• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

khaaan

Is the online functionality of this game prominent enough that someone should experience them during their playthrough? I've had the game since day one but I haven't played it yet because I want to get through Mario & Luigi Dream Team first....but God is it so slow. Based on the structure of the walkthrough I just checked out I'm only around the halfway point.

Do it in Bravely Second.

Ho ho ho ho ho

Don't give me ideas!

I'm having a hard time understanding why Low Leverage is so good. Doesn't it halve your damage as well as the enemies?

It's good for bosses that normally one-shot your party. It'll make the battle drag, but saves you spending BP reviving characters only to see them one-shot again.

I hear Rage works well because the damage is already high to begin with and you use it 10 times with Low Leverage (since you lose less HP), instead of the normal 5. Haven't gotten around to trying though.

EDIT

Is the online functionality of this game prominent enough that someone should experience them during their playthrough? I've had the game since day one but I haven't played it yet because I want to get through Mario & Luigi Dream Team first....but God is it so slow. Based on the structure of the walkthrough I just checked out I'm only around the halfway point.

You need it to get Norende village residents without StreetPass. Plus Nemeses, guest summons and if you have friends, their summons and Abilink.

It's part of what made my experience so fun.

Don't give me ideas!

It's good for bosses that normally one-shot your party. It'll make the battle drag, but saves you spending BP reviving characters only to see them one-shot again.

I hear Rage works well because the damage is already high to begin with and you use it 10 times with Low Leverage (since you lose less HP), instead of the normal 5. Haven't gotten around to trying though.

Rage caps at 5 hits anyway, so I don't see how that's useful
and Full Leverage>>>>>>>>Low Leverage

I've been thinking since last night and noticed another problem with the story in chapter 5+
if, as the ending of the game implies, there are all those thousands of parallel protagonists as well, why don't we see any of them? The side quests kind of imply they exist, but otherwise there is no mention of them at all. The Summoner side quest is the only one that even touches on this, but like all the other side quests the writers forgot they existed when they made the ending.

Also,
was Ringabel supposed to have gone back in time or something in the ending scene? They never mention that was possible. They also never explain why exactly Airy decided to kill the protagonists in the original world bu then decide the guys in the next one were worth keeping alive. I suppose it would make sense if it had something to with Airy's sister giving Tiz power or something, but its never explained.

KarmaCow

Not to my knowledge*. There is a cut off point of sorts, but you can get everything later.

*Unless you're a really OCD player.

Well I want to complete the compendium with items/skills/enemies and I just ran into (Chapter 4 spoilers)
the point of no return prompt from the pillar of light.

Well I want to complete the compendium with items/skills/enemies and I just ran into (Chapter 4 spoilers)
the point of no return prompt from the pillar of light.

In that case, you've nothing to worry about : )

Some minor/mid spoilers:
Some enemies and thus Genome Abilities will become unavailable until you reach the bonus dungeon, which opens during the ending.

That reminds me, ENDING SPOILER
Is the celestial inside Tiz Airy's sister? I forgot she even existed until she pops out at the end and thanks you for dealing with her sister. She's just a fairy though so not sure how she'd be a celestial but I can't think of anyone else it could be

That reminds me, ENDING SPOILER
Is the celestial inside Tiz Airy's sister? I forgot she even existed until she pops out at the end and thanks you for dealing with her sister. She's just a fairy though so not sure how she'd be a celestial but I can't think of anyone else it could be

I don't think so.

Were you paying attention during the final boss? (Note: Not dissing here; I actually missed it the first time.)

MEGA spoilers:
You see the Celestial Realm in the final phase

I don't think so.

Were you paying attention during the final boss? (Note: Not dissing here; I actually missed it the first time.)

MEGA spoilers:
You see the Celestial Realm in the final phase

Really? I remember seeing other worlds that the game pretended was assigned to people on my friends list, that had the same 4 heroes but I don't remember a celestial world. One of the worlds had a celestial looking dragon flying in front of it but it seemed like a typical grandship and crew to me so don't interpret that as a celestial world. What are you talking about, exactly?

KarmaCow

In that case, you've nothing to worry about : )

Some minor/mid spoilers:
Some enemies and thus Genome Abilities will become unavailable until you reach the bonus dungeon, which opens during the ending.

As long as I can get everything at the end that's fine. Thanks.

Really? I remember seeing other worlds that the game pretended was assigned to people on my friends list, that had the same 4 heroes but I don't remember a celestial world. One of the worlds had a celestial looking dragon flying in front of it but it seemed like a typical grandship and crew to me so don't interpret that as a celestial world. What are you talking about, exactly?

Hmm, weird, I can't find the right footage.

MEGA SPOILERS for final boss:
When you're in battle, you can see a parallel Luxendarc in the background, behind your characters. During the final phase, Luxendarc is replaced by the Celestial Realm and through it you see yourself.

When you're in battle, you can see a parallel Luxendarc in the background, behind your characters. During the final phase, Luxendarc is replaced by the Celestial Realm and through it you see yourself.

oh I didn't notice, I was High Jumping away
:p

Was it during the actual combat portion? I too was just high jumping away haha I'm guessing I could youtube the fight and see what you're talking about. Is it even worth looking up? When you say
yourself, do you mean....oh, the 3DS camera captures you and you literally see yourself as the celestial? That's cool haha

Was it during the actual combat portion? I too was just high jumping away haha I'm guessing I could youtube the fight and see what you're talking about. Is it even worth looking up? When you say
yourself, do you mean....oh, the 3DS camera captures you and you literally see yourself as the celestial? That's cool haha

Yeah, you're correct on all accounts.

Weird thing is that I don't see it in two Youtube videos (maybe some kind of interference with the capture devices?) and I didn't notice it until my second playthrough. So not sure if you'll have any luck finding it o__o

That reminds me, I tried to take a picture for Miiverse, but the screen wouldn't show up when I tried to write a post.

Yeah, you're correct on all accounts.

Weird thing is that I don't see it in two Youtube videos (maybe some kind of interference with the capture devices?) and I didn't notice it until my second playthrough. So not sure if you'll have any luck finding it o__o

That reminds me, I tried to take a picture for Miiverse, but the screen wouldn't show up when I tried to write a post.

Too bad I saved post credits otherwise I'd redo the last fight real quick to see it. The price I pay for being so overpowered that I could initiate the fight and turn away haha That
celestial
bit finally makes sense now though hehe I didn't even know the
3DS could capture footage from the front side

Amazing....the trash before the Earth Crystal gave me far more trouble than the boss lol

Although that may have been partially due to trying to conserve MP to use on the boss

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hey guys, I need a little advice on the Ch4 sidequest.
I'm level 52 trying to the vampire quest and these dragons are tough. I just got Arcanist, Spiritmaster, and Templar, so I have no levels in them and would rather not resort to grinding jp. I'm also not looking to build a custom party just for specific fights, so no quadruple ninja dodging here. Think of it as a personal challenge! I'm looking for some general tips. Is the breath attack physical or magic? I tried both +pdef and +mdef and it didn't seem to affect much. Is there any way to get rid of the elemental weakness debuff? Does the ninja's aggro redirection skill make the dragon stick to single target attacks? Anything handy I might be missing?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I need a little advice on the Ch4 sidequest.
I'm level 52 trying to the vampire quest and these dragons are tough. I just got Arcanist, Spiritmaster, and Templar, so I have no levels in them and would rather not resort to grinding jp. I'm also not looking to build a custom party just for specific fights, so no quadruple ninja dodging here. Think of it as a personal challenge! I'm looking for some general tips. Is the breath attack physical or magic? I tried both +pdef and +mdef and it didn't seem to affect much. Is there any way to get rid of the elemental weakness debuff? Does the ninja's aggro redirection skill make the dragon stick to single target attacks? Anything handy I might be missing?

Thanks!
Most of us that finished the game already seemed to be already OP or in the least, did the Ninja cheese for that part haha If you aren't willing to do that, all but one I think have a specific elemental weakness to exploit and likewise, they use a specific element against you that you can protect yourself against. The attack you're asking about is considered a physical attack. What jobs have you leveled up?

I've been thinking since last night and noticed another problem with the story in chapter 5+
if, as the ending of the game implies, there are all those thousands of parallel protagonists as well, why don't we see any of them? The side quests kind of imply they exist, but otherwise there is no mention of them at all. The Summoner side quest is the only one that even touches on this, but like all the other side quests the writers forgot they existed when they made the ending.

Also,
was Ringabel supposed to have gone back in time or something in the ending scene? They never mention that was possible. They also never explain why exactly Airy decided to kill the protagonists in the original world bu then decide the guys in the next one were worth keeping alive. I suppose it would make sense if it had something to with Airy's sister giving Tiz power or something, but its never explained.
Usually the the parallel version are dead. For example in 1 of the world, it is Tiz's brother who survived instead of Tiz

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am on the verge about this game....

The battle system. Is it slow or fast? I've seen some videos but still can't grasp it :p

Chapter 4:

So how good are
Arcanist and Spiritmaster
jobs? Are they better than Black Mage and White Mage?

Arcanist has a move or two that can trash weak mobs and can supplement Black Magic builds if you like to use black mages but most people go away from magic in the later portion of the game favoring physical damage builds. Spirit master is an amazing supplement to White Mage builds. There is no better healer than a White Mage/Spiritmaster. That said, many people seem to just use 4 of whatever is the most powerful build and don't even bother with conventional roles.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Most of us that finished the game already seemed to be already OP or in the least, did the Ninja cheese for that part haha If you aren't willing to do that, all but one I think have a specific elemental weakness to exploit and likewise, they use a specific element against you that you can protect yourself against. The attack you're asking about is considered a physical attack. What jobs have you leveled up?
I have every job up until that point not including the jobs I mentioned leveled up to 7~11. Of course, these jobs are spread out among my party. How do I protect myself against the breaths? I tried using the element charm accessories, but the debuff seems to override it.

Arcanist has a move or two that can trash weak mobs and can supplement Black Magic builds if you like to use black mages but most people go away from magic in the later portion of the game favoring physical damage builds. Spirit master is an amazing supplement to White Mage builds. There is no better healer than a White Mage/Spiritmaster. That said, many people seem to just use 4 of whatever is the most powerful build and don't even bother with conventional roles.

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for the info/thoughts about 'em. :)

I'm a fan of the more traditional roles personally. For boss battles, my setup is usually (main/sub): Black Mage/Time Mage, White Mage/Performer, Thief/Ninja, and Ninja, Valkyrie, Pirate, etc. I know that setup is probably not the most powerful or even a smart one to do, but it's the most entertaining to me. Just doing like all Ninjas or whatever would be pretty boring, imo. Speaking of Ninja, what is a good subjob for that one? I usually sub Valkyrie for trash so I can spam Crescent Moon, but not sure what is best for bosses.

Why do they have to make the
Arcanist
job look so ridiculous? I want to level it up for a bit, but in cutscenes, seeing Tiz with
that furry tail just makes me laugh. Even in serious cutscenes, lol. Ranger has the same problem..

Arcanist
job look so ridiculous? I want to level it up for a bit, but in cutscenes, seeing Tiz with
that furry tail just makes me laugh. Even in serious cutscenes, lol. Ranger has the same problem..

you know, I didn't notice Victoria had a tail behind her until after switching MY characters to Arcanist :lol

I have every job up until that point not including the jobs I mentioned leveled up to 7~11. Of course, these jobs are spread out among my party. How do I protect myself against the breaths? I tried using the element charm accessories, but the debuff seems to override it.

That's why Ninja is so perfect, that one ability works specifically against physical damage attacks. Otherwise, I'd say just general defensive supplements like a shield and armor that focuses on physical defense. You can use knight if you want to play especially defensive if you don't care to level up that latest job you picked up. I imagine you could use Knight for the defense benefits and spell fencer as secondary to use elemental attacks that exploit their weakness to pack some punch. I'm not sure on removing the debuff, I'm guessing Esunaga doesn't work on that? I'm guessing you could counter it with a buff using the
salvemaster
class but it seems simpler to just beef up your defense over all. I was level 99 for this fight so they didn't phase me to a point where I had to strategize haha The knight/spell fencer sounds good to me in theory though if you don't want to breeze past them with the Ninja strategy.

I'm not normally into JRPG, but I tried the demo and quite liked the job and combat system. However, the reports of the second half of the game being a bit of a drag have me a bit worried. Those of you who have beaten the game, would you say it's still a worthwhile experience or have the final chapters soured your opinion on it?

It is very worth it.

Even if you stop half way...which you kind of should ... you still get 20 odd hours of the best JRPG goodness to be released in a long time.

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for the info/thoughts about 'em. :)

I'm a fan of the more traditional roles personally. For boss battles, my setup is usually (main/sub): Black Mage/Time Mage, White Mage/Performer, Thief/Ninja, and Ninja, Valkyrie, Pirate, etc. I know that setup is probably not the most powerful or even a smart one to do, but it's the most entertaining to me. Just doing like all Ninjas or whatever would be pretty boring, imo. Speaking of Ninja, what is a good subjob for that one? I usually sub Valkyrie for trash so I can spam Crescent Moon, but not sure what is best for bosses.

Arcanist

I usually am too, I'm not used to broken combinations but then again, I haven't played many job system games.
One of the top 3 most broken builds in the game is Ninja/Valkyrie but it requires you master Time Mage first to get it's final support ability. If you're not looking for super cheese though, spell fencer goes nicely with ninja since you can exploit a boss' elemental weakness and get in the rapid multi attacks that ninjas can do.

Maybesew

Does the speed of chapter progression pick up at any point? I'm towards the end (I think) of Chapter 3, and my save game is at 33 hours.

Does the speed of chapter progression pick up at any point? I'm towards the end (I think) of Chapter 3, and my save game is at 33 hours.

Yep, Chapter 3 is the longest and the rest of the chapters are substantially shorter not counting any grinding you might do.

Lurking

Banned
This game is great. Kind of regret grinding early on because it took away the challenge. Also because once you get Chapter 6 Job Spoilers
Conjurer's ability Obliterate makes grinding super easy

Im still on the fence about, Im right there ready to pick up but I hesitate because it looks like it can be overwhelming, Im not 20 yrs old anymore, I need something simple, I love jrpgs but prefer simple set class structure, I want one class throughout the game, couple of weapon upgrades, I dont like managing my allies anymore either, can I do these things?

What's the best amount of time for keeping the Freelancer job? I just got the Monk and White Mage jobs, but am unsure if I want to abandon Freelancer after only getting to level 2...

spiritfox

What's the best amount of time for keeping the Freelancer job? I just got the Monk and White Mage jobs, but am unsure if I want to abandon Freelancer after only getting to level 2...

As soon as possible. Freelancers do not bring enough to the table until much later, and even then there are better class combinations.

Weiss

Banned
So I just beat the Earth Crystal boss and am about to do the Vampire sidequest, and I wondering if there's any good way to grind jobs past level 9 at this point, or if I just wait until Chapter 5 and beyond.

Top Bottom