• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Lombax

Banned
Looking for opinions on this. Is it best to stick with a job until it is has hit its level cap?

I have kept two chars as a monk and black mage for the 20+ hours I have played so far the job levels for both of them is at 10. Two others I play around with but at the moment they are level 8 and 9 ['dragoon' and hunter].

So what say you GAF? Can you shoot yourself in the foot playing around with jobs, and being a jack of all trades master of none?

Just in case I just hit chapter 3 on the train this morning.

I have an endgame question:

I am at the beginning of Chapter 8 and want to get see the normal and true endings. I have read that the ending triggers depend on whether you continue hitting x to break the crystal or listen to Airey. I'm just wondering if the final battle will trigger after I break the crystal, and if ending the game there will trigger another loop for me to re-fight the crystal bosses?

Basically I want to know what, if anything, I will have to do again to see both endings?

Looking for opinions on this. Is it best to stick with a job until it is has hit its level cap?

I have kept two chars as a monk and black mage for the 20+ hours I have played so far the job levels for both of them is at 10. Two others I play around with but at the moment they are level 8 and 9 ['dragoon' and hunter].

So what say you GAF? Can you shoot yourself in the foot playing around with jobs, and being a jack of all trades master of none?

I usually swap jobs when the JP required ramps up drastically. There are benefits to sticking with one/a few jobs (better stats and abilities) or levelling up multiple jobs (more variety in abilities), but I don't think you'll get screwed over either way.

EDIT

I am at the beginning of Chapter 8 and want to get see the normal and true endings. I have read that the ending triggers depend on whether you continue hitting x to break the crystal or listen to Airey. I'm just wondering if the final battle will trigger after I break the crystal, and if ending the game there will trigger another loop for me to re-fight the crystal bosses?

Basically I want to know what, if anything, I will have to do again to see both endings?

Yes, you can loop around after either ending.

The final battle is a dungeon after your decision. For the True Ending, there's a big battle very soon, so you should prepare for that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

After beating the game through any ending it will ask you to save and put you back at the beginning of CH8 before you awakened the 4 crystals.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

At some point JP cost rise so much it's in your best interests to experiment around; you get a lot more support abilities faster that way. Of course, you have to make sure you've got enough Black Magic/White Magic Levels but apart from that go hog wild.

redcrayon

Major spoiler.

Breaking the crystal will lead to a final boss fight and the standard ending, after which it will dump you back at the title screen without saving, so you can go for the true ending if you wish.

Maybesew

Any suggestions on the ninja asterisk fight? Job combos as well as anything else useful. I was pretty tired last night when I tried it but I got wrecked.

rugioh

Banned
What is the concept behind low leverage and stillness based teams? If I wanted to build one of those teams for a fight what is the objective?

Any suggestions on the ninja asterisk fight? Job combos as well as anything else useful. I was pretty tired last night when I tried it but I got wrecked.

I think it would be funny to have a buffed Knight, while your three spell-casters have critical HP (from walking over lava).

The Ninja only uses single-target physicals, which should be redirected by the Knight's Protect Ally. Not sure if Shippujinrai goes before Protect Ally though.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm starting chapter 2 on normal and all of my characters are level ~28. Is that overleveled? I noticed I didn't have much of a problem with either Orthros or the evil time mage king dude.

Also, I need some jobs suggestions. Right now I have a white mage, a black mage, a monk and a knight and despite completing some sidequests so I now have spellfencer, time mage and thief, I haven't invested anything on those. Should I be doing that? Are any of those worth investing on maybe just to grab some passive abilities at least?

Mael

I'm starting chapter 2 on normal and all of my characters are level ~28. Is that overleveled? I noticed I didn't have much of a problem with either Orthros or the evil time mage king dude.

Also, I need some jobs suggestions. Right now I have a white mage, a black mage, a monk and a knight and despite completing some sidequests so I now have spellfencer, time mage and thief, I haven't invested anything on those. Should I be doing that? Are any of those worth investing on maybe just to grab some passive abilities at least?

I don't know about overlevel but I know I finished chap1 on something like lvl20...
28 seems a bit high but I'm only playing veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly
Thief is a must I'd say since you can steal plenty of stuffs that way and if you're low on cash you can sell the stuffs you get in battle.
spellfencer is a must for element based attacks, my merchant is a killer with a lance right now.
You're pretty free to use whatever you want it really depends on your playstyle.
I haven't found a use for my timemage but then again it's my whitemage diversifying...
e: oh yes there's counter slow that's kinda cool I guess for a timemage....

VRMN

Magic and items synthesized via Salve-Maker bypass her counter defenses. However, any single physical attack shuts it off, as well. So I would have Edea relatively constantly using high jump, and if the ninja used that ability, I'd have Tiz (otherwise on standby) attack to trigger the counter so she'd still take the more powerful attack by Edea.

Anustart

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good FAQ that discusses the b/d system?

Default defends for a character and stores a turn. Brave uses an extra turn, either one saved or one spent on credit. If you spend them on credit, the character sits and does nothing til you get back to even steven.

All there is to it.

Letep

Default defends for a character and stores a turn. Brave uses an extra turn, either one saved or one spent on credit. If you spend them on credit, the character sits and does nothing til you get back to even steven.

All there is to it.

That's very clear. Thanks!

Anustart

That's very clear. Thanks!

No problem. Also, regular moves take 1 bp, while there's some special moves that take more. So doing one of those moves sends you into the red quicker.

Also, just entered chapter 4 and...... these monsters are
LOADED! I'm rich!

Zing

Banned

I feel you are seriously shorting yourself here. I've changed jobs constantly. Each character has 4-5 jobs leveled a decent amount. Hell, I even (accidentally) "wasted" JP on Edea getting her white and black mage to level four. Despite my job levels being half yours, I have had little difficulty with the game, but I suspect a bit more fun.

What support and sub-job abilities are you using? Don't you feel that those slots are going to waste? Finding a complimentary sub-job is one of the more interesting aspects of the game for me. Also, there are many support abilities that greatly benefit jobs other than the ones which award them.

Also, did you somehow skip getting the Thief job? I find it incredible that someone could get that job and not be tempted to immediate switch. I feel it's probably one of the best jobs up to this point.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of new jobs in chapter 4. But I'm so happy with my setup :O

Any tip on which of the new ones are essential?

CorvoSol

Not very far in the game yet, so I only have two little complaints so far:

1)The voice acting is meh anyway, but it also sounds really muffled for some reason.

2) My name is Anges and I don't want you to join my party. Every time.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You can rename your characters after Ch4 I think. In the restaurant area of Grandship. Talk to the Fox. Ringabel now has his old name. And Tiz will now have a different name. It's a aesthetic change though VA still says the original name's given. However all text will change the name from say Tiz to whatever name you give him. Same for all other characters. Even in the Journal entries!

redcrayon

I feel you are seriously shorting yourself here. I've changed jobs constantly. Each character has 4-5 jobs leveled a decent amount. Hell, I even (accidentally) "wasted" JP on Edea getting her white and black mage to level four. Despite my job levels being half yours, I have had little difficulty with the game, but I suspect a bit more fun.

What support and sub-job abilities are you using? Don't you feel that those slots are going to waste? Finding a complimentary sub-job is one of the more interesting aspects of the game for me. Also, there are many support abilities that greatly benefit jobs other than the ones which award them.

Also, did you somehow skip getting the Thief job? I find it incredible that someone could get that job and not be tempted to immediate switch. I feel it's probably one of the best jobs up to this point.

Levelling up white and black mage isn't a waste, particularly in the late game when job points are easier to gain.

The black magic ability 'target all' can be applied to the white magic 'dispel', allowing you to not only remove all enemy buffs at once, but also remove all debuffs on your own party with one move- very handy for bosses,
dragons
etc. In particular, several of the later bosses
have a 'weak-to-x-element' move they will cast on your whole party.

Blasty

Should I stick to one job and try to level that up, or should I use the best one I have?

I have Black Mage, White Mage, Monk, and Freelancer.

Should I stick to one job and try to level that up, or should I use the best one I have?

It's worth it to spread it out a little. As expected, Jobs get harder to level up the higher they go. So you could have four levels in two jobs or five levels in one. The first character will have eight abilities she can use and the second will have only five. More options is good. Especially with the magi. It does you no good to have Black Magic 4 unlocked and only level 3 spell scrolls available.

denshuu

Just use the best ones until you want to try something different or they stop working as well. As you progress through the game, you'll start fighting battles in which you gain so much JP that you can get jobs up to 8 or 9 in a handful of fights. Also remember that your job level is primarily what determines your effectiveness in combat. A level 1 knight does about as much damage as a level 8 black mage. Those job levels make all the difference.

You should probably switch that Freelancer ASAP though, that character won't learn any super useful skills until much later.

I'm sure this has been asked maaaaany times, but what are the best places to EXP and JP grind? I just started Chapter 4, and I need to beef up a bit.

I finally completed the game last night with all character levels and jobs maxed out. Completed all the side quests as well though the latest ones seem to just be to challenge yourself as they didn't add any story or any other benefit. You an probably steal decent items from them but at that point in the game it's of no use to me. I do have a couple questions though:

1. I never bothered reading the book of D or
Alternis' journal
, do they add any worthwhile story to the game that hasn't already been revealed to me by completing it? If so, what did I miss?

2. I heard that the title screen changes through out the game but I always kept my game going in sleep mode so I missed those, anyone catch them? I did see the final one after completing the game which was pretty cool.

All in all I still have the same impressions of the game, very strong combat system, fantastic customization features, some nice music, and great looking towns. I felt the side quests were the best part of the game and had more interesting plot lines than the main story. It was a lot of fun trying out so many different jobs and checking out their abilities. It was great having so many boss battles as well. Really my only issues are the overly simplistic and mailed-in dungeons and a pretty weak primary narrative which would have been a deal breaker for me if the game wasn't so fun to play with interesting side quests. I do think the endgame story improves the quality a bit and it isn't so bad over all but just has poor execution. I hope they learn what people didn't like about this game and improve there in the sequel.

The preview for Bravely Second was pretty cool, hope it comes to the states. I wonder if they'll just bring all the same jobs back or come up with new ones? There are so many I imagine it'd be pretty tough to come up with new jobs. Well, maybe keep the more popular ones with perhaps some different abilities and add a few new ones.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The preview for Bravely Second was pretty cool, hope it comes to the states. I wonder if they'll just bring all the same jobs back or come up with new ones? There are so many I imagine it'd be pretty tough to come up with new jobs. Well, maybe keep the more popular ones with perhaps some different abilities and add a few new ones.

Man, that preview seriously looked like it had more money put into it than like... the entirety of Bravely Default.

FryHole

I'm sure this has been asked maaaaany times, but what are the best places to EXP and JP grind? I just started Chapter 4, and I need to beef up a bit.

Island northeast of Florem, has a keystone monument, a beach at the south end and ice covering much of the rest. Grind on the beach.

Man, that preview seriously looked like it had more money put into it than like... the entirety of Bravely Default.

I think it's just the way it was presented but it was pretty awesome. If they did that often I'd say higher production values but I'm guessing it's just a flashy AR intro like we had for this game but there is clearly some improvements for the sequel version. Definitely hypes you up a bit for the next one.

Just a heads up, this spot isn't amazing until Chapter 5 when a specific enemy appears that drops 999JP when you fight a group of them and get the unscathed bonus (with the growth egg on). There isn't really a defacto spot for Chapter 4 though so you can give it a try. I personally grinded in the dungeon you already completed right outside a certain room where you can get a free refresh. Regardless, definitely use this spot Fryhole mentions for Chapter 5 on and thanks Fryhole, I believe you were the one that tipped me onto it on the other thread as well.

Top Bottom