• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Weiss

Banned
And onto Chapter 5, DeRosso was surprisingly easy for how hard his dungeon was.

lol Alternis got friendzoned so hard he died.

Protag

Banned
So...i complained i was unimpressed that there were "only 13 sidequests" but i take back what i said.

I didnt realize that they would be sub-plots. Very cool.

So...i complained i was unimpressed that there were "only 13 sidequests" but i take back what i said.

I didnt realize that they would be sub-plots. Very cool.

The sidequests are one of my favorite things about the game. They are fairly fleshed out quests (especially since most RPGs nowadays lean toward the boring fetch quest template) with actual stories, lore info (one in particular), bosses, cutscenes, and good rewards (jobs). I recommend stealing from every boss you come across, too for weapons/items. Not just sidequest bosses, but every boss in the game after you get Thief.

----

Chapter 5+ spoilers:
So I've almost done all the sidequest bosses again in Chapter 5... and I'm gonna have to do them again in Chapters 6 and 7 if I want to see/get everything? x_x What the fuck were they thinking...? I'm more annoyed because with the type of player I am, I want to see and do everything, and I know you *can* skip them, but... I feel like I should do them each time, anyways. Storywise, I like the concept of what they are doing, but it doesn't transition into gameplay very well.

---

Reposting my question for this page in case someone sees it and knows:

Question about gear... For the heavy hitters like
Dark Knight/Valkyrie/Pirate/etc
, are Strength gear/accessories better or agility? For
Ninja/Thief
, I assume Agility is the best, right? Is DEX the best stat for any job?

Zing

Banned
So, what has been the average time to finish the first four chapters? Cause from what I've been reading I'm probably just going to consider that the end of the game.
Is this what we've come to? I can't tell if this is a joke.

Okay guys, I'm looking for a little advice. I'm nearing the end of Chapter 3 right now and everything is still wonderful but this thread has me worried about what's in store. I'm hoping the rest of the game won't spoil what has been a truly wonderful experience thus far but given the sentiments in this thread I'm a little concerned.
This is just sad. People are being negatively affected by words from a few random people on an internet message board. Turn off the computer and enjoy the game.

Protag

Banned
The sidequests are one of my favorite things about the game. They are fairly fleshed out quests (especially since most RPGs nowadays lean toward the boring fetch quest template) with actual stories, lore info (one in particular), bosses, cutscenes, and good rewards (jobs). I recommend stealing from every boss you come across, too for weapons/items. Not just sidequest bosses, but every boss in the game after you get Thief.

Will do, im very pleasantly surprised at how they designed the SQs. They are really fleshed out sidestories, and it great.

Kind of what i expected the quests in smt IV to be like, even thoough i love thenchallenge quests

Matriox

Does that vanish by doing something or just after a certain amount of turns?

I think its 3 turns before he transforms, youll need to be able to default and survive to beat that fight.

This is just sad. People are being negatively affected by words from a few random people on an internet message board. Turn off the computer and enjoy the game.

I ignored those people and still got to chapter 6 with extreme fatigue. This will not be everyone's experience, this is a given and each should create their own experiences, however it did help me a bit to read what others did to reduce that fatigue.

I ignored those people and still got to chapter 6 with extreme fatigue. This will not be everyone's experience, this is a given and each should create their own experiences, however it did help me a bit to read what others did to reduce that fatigue.

What have you heard about how to reduce the fatigue? The only thing I've done to help it not be quite as annoying is turning off all random battles for the entire chapter. From what I heard, the original JP release didn't have that option? That must have suckkkkkkkkkkked, lol. I would rather grind while watching something outside Florem, then turn off all random encounters for future chapters.

Matriox

What have you heard about how to reduce the fatigue? The only thing I've done to help it not be quite as annoying is turning off all random battles for the entire chapter. From what I heard, the original JP release didn't have that option? That must have suckkkkkkkkkkked, lol. I would rather grind while watching something outside Florem, then turn off all random encounters for future chapters.

Reduced still doesn't get rid of it entirely, but basically just do just the temples and only do subs quests if you want to including the new astericks, I personally didn't. If you aren't ready for the temples then youll have to grind but yeah, turn off the randoms and trudge through it. I would have stopped playing because I wanted to complete the game but I am just so burnt out of it I couldn't really handle doing that in its entirety. There are many more games out there that I'd rather play than deal with the monotony of completing chapters 5-7 100%..

KarmaCow

Post Chapter 5 spoiler
How god damn long does it take break a crystal. I'm in Chapter 6 and I tried to break the first crystal, Airy protested but after a while I was just mashing with no feedback. Fine, I get a cutscene afterward stopping where they comment on my over mashing but they still continue. I try again on the second crystal but again no feedback despite Ringabel asking about breaking the crystal before hand. I then spend literally 18 minutes mashing on the third crystal while watching something but nothing again. Fine, at least I can get the Conjurer job. Despite now even Yulyana suggesting this breaking thing again, nothing happens when mashing on the fourth crystal. Is there a rhythm I am misiing, I think I have spent over 30mins mashing in aggregate at this point.

I swear to fucking god
can you guys not mash buttons quickly enough?
pretend like you're playing Mario Party 1 or something, mash like your life depends on it

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I swear to fucking god
can you guys not mash buttons quickly enough?
pretend like you're playing Mario Party 1 or something, mash like your life depends on it
I did the same thing as them at first. I blame the game. It says "Match your breathing to the pulse of the crystal" and then has a damn pulsating light around the button in the UI. Does this not make you think you should match your presses to the pulse? I thought if I pressed it too fast I would break the crystal like Airy said. Fortunately for the second crystal I had checked a youtube because it seemed fucked up how long it took.

As for intentional maximum mashing I point my index finger on the button and tense my arm until it shakes. This results in ridiculously fast button presses way faster than my thumbs can manage.

I did the same thing as them at first. I blame the game. It says "Match your breathing to the pulse of the crystal" and then has a damn pulsating light around the button in the UI. Does this not make you think you should match your presses to the pulse? I thought if I pressed it too fast I would break the crystal like Airy said. Fortunately for the second crystal I had checked a youtube because it seemed fucked up how long it took.

how can this apply when you're actually trying to break it yourself

I'm in chapter 5, just grinded from level 60 to 90 while watching some anime and not paying attention to the game(just changing jobs when someone gets to lvl 14 with a job), I think I'll just keep doing it till I hit 99 and then continue with the game. It will probably be more bearable if I'm not taking that long during fights.

KarmaCow

Ugh so speed actually matters? I could have sworn Airy always said to stop when she says so or it will break.

edit:
Well shit it was basically an extra button press a minute compared to what was doing. I must have accidentally mashed fast enough the first time but slowed a little.

Zornack

I'm in chapter 5, just grinded from level 60 to 90 while watching some anime and not paying attention to the game(just changing jobs when someone gets to lvl 14 with a job), I think I'll just keep doing it till I hit 99 and then continue with the game. It will probably be more bearable if I'm not taking that long during fights.

When/where is the best place to grind to max level?

Ugh so speed actually matters? I could have sworn Airy always said to stop when she says so or it will break.

edit:
Well shit it was basically an extra button press a minute compared to what was doing. I must have accidentally mashed fast enough the first time but slowed a little.

Alright, it seems there's no veterans of Mario Party in this topic, so I'm here to enlighten you and anyone else having trouble achieving max speed.

The absolute, number one, science tested way to mash a button is to RUB the button, not tap or press the button! Rather than twitching your finger up and down place your finger on the edge of the button, and rub it back and forth on, and off, the button itself. Now if you don't want a Mario Party blister I suggest you wrap your finger in a shirt.

Using this strategy (plot spoilers)
I was able to break the crystal in SECONDS. Airy told me to stop, I rubbed the button for 5 seconds, then the next warning came. Breaking seems based on speed, no button presses.

KarmaCow

Alright, it seems there's no veterans of Mario Party in this topic, so I'm here to enlighten you and anyone else having trouble achieving max speed.

The absolute, number one, science tested way to mash a button is to RUB the button, not tap or press the button! Rather than twitching your finger up and down place your finger on the edge of the button, and rub it back and forth on, and off, the button itself. Now if you don't want a Mario Party blister I suggest you wrap your finger in a shirt.

Using this strategy (plot spoilers)
I was able to break the crystal in SECONDS. Airy told me to stop, I rubbed the button for 5 seconds, then the next warning came. Breaking seems based on speed, no button presses.

It wasn't a matter of not being able to press it fast enough, I just didn't know speed mattered at all. They probably said that but I've basically checked out on the dialogue since chapter 3 with Egil. It doesn't require Mario Party 2 charging the robot fly guy levels of bullshit, I just needed to try a little bit.

Wazzy

Banned
Agnes seems to be having an orgasm over trying on a bikini.
HYmnwU3.png

Wait, now I'm just waiting for "...Unacceptable!"

It wasn't a matter of not being able to press it fast enough, I just didn't know speed mattered at all. They probably said that but I've basically checked out on the dialogue since chapter 3 with Egil. It doesn't require Mario Party 2 charging the robot fly guy levels of bullshit, I just needed to try a little bit.

what else could they possibly be talking about, if not speed?!?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
is there a place to go for boss strategies. I'm getting rolled by orthros, and I can't seem to realize what I'm doing wrong.

Dreavus

Re: side quests

Chapter 2 spoiler:
Man, the Red mage side quest was all kinds of fucked up. Reading his notes afterward, the guy had plots spanning years (and even planned to attack Eternia). Red does have a great voice actor though. "Quiet in the back, Red still has the stage."

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I had no problem with the vampire castle, but Lester is kicking my ass. Arg, anyone have a good strategy?
Hasten World + High Jump or Utsusemi + Transience all day every day for the cheap kills. Gotta make sure you're fast though.

colinp

Banned
Hasten World + High Jump or Utsusemi + Transience all day every day for the cheap kills. Gotta make sure you're fast though.

Thanks! That helped a bit, ended up pulling in a friend to finish the job a bit quicker.

I guess I missed looking at most of the paintings, whoops, so now it only kinda makes sense hah. Guess I'll hit them up on the way out.

rugioh

Banned
Vampire's castle is kicking my ass. Whether it's the Cerberus' Payback or fire breath, or the succubi charming me, or all the bats just attacking in one go, I've been dying constantly.

I half expect Lord DeRosso is just going to shove his boot up my ass from the word go.

Use's the permacrystals my son. 3 arctic wind casts + attack item amp and everything dies

Zing

Banned
I wouldn't doubt there is fatigue with how much time people are putting into the game. I'm not sure you can play a single game (literally never shutting it down or removing it from the 3DS) for weeks, investing dozens of hours of play, in just three weeks without needing a break.

DarkKyo

Two questions:
1) once you abilink with someone can you never become unlinked?
2) once you summon someone can you never summon them again?

colinp

Banned
The vampire castle is bullshit. Cerberus can blow me.

Haha, yeah Cerberus is a bitch. Use crescent moon to knock them out before they can knock you out.

Two questions:
1) once you abilink with someone can you never become unlinked?
2) once you summon someone can you never summon them again?

1) you can do it as many times as you want.
2) they need to update their summon and send it out again, then you can use their new one.

I'm having a great time with the game, no need to be sad. I only post and read about games when I don't have access/time to play them, haha.

Um ... I love the first four chapters and all, but it's like reading the Wells report bad if your a Dolphins fan bad.
LOL. Oh boy.

I think this is what I'm going to do as well. I've almost beaten Chapter 5, and I grinded up to level 81 outside Florem (seems to be a great place - I wish those rows of 6 little guys spawned more often, though). Not sure if I want to level up to 99 or not yet - what is the recommended level for the final boss and/or
optional dungeon
? Also, do you need to buy 4 of those freelancer outfits or will 1 work for everyone?

Also, Poison + Exterminate really kills bosses fast. Love
Arcanist/Black Mage

rugioh

Banned
I think this is what I'm going to do as well. I've almost beaten Chapter 5, and I grinded up to level 81 outside Florem (seems to be a great place - I wish those rows of 6 little guys spawned more often, though). Not sure if I want to level up to 99 or not yet - what is the recommended level for the final boss and/or
optional dungeon
? Also, do you need to buy 4 of those freelancer outfits or will 1 work for everyone?

Arcanist/Black Mage

Do you have an auto-battle strategy for Florem grinding?

optional dungeon

Arcanist/Black Mage

The Spiritmaster's Spirit Ward/Adaptation combo is also incredible

Pro

I'm finished!! 51 hours. Level 99. Rolled with 4
Pirates/Freelancer
using
Amped Strike/Mimic
from Chapter 5 onward. Grinded to about level 65 at the start of Chapter 5. Every Boss in Chapter 5-6 went down in the first turn in about 30 seconds. Brave four times with each party member at the start. 16 attacks of 9,999 damage = 159,984 damage in one turn so no single boss had more HP than that. A couple of the
3-team Bosses
in Chapter 7 took two turns and some reflect rings. So irritated with the
Repetitiveness
that I only did the temples in Chapter 8. Had to tweek this build slightly for the final boss of the game. Basically had to keep two party members from going into the negative Brave so they could use Elixers and Megalixers to refill HP and MP but not too much of an issue. That battle would take a loooooong time with a conventional build. Probably would have gone out of my mind with all the
Repetitive
fights if not for beating them all in 30 seconds.

Overall not really impressed by the game. Better fix all the junk if I'm gonna check out Part 2.

Top Bottom