• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

What do you guys equip in your mages hands? Two rods/staves? A rod/staff and shield?

My healer has the staff with free resi and the holy shield. So as a spiritmaster with white mage and salve maker health boost support, she can heal everybody full health no problem with one holy shield cura.

Protag

Banned
That's the two-headed boss, right? Have a character use the fire and ice elemental items you get from Norende. I only used ones that I recieved for free as gifts. Although the items hit both heads, neither head will be healed by their own element - they will just be immune to it. So spam fire items, for instance, until the ice head is dead and take care of the fire head in whatever way you want.

Oh no, i was, but he was just over powering me when i defaulted

Is this going to be one of those games that get's stupid expensive the longer I wait to get it?

Unlike the Wii titles that required a movement to get brought into the west, bravely default was brought here with no issues and is selling decently. So no, copies should still be made, it'll just be hard to find anywhere but the eshop.

Which is another answer to yours question.

ohlawd

It's for when you use Ranger =P

Also, Bravo Bikini.
Yup.

Kinda sucks we aren't allowed to wear class X's outfit while using class Y. Would like my Agnes in Spell Fencer outfit but keep her as a Spiritmaster.

Oh well, she looks just as delicious in her Vestal Garb.

Yup.

Kinda sucks we aren't allowed to wear class X's outfit while using class Y. Would like my Agnes in Spell Fencer outfit but keep her as a Spiritmaster.

Oh well, she looks just as delicious in her Vestal Garb.

image.php

Mugaaz

I was having fun, but I really don't feel like unlocking the crystals 16 more times to advance the story. What a disappointment.

ohlawd

Then she has the same number of costumes as anyone. And more than Tiz and Ringabel.
The best female in the game obviously deserves more than three non-job costumes.

It wouldn't have killed the devs to have added a cheerleader outfit, nurse, police woman, dominatrix...

Ryne

I think I like the
Templar
, but I definitely need to up the damage output of my characters.

What is the best place to powerlevel in
chapter 4
? Need to grind out some levels with the white mage.

RDreamer

Just got the pirate job and a wicked axe. Despite having a metric ton of physical attack on that character now, he doesn't seem to do all that much damage actually.

Arc07

Chapter 8 Question.

I'm ready for the pillar of light & I've done all the blue question mark battles except the Eternian Central Command battles. If I go to the pillar, will these fights still be available? I don't feel like doing them now and I just want to beat the game.

Chapter 8 Question.

I'm ready for the pillar of light & I've done all the blue question mark battles except the Eternian Central Command battles. If I go to the pillar, will these fights still be available? I don't feel like doing them now and I just want to beat the game.
You can't go back, but you can do them after you beat the game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished the game tonight. Thought it was fantastic overall, but it fell short of matching Square's greats from the PS1 era. I think the biggest issue for me was that there really wasn't a sense of place in BD. The world is basically just a basic RPG fantasy world, and while that's not necessarily damning on its own, the areas just felt uninspired. Especially the dungeons. I look at a game like FFVIII, and the dungeons looked like this:

289437-ff8_108.jpg
289445-ff8_116.jpg
262764-screenshot_008.jpg

Not this:

jpz8vBj.jpg
dungeon_1.jpg
bravely-default-screen-two.jpg

There was variety, there was distinctive music, there was unique artwork. That's what I wanted. Bravely Default, on the other hand, just took a basic tileset, hit CTRL-V a bunch of times, and then used one of the three dungeon themes for the entire game. That really reduced the fun of reaching a new area, because you knew that you weren't going to see or hear anything new.

The towns didn't do a great job of making the world more memorable, either. While the artwork was great, they were small and lifeless. Again, there wasn't much of a thrill to progressing as a result. I'm guessing that these qualms are more the result of budget issues than anything. Hopefully, BD has done well enough that Square will kick Silicon Studios a few more yen For the Sequel.

The storyline was alright. I thought the game was largely propped up by the main characters' banter throughout the game and, unlike some, I was fine with Anges. A bit of a dope, but not terribly offensive. Maybe it's the thighs. Anyway, I remembered hearing that the writer for BD was the same guy behind Steins;Gate, and while some of the resemblances were obvious, the story here fell a little more flat than I'd hoped. More dialogue characters outside of the main cast could've made the plot feel a little more urgent, but I like my games a little talkier, so what do I know?

So yeah, there were some issues, but I still loved the game. The battle system was fantastic. It was super addictive, there was a ton of depth, and aside from the occasionally ludicrous difficulty spike, it was a really satisfying challenge. I'm not sure I've ever maxed out my characters' levels in an RPG before, but I did here because the combat was so good that I simply didn't want to stop.

Doing that, and pretty much all of the sidequests (except for any of the social stuff, which I had no interest in whatsoever), I ended at about
hours. I really took my time and savored the game, and I'm glad that I did. This was a fantastic start to what I hope becomes a truly incredible series.

I just want to note how hilarious it is fighting some of the final bosses when all your chars can use dark knight's magic absorb to literally ignore ALL of their attacks (Which should be combined with hasten world so you can still attack of course)

Fucking lolololol, I was having trouble with that ridiculous
sage/salve-maker /summoner/black mage fight
in chapter 8 so I looked up how to beat them. If you use
max attack dark knights + spiritmaster to cast adaptation you can spam dark nebula immediately for 120k damage at the beginning of the fight.
I then proceeded to wipe the other boss groups immediately.

Also, seeing that the Steins;Gate writer work on this is a little disappointing seeing as how the story ended up as it did. He played it too safe with Tiz and Agnes and clearly had trouble adapting a
parallel worlds/timelines story on a world-scale compared to some crappy little apartment in Japan.

Also everyone should watch Steins;Gate.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Egil worst side story ever. Nobody gives a single fuck about some stupid kid with no personality that
chief dumbass and resident nancy boy Tiz took a liking to because he isn't over his PTSD.

Started skipping scenes and things started getting a lot better. Everything in the story falls flatter and flatter the harder it tries. I feel like I've been dicking around in this chapter too long and I realize it's because when all the main quests and side quests suck I go looking for some other content that doesn't. I should have just been blazing through so I get to the late-game battles since that is the good part
(along with the bosses, who are fun personalities despite having no depth)

The game really should have just gone full Naruto and been more wacky battle-of-the-day shit since that is obviously how it was designed and where all the quality went. Then again, it may have failed at that since some things that were obviously meant to be very amusing
(Pirate Ship)
were actually boring/lacking charisma/charm/memorability. As it is, I wasted too much time around here and I think I'm going to set it down for who knows how long and play games with more pizazz.

This game is like a really delicious cookie with a thick layer of butter spread on top. You can almost understand what the creator had in mind, but in practice you're just like "omg why you had such a good foundation why is all this shit in my mouth with the cookie"

Just beat chapter 8.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN? god dammit

Anustart

Am I missing a job in chapter 3? I have a ???? right below
Blademaser, already got pirate, salve maker and performer in this chapter as well.

Guys, can someone tell me real quick what
levels Edea and Ringabel are at when they join your party
? It's been a bit and I forgot. I need the info for reasons. Prologue spoilers I guess? Dunno what the protocol is on that.

Reaches Chapter 5

BWo6UZ2.gif

X9E3KWn.gif

Guess it's time to take a break from the game. Or I'll end up hating it more than I do now. Though I appreciated the 'reveal' in chapter 4's conclusion. Anybody has any recommendations on
Dark knight
combo? I don't want to have to train another spirit master, so would using vampire skills work just as well?

? It's been a bit and I forgot. I need the info for reasons. Prologue spoilers I guess? Dunno what the protocol is on that.

Ringabel joins level 5, edea joins level 6. So try to reach each point where they join at their appropriate level

zashga

Slowly working my way through the game... still in chapter 2. It's really great! Tremendous improvement over Four Heroes of Light, which didn't really live up to its potential. The soundtrack and art are great, the settings and dungeons are classic RPG fare, and the combat system is a lot of fun.

I'm also loving the job system; it's nice how you get asterisks in ones and twos rather than getting them in bulk a la FF5. I also like how there are more job levels and support abilities to play with, even early on.
Spell fencer with two-handed
is making quick work of bosses with an elemental weakness in my game.

Xerotwo

Oh Amazon :(

You might wanna contact Amazon about that. Several people in this thread had the same unfortunate damages you have.

I'm not sure if they would be able to replace the box, but I think they would help repay you in Amazon credits or something like that.

Ringabel-level 5, Edea-level 6

Final Chapter

You knew about this the whole time you fucking idiots. The sage told you. Don't act surprised.

the second half of the game is so mailed in

Danny Dudekisser

I really want to know what happened. Did they just run out of budget and have to ship the game, so they
patched together what they could and recycled assets?
This couldn't have been the plan right?

I think the idea was planned from the start, given the Steins;Gate guy's involvement. If you've played that game/watched that anime, the similarity between that and BD is obvious. But I think the game really was hurting for a bigger budget. The plan was probably to have you fight more significantly different variants of the crystal guardians, and probably to have more things change in the actual game world. But yeah, everything, from the copy-pasted dungeons to the minuscule soundtrack smacks of "management wouldn't give us any moneys :("

That's my guess, at least. It didn't really bother me that much, but it could have been handled better.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
To balance things out.. [Chapter 5+]
I'm having no problems with the characters/story from Chapter 5+. =P
Then again, I didn't have any problems with the characters in the first place. I find them quirky and enjoyable. =D

spiritfox

All the reused assets, samey dungeons, limited music, and the whole second half of the game does feel like they don't have the budget to match their vision. Hopefully the success of this game means more money for Bravely Second.

Danny Dudekisser

They spent all the budget on the 500 part quest where you try to find somebody a nice place to live.

"Hey, innkeep! Do you want to take care of this useless boy for me? I'd do it myself, but I've been so busy running errands for that shitty commander and even worse husband out West that I can't find the time. He wants to be a child soldier, and we're all kind of okay with that. We learned nothing from Darfur."

Loco4Coco

I was breezing through the first 3 chapters no problem (not even over leveled) Then I get to the fields in chapter 4 and got jolly stomped by 6 plant things.

frogg609

So I just fought the Jackal and
the hired gun he had with him wound up leaving during the fight, and I didn't beat him. Did I screw up, or does that happen to everyone?

I'm curious though, what happens if you one-shot Khint, does it just default (haha get it) to him leaving anyway (kinda like Victor/Victoria in chapter 2)

Top Bottom