• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

image.php

I had to

I've avatar quoted him like 3 times in this thread regarding the same thing :D

Man finally getting back into this after a 3 day break with Titnafall, may have burnt myself out a bit with job grinding and annoying mobs in chapter 4.
Did the dragons with ninja auto battles and got Vampire
. Now to move along the story. from all your responses, I'm in for a doozy in the next chapter huh (really liked the backstory stuff from the last side quest)

Also anyone know the farming technique with High Jump (or was it super high jump) and slow world? Does each character have to have it equipped or am I missing something?

Anustart

I think you're missing
ninja.

Actually no wait, if you already got the
ninja
, then you're good to go onto the next chapter

Nope, I didn't. Though after depositing
Egil
in Caldisla, a blue mark popped up in the chapter 3 area, is that it?

Always go back and check the blue "!", usually means a side job that can lead to a new asterisk.

Yeah, it just popped up, assuming that's it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Spiritmaster is top tier, dat Stillness and other stuff
Arcanist is....pretty good, but it's not the best

Spiritmaster is the one that can get the ability to
double your HP in battle
, which is pretty sweet. Not necessary, but it's kinda fun to roll up on a motherfucker with like
16000hp
. Sup now, motherfucker?

Spiritmaster is the one that can get the ability to
double your HP in battle
, which is pretty sweet. Not necessary, but it's kinda fun to roll up on a motherfucker with like
16000hp
. Sup now, motherfucker?

not worth the slots, might as well use a Salve-Maker for that instead

Arcanist is my group cleaning job, paired with multi-target status spells. 2 sleeps + 2 Twilights = dead enemies.

Useless for bosses though.
A lot of bosses can actually be poisoned, so arcanist is great for those. But it's a hassle because it's not clear when you can actually set-up exterminate.

Kay need help with end of chapter 4:

Any tips I'm defeating Artemis? I manage to get a few rounds in before he starts hitting me with a -9999 hit taking everyone down one at a time. I don't even see him default, he just gets extra turns.

Also, can I still do the vampire sub quest post pillar of light?

Busaiku

Any tips I'm defeating Artemis? I manage to get a few rounds in before he starts hitting me with a -9999 hit taking everyone down one at a time. I don't even see him default, he just gets extra turns.

Utsusemi/Transience/Turn Tables.

shtkn

wow uh,
so i broke one of the crystals in ch 5 just to see if i could and now the plot took a major turn and auto save saved my progress... did i just skip ahead a bunch and am i severely underleveled? my characters are in teh 50s

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Didn't get to progress as much as I would've liked, but I should be able to finish chapter 5 fairly quickly tomorrow. I'm assuming I'm in for more of the same after that :p

Mega End-game Spoilers inbound. Do not unspoil if you haven't gotten the true ending.

So after many attempts and not bullshitting the final-form Airy fight I said screw it and just used that time haste + high jump cheese tactic. Made the Ouroboros fight easy too haha.

Besides that, I'm trying to organize my thoughts on the ending but am having trouble with it for some reason. Overall, I liked it. You guys mentioned earlier how Chapter 5+ were a result of apparent budget issues, and I have to 100% agree with that assessment. Looking back on the immense stupidity of the characters over that period of time, I have to question if they just had a bunch of space to fill and didn't know what to do with it. I raged earlier about
them ignoring Airy's deceit despite knowing about it, and I refuse to believe they could overlook such a massive plot hole.
I think what they really should have done is rather than
go to 4 different worlds is to go to one radically different parallel world. This would make the parties ignorance a lot more believable and made the game much more interesting.
However, with the budget being so tight, I'm sure that wasn't possible. It's depressing, really.

Also, I just totally realized that
the true ending doesn't even make any sense in the first place. To get it you have to do all the side quests right? Well, one of the side quests is how they all found the world in chapter 7 to be one that they can actually live in because their forms in those world died. But the ending makes no mention of this. Ringabel instead goes to the original world to save them or something? And I'm pretty sure there was a line in there that the one he loved and failed to save was Agnes and not Edea, which is really stupid.
So... yea. Another example of quality writing.
Where's my Ringabel x Edea OTP dammit :(

Also
ALL OF MY HYPE AT THAT SECRET MOVIE. Holy crap that looked so awesome. Those character designs looked absolutely fantastic and it looks like Tiz might not be generic boring good guy JRPG protagonist if he's been getting experimented on like it implies. If the setting of the game is more like that in the movie and not generic fantasy land then holy crap day 1.

Mega End-game Spoilers inbound. Do not unspoil if you haven't gotten the true ending.
Also, I just totally realized that
the true ending doesn't even make any sense in the first place. To get it you have to do all the side quests right?
You don't actually need to do any side-quests, you only have to not break any crystals. And that's part of the problem, the game acts like none of the side-quests ever happened because they are optional. Though it's tough to tell what's going on with the ending because of its sequel hooks. Did you watch the AR video you get after beating the game?

You're not making it easier for somebody who just arrived at chapter 5 lol. Should I bother with the sidequests? Or do they just add experience?
Only do them in chapter 7. Except for the side quest
to unlock the conjurer class
in chapter 6.

You don't actually need to do any side-quests, you only have to not break any crystals. And that's part of the problem, the game acts like none of the side-quests ever happened because they are optional. Though it's tough to tell what's going on with the ending because of its sequel hooks. Did you watch the AR video you get after beating the game?

Only do them in chapter 7. Except for the side quest
to unlock the conjurer class
in chapter 6.

All right cool. I saw all those bubbles and I was a bit overwhelmed. Will do.

Then what's the point of even having that side quest? Or even literally any of them past Chapter 5? Well, at least I got my money's worth. But man, there has to have been some major writing issues when making this game, I refuse to believe that the guy who wrote Steins;Gate wrote something like this with its many problems with out some major interference or re-working of parts.

Also yea,
the AR video was awesome. Got me hyped for the seque despite all my complaints.

Anustart

Just entered chapter 4, do I have to do anything else with Egil?

Haven't gotten into a random battle yet, but I hear they're feisty in this chapter.

Sallokin

You might wanna contact Amazon about that. Several people in this thread had the same unfortunate damages you have.

I'm not sure if they would be able to replace the box, but I think they would help repay you in Amazon credits or something like that.

I got in touch and they were unable to replace it so I got a refund. Art book and stuff is mostly intact. Such a bummer that amazon's shipping quality has been piss poor of late.

Just entered chapter 4, do I have to do anything else with Egil?

Haven't gotten into a random battle yet, but I hear they're feisty in this chapter.

I wouldn't recommend random battles anywhere in the soil. You might get these mushrooms where if you don't kill them with a melee attack on the first hit they'll confuse you and more will appear.

I'd suggest sticking to icy terrain.

Wazzy

Banned
Received my copy today. I've just gotten my third party member and I'm loving the game so far.

I will say, the opening CG was kind of nasty looking. It made the characters look weird. Other wise the game is absolutely beautiful.

loved the demo and getting the game soon, stupid question but for those past 1/2 through the game is it a good idea to grind each class for each character or only a few?

The customization seems overwhelming lol

loved the demo and getting the game soon, stupid question but for those past 1/2 through the game is it a good idea to grind each class for each character or only a few?

The customization seems overwhelming lol

It's a good idea to switch classes for each character rather than grind one or two to a high level. JP gain per battle increases pretty dramatically as the game goes on, so trying to focus on a smaller number of classes early in the game doesn't make sense.

redcrayon

One tactic amongst many:
Levelling up the Salve-maker job will give the auto-Phoenix skill, where, if you have a KO'd party member at the end of one of your characters turns, they will use a Phoenix Down on them. Having two characters with auto-Phoenix makes it really hard to get wiped out from single heavy hits like that.

I'm not normally into JRPG, but I tried the demo and quite liked the job and combat system. However, the reports of the second half of the game being a bit of a drag have me a bit worried. Those of you who have beaten the game, would you say it's still a worthwhile experience or have the final chapters soured your opinion on it?

I'm not normally into JRPG, but I tried the demo and quite liked the job and combat system. However, the reports of the second half of the game being a bit of a drag have me a bit worried. Those of you who have beaten the game, would you say it's still a worthwhile experience or have the final chapters soured your opinion on it?

Second half is definitely a drag, but if you keep an open mind, you can still enjoy it. The first chapter of the second half is definitely a bummer, but it starts picking up again (mainly if you love challenging battles).

Would definitely recommend the game despite the weaker second half.

Also, on the subject of Poison... Is one of the Nemeses (
Asmodeus
) meant to take full poison damage on purpose? Is that how you could beat it in 4 Heroes of Light?

redcrayon

I finished Bravely Default a good four weeks back, and, after a bit of time to ruminate on it, here's my opinion on the second half. Spoilers, obv.

I think that the final chapters are misleadingly labelled chapters 5-8, when they don't make up half of the content. The meat of the game is chapters 1-4, that's where I spent 40 hours of my 50 hour playthrough. I consider chapters 5-8 to be one single 'finale' chapter, chapter five, if you will. I suspect they labelled them 5-8 to help players feel like they are making progress through the parallel worlds rather than going around in circles, but it has the side effect of making the player feel like the first four chapters of content wasn't enough. After 40 hours, I thought they were plenty. In the long run, I think BD will catch a lot of flak for the repetition, but I think it deserves credit for turning a lot of things on their heads regarding people fighting to the death over bloody crystals. Also actually showing the use of technology to harness the crystals for healing is a pleasant change from the usual Captain-Planet-esque technology-and-religion-are-evil, spirituality-and-nature-are-good sentiment that runs deeply through several other RPGs. It had some well-observed points to make regarding the futility of extremism and endless conflict over power that can be used for good and ill, and I found the final sentiments of even the wisest, most learned NPCs taking centuries to settle on even a ghost of a plan that might grant a future for some of the worlds was well told.

I didn't bother doing any of the repeated side quest boss battles in chapters 5-8 after the first few revealed what was going on. I turned off random encounters and stormed through the temples, grinding through the crystal bosses several times in under a couple of hours. What I did do was stop and enjoy the Vampire castle and the final dungeon for all they were worth, levelling up my characters and jobs on the fresh content available. Also, sitting down with Ringabel's journal and a cup of tea after chapter five makes a lot more sense, even more so towards the end.

All in all, I really enjoyed it, but found the story cut scenes a bit confusing (particularly regarding exactly which world's Ringabel and co were still alive at the end, and which world they ended up in). To be fair, this is nothing new to me after several of the more bonkers final fantasy games, but I thought it could have been explained more clearly. I thought they could have had more environmental changes in each new world, rather than have each parallel dimension as exactly the same apart from an NPC piece of dialogue or two. I thought that the summons being demonic technology from our world was really interesting, and something I would have liked to see expanded on, as well as the link between the player, Airy's sister and Tiz.

All in all it has flaws, it isn't the saviour of the handheld JRPG that it was hyped to be. But, for me, it really shows a future for a new JRPG IP, updating the classic formula with enough new ideas and concessions (managing encounters!) to bring it up to date in a way that doesn't just throw what made the original ff games good out of the window. I found the characters adorable and loved following a party of heroic adventurers rather than a group of j-pop stars again. I can't wait for a sequel, hopefully they'll take any criticism on board, but if this is what portable FF is going to look like, I'm all for it.

If anyone doesn't want to be spoiled but is starting to struggle, stick with it. The final battle is awesome and absolutely worth getting to.

FryHole

I finished Bravely Default a good four weeks back, and, after a bit of time to ruminate on it, here's my opinion on the second half. Spoilers, obv.

This is the curse of
chapter 5 - it puts people off and they miss the joy of chapter 7's rejigged battles and girl power motivations. I agree it all could have been handled much better and the lack of new or modified environments was a shame.

As long as you don't have any expectations from the story and are willing to put up with recycled content, it's still worth playing. It's just disappointing that the game isn't better than it is.

Top Bottom