the same single tune for each and every dungeon. But again, it´s handy that you can turn the music on and off! I´d need these boss battle themes every time, but the other tracks tend to get old rather quickly.

However, I love that this specific edition makes it so easy to skip through the bad parts and just lets you focus on the game mechanics if you choose to do so.

It really is a weird package. I still absolutely love it, but then again I´ve learned to accept games with flaws and shitty stories if the game itself is fun to play, which is the case for me. I have a ton of other RPGs that each scratch a different itch for me (currently playing DQVI and Chrono Trigger!).

Oh, and in general I´ve sworn to never play any RPG for longer than I am actually actively enjoying it. Thanks to the destination marker, this is a perfect game to just let it sit on the shelf for a couple of days or weeks and return back to it once I feel like playing it again.

also

Banned
I'm pretty sure DeRosso mentioned it, but I did the sidequest in Chapter 5. It's very possible that he tells that
only in chap 5 or so.
I too did the sidequest in ch. 5 but he did not mention it.
Yulyana
is the the first one to talk about it when you
go repair the vestal garb.
If you read the journal beforehand you will get spoiled.

only in chap 5 or so.

I don't think that's it. I did the sidequest in chapter 4, and in chapter 5
he said "Oh, you guys already know the angel looked like Agnes?" and everyone said "yeah you told us the last time."

I'm finding all the advice not to read D's journal really strange. I'm sure they intended for it to be read, and it fills in some gaps that aren't explicitly shown in the game.

1. Job Classes have 14 levels in the full game
2. It depends on the job how many passive abilities you get, some only have 1 or two
3. You get stat penalties for equipping unfitting equip.
4. Depending on the difficulty you select, you WILL get wrecked if you just brave 4x with the Attack command. Some mobs can be pretty nasty...
5. You'll find more than chests in the dungeons in the full game...

What you don't seem to get that BD is deliberately designed to play like an old 16-bit RPG. It has many conveniance features added, but at the end its an SNES FF deep down. If you don't like that you won't get happy with this game. At all.

Well that does sound better. I dunno if it's better enough to warrent a purchase. The game kinda feels like a FFV reimagining in someways which is good and bad.

Jintor

Tiz is currently filling as a thief, but is stealing items really worth it? It's eating an ability slot. Though Godspeed strike can really be killer.

At chapter five.

FryHole

Tiz is currently filling as a thief, but is stealing items really worth it? It's eating an ability slot. Though Godspeed strike can really be killer.

At chapter five.

Chapter 5 maybe not so much, but in later chapters -
7 in particular, I think
- you can steal some top notch kit from the subquest bosses.

Dragner

At chapter five.

After Chapter 5 you can steal some of the most powerful items from the sidequest bosses.I just used Tiz as Thief, Ringabel as Spiritmaster and use Stillness till my Victim's pockets were empty.

Yuterald

The dungeon designs are complete shit. I have never played an RPG with such boring corridors with simply nothing happening except for random encounters. Usually I just mostly turn the encounters off and run through lifeless mazes, occasionally turning them back on to check out the enemies, while listening to some podcast. Not to mention that it´s just the same single tune for each and every dungeon. But again, it´s handy that you can turn the music on and off! I´d need these boss battle themes every time, but the other tracks tend to get old rather quickly.

Aw man, this doesn't bode too well for me. I go into dungeon-Nazi mode when I play a new RPG. It's one of the things I look forward to most. Last new-ish RPG I played with shit-dungeons was Ni-no-Kuni. I tore that game apart, but in that game's case there was far more serious issues than its dungeon design. The battle system seems a lot more competent here, so I'll see what happens when I eventual play it. Can't say that I'm really excited anymore though... =/

zoukka

Aw man, this doesn't bode too well for me. I go into dungeon-Nazi mode when I play a new RPG. It's one of the things I look forward to most. Last new-ish RPG I played with shit-dungeons was Ni-no-Kuni. I tore that game apart, but in that game's case there was far more serious issues than its dungeon design. The battle system seems a lot more competent here, so I'll see what happens when I eventual play it. Can't say that I'm really excited anymore though... =/

Just imagine there are no dungeons, because their functionality is that of a world map. Just empty space before a boss.

ss-hikaru

Arcanist/Blackmage (Dat StatusEffect+, All-Magic -> Toxin -> Eradicate for 9999 damage even on 80% of the bosses combo) -> Agnes

Oooh gonna try this. Was thinking that Arcanist's were pretty useless since status effects don't seem to work on bosses therefore you can't use twilight/exterminate.

magnetic

Personally I just ignored them (again, just switching encounters off most of the time and just running straight through them), but then again I played Etrian 1-4 as well as Strange Journey before Bravely Default, so I was a bit sick of complicated dungeons to be honest - these here are just barely a step up from Persona 3s terrible building block random dungeons.

My biggest gripe isn´t the actual (lack of) layouts, though - the temples barely look different from another. The water temple just looks a bit bluer than the fire temple, I guess, but other than that it´s just repeated textures.

I guess it really shows that this game just doesn´t even nearly reach the budgets big console RPGs back in the 90s used to have.

I´m playing Dragon Quest IV-IV and Chrono Trigger for the first time on the DS right now (BD actually got me into traditional JRPGs, so I´ve got a lot to catch up to!), and these games have massive overworlds and varied dungeons that just completely blow BD out of the water. I´ve been especially impressed by the sheer amount of music tracks that played during the first few hours of Chrono Trigger, whereas BD just really has a handful of tunes - that all are really good, but get repeated over and over again.

Which, again, probably isn´t even a fair comparison. And as I said, I´m still really loving the game, but I think it´s important to let people know that this might look like a golden era Squaresoft-sized game in scope, but it really isn´t, most likely due to budget and time constraints.

However, the large number of jobs, individual costumes for each character, visible equipment etc is pretty impressive. The game shines in a lot of other parts. I really love flipping through the many bestiary, dictionary or journal pages it has to offer, and some of the party chat dialogs are pretty funny. Animation is top notch, the town are just incredibly gorgeous... And the amount of options with the jobs you have is just huge fun.

So hopefully you don´t skip this game! I guess it´s better to know about its flaws beforehand. I´m almost certain the sequel will fix a lot of the asset recycling - as I understand BD was a pretty big experiment, and from what it seems it is quite a big hit, so the sequel should have a much bigger budget.

Salih

After Chapter 5 you can steal some of the most powerful items from the sidequest bosses.I just used Tiz as Thief, Ringabel as Spiritmaster and use Stillness till my Victim's pockets were empty.

not worth it. You can get the same items (or most of it) by other means like blue chests or finishing up norende.
Don't waste your time on those sidequest bosses, Jintor. skip 'em all.

You get the most powerful items in the post game dungeon anyways.

not worth it. You can get the same items (or most of it) by other means like blue chests or finishing up norende.
Don't waste your time on those sidequest bosses, Jintor. skip 'em all.

You get the most powerful items in the post game dungeon anyways.

The Chapter 6/7 steals are mostly blue chest / vampire castle stuff (so there's a limited supply of them). There's a couple of items in 5/6 mainly from the Ancheim area bosses that are limited supply too.

Some of these are totally inferior to the most powerful items, some of them are orthogonal, some of them are utility items.

That said if you don't want to do those battles you're not missing anything spectacular, I'm pretty sure at least one copy of everything can be found in the normal game chests / blue chests / the final dungeon / the bonus dungeon.

kiryogi

Banned
Hey if anyone has any (*interesting*) questions for the producers (Asano-san and Takahashi-san) let me know.

Ask him if they plan to pull a similar plot twist in Bravely Second . . . Or more like what in the world were they thinking when they made you do that.

but I think it´s important to let people know that this might look like a golden era Squaresoft-sized game in scope, but it really isn´t, most likely due to budget and time constraints.

Exactly how I felt about the game...it's really obvious it had to go with some constraints budget-wise. It reminds me of Persona 3 and 4 in that regards, only P3 and 4 deal with that aspect much better imo, they managed to create a whole satisfying package with the constraints. I think the decisions they took for BD go more against the whole quality of the game.

FryHole

Exactly how I felt about the game...it's really obvious it had to go with some constraints budget-wise. It reminds me of Persona 3 and 4 in that regards, only P3 and 4 deal with that aspect much better imo, they managed to create a whole satisfying package with the constraints. I think the decisions they took for BD go more against the whole quality of the game.

That's probably a good way of looking at it. Only played P4G but it seems to me it embraces the restrictions, to its benefit, whereas I got the impression with BD they instead tried to paper over them, leaving it feeling a bit bare bones in places.

wrowa

Hey if anyone has any (*interesting*) questions for the producers (Asano-san and Takahashi-san) let me know.

I'm pretty sure that everyone who finsihed/nearly finished Bravely Default wants to ask the developers the very same question. It's just too bad that it's probably not a question well suited to a pre-release PR interview.

But, yeah, it would be interesting to know if no one thought that the second half of the game was a little ... too much.

Jintor

Fuck this games random encounter algorithm, must be based on a step counter or a seeded rng cos I can't move from this save pony to the boss chamber without running into the same fucking mp wasting party.

I'll just leave the encounters off until after, I guess

orioto

Good Art™
I've been playing it for 20+ hours now.

A little disappointed i have to say. Mainly cause dungeons are the same, and wayyyy less nice visually than the towns... Enemies are not super varied.. Story is hmm.. i don't konw, good, but they talk wayyyy too much and i cannot help but finding the characters childish and boring in their personalities. Which is weird cause the story has interesting thematics, but i don't know.. Something like FFVI has probably less good dialogs, and still chibis characters right.. But they feel so mature. There, there is something cheap.. in the way they behave..

Also i'm probbly not playing the game in the smartest way (that's my fault ok!) but you have to know an rpg consists, for me, in building the strongest team possible that destroys enemies the quickest possible, with lots of organized quick grinding sessions so i'm constantly in advance, being all offensive and almost not defensive as long as i can. Problem is that in the game, that makes you basically use the knight job and brave to the death, and it.. works pretty well lol. Of course i have still the two girls (oh those stereotypes) with white magic for the bosses, cause with everyone with two hands weapons, i take pretty big damages when it's the boss turn :p

But yeah like all those job based games, most of the jobs are not really strong. It's like Tactic Ogre on PSP when you realize
Ninja and Archer will mostly kill the game anyway

wrowa

Also i'm probbly not playing the game in the smartest way (that's my fault ok!) but you have to know an rpg consists, for me, in building the strongest team possible that destroys enemies the quickest possible, with lots of organized quick grindr sessions so i'm constantly in advance, being all offensive and almost not defensive as long as i can. Problem is that in the game, that makes you basically use the knight job and brave to the death, and it.. works pretty well lol. Of course i have still the two girls (oh those stereotypes) with white magic for the bosses, cause with everyone with two hands weapons, i take pretty big damages when it's the boss turn :p

But yeah like all those job based games, most of the jobs are not really strong. It's like Tactic Ogre on PSP when you realize
Ninja and Archer will mostly kill the game anyway

If you want to kill your enemies quickly and efficiently, the Knight isn't really the way to go. :p Actually, I thought it was one of the least useful classes in the game.

Gambit

If you want to kill your enemies quickly and efficiently, the Knight isn't really the way to go. :p Actually, I thought it was one of the least useful classes in the game.

agreed. Templar is a superior version of it, but even that is among the weaker classes.

orioto

Good Art™

At that point in the game, the thing is i've tried other jobs but maybe the first things you learn weren't that great. But i've been using the stomp hit with the monk power boost ability and two handed, with all four characters, and even the bosses don't take long. It's basically they kill me or i kill them quickly lol.

When i find a good place to grind job i'll explore the rest :p

Exentryk

1. A lot of fans disliked chapters 5-8. Ask them if they plan to address this in the second game.

2. Why are towns so small? Budget restrictions? Does Bravely Second have a bigger budget?

3. Why are there no slots to save your party setup? Changing from your boss team configuration to a random encounters setup is annoying. Plus it makes it easier for people to experiment.

4. Why do Compounded item combinations not get saved in a list for easy future use? It's a hassle trying to remember various item combinations.

5. Why do the "buns" drop rate reduce over time? Also, why no "increase item drop rate" ability?

6. If Bravely Second succeeds, would you consider making Bravely Third/Fourth for the PS4?

At that point in the game, the thing is i've tried other jobs but maybe the first things you learn weren't that great. But i've been using the stomp hit with the monk power boost ability and two handed, with all four characters, and even the bosses don't take long. It's basically they kill me or i kill them quickly lol.

When i find a good place to grind job i'll explore the rest :p

Want a tip?

Level up Norende weapon shop to 5 (6?), and it should unlock Angel's Bow. Buy 2 or 3 of them and you'll cruize through the early game.

danthefan

Yay, finally got all classes unlocked. Think I'll just move on and try finish the game now. Though I heard there's some good equipment in Ch. 7?

Exentryk

Yay, finally got all classes unlocked. Think I'll just move on and try finish the game now. Though I heard there's some good equipment in Ch. 7?

Yes. Steal from every boss there. You don't want to miss the "Hermes Shoes". Make sure you use Rob Blind for all your steals too.

jschreier

I'm pretty sure that everyone who finsihed/nearly finished Bravely Default wants to ask the developers the very same question. It's just too bad that it's probably not a question well suited to a pre-release PR interview.

But, yeah, it would be interesting to know if no one thought that the second half of the game was a little ... too much.
Oh, it's not about this being a pre-release PR interview, I just don't want to spoil myself on what does happen in the later chapters. But we'll see.

FryHole

Bravely Default feels very much like an early 16-bit RPG in its game design and story structure (town/dungeon/boss/repeat). Do the developers plan to evolve the series to evoke later 16-bit/32-bit RPGs by attempting more sophisticated structures such set-pieces, story twists that repeatedly alter your final goal, and a more blurred line between dungeon/town and and the nature of the dungeons?

Top Bottom