• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Just a heads up, this spot isn't amazing until Chapter 5 when a specific enemy appears that drops 999JP when you fight a group of them and get the unscathed bonus (with the growth egg on). There isn't really a defacto spot for Chapter 4 though so you can give it a try. I personally grinded in the dungeon you already completed right outside a certain room where you can get a free refresh. Regardless, definitely use this spot Fryhole mentions for Chapter 5 on and thanks Fryhole, I believe you were the one that tipped me onto it on the other thread as well.

Which spot are you referring to?

Which spot are you referring to?

In the main enemy base where you got the Templar job from, you can go in Edea's room and sleep in her bed as much as you want so I just fought right outside her room and then occasionally went to the save point right before where you fight the Templar.

In the main enemy base where you got the Templar job from, you can go in Edea's room and sleep in her bed as much as you want so I just fought right outside her room and then occasionally went to the save point right before where you fight the Templar.

Ah, i havent even gotten there yet. I'll keep it in mind!

FryHole

Just a heads up, this spot isn't amazing until Chapter 5 when a specific enemy appears that drops 999JP when you fight a group of them and get the unscathed bonus (with the growth egg on). There isn't really a defacto spot for Chapter 4 though so you can give it a try. I personally grinded in the dungeon you already completed right outside a certain room where you can get a free refresh. Regardless, definitely use this spot Fryhole mentions for Chapter 5 on and thanks Fryhole, I believe you were the one that tipped me onto it on the other thread as well.

No worries, thanks for preventing me sending him off on a wild goose chase, never realised that enemy didn't spawn there til chapter 5!

I dont understand how people can finish this game so quickly, haha.

Im over 40 hours and Ive just started chapter 4. I havent stopped to grind for hours, Ive even turned off encounters just to get to the end of dungeons when I get low on mana. Ive killed lots of enemies, but Ive basically just been moving from mission to mission, and making sure to do all the sub quests to get all the jobs, but thats it.

Ah, i havent even gotten there yet. I'll keep it in mind!
:0 I'm so sorry, I mistook you for the guy that just got that job and wanted to know where to grind in that chapter. Thank god I didn't use any names haha I only masked my post because some people don't like to have jobs spoiled for them so I'm sorry if you're one of those people!

Im over 40 hours and Ive just started chapter 4. I havent stopped to grind for hours, Ive even turned off encounters just to get to the end of dungeons when I get low on mana. Ive killed lots of enemies, but Ive basically just been moving from mission to mission, and making sure to do all the sub quests to get all the jobs, but thats it.

Maybe the hours spent grinding off set everything else since I curb stomped all the bosses? I maxed out the character levels in Chapter 4 and the jobs in Chapter 5 so at that point, I had no reason to fight anymore regular battles so I just had zero encounter rate for the final chapters and only fought bosses from side quests and the main story, of course.

I'm not sure what you've been doing because I finished the game in 44 hours with max levels and max jobs and only skipped the sidequests in chapters 6 and 8.

:0 I'm so sorry, I mistook you for the guy that just got that job and wanted to know where to grind in that chapter. Thank god I didn't use any names haha I only masked my post because some people don't like to have jobs spoiled for them so I'm sorry if you're one of those people!

Maybe the hours spent grinding off set everything else since I curb stomped all the bosses? I maxed out the character levels in Chapter 4 and the jobs in Chapter 5 so at that point, I had no reason to fight anymore regular battles so I just had zero encounter rate for the final chapters and only fought bosses from side quests and the main story, of course.

Jesus, haha. Maybe.

Whats the max on characters? Jobs are 14 right? Im sitting at 46 on all my dudes, and level 9 on their jobs that fit their roles (I made Tiz and Edea 'fighters' and Agnes and Ringabel 'casters/healers')

I'm not sure what you've been doing because I finished the game in 44 hours with max levels and max jobs and only skipped the sidequests in chapters 6 and 8.

Yeah I dont know, I thought I was just kinda movin along at a normal pace. Im not rushing anything, just going in fightin stuff and getting out. The only thing I do that adds some time, is I will do maybe 10 extra mintues of battles to make sure I have my specials ready to go for bosses, but even with the large amount of bosses there is in the game, it hasnt added that much more time to everything. a couple hours total, max.

No, I didn't skip that one. And by Chapter 8 i didn't really care anymore, I just wanted to finish it.

should've skipped everything else in chapter 5 and done the chapter 8 battles, there's not even nearly as many
6 in the overworld then 6 more in the Eternian Central Command after you finish those

Jesus, haha. Maybe.

Whats the max on characters? Jobs are 14 right? Im sitting at 46 on all my dudes, and level 9 on their jobs that fit their roles (I made Tiz and Edea 'fighters' and Agnes and Ringabel 'casters/healers')

99 and yes for jobs, it's 14. You need to unlock the Growth Egg from Norende village that gives double XP and JP for the whole party then you will level up like crazy with grinding. There's one regular enemy encounter in the game where you get 999 JP points with the growth egg on and the unscathed bonus.

should've skipped everything else in chapter 5 and done the chapter 8 battles, there's not even nearly as many
6 in the overworld then 6 more in the Eternian Central Command after you finish those

In chapter 5 I didn't know better yet. I'll probably go back and do those chapter 8 fights eventually though.

The chapter 8 fights (side quests) are completely and utterly pointless unless you just are looking for more difficult battles. I really thought I was going to get some sub plot by the end of them and was disappointed. Oh well, the OCD in me required me to get rid of all those blue side quest bubbles on my map anyway haha

Question about chapter 4 job quest:
can I still do the vampire sub quest after I go into the pillar of light?

you'll have to do it in chapter 5, but yes you still can

The chapter 8 fights (side quests) are completely and utterly pointless unless you just are looking for more difficult battles. I really thought I was going to get some sub plot by the end of them and was disappointed. Oh well, the OCD in me required me to get rid of all those blue side quest bubbles on my map anyway haha

blah the story by that point is already ruined to the point where there's no reason to try salvaging it
on the other hand there is some character development in those battles

As a man who loves RPGs (I'm replaying Persona 3 Portable right now)---is Bravely Default enough for me to a 3DS over? I'm thinking this, Zelda, Shin Megami IV...?

+Fire Emblem: Awakening

As a man who loves RPGs (I'm replaying Persona 3 Portable right now)---is Bravely Default enough for me to buy a 3DS over? I'm thinking this, Zelda, Shin Megami IV...?

you'll have to do it in chapter 5, but yes you still can

blah the story by that point is already ruined to the point where there's no reason to try salvaging it
on the other hand there is some character development in those battles

+Fire Emblem: Awakening

I had fun with the side quest story plots and
the templar
usually had interesting things to say that tied in with the main plot so I was hoping that'd be the case after fighting my way through all of them. I guess you run out of things to say after
doing the same shit several times straight
haha but oh well. I was also really disappointed that
Lester said the same thing the last half of the game every time you did his side quest. What's the point of making his castle a side quest in every chapter if there's absolutely no difference in dialog? One or two of them had another boss fight alongside him but was it worth having to travel 7 stories up with no new dialog for the paintings?

As a man who loves RPGs (I'm replaying Persona 3 Portable right now)---is Bravely Default enough for me to buy a 3DS over? I'm thinking this, Zelda, Shin Megami IV...?

If you love RPGs, there are a lot of good reasons for you to get a 3DS

Devil Survivor Overclocked
Etrian Odyssey IV
Soul Hackers
Project X Zone

Those four quickly jumped out at me aside from what you mentioned but I'm sure there's more

Absolutely. There are a ton of great rpgs on the 3ds and Ds if you skipped over that as well. You can add fire emblem, radiant historia, and the world ends with you to your list of games.

Bravely default is just the latest in a long list of good titles you can pick up for the system.

Animekatt

I say do it. Getting all of those that you mentioned, Fire Emblem, the Mario games (if you're into those) plus countless other games, you can't go wrong.

Chapter 4 Spoilers:
I'm at the boss fight with the Dark Knight. I like you Alternis, but why do you keep talking and interrupting the flow of the battle? It's a shame Edea doesn't love you, but I have 1000% crit attack from her special that I need to use before the music runs out. Also, quit attacking Ninja Tiz; you'll only be counter attacked with Transience every time!

Second half is definitely a drag, but if you keep an open mind, you can still enjoy it. The first chapter of the second half is definitely a bummer, but it starts picking up again (mainly if you love challenging battles).

Would definitely recommend the game despite the weaker second half.

Also, on the subject of Poison... Is one of the Nemeses (
Asmodeus
) meant to take full poison damage on purpose? Is that how you could beat it in 4 Heroes of Light?

As long as you don't have any expectations from the story and are willing to put up with recycled content, it's still worth playing. It's just disappointing that the game isn't better than it is.

Thanks for the replies! If I manage to find a (not excessively expensive) retail copy I'll take the plunge.

Wilsongt

Yes. This, Fire Emblem, SMT IV, Rune Factory, Harvest Moon: New Beginnings, Kid Icarus, Etrian Odyssey IV and EO1 remake...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Has anyone beaten the game without cheesing it by grinding to max money, jp, exp in specific spots? I'm reading that a lot of people find spots in Ch. 4 and 5 to max out and then roll through the rest of the game with no encounters.

What has been someone's experience with playing the game without taking time to find out specific spots to max out and become over powered for late game stuff? Can you reload the game after beating the final boss for beating optional bosses, or should that all be done before that?

99 and yes for jobs, it's 14. You need to unlock the Growth Egg from Norende village that gives double XP and JP for the whole party then you will level up like crazy with grinding. There's one regular enemy encounter in the game where you get 999 JP points with the growth egg on and the unscathed bonus.

99! sheeeeit ~Clay Davis

I would have to grind a bunch to get the Eggs first, before grinding to get the levels, haha.

How doth I unlock this Egg??

I've just unlocked the thief and merchant jobs, I've kind of played on and off so I haven't been paying much attention to jobs and stuff should I be concentrating on one job or be using secondary jobs too?

These are the kind of things I usually ignore until much later when I find out it would've been better to start thinking about them earlier! :)

Just to make sure, Ninja gets Dual Wield by just being that job right? Like I leveled it up to 11 and I got that support ability now, but it won't let me equip it on him as a Ninja. Is that because it's their "Specialty"?

KarmaCow

I've just unlocked the thief and merchant jobs, I've kind of played on and off so I haven't been paying much attention to jobs and stuff should I be concentrating on one job or be using secondary jobs too?

These are the kind of things I usually ignore until much later when I find out it would've been better to start thinking about them earlier! :)

It depends on the skills of course but you should probably be spreading it around. Utility > pure stats. What I did was devote one person to a new job when I got them just to see what they had and if the job had anything good I moved people to it. It makes more sense to spend 20 battles levelling 3 jobs rather than 1 one job for a skill you might not want. There is also a significant JP requirement from 9 to 10 in every job (800 to 3500 JP), so you're better off waiting till later when battles give more JP to get past that hump.

It depends on the skills of course but you should probably be spreading it around. Utility > pure stats. What I did was devote one person to a new job when I got them just to see what they had and if the job had anything good I moved people to it. It makes more sense to spend 20 battles levelling 3 jobs rather than 1 one job for a skill you might not want. There is also a significant JP requirement from 9 to 10 in every job (800 to 3500 JP), so you're better off waiting till later when battles give more JP to get past that hump.
Okay thanks think I got it. I've grinded a bit lvl21~ just leaving the Wind town, but it is pretty slow to grind job levels.

KarmaCow

Late Chapter 4 Spoilers

Is there anything missable in the game
or exclusive to new game+? I just got the Vampire Job, (thanks for the suggestion of Sleep -> Twilight for the random mobs by the way) and it looks like it's basically the Blue Mage of the group. Going into the light pillar seems to be a point of no return but I've picked up on the boss rush-esque later chapters so I'm unsure if I should try to fill out the compendium with skills/items/mobs now.

demidar

I used to think Dark Knight sucked ass, but after I sussed out a couple of mechanical interactions he is now my main DPS. Dark Knight is incredible.

You know what else is incredible? Healing Lore + Holy One. 3000 party Cures, 2500 Raises. Utterly absurd, I love this game so much.

I used to think Dark Knight sucked ass, but after I sussed out a couple of mechanical interactions he is now my main DPS. Dark Knight is incredible.

You know what else is incredible? Healing Lore + Holy One. 3000 party Cures, 2500 Raises. Utterly absurd, I love this game so much.

Can you send a Dark Nebula attack?
Would be great to troll someone by sending it to them

I hear Low Leverage makes Rage totally broken. As if Dark Nebula wasn't bad enough : P

Can you send a Dark Nebula attack?
Would be great to troll someone by sending it to them

Yup. If I was a troll, I'd change my game text to Japanese before sending it.

rugioh

Banned
I hear Low Leverage makes Rage totally broken. As if Dark Nebula wasn't bad enough : P

Yup. If I was a troll, I'd change my game text to Japanese before sending it.

I'm having a hard time understanding why Low Leverage is so good. Doesn't it halve your damage as well as the enemies?

Top Bottom