• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

One guy Rampart, one guy Fairy Ward every turn, and have a Performer/Freelancer My Hero/Mimic x3. I find its too much work after 2 dragons and just Utsusemi cheesed the other 4.

That does sound like a lot of work, lol. I think I'll just Ninja or sub Ninja and Utsusemi cheese them. D:

So I finished the thief/merchant sidequest and now I'm trying to repair the
dress by searching for rainbow thread

I'm pretty addicted to this game. My only gripe is that I can't mute Agnes. She just needs to stop talking. Forever.

Oh my sweet sweet Wazzy, you will not experience how annoying she can truly be until Chapter 3 (not a plot spoiler, she just gets far more annoying).

I used to argue that no matter how bad it got the game play would still be fun. But after reaching chapter 5, and more importantly chapter 6
Orthros, wind temple boss
started doing WAY too much damage and did the double area spam every turn before I got a chance to do anything. And my spirimaster/white mage got killed way too many times since she HAD to heal every turn or the other guys would die on the next seeing how the enemy always attacked first.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game started to punish me for not carrying very specific items when it was never that big of an issue, so even the combat was a drag. I wasn't under leveled either. Then I switched to easy and the difference in total damage dealt by baddies is fucking ridiculous. They were barely touching me. This game just took a dive for the worst and it's a shame since the first half itself held more than enough on its own as a competent modern jrpg with old school throwbacks. Needless to say Fire Emblem Awakening is still my favorite 3ds jrpg.

er
you can literally tank Orthros and make him do 1 damage every hit, even on hard mode

Two dragons down after using the Utsusemi cheese method, lol. It's kinda fun keeping that up on my characters - reminds me of the demo actually since that was often the most efficient way to fight the bosses.

I can't decide what support abilities to use for damage dealers, though. "Buff Up" seems incredibly useful since it means I don't really need a Performer by using it. Speed Up is also useful depending on the boss (it especially helps on the dragons to make sure you get Utsusemi off before the boss attacks that particular round). Turn Tables is great in a situation where you are going to be using Utsusemi. Comeback Kid has a similar function to Buff Up, but it requires you to be a Ninja basically (or at least sub Ninja for Utsusemi). For certain classes, Two Handed is obviously great (like Valkyrie or Pirate). Not sure when is best to use Dual Wield.

Anyone have any tips for making the most out of Support Abilities or what they find to be the best combo for bosses?

demidar

Two dragons down after using the Utsusemi cheese method, lol. It's kinda fun keeping that up on my characters - reminds me of the demo actually since that was often the most efficient way to fight the bosses.

I can't decide what support abilities to use for damage dealers, though. "Buff Up" seems incredibly useful since it means I don't really need a Performer by using it. Speed Up is also useful depending on the boss (it especially helps on the dragons to make sure you get Utsusemi off before the boss attacks that particular round). Turn Tables is great in a situation where you are going to be using Utsusemi. Comeback Kid has a similar function to Buff Up, but it requires you to be a Ninja basically (or at least sub Ninja for Utsusemi). For certain classes, Two Handed is obviously great (like Valkyrie or Pirate). Not sure when is best to use Dual Wield.

Anyone have any tips for making the most out of Support Abilities or what they find to be the best combo for bosses?

Buff Up is a lot more stronger than it looks. It basically makes buffs impossible to time out, even from other abilities that grant temporary buffs like Comeback Kid. It makes it easy to make your character permanently 50% stronger.

Is it worth investing in a Knight or a Thief?

It has been for me so Far

Stomp is universally useful early on. Just make sure you have your knight Two hand a good sword. I used Invigorate(Monk) >>> Stomp a lot. Easy way to hit for 800-1000 damage early in the game and its 100% accurate.

Thief is pretty weak but I gave mine Knuckle lore and he did really well early on (especially if you steal some good equipment)

Thief really gets some awesome abilities within the first 9 levels (before the JP cost skyrockets)

Buff Up is a lot more stronger than it looks. It basically makes buffs impossible to time out, even from other abilities that grant temporary buffs like Comeback Kid. It makes it easy to make your character permanently 50% stronger.

Yeah, that's very true. Buff Up seems like the best raw damage buff you can do. What would you recommend for the other two slots? Speaking of which, do you get a 5th support job slot after
the earth crystal?

Is it worth investing in a Knight or a Thief?

Definitely. At least getting Knight to level 2 with everyone for Two Handed and Stomp. I haven't used many of its other support abilities myself. Thief is very useful to get to level 11 at the very least for Rob Blind (steal two items at a time). Thief is also pretty good damage with a bow.

Definitely. At least getting Knight to level 2 with everyone for Two Handed. I haven't used many of its other support abilities msyelf. Thief is very useful to get to level 11 at the very least for Rob Blind (steal two items at a time). Thief is also pretty good damage, too.

It has been for me so Far

Stomp is universally useful early on. Just make sure you have your knight Two hand a good sword. I used Invigorate(Monk) >>> Stomp a lot. Easy way to hit for 800-1000 damage early in the game and its 100% accurate.

Thief is pretty weak but I gave mine Knuckle lore and he did really well early on (especially if you steal some good equipment)

Thief really gets some awesome abilities within the first 9 levels (before the JP cost skyrockets)

Right on, thanks!

Yeah, that's very true. Buff Up seems like the best raw damage buff you can do. What would you recommend for the other two slots? Speaking of which, do you get a 5th support job slot after
the earth crystal?

Definitely. At least getting Knight to level 2 with everyone for Two Handed and Stomp. I haven't used many of its other support abilities msyelf. Thief is very useful to get to level 11 at the very least for Rob Blind (steal two items at a time). Thief is also pretty good damage with a bow.

Big fan of Godspeed Strike which has a modifier for its damage based on the Agility stat (I missed this in the description the first time)

Pumped up my thief with all the AGI boosting equipment I had and BP recovery skills and he hits like a truck

demidar

the earth crystal?

If you're willing to put more levels in Performer, you can get Buff Amp which increases any positive buff you get by +10% and reduces debuffs you suffer by -10%. Stack that with Buff Up and you get 15% every turn. If you're sticking with Ninja skills, then Comeback Kid is a must with either Transience or Turn Tables as you've figured out. Classes that could work well are Monk for fast tracking P. Atk with Invigorate or Pirate for high natural strength and Adrenaline Rush (when dropping to 20% HP, gain massive buffs) plus the class's debuffing skills are great. There are also a couple of jobs past chapter 4 that will highly synergize with Buff Up as well.

And yes to your spoiler.

Big fan of Godspeed Strike which has a modifier for its damage based on the Agility stat (I missed this in the description the first time)

Pumped up my thief with all the AGI boosting equipment I had and BP recovery skills and he hits like a truck

Yeah, Agility is a really great stat in general, I think. Doesn't it affect how many hits your attacks do?

---

So.. am I underleveled (65) or are the random encounters (on the first floor...) in (chapter 4)
Vampire Castle
hard as shit? Like seriously, their regular attacks take off SO much damage, not to mention the status effects like Confuse/Charm...

If you're willing to put more levels in Performer, you can get Buff Amp which increases any positive buff you get by +10% and reduces debuffs you suffer by -10%. Stack that with Buff Up and you get 15% every turn. If you're sticking with Ninja skills, then Comeback Kid is a must with either Transience or Turn Tables as you've figured out. Classes that could work well are Monk for fast tracking P. Atk with Invigorate or Pirate for high natural strength and Adrenaline Rush (when dropping to 20% HP, gain massive buffs) plus the class's debuffing skills are great. There are also a couple of jobs past chapter 4 that will highly synergize with Buff Up as well.

And yes to your spoiler.

Thanks a lot for the tips! :)

Wazzy

Banned
...Unacceptable!
*cringe*

SoEEWGY.png
It's not like she could possibly get any wors-
Oh my sweet sweet Wazzy, you will not experience how annoying she can truly be until Chapter 3 (not a plot spoiler, she just gets far more annoying).

demidar

Yeah, Agility is a really great stat in general, I think. Doesn't it affect how many hits your attacks do?

---

So.. am I underleveled (65) or are the random encounters (on the first floor...) in (chapter 4)
Vampire Castle
hard as shit? Like seriously, their regular attacks take off SO much damage, not to mention the status effects like Confuse/Charm...

Nah, if anything you're overleveled (I'm in chapter 6 at level 69) but that place is utterly brutal. It doesn't matter that much how strong you are precisely because Confuse and Charm will turn that strength against you. I recommend a Spiritmaster at level 12-ish with high speed to use Fairy Ward (blocks all status effects on party), or accessories that block them. Or just turn the encounters off.

The job you get from this is so worth it, but the fight is also extremely tough.

END GAME SPOILER
I don't think the game bothered explaining how the heck Ringabel got to the first world, did it? It explained where he is from and who he failed to save, but not how he was transported to the world you begin the game in as far as I can remember.

---

Vampire Castle

Agility is truly the most important stat to me so far

Much easier to control fights when you get to move first

So I just saw the first event of what I'm assuming is the
Pirate
sidequest in Chapter 3. I waited until night and looked around again but didn't find anything. Do I just have to wait for a bit before I can really jump into this one or is there something else I have to do to progress?

So uhh entering the 1st "point of no return".

Do I have to do the
keystone quest
now?
I recommend doing it if for no other reason that that particular side quest fleshes out the main narrative and imo, should be a mandatory quest.
Pirate
sidequest in Chapter 3. I waited until night and looked around again but didn't find anything. Do I just have to wait for a bit before I can really jump into this one or is there something else I have to do to progress?

You don't have to wait until night, you just have to
get back in your ship and sail into the foggy area in the sea just above Grandship. The game will ask you if you want to let the ghost ship pass or if you want to board it and I'm sure you can guess which answer to choose ;)

Indrew

Neo Member
Pirate

You can do it right away.

Big patch of fog north of grandship.

Busaiku

Ugh, I don't like that a character can still outspeed another even if they have 10 less Agi and doesn't even have Speed +30%.

rugioh

Banned
Nah, if anything you're overleveled (I'm in chapter 6 at level 69) but that place is utterly brutal. It doesn't matter that much how strong you are precisely because Confuse and Charm will turn that strength against you. I recommend a Spiritmaster at level 12-ish with high speed to use Fairy Ward (blocks all status effects on party), or accessories that block them. Or just turn the encounters off.

The job you get from this is so worth it, but the fight is also extremely tough.

I feel like that dungeon sets a precedent for stacking agility items(fox tails/falcon knives) because from that point onward the first turn setups are crucial for not wiping. Although like someone above me said it does get annoying when your healer gets a stillness off before your DPSers who have more agility and speed support abilities stacked can attack.

Busaiku

What the heck, this Nemesis Kamiizumi battle's been going on for like 30 minutes.
How much HP does he have, I'm doing like 4,000 a turn on average.

KarmaCow

I thought I would enjoy chapter 5 since
it was basically an optional boss rush but with all the new jobs, but instead of highlighting new strats with different jobs, it just shows how utterly broken and universally applicable some combinations are in the game. Ninjas alone trivialize so many of the early boss fights (and later boss fights too) that I wish the bosses actually did something new to take into account your new repertoire of skills. I'm already annoyed that half the genome skills are gone post chapter 4 until the very end of the game, but this new tedium has really put a damper on my motivation.

Reading journal start of Chpt 5 and considering the Steins;Gate writer

Ringabel during chapters 1-4 is the Alternis that went back in time after they defeated him in the pillar?In the 1st world, the 1st half of the game takes place on the 2nd world and this is now the 3rd loop?

That would explain a lot.

Top Bottom