• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Think DMC4 to an extent it's basically adding insult to injury. There's no way to give you the full extent of my disappointment without telling you what happens, so basically all you need to know is:

The game gives the really obvious vibe they ran out of money and did one of the cardinal sins of game length extenders.

I loved DMC4's second half though. Dante>Vergil.

Chapter 6 question:

I'm almost done with Chapter 5 - I am on the final sidequest boss and the final crystal. I mainly did them on this chapter because I wanted to see what all changed (sadly not much besides a few new lines of dialogue here and there). Is Chapter 6 the exact same as chapter 5 in terms of dialogue? Or do they change stuff? I'm trying to decide if I want to do all the sidequest bosses again... I know I'm doing them again in Chapter 7 for the steals and such. Please tell me Chapter 8 isn't another repeat.

Zing

Banned
I've seen a lot of people comment on how easy the game is, but I have honestly struggled through most of the first chapter.

I feel like I'm cheating half of the time because I'm using gear from Norende since I migrated 20 villagers from the demo, but then, I still get fucking wiped out in random battles. Playing on Normal. If I hadn't bought the Cura shield, I would have run out of MP healing through the last three bosses or so.

Everyone is level 23 at the end of the first chapter, which seems crazy high to me, but Tiz, who has 1k+ HP still gets massacred on the reg.
You are missing something. I finished chapter 1 with everyone at level 21, and that was certainly higher than I felt was necessary. I had no trouble, and I made some poor job choices (switched Edea from mage to knight partway through, had Tiz main freelancer, wasted many levels on merchant). Are you choosing complimentary job combinations? With thief and spell fencer available to you at that point, you should be slaughtering everything.

One thing I realized very early in chapter 2, is that the concept of aggro is exists in this game. I couldn't understand why Ringabel was dying in almost every fight. He was a thief/monk and my primary damage dealer. With his outrageous speed, he was first to act in every battle with 4x Mug (via the thief's knife). This was causing him to be the focus of all attacks, despite Edea wearing the Red Muleta (attack inducing accessory). I discovered the Smiley Badge and I had Ringabel wearing it until just recently. An alternative to lowering your member's aggro is to increase the other party members' speed, so they can finish off enemies before they attack.

All that said, I just had my first party wipe. I lost to the Red Mage. I almost had him finished, but he "revenged" multiple times right when I went full brave and then proceeded to Thundaga my party three times in one turn. I don't have a lightning resist accessory and I haven't seen one in the shops. I'll just be more careful next time.

Zing

Banned
Mid Chapter 3 and using

Thief/Freelancer
Valkyrie/Spellfencer
Ranger/Spellfencer
Redmage/Timemage

My mains are:
Valkyrie/Spell Fencer
Ranger/Thief (or Freelancer)
White Mage/Summoner
Black Mage/Time Mage

I love hearing others' job choices. It's also fun to guess which character is which when presented with an ambiguous list such as this.

I loved DMC4's second half though. Dante>Vergil.

It isn't that fair of a comparison though as DMC4's whole enjoyment was gameplay alone, and it was different enough where it didn't bother most folks. BD on the other hand...

Chapter 6 question:

I'm almost done with Chapter 5 - I am on the final sidequest boss and the final crystal. I mainly did them on this chapter because I wanted to see what all changed (sadly not much besides a few new lines of dialogue here and there). Is Chapter 6 the exact same as chapter 5 in terms of dialogue? Or do they change stuff? I'm trying to decide if I want to do all the sidequest bosses again... I know I'm doing them again in Chapter 7 for the steals and such. Please tell me Chapter 8 isn't another repeat.

I could tell you what you want to hear, but it won't change the reality of what it actually is
I think chapter 6 has a couple of different dialogue situations, but the same basically. Also chapter 8 has an added twist to the sidequest bosses that makes it different

Espada

My progress has stopped almost completely. I'm trying to get into the
Vampire Tower
but I need some keystones. I went to one of those monuments around the world, and fought a dragon that basically wiped the floor with me. I tried the others and I faced a similar story. The amount of immunity abilities I need to grind for is insane (Stop, Paralyze, etc...).

Anyone have a good JP grinding spot in Chapter 4? For context, I'm level 57.

Vampire Tower
but I need some keystones. I went to one of those monuments around the world, and fought a dragon that basically wiped the floor with me. I tried the others and I faced a similar story. The amount of immunity abilities I need to grind for is insane (Stop, Paralyze, etc...).

Have everyone put Ninja as their subjob and always keep Utsusemi up (it will block the breath attacks). Makes those fights much more manageable.

Not sure about a place to grind. I leveled up some in the
Eternian Command Center
during that chapter.

Vampire Tower

If you have a spiritmaster/white mage and two heavy hitters, it becomes much more bearable to fight those bosses. Spiritmaster has many element and status cancelling skills.

What's the verdict on 3D with this one?

I honestly NEVER use it, but I've heard it actually is really cool with this game (at least for the environments) . . .

You are missing something. I finished chapter 1 with everyone at level 21, and that was certainly higher than I felt was necessary. I had no trouble, and I made some poor job choices (switched Edea from mage to knight partway through, had Tiz main freelancer, wasted many levels on merchant). Are you choosing complimentary job combinations? With thief and spell fencer available to you at that point, you should be slaughtering everything.

I'll look into the aggro thing.

I had about as complimentary job combos as I could figure. The jobs themselves weren't very ideal since I kept rotating them because JP came in so slowly I figured I would be better served leveling up multiple jobs than spending the rest of the chapter moving from level 6 to 7 in just one.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
After a busy week I finally got back to this, got the Thief and Merchent asterisks and am in a cave looking for the magic vestal thread. Having a blast so far!

Going to try out the merchant class on a whim for a while on Tiz, not really feeling the monk on him. White Mage, Knight, Black Mage is doing fine for me otherwise though.

Espada

Have everyone put Ninja as their subjob and always keep Utsusemi up (it will block the breath attacks). Makes those fights much more manageable.

Not sure about a place to grind. I leveled up some in the
Eternian Command Center
during that chapter.

If you have a spiritmaster/white mage and two heavy hitters, it becomes much more bearable to fight those bosses. Spiritmaster has many element and status cancelling skills.

Thanks, I'm going to try both of these. These fights are absolutely brutal, and it doesn't help that they have a ton of HP either.

What are your thoughts on stealing in this game? Is it worth it the frustration? I've stolen some things from bosses, it was just okay stuff (that was available in stores soon after).

Zomba13

My jobs as of Ch5 are:
Templar (Sword Magic. Formerly Knight then Spell Fencer then back to Knight with Sword Magic)
Ninja (Martial Arts. formally Monk)
Black Mage (Thievery because I need a thief at this point. Previously Summon Magic)
Red Mage (Time magic. Formally WHM)

Using a fairly cheap tactic at this point (only started using it now when things are dragging) Using Red Mage ability BP recovery and Cast-all poison. Red Mage (who has got cast-all) Poisons everyone 2-3 times (depending if I need buffing or not) then poisona to remove it giving +4/6 BP a turn. Everyone else kicks ass. Ninja Duel wielding Katanas with Black belt for more likely crits and Hawkeye Precision so each normal attack give 16 hits and does more damage. Templar adds Sword magic (Fire if I get my Black Mage special off that reduces fire resit).

Really do like the game for the most part. Always like job systems especially when you can mix and match abilities/actions. Like the simple old FF plot of go fix the crystals. Like the characters and the sub quests. Not liking the padding in Ch5 + though.

Characters:
Templar Tiz
Ninja Edea
Black Mage Ringabel
Red Mage Angés

What's the verdict on 3D with this one?

I honestly NEVER use it, but I've heard it actually is really cool with this game (at least for the environments) . . .

I really like the 3D effect in this game for some of the areas (especially a certain city). I typically use 3D, though.

Thanks, I'm going to try both of these. These fights are absolutely brutal, and it doesn't help that they have a ton of HP either.

What are your thoughts on stealing in this game? Is it worth it the frustration? I've stolen some things from bosses, it was just okay stuff (that was available in stores soon after).

I usually steal from every boss I fight. You never know when you'll get a really nice weapon earlier than you would have otherwise. And it'll save you some money in the long run. I recommend leveling up Thief to 11 to get Rob Blind (steals two items at a time). And use the Thief's glove when you are trying to steal as Subjob Thief. I don't think Master Thief and the Thief's glove stack.

Espada

I usually steal from every boss I fight. You never know when you'll get a really nice weapon earlier than you would have otherwise. And it'll save you some money in the long run. I recommend leveling up Thief to 11 to get Rob Blind (steals two items at a time). And use the Thief's glove when you are trying to steal as Subjob Thief. I don't think Master Thief and the Thief's glove stack.

Welp, that's all the motivation I need to get thief to 11. That'd save me a LOT of time, and I can see what you mean about saving money. For some reason I'm almost always struggling to afford new gear (even with all this battling).

I finally got my copy of Bravely Default along w/ Tomb Raider (360) in the mail today.

What a looooooonggggggg overdue delivering the package to me since i ordered it on Feb. 7th.

I'm gonna try to stay out of this thread for awhile before i spoil myself with these spoilers in here.

Welp, that's all the motivation I need to get thief to 11. That'd save me a LOT of time, and I can see what you mean about saving money. For some reason I'm almost always struggling to afford new gear (even with all this battling).

It can definitely be a pain sometimes to Steal from enemies, but keep at it. If you feel like you're having a hard time stealing from a boss, maybe quit and make sure you have the Thief's glove on (or Master Thief support ability).

My mains are:
Valkyrie/Spell Fencer
Ranger/Thief (or Freelancer)
White Mage/Summoner
Black Mage/Time Mage

I love hearing others' job choices. It's also fun to guess which character is which when presented with an ambiguous list such as this.
I'm near the end of Chapter 3, 31 hours played, my party is:

Pirate/Spell Fencer
Swordmaster/Spell Fencer
Performer/White Mage
Black Mage/Time Mage

Characters are probably obivious but:

Tiz, Edea, Agnes, Ringabel

Spell Fencer is so useful as a secondary skill set.

I could tell you what you want to hear, but it won't change the reality of what it actually is
I think chapter 6 has a couple of different dialogue situations, but the same basically. Also chapter 8 has an added twist to the sidequest bosses that makes it different

Why do you gotta say that? :(
Now I'm going to want to do the sidequest bosses on 6, 7, and 8! Mrgrgr... It would probably be safe to skip Chapter 6 sidequests, but I dunno... I need to go back into those dungeons anyways to unlock those blue chests.

I got super frustrated at some bosses, because you have to not get killed while you're robbing them. Plus the steal rate for some items is actually lower than the game tells you--for some, it can fall from 100% to 30%.

You need Master Thief and Thief's Glove both on for a good rate. Prayer--the Freelancer ability--also helps to up your steal rate further.

I got super frustrated at some bosses, because you have to not get killed while you're robbing them. Plus the steal rate for some items is actually lower than the game tells you--for some, it can fall from 100% to 30%.

You need Master Thief and Thief's Glove both on for a good rate. Prayer--the Freelancer ability--also helps to up your steal rate further.

Master Thief and Thief glove dont stack

Says so in the description

I think people did some testing on this and found the description to be incorrect and that they do both have a considerable effect when equipped together

I dunno man

Can you link to said testing?

I havent done much myself since Ive mostly kept my thief and had little trouble stealing.

Why do you gotta say that? :(
Now I'm going to want to do the sidequest bosses on 6, 7, and 8! Mrgrgr... It would probably be safe to skip Chapter 6 sidequests, but I dunno... I need to go back into those dungeons anyways to unlock those blue chests.

I skipped them all as from what a friend told me it never changes the dynamic enough to the point there's an actual reason to do those boss fights.

Ok apparently More Money stacks with the Golden Egg even though the description says otherwise as well

What is the deal? Bad translations?

I skipped them all as from what a friend told me it never changes the dynamic enough to the point there's an actual reason to do those boss fights.

(chapter 6)

I just did the
White Mage and Monk fight again. The first part was mostly the same, but the ending was different. After the battle, our characters left, but then those two got back up again commenting on how having Reraise on was quite handy. And the White Mage got mad at him for getting up too soon, but shrugged it off. Then she jumped on him and I think they started to have sex, lol. Or at least making out. Was amusing. But yeah, I'm not sure if that was worth the actual battle.

Chapter 6 Inn Keeper...

What a bastard, I can't stay for free in Caldisla in this world! He charges me fucking 80pg! What a ripoff! :p

Zing

Banned
Ok apparently More Money stacks with the Golden Egg even though the description says otherwise as well

What is the deal? Bad translations?
Could be. Maybe a programming error. This is the company that accidentally set all physical attack as magic in Final Fantasy VI, and didn't fix the bug in any version until the european release of the GBA game.

Could be. Maybe a programming error. This is the company that accidentally set all physical attack as magic in Final Fantasy VI, and didn't fix the bug in any version until the european release of the GBA game.

I dunno man

Anyone doing some actual testing on these claims? I cant find any info online

goblin

Vampire Tower

You ought to have access to abilties that you can use to mitigate or avoid the breath attacks entirely (Ninja Utsusemi, Templar Rampart) and grinding is much more efficient in Chapter 5; even more so after a point in Chapter 6.

But, if you really want to grind in Chapter 4:

1) Unlock phlogiston for sale at Norende Village's compound shop. Buy 99 of them at 200pg/each.
2) Put the Salve-Maker's Medication ability and Attack Item Amp onto a fast character. Or every character, whatever.
3) Fight battles right outside the south entrance of Eternia City. Every enemy during the daytime is weak to Fire. Have your Salve-Maker(s) Brave and compound phlogiston + phlogiston together four times, killing everything. Toggle on Auto-Battle.
4) Go inside Eternia to rest and restock at night. Repeat.

Splash JP Up (Freelancer 10), More Money (Merchant 9), Golden Egg or Growth Egg in as you see fit.

exfatal

Vampire Tower

This basically happened to me. Was shower over confident after massacring
Brave the Templar
the
Wind
dragon just had my way with me. BTW what difficulty were you playing on? I was on hard.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Considering the changeable on the fly difficulty, the random encounters switch, sleep mode SP and everything else, who exactly is paying for Bravely Second?

No kidding. I'm wondering if Square has made a whole dollar on purchasing Bravely Second. That's insane. Are they hoping little kids somehow access and click on it by accident?

It's like charging a dollar for a 1-UP in a Super Mario game.

Brussels

I am trying to avoid spoilers, I'm sure this has been mentioned time and time again, but the amount of friends I have, has nothing to do with my village population?

I have like 12 friends and 7 guests... but only 8 villagers.

When I do the update for my stats, are my villagers that I gain just random?

Aside from street-passing I just have to hope I get more villagers the more days I log in?

Thanks

Baliis

No kidding. I'm wondering if Square has made a whole dollar on purchasing Bravely Second. That's insane. Are they hoping little kids somehow access and click on it by accident?

It's like charging a dollar for a 1-UP in a Super Mario game.

Someone, somewhere, is buying them so they can send out 999999 summons 20 times a day.

Zing

Banned
I am trying to avoid spoilers, I'm sure this has been mentioned time and time again, but the amount of friends I have, has nothing to do with my village population?

I have like 12 friends and 7 guests... but only 8 villagers.

When I do the update for my stats, are my villagers that I gain just random?

Aside from street-passing I just have to hope I get more villagers the more days I log in?

Thanks

Friends mean nothing. It's strictly 4 villagers every 24 hours when you perform an "update data".

I still have zero friends and only street passed once. I received far more villagers than I would ever need.

Chapter 6:

For some reason, only the red mage sidequest showed up in the Florem area on this chapter. Is that normal or did I forget to do something to trigger the sisters (valkyrie, summoner, ranger quests)? I'm not complaining because it's just less I have to do, but a little odd that only those were not available to refight again on this chapter.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Chapter 6:

For some reason, only the red mage sidequest showed up in the Florem area on this chapter. Is that normal or did I forget to do something to trigger the sisters (valkyrie, summoner, ranger quests)? I'm not complaining because it's just less I have to do, but a little odd that only those were not available to refight again on this chapter.

It's normal.

AwShucks

Is this what we've come to? I can't tell if this is a joke.

Sadly it wasn't a joke. I just don't have time to waste on doing what those chapters make you do. My minimal free time (1 to 2 hours a day) has to be split between games, comics, movies, TV, and books. It's a lot of hobbies and as it is my backlog of games is higher than it's ever been.

So in a case like this it just doesn't seem worth it to me to trudge through those last 4 or more hours when instead I could get through half of GoW Ascension or something.

I dunno man

Anyone doing some actual testing on these claims? I cant find any info online

The descriptions in the game are a bit confusing.

More Money works with Golden Egg for triple money, but it can't work with other More Money.

Same thing for Experience Up and Growth Egg for triple exp.

Stealing is similar--you can get a solid 75% rate for most steals (not rare steals like equipment) with Master Thief and the Thief Gloves. Add in Prayer and you have 100%.

I've been writing a guide for Bravely Default so I know these things : P

Skilletor

Bravely Second's gonna be sweeeeeeeeet.

Here's question, though: I wonder if people are more bothered by Bravely Default's second act, or Xenogears' second act. Both games had serious shifts in the pacing that angered a lot of people... and personally, I think BD's second act is considerably worse. At least in Xenogears, shit was actually happening.

I am not to where BD apparently falls apart, and as a person who gives two shits about stories in games, nothing could ever be worse than Xenoegears since Xenogears disc 2 actively took control away from me and made me read hours and hours of text with Fei and Elly doing nothing but sitting in a chair.

I am not to where BD apparently falls apart, and as a person who gives two shits about stories in games, nothing could ever be worse than Xenoegears since Xenogears disc 2 actively took control away from me and made me read hours and hours of text with Fei and Elly doing nothing but sitting in a chair.

You'll wish BD had taken control from you after Chapter 4... :p Personally, I would have preferred cutscenes over how they did it. And to be fair, there was more going on than the sitting in chair stuff on Disc 2 (although I fully understand why some didn't like that part of the game).

---

Question (Chapter 6+); about the ending:

Just to double check on how to get the regular ending. I awakened 3 crystals, talked to the Sage (he says do disobey Airy basically), and now I'm ready to destroy the final crystal right? My main question is just to make sure - after I do that and see the ending, it will put me back right where I was previously right? I don't want to lose any progress or whatever.

Leezard

You'll wish BD had taken control from you after Chapter 4... :p And to be fair, there was more going on than the sitting in chair stuff on Disc 2 (although I fully understand why some didn't like that part of the game).

---

Question (Chapter 6+); about the ending:

Just to double check on how to get the regular ending. I awakened 3 crystals, talked to the Sage (he says do disobey Airy basically), and now I'm ready to destroy the final crystal right? My main question is just to make sure - after I do that and see the ending, it will put me back right where I was previously right? I don't want to lose any progress or whatever.

Yes,
You do not lose progress.

Reveirg

Possible small chapter 6 spoiler:

It might've been mentionned before but I'm avoiding any spoiler tags. Two questions:
-Is there any point at all in beating the sidebosses in Chapter 5/6/7? I beat some of them in chapter 5 to get some of the dialogue but it quickly became boring. Now I'm thinking I might go straight ahead with story bosses in 6 and 7.
-Is there anything I need to know/do to get the right ending?

Thanks!

Niraj

Possible small chapter 6 spoiler:

It might've been mentionned before but I'm avoiding any spoiler tags. Two questions:
-Is there any point at all in beating the sidebosses in Chapter 5/6/7? I beat some of them in chapter 5 to get some of the dialogue but it quickly became boring. Now I'm thinking I might go straight ahead with story bosses in 6 and 7.
-Is there anything I need to know/do to get the right ending?

Thanks!

The ones in chapter 7 have some nice items for you to steal, and they also drop some good ones. 5 and 6 there's not too much of a point to, though there are a few you have to beat to get the last job in chapter 6

Reveirg

The ones in chapter 7 have some nice items for you to steal, and they also drop some good ones. 5 and 6 there's not too much of a point to, though there are a few you have to beat to get the last job in chapter 6

Thanks!
It just came to my attention that you can beat them in chapter 8 too, are those worth it?

Niraj

Thanks!
It just came to my attention that you can beat them in chapter 8 too, are those worth it?

They're actually pretty challenging comparatively, but there's no items worth stealing, just
armor from Ominas that you can get from chapter 7 anyway. Everyone else gives turbo ethers and shit like that

Speaking of chapter 8 (boss spoiler)
my three pirate+spiritmaster team got ripped by Qada and co. Will have to shift things around and actually use strategy :p

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Messing around with all the fights in Norende Village. Endgame spoilers:
So the Ba'al Turtle Dove is a preview of Bravely Second, right? From what Love does it looks like they're playing around with the BP system a lot more in the sequel. Do the Japan/EU players have access to more bosses like that and what nonsense do they do?

Lace

Can someone send me a nemesis Mammon that holds an elixir? Struggling right now and could really use it.

Lace
4098-3837-1035

Edit: looks like you can't send it through friend codes :<

Top Bottom