• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

I think I'm starting to get bored with the game in chapter 5. From what I read (spoilers for future chapters kinda)
the next two chapters are very similar as well.
It just seems kind of lazy to me to do something like that, even if there are storyline reasons for it. My backlog is starting to pile up and I'm thinking of just switching to easy mode and stearmolling through the rest of the game. I've done every sidequest so far and like the game as a whole, but it feels over-long. I had the same experience with the latest Mario & Luigi as well.

Actually Imma do the same and switched to easy. The boss I was fighting. A certain boss with the ability to do two powerful area attacks that could kill half my party before I got a chance to heal, was beaten on the first try in easy. I don't want to be punished for not choosing specific items or having the right combination of breaking the game job classes.

I just want to get this over now. Good job game. It's like I was enjoying the blind date my friends set up for me, until she pulled down her pants and threw feces at my face. Now I want to get it done with and move on with my gaming life.

I'll look forward to your second title, but jesus dont do this again.

Wow, ch 5 is kicking my ass..........the difficulty seems to have tripled :|

And a lot of other people are at the throwing 3ds at the wall stage?

Guess I have to do some more grinding

Jintor

I'm irritated that I have to basically save and reload if I come across a boss with unexpected strats. i forgot that water crystal asshole just drops charm on everyone, all the time. If you rebuff up you can wipe the floor with him, and if you don't, he basically just grinds the shit out of you until you make a mistake.

also it is COMPLETE bullshit that enemies can target your party members when you've only just revived them in the same turn. I don't mean with area affect attacks, I mean they can actually single-target them the same turn. Fuck that shit.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I have every job up until that point not including the jobs I mentioned leveled up to 7~11. Of course, these jobs are spread out among my party. How do I protect myself against the breaths? I tried using the element charm accessories, but the debuff seems to override it.

If you don't want to Ninja cheese, I think the best option is to level up your Spiritmaster to lvl 13 for the Enigma ability. (?)

That's how I'm thinking going about it (Skipped it for now, went to the Earth Temple).

Or just custom setup your team for each encounter with equipment/abilities that counter the elements for each dragon.

demidar

I'm irritated that I have to basically save and reload if I come across a boss with unexpected strats. i forgot that water crystal asshole just drops charm on everyone, all the time. If you rebuff up you can wipe the floor with him, and if you don't, he basically just grinds the shit out of you until you make a mistake.

also it is COMPLETE bullshit that enemies can target your party members when you've only just revived them in the same turn. I don't mean with area affect attacks, I mean they can actually single-target them the same turn. Fuck that shit.

The amount of times my Spiritmaster has saved me is too much to count. Status ailments are no joke.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm thinking this game has surpassed MGS2 for biggest dropoff from initial greatness as you play through it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No waaaaaaay, the drop off in MGS2 is in 2 hours max, BD takes more like 20+ hours.
While that is where an extremely dramatic dropoff happens, and Bravely Default has a much smoother decline, I did think MGS2 only kept on dropping as you played because
a) You realize more and more that the game is intentionally being a shitty ripoff version of MGS b) The complex is boring as fuck and only gets more boring the longer you have to suffer it c) The story/dialogue gets more and more fucked up and also cheesy in lame ways.
So you can see why the comparison came to mind, also since the basic gameplay elements are quite good in both games.

demidar

While that is where an extremely dramatic dropoff happens, and Bravely Default has a much smoother decline, I did think MGS2 only kept on dropping as you played because
a) You realize more and more that the game is intentionally being a shitty ripoff version of MGS b) The complex is boring as fuck and only gets more boring the longer you have to suffer it c) The story/dialogue gets more and more fucked up and also cheesy in lame ways.
So you can see why the comparison came to mind, also since the basic gameplay elements are quite good in both games.

But I need scissors, 61!

MGS2 at least felt like a complete implementation of a crazy plan, BD just feels like they said "fuck, we're out of money, how can we ship this?"

Soriku

Started the game yesterday and I'm before Ancheim. On Hard mode which is pretty manageable so far. So far so good. Battle system and music is awesome as expected but I'm also liking the story set up thus far and the characters.

The dialogue and such is pretty typical for a JRPG so far but still enjoyable, and I definitely expect the story to get wacky later on since Steins;Gate writer.

Voice acting is pretty solid. Agnes' voice is just OK but everyone else's is good.

The dungeons, while mostly basic, are also inoffensive.

duckroll

Still in chapter 4. Still killing boring dragons. Edea mastered Valkyrie, so I switched her around to some other jobs and settled on Swordmaster for a while. Tiz learned Axe Lore and I switched him to a Ninja. The game feels broken now. 1x Nothing Ventured, 3x Utsusemi = ????????

Lol.

Still in chapter 4. Still killing boring dragons. Edea mastered Valkyrie, so I switched her around to some other jobs and settled on Swordmaster for a while. Tiz learned Axe Lore and I switched him to a Ninja. The game feels broken now. 1x Nothing Ventured, 3x Utsusemi = ????????

Lol.

Not yet. You'll have to wait latter ot see the game being broken.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Lol.

I think there are several broken ability combos tbh. But that's probably hard to avoid with such a flexible battle system. :p

magnetic

Actually Imma do the same and switched to easy. The boss I was fighting. A certain boss with the ability to do two powerful area attacks that could kill half my party before I got a chance to heal, was beaten on the first try in easy. I don't want to be punished for not choosing specific items or having the right combination of breaking the game job classes.

I just want to get this over now. Good job game. It's like I was enjoying the blind date my friends set up for me, until she pulled down her pants and threw feces at my face. Now I want to get it done with and move on with my gaming life.

I'll look forward to your second title, but jesus dont do this again.

The problem with Bravely Default is that it got hyped up to be the big rebirth of golden era 90s-style jRPGs, a promise it could never live up to, most likely due to budget constraints.

It felt fantastic in the first few hours for me. My excitement started dropping off slightly when I started noticing that the dungeons and caves all were very cookie-cutter hallways with very little actual design to them. Then I slowly realized that the overworld was pretty small and barren. Then the same few enemies started repeating with palette swaps. Then the story itself started getting really old. It would have been a much better game if they just kept is short and sweet with the assets they had, but instead they inflated it.

I´ve read somewhere that a majority of the japanese players of the original version (the one where you can´t turn off random battles) didn´t finish it. It´s easy to see why, especially without any ability to rush through the later parts - turning off random battles was a huge convience for me personally.

There are a ton of things I loved about BD, first and foremost the brilliant battle and job system. The characters are so charmingly animated and their costumes look so adorable that I would kill for getting a full figure set of each character in each job outfit (and I don´t even have any other figures). The towns are pure eye candy.

But man, it doesn´t even nearly come close to the depth and scope of something like Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest V. I lost all my motivation around halfway through the game and ended up just selling it. I´m very optimistic that Bravely Second will be a much better game in all respects, if Square gives them the proper budget (and I hope they will - seems like BD was a success).

Lombax

Banned
Are you doing a battle and putting "summon friend" then "send" with a new attack?

Also are you updating your data? You do it right under "Save" in the save menu

What he said.

The power is based off what action (or attack) you send. During a battle pick "Summon Friend" and then "Send." Now choose whatever action it is you want to be sent to your friends. This will update the character, power, equipment and action on that profile to whoever you send it as, whatever it dealt, and whatever they currently have equipped.

As for changing the little message, I think that's hiding under the Config menu somewhere.

Thank you both for the information. I have been updating my data, just not sending attacks.

Thanks again.

Shito

So, my gf bought the game a few days ago (been playing it ever since the PAL release, but she didn't want to borrow my card), and I think she really digs it...

TdyDx2k.jpg

duckroll

After killing two of the six dragons with my white mage dying over and over again I'm ready to cheese the rest.

What possible advantage is there to keeping a white mage at this point in the game? Legit question, in case there's some strategy I've overlooked. It just seems to me that it would make more sense to get the healer you want to a high enough job level as a white mage and then bail for better jobs while retaining white magic as the secondary job command.

Anustart

What possible advantage is there to keeping a white mage at this point in the game? Legit question, in case there's some strategy I've overlooked. It just seems to me that it would make more sense to get the healer you want to a high enough job level as a white mage and then bail for better jobs while retaining white magic as the secondary job command.

I don't use a white mage, but healing power seems to suck ass if you're not a white mage / the other class that is similar.

The base class is useless, the only reason to use it is to level it.

FryHole

I got to Chapter 5.

What's up with all the side quests and stuff to do in the map, am I supposed to do everything?

You don't have to, and I'd advise you don't do them all to avoid burn out. Do a few though of the early ones, as you get some minor story and character development as your characters essentially go "huh?"

I am in Chapter 3 with Agnes as a Redmage with all MND gear (stats really matter in this game. The spell scaling is massive)

But I just have her constantly use the free Sage Rod Raise and Blessing Shield heals.

The hard part about having an effective healer is that spells are so stat dependent that its really hard to make them effective at anything else. Ill have to play around with equipment more but I may give her a Katana and have her spam Specials/Blessing shield.

Still figuring things out

Fandangox

There is none really, some classes are just good to master, and then leave as sub jobs for better classes, like Performer. White Magic goes extremely well with
Spiritmaster, it gains an ability that lowers attack, but raises healing magic, and also its innate ability lowers the cost of magic by 25%

Anustart

Wtf with chapter 5 random encounters. There's one near florem where a bird one shots my entire party with 1 attack ;/

And everywhere the random encounters are akin to miniboss fights.

Edit: And how do you do this big pharma trick? I thought big pharma healed the enemy to full? But when I use it, it kills the enemy. Just killed a kobold archer with Big Pharma.

Edit: May have been a counter attack that killed him, but..... I used big pharma in a battle like 4 times and got the same amount of pg that I do for a normal fight? Or does big pharma just add into my pile and not get reported?

Final Edit: Jesus christ, is there an enemy in the first area OTHER than the stupid kobolds? Outside? Kobold. First cave? Same. Last building? Same. Need to find an enemy that only physically attacks or something weakly so I can try this big pharma. Stupid kobolds can silence, steal bp and paralyze which makes them worthless.

Fandangox

So, without spoilers, around when do you guys feel like the game declines, and why? I'm approaching Chapter 3 soon.

Depends from your point of view.

Many felt it starts from Chapter 3 due to a certain quest that drags on.

Others felt Chapter 5 and on, but can't really say why without spoiling some of the plot. From my point of view I can understand what they were going for there, but the execution was very poor. The writing also makes the way the characters react about the whole thing kind of baffling.

Depends from your point of view.

Many felt it starts from Chapter 3 due to a certain quest that drags on.

Others felt Chapter 5 and on, but can't really say why without spoiling some of the plot. From my point of view I can understand what they were going for there, but the execution was very poor. The writing also makes the way the characters react about the whole thing kind of baffling.

So it sounds like a story issue. Does the gameplay and the mechanics wear thing around then? I'm having a blast with it, I don't want it to run dry. :(

It's not just a story issue, but a content one. Let's just say that they do more than a bit of recycling.

I used to argue that no matter how bad it got the game play would still be fun. But after reaching chapter 5, and more importantly chapter 6
Orthros, wind temple boss
started doing WAY too much damage and did the double area spam every turn before I got a chance to do anything. And my spirimaster/white mage got killed way too many times since she HAD to heal every turn or the other guys would die on the next seeing how the enemy always attacked first.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game started to punish me for not carrying very specific items when it was never that big of an issue, so even the combat was a drag. I wasn't under leveled either. Then I switched to easy and the difference in total damage dealt by baddies is fucking ridiculous. They were barely touching me. This game just took a dive for the worst and it's a shame since the first half itself held more than enough on its own as a competent modern jrpg with old school throwbacks. Needless to say Fire Emblem Awakening is still my favorite 3ds jrpg.

Meier

So.. the Nemesis' are kicking my ass. BIG TIME. What's the secret with these things? I went in at level 13 or something and got stomped on a level 20 mob and that made sense, but I came back at level 28 and had no better luck with one of the same level (not sure if it was the same guy or not, I forget). Any suggestions?

I just unlocked the Valkyrie class which is pretty nice.

Jawmuncher

Oh man this game is just too good.
I got it 2 days ago and went "I'll just start it up and play a little bit to see how it is"....Now I can't put it down. Also Edea is by far my favorite chracter absolutely love hearing her say mgrgr. But on the other end Agnes needs to stop being annoying.

rugioh

Banned
I used to argue that no matter how bad it got the game play would still be fun. But after reaching chapter 5, and more importantly chapter 6
Orthros, wind temple boss
started doing WAY too much damage and did the double area spam every turn before I got a chance to do anything. And my spirimaster/white mage got killed way too many times since she HAD to heal every turn or the other guys would die on the next seeing how the enemy always attacked first.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game started to punish me for not carrying very specific items when it was never that big of an issue, so even the combat was a drag. I wasn't under leveled either. Then I switched to easy and the difference in total damage dealt by baddies is fucking ridiculous. They were barely touching me. This game just took a dive for the worst and it's a shame since the first half itself held more than enough on its own as a competent modern jrpg with old school throwbacks. Needless to say Fire Emblem Awakening is still my favorite 3ds jrpg.

Not to defend the game but I feel like the game gives you so many options to cheese that you basically have to use them to win later on. I'm using Hasten World/Stillness/Low Leverance/BP battery teams with impunity now just because I don't think its possible to win many boss fights in a traditional straight up way like earlier on.

Wazzy

Banned
So I finished the thief/merchant sidequest and now I'm trying to repair the
dress by searching for rainbow thread

I'm pretty addicted to this game. My only gripe is that I can't mute Agnes. She just needs to stop talking. Forever.

I'm having problems with those damn dragons. The breath one shots my people if they aren't Defaulting, and after he puts that debuff on you, it's game over. Equipping those charms does nothing to prevent death. Is the only way to beat them to either be main Ninja or sub Ninja? I guess that Spiritmaster ability could help, but I'd rather not level that up right now. I will if I must, though.

I think i'm approaching Chapter 4 and i'm worried
Got the huge ship to fly wherever i want to, going to eternia now
I've had a blast with the game but i really can see why people could be annoyed by it later (kind of predicting what could possibly happen).

Whatever, besides from
Starkfort
Does anyone know a good place to grind Job levels quickly?

rugioh

Banned
I'm having problems with those damn dragons. The breath one shots my people if they aren't Defaulting, and after he puts that debuff on you, it's game over. Equipping those charms does nothing to prevent death. Is the only way to beat them to either be main Ninja or sub Ninja? I guess that Spiritmaster ability could help, but I'd rather not level that up right now. I will if I must, though.

One guy Rampart, one guy Fairy Ward every turn, and have a Performer/Freelancer My Hero/Mimic x3. I find its too much work after 2 dragons and just Utsusemi cheesed the other 4.

Top Bottom