• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

END GAME SPOILER
I don't think the game bothered explaining how the heck Ringabel got to the first world, did it? It explained where he is from and who he failed to save, but not how he was transported to the world you begin the game in as far as I can remember.

Nope!
They don't even mention how he apparently traveled back in time to save them since they were already dead at the beginning of the game. They also don't seem to mention that the "parallel worlds" are apparently all running on different timelines since everything seems to restart whenever the main party gets there.

Good thing they made that Conjurer sidequest which explicitly pointed out how they can live in that world where all their loved ones are still alive and then the protagonists were all like "nah man fuck that we'll just go back to world one where my brother is dead, my only friend from childhood is dead, and my love interest has been replaced by some dude I have far less of a connection with but I'm going to fall in love and marry him anyway."

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nope!
They don't even mention how he apparently traveled back in time to save them since they were already dead at the beginning of the game. They also don't seem to mention that the "parallel worlds" are apparently all running on different timelines since everything seems to restart whenever the main party gets there.

Good thing they made that Conjurer sidequest which explicitly pointed out how they can live in that world where all their loved ones are still alive and then the protagonists were all like "nah man fuck that we'll just go back to world one where my brother is dead, my only friend from childhood is dead, and my love interest has been replaced by some dude I have far less of a connection with but I'm going to fall in love and marry him anyway."

Pretty sure Alternis jumped into the Holy Pillar or was thrown into it and somehow lost his memory. Likely from insanity or had a concussion

weevles

Two dragons down after using the Utsusemi cheese method, lol. It's kinda fun keeping that up on my characters - reminds me of the demo actually since that was often the most efficient way to fight the bosses.

Please enlighten me on Utsusemi cheese--the demo kicked my ass because I had no idea what I was doing at the time, and it wasn't really meant as a tutorial.

Anustart

You shouldn't be doing that in Chapter 5.
Go to Witherwood Interior with Growth Egg.

Well, only time I'd be using it is when I'm not playing, just to set up to gather cash while I'm doing other stuff. Otherwise, yeah I was just fighting battles normally.

Also, where's witherwood? I have a terrible memory when it comes to location names lol.

Decided to start this yesterday after seriously considering returning it unopened.

Very first thing the game does is tell me about it's IAP system. Then, in the beginning of the game, there's a tutorial for IAPs. Just... ugh.

Apart from that gripe and the knowledge that costumes were cut from this version (ugh)... it's been pretty enjoyable. Played through the demo and abused the glitch for 20 townsfolk to start so they're cleaning house while I'm at work.

I really love the art in the towns. Even the blobby character models look pretty nice in the skits and low-end cutscenes. Not expecting much from the plot, but really excited to get these jobs going.

Nope!

Yeah, that's what I thought. Not as bad as
the insane plot hole that is the Templar not properly explaining all he knew right off the bat. I desperately want to stop you from screwing over the world but instead of giving you the reason why which would have completely worked, I'm going to say we differ in opinions so I will kill you!
Pretty sure Alternis jumped into the Holy Pillar or was thrown into it and somehow lost his memory. Likely from insanity or had a concussion
I don't think so as
he was present for the fight with Airy where the others were all struck down in front of him. I don't think he could just get away from that fight and transport through the pillar. That said, it's the only remotely reasonable explanation so we'll just pretend he didn't make it to the fight in time and that's what happened so there's not another plot hole.

Please enlighten me on Utsusemi cheese--the demo kicked my ass because I had no idea what I was doing at the time, and it wasn't really meant as a tutorial.

Well basically Ninja has a fairly early ability called Utsusemi which blocks one attack. So what you do is either have everyone either be a Ninja or have Ninja as the subjob, and every turn, use Utsusemi. You're basically invincible and will never get hit unless the boss uses Brave a lot. Utsusemi stays up until that character gets hit, so if the boss doesn't target a character, you are free to store up BP and attack. The dragon sidequest seems impossible or at least very hard if you don't use Utsusemi, imo. Still fun, though.

---

I find the sidequest storylines far more interesting than the main story ones. Although, I guess they are related, but I feel like some of them seem fairly important to the overall storyline and world lore. For example, the (ch4 job)
Vampire sidequest
is filled with history about the world and various characters - it's really interesting. I really like
Lester as well

Utsusemi only works for physical attacks but otherwise what Soraan said is true. You either cast it and hope they don't target you so you're free to do whatever on the next turn, or you can brave with this move being one of your turns and then do whatever with the remaining actions you have via braving. If you're fighting against an enemy that only does physical attacks be it boss or trash mob, they can't touch you.

Utsusemi only works for physical attacks but otherwise what Soraan said is true. You either cast it and hope they don't target you so you're free to do whatever on the next turn, or you can brave with this move being one of your turns and then do whatever with the remaining actions you have via braving. If you're fighting against an enemy that only does physical attacks be it boss or trash mob, they can't touch you.

I thought maybe the physical attacks part was a mistake on the games part because you would think dragon's breath would be magical, but I guess it counts as physical, lol.

(major ending spoilers)
They should have just made the original world the "final" world before Airy's betrayal and then come up with a better reason for not telling the protagonists whats going on immediately (OR THE FACT THAT AIRY IS EVIL). You know, leave the kind of ambiguity of whether awakening the crystals was the right thing to do without making it incredibly obvious that you should stop (but then still doing it anyway). Which I guess means rewrite the entire plot of the game because it sucks.

Also get rid of Egil. Worse than Agnes.

I thought maybe the physical attacks part was a mistake on the games part because you would think dragon's breath would be magical, but I guess it counts as physical, lol.

Yep, against all rhyme or reason it's a physical attack and why I initially thought the move worked against magic haha

So just making sure. Chpt5

There isn't any point on doing the
SubBosses littered all across the map right?
I want to say Chapter 6 is the only one where you get some more side story or at least character development with them so you can focus on the primary story if you prefer for everything else post Chapter 4.
(major ending spoilers)
They should have just made the original world the "final" world before Airy's betrayal and then come up with a better reason for not telling the protagonists whats going on immediately (OR THE FACT THAT AIRY IS EVIL). You know, leave the kind of ambiguity of whether awakening the crystals was the right thing to do without making it incredibly obvious that you should stop (but then still doing it anyway). Which I guess means rewrite the entire plot of the game because it sucks.

Also get rid of Egil. Worse than Agnes.
It also slightly bothers me that no one questioned Airy's existence in the first place. I was suspicious of her as early as Chapter 2 because it was weird as hell that the Water Vestal didn't know what a cryst fairy was. Surely all Vestals would be aware of these fairies.

Wazzy

Banned
I think I will continue to check this thread solely for you and your reactions for the rest of your game :D

You best prepare yourself. The reactions will be strong throughout, especially chapter 3 from your warning.

All of which include shitting on Agnes.
V8qIjs4.png

You best prepare yourself. The reactions will be strong throughout, especially chapter 3 from your warning.

All of which include shitting on Agnes.
V8qIjs4.png

I kind of like the conflict between Agnes and Edea during Chapter 3 but I have a feeling there is not going to be a satisfying payoff to the build up based on what people are saying

Frolow

Banned
So what's up with the alternative Scenarios you can get with the Event Viewer? Is there anyway to get them all on the same playthrough or does this require
NG+
to view them all?

Chapter 5 spoilers:
for real? I hafta do the same 4 boss fights again? But random fights are owning my team? I was loving this game a lot, but now it's just a plain chore.

Lemme guess? Chapter 6-8 are the same thing?

Just beat the game. It was an ok ending.
Airy's fight
was much harder.

I guess they end the arc with the characters but they were super vague. Tiz falls asleep and wakes up at a future date. Ok, but what happened during those 6 months? All we know is where each of them went, then all of a sudden there's a party and tiz falls asleep. What was their reaction? How did they live? I don't like vague answers after all the bullshit I had to go through.

I look forward to the next game but so help me god if they pull crap like this again.

Chapter 5 spoilers:
for real? I hafta do the same 4 boss fights again? But random fights are owning my team? I was loving this game a lot, but now it's just a plain chore.

Lemme guess? Chapter 6-8 are the same thing?

yep

KarmaCow

Chapter 5 Spoilers:
What fights are actually worth doing again? I know the Red Mage fight gets you a costume but it seems like most of the fights don't even have anything interesting to steal. Khint had a Rune Blade on him, but that seems to be an exception.

Chapter 5 Spoilers:
What fights are actually worth doing again? I know the Red Mage fight gets you a costume but it seems like most of the fights don't even have anything interesting to steal. Khint had a Rune Blade on him, but that seems to be an exception.

Nothing much in Chapter 5, although the Iceflame Shield from Heinkel is nice.

You want to wait till Chapter
7 when you can steal Hermes Shoes from DeRosa and some decent items from other bosses.

Busaiku

So I decided to break a crystal to get the garb.
I turned off saving, so if I beat the game like this, will I start right back before I broke the crystal, or do I have to do the entire chapter 8 again?
Also, do I keep any items/abilities I gain in that time?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Chapter 6 spoiler:
I like how on the title screen "As the Fairy Flies" turns into "Airy lies"

Just beat the game. It was an ok ending.
Airy's fight
was much harder.

I guess they end the arc with the characters but they were super vague. Tiz falls asleep and wakes up at a future date. Ok, but what happened during those 6 months? All we know is where each of them went, then all of a sudden there's a party and tiz falls asleep. What was their reaction? How did they live? I don't like vague answers after all the bullshit I had to go through.

I look forward to the next game but so help me god if they pull crap like this again.

yep
Did you get the True Ending (fought Ouroboros?) As to your questions, It appeared that they all went back to how their lives were before the crisis besides a few political changes. Tiz living in the Candisle or whatever it's called area presumably in the rebuilt Norende and visiting Egil in the inn whenever he can, Agnes back to the Wind Temple living with the Wind Acolytes or whatever they're called, Edea back with her parents in Eternia but with Eternia no longer being aggressors, and Ringabel living with Edea and her family. They met up for that celebratory meal and I'm sure went right back to their lives afterwards living peacefully. Until whatever happens in Bravely Second, of course.
Chapter 5 Spoilers:
Besides that one, if you only care about added story and character development, you can just do all of them in Chapter 6 and ignore them in all the others. If you want challenge, Chapter 8 has the most challenging battles with those characters.

Did you get the True Ending (fought Ouroboros?) As to your questions, It appeared that they all went back to how their lives were before the crisis besides a few political changes. Tiz living in the Candisle or whatever it's called area presumably in the rebuilt Norende and visiting Egil in the inn whenever he can, Agnes back to the Wind Temple living with the Wind Acolytes or whatever they're called, Edea back with her parents in Eternia but with Eternia no longer being aggressors, and Ringabel living with Edea and her family. They met up for that celebratory meal and I'm sure went right back to their lives afterwards living peacefully. Until whatever happens in Bravely Second, of course.

Ringabel seems to have stayed in grandship. I saw a dark knight at the end when Edea meets up with her family, but that seems to have been the Alternis of this world.

I think 10 people have asked about side quests on Chapter 5 within these last two pages haha

Ringabel seems to have stayed in grandship. I saw a dark knight at the end when Edea meets up with her family, but that seems to have been the Alternis of this world.

It looked like he was carrying a rose on grandship so I thought perhaps he was going to present it to Edea but maybe it was something else and I don't know why he'd be there and not in Eternia so perhaps you're right.

I think 10 people have asked about side quests on Chapter 5 within these last two pages haha

It looked like he was carrying a rose on grandship so I thought perhaps he was going to present it to Edea but maybe it was something else and I don't know why he'd be there and not in Eternia so perhaps you're right.

they would have made it more clear. But then again I complained over the vagueness with the characters. There was barely any sense of closure. They just go back to their daily routines, which is a bit boring imho. I'm also disappointed they didn't flesh out the romance aspect considering nothing happened

(Chapter 4 sidequest) The boss of the
Vampire sidequest, Lester, was pretty hard. I tried doing it without Utsusemi cheesing, but it seems impossible. So after I switched to subjob Ninja on everyone, it wasn't that bad. I mean, still had to plan ahead and keep Utsusemi up which is fun, but I'm not sure how else you would do that encounter without Ninja. One of his attacks instant kills everyone for like 4000+ damage. Initially, I tried using Rampart to reduce the damage which helped, but that ability requires 2 BP to keep up, and there's no way to keep that up full time. Do a lot of the bosses in the end-game "require" Utsusemi?

I have a question about the true ending for those who have beaten the game. What's your reasoning behind:

Ringabel/Alternis? It first seemed like Ringabel stayed in Grandship, but then we see an Alternis. I originally thought it was the Alternis of this world, but he fell into the pillar of light and is presumed dead. At least in this world. So does that mean that Ringabel went to live with Edea and those people as the new Alternis (he wasnt in the celebration at the end), then somehow left this world to his original world before his friends were killed? I thought there was only one Airy and that dimensional travel was done now? Isn't this a big glaring issue if time travel is also a thing?

Does nobody from the gane's world give a fuck that Ringabel and Tiz are gone/dead/asleep? I saw the Bravely Second teaser and all, I'm thinking in the sense of what they saw

Vampire sidequest, Lester, was pretty hard. I tried doing it without Utsusemi cheesing, but it seems impossible. So after I switched to subjob Ninja on everyone, it wasn't that bad. I mean, still had to plan ahead and keep Utsusemi up which is fun, but I'm not sure how else you would do that encounter without Ninja. One of his attacks instant kills everyone for like 4000+ damage. Initially, I tried using Rampart to reduce the damage which helped, but that ability requires 2 BP to keep up, and there's no way to keep that up full time. Do a lot of the bosses in the end-game "require" Utsusemi?

Performer can feed the Rampart user BP. That's how I did it without Utsusemi cheese.

demidar

Bone Crush deals damage based on your missing health. If you have full health, Bone Crush deals no damage and doesn't consume Rampart. Energy Burst requires 2 BP to pull off, which means it's only used when the boss has 1 BP or more so always Default after he sucks BP. All that's left is to amplify healing to survive with Healing Lore/Holy One to keep topped up

Performer can feed the Rampart user BP. That's how I did it without Utsusemi cheese.

Ah yeah, I didn't even think about doing that. Well I'll keep that in mind for future battles at least. :)

Bone Crush deals damage based on your missing health. If you have full health, Bone Crush deals no damage and doesn't consume Rampart. Energy Burst requires 2 BP to pull off, which means it's only used when the boss has 1 BP or more so always Default after he sucks BP. All that's left is to amplify healing to survive with Healing Lore/Holy One to keep topped up

Ohh, things are starting to make sense now. I was really confused on why sometimes
Bone Crush didn't take off Rampart when I knew I got hit by it.
xD

Ryne

What jobs are good against the Vampire? I'm planning on Ninja spamming him, but is there anything better?

Sora_N

Got Merchant and Thief. Both pretty good. Put the Mythril Bow on Thief and the dungeon with the bats and moths became pretty easy.

Got Merchant and Thief. Both pretty good. Put the Mythril Bow on Thief and the dungeon with the bats and moths became pretty easy.

Merchant is really good with a spear btw

Not to mention its easy to trigger the spear special which gives a 400 percent critical boost to the party.

Delio

So guys what's a good strat for the
Behemoth
He just takes people out in one hit and my entire party is lv 45

Edit: Nevermind figured it out.

KarmaCow

So, in chapter 4 you have to
make a decision on which path to take or something in the first town, is there a best choice?

It's not a big of deal as they make it out to be.

Left is the medium length path with random mobs + "boss" enemy in the way.
Right is really long so lots of random mobs, but there is a pit stop along the way to heal/story background.
Middle is an Automaton with turrets dealing damage to you every 3 turns, but it's short so fewer random mobs.

I found left to be the best. You'll need to fight a Zombie Dragon, but like any other zombie enemy, it's trivial to deal with. The easiest of course is right with random encounters turned off. :p

I have a question about the true ending for those who have beaten the game. What's your reasoning behind:

Ringabel/Alternis? It first seemed like Ringabel stayed in Grandship, but then we see an Alternis. I originally thought it was the Alternis of this world, but he fell into the pillar of light and is presumed dead. At least in this world. So does that mean that Ringabel went to live with Edea and those people as the new Alternis (he wasnt in the celebration at the end), then somehow left this world to his original world before his friends were killed? I thought there was only one Airy and that dimensional travel was done now? Isn't this a big glaring issue if time travel is also a thing?

Does nobody from the gane's world give a fuck that Ringabel and Tiz are gone/dead/asleep? I saw the Bravely Second teaser and all, I'm thinking in the sense of what they saw

Yea the time travel crap doesn't really make any sense. I also realized that despite, y'know, committing horrible atrocities across the world Braev gets off without any punishment. I'm just wondering why the hell they even made the conjurer side quest if they just completely ignore it in the ending. I mentioned earlier how the apparently the characters would prefer to live in their original shit, atrocities everywhere world rather than the "third world" where the people dearest to them are still alive.

Top Bottom