• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Wazzy

Banned
CSk3pOQ.png
So accurate it hurts.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's amusing how over-hyped this game was when it was still just in Japan. I mean, it's really good, but it's got some serious issues and was really hamstrung by the budget. It's got the potential to be an amazing series, but... we're not quite there yet.

It's amusing how over-hyped this game was when it was still just in Japan. I mean, it's really good, but it's got some serious issues and was really hamstrung by the budget. It's got the potential to be an amazing series, but... we're not quite there yet.

I didn't pay attention to any hype and I liked the game for what it was. Sure, it did drag on a bit (or a lot) near the end, but the gameplay is so awesome.

Fingers crossed for Bravely Second though : )

I'm only in chapter 4, but I kinda hope the sequel is on the WiiU. Better graphics, larger areas, more variety in dungeons and areas, etc. Hopefully also add in some variety, maybe more puzzles, etc.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I didn't pay attention to any hype and I liked the game for what it was. Sure, it did drag on a bit (or a lot) near the end, but the gameplay is so awesome.

Fingers crossed for Bravely Second though : )

Bravely Second's gonna be sweeeeeeeeet.

Here's question, though: I wonder if people are more bothered by Bravely Default's second act, or Xenogears' second act. Both games had serious shifts in the pacing that angered a lot of people... and personally, I think BD's second act is considerably worse. At least in Xenogears, shit was actually happening.

I've seen a lot of people comment on how easy the game is, but I have honestly struggled through most of the first chapter.

I feel like I'm cheating half of the time because I'm using gear from Norende since I migrated 20 villagers from the demo, but then, I still get fucking wiped out in random battles. Playing on Normal. If I hadn't bought the Cura shield, I would have run out of MP healing through the last three bosses or so.

Everyone is level 23 at the end of the first chapter, which seems crazy high to me, but Tiz, who has 1k+ HP still gets massacred on the reg.

I'm not exactly new to RPGs, it's just weird when dragging a party through Etrian Odyssey is relaxing compared to playing this game.

And I'd like to comment again about how obnoxious the IAPs are in this game. I am commenting on it again, because the game just decided to make using Bravely Second (or whatever it's called) one of the miniquests, and of course Tiz says, while he's attacking, "You know, there's a way to get more SP without waiting!"

Bravely Second's gonna be sweeeeeeeeet.

Here's question, though: I wonder if people are more bothered by Bravely Default's second act, or Xenogears' second act. Both games had serious shifts in the pacing that angered a lot of people... and personally, I think BD's second act is considerably worse. At least in Xenogears, shit was actually happening.

The story in Bravely Default is just pretty terrible from all angles. It's filled with interesting enough characters, which makes it worth the trek, but the story itself is super weak.

Soodanim

I've just finished the demo (which included restarting for the villager trick, doing it wrong, then restarting again), and now I'm waiting for my order to arrive. I haven't bought a new JRPG in way too long, so I'm excited.

2San

Xenogears disk 2, was just a bad experience all round imo. The story really came to point where it was just a mess and the gameplay portions where non-existant and just bad.

BD's 2nd act you can control the pacing and the battles in Chapter 7+ offered a good challenge, which is nice since the main draw of this game is it's combat system. Also it picks things up with the final chapter.

It's easy to hype something simply because it's unavailable. Though I think those who played the Japanese version failed to communicate how flawed this game is. And without the improvements the "For the Sequel" version gave this game, I'd probably call it outright bad.

Pro

The story in Bravely Default is just pretty terrible from all angles. It's filled with interesting enough characters, which makes it worth the trek, but the story itself is super weak.

Meh the characters aren't terribly interesting as well. The good guys are all pretty 1-dimensional happy-go-lucky white knights who just want to do the right thing. Even Ringabel got tiresome after his 50th comment about girls during a serious situation. It was funny the first 20 times... Whereas the "bad" guys are just killers who won't discuss anything for even second but just go straight to killing even their own family. No characters had enough discussion to really make them interesting. Closest it got was "You don't know this back story and I'm not going to waste my time with you. En Guarde!"

Do you have an auto-battle strategy for Florem grinding?

Yeah, I've done it two ways so far. With
everyone subjob Acrobatics/Valkyrie and spamming Crescent Moon with everyone. Even on mage jobs (just equip them with a Sword/Katana/whatever Lore form another job so they have S ranking. Allows easy leveling of new jobs as well. The other way I've done it is to have someone be Black Mage with subjob Swordmaster (need lvl14 though for Free Lunch). So I have the black mage Brave 4 times and use Free Lunch -> Firaga x3 and all enemies will be dead since most are weak to Fire. Need decent INT/BLM gear to do this, though. The Black Mage method is better for farming money since all enemies will typically die at the same time unlike using Crescent Moon (due to crits usually killing one enemy too early).

The Spiritmaster's Spirit Ward/Adaptation combo is also incredible

I've used Spirit Ward several times now (I LOVE Spiritmaster/White Mage combo for a healer) - I haven't tried Adaptation. Should give that a go. :)

I don't really think it's terrible personally. It isn't amazing or anything like that, but the little hints/mysteries are keeping me interested and seeing where it's going. I feel like the sidestories are also pretty interesting (in particular the one with
Lester/Vampire
due to all the additional story/lore it provides of the world.

Xenogears disk 2, was just a bad experience all round imo. The story really came to point where it was just a mess and the gameplay portions where non-existant and just bad.

Whattt, no way! :p Disc 2 had the absolute best parts of the story in Xenogears (and why it's my favorite story in a game). I can understand why some would dislike Disc 2 due to the lack of gameplay, but I loved it for the story personally.

I understand the complaints about the story but man its been so long since we have gotten a traditional turn based role playing game like this. How can I even complain? its not like most games have a great story anyways.

2San

Whattt, no way! :p Disc 2 had the absolute best parts of the story in Xenogears (and why it's my favorite story in a game). I can understand why some would dislike Disc 2 due to the lack of gameplay, but I loved it for the story personally.
I think the strength of Xenogears story is in it's world building, which is top notch. The actual plot points had me rolling my eyes. I can see why people like it though.

demidar

So uhh, end game spoilers I suppose
I was in chapter 6, and knowing how tedious this is gonna get to do this all again (I know they're just optional bosses but I just gotta kill'em), I tried to break the crystals despite no prompt. Well, it worked. Airy revealed her final form then script-killed me (is that suppose to happen if you keep going through the light?) and I got jumped to the finale. Is chapter 8 the finale or is it a separate chapter?

I was in chapter 6, and knowing how tedious this is gonna get to do this all again (I know they're just optional bosses but I just gotta kill'em), I tried to break the crystals despite no prompt. Well, it worked. Airy revealed her final form then script-killed me (is that suppose to happen if you keep going through the light?) and I got jumped to the finale. Is chapter 8 the finale or is it a separate chapter?
It's the final chapter, but you're going to see the bad ending. After you beat it you will be sent back.

2San

Just complete this and then you will get the option to save and you will brought back to before you broke the crystal. Then you should play all the chapters without breaking anything. You can honestly just skip the sidequests, except of Ch7 since you can steal good stuff there. The sidequests do give a bit of insight in the opponents though, but nothing major. Ch8 side quests are pretty brutal so be warned (no interesting items to steal either). Ch8 is not the final chapter.

demidar

It's the final chapter, but you're going to see the bad ending. After you beat it you will be sent back.

Just complete this and then you will get the option to save and you will brought back to before you broke the crystal. Then you should play all the chapters without breaking anything. You can honestly just skip the sidequests, except of Ch7 since you can steal good stuff there. Ch8 side quests are pretty brutal so be warned (no interesting items to steal either). Ch8 is not the final chapter.

Huh, good to know. Maybe I'll keep going just to see it.

georly

Quick question about the combat bonuses.

Do they not work? It'll say like 19+1 JP and i literally only get 19.

Is that because it WOULD have been 18, but the +1 made it 19? if so, that's a dumb way to display it. Why not just say 18+1 and give me 19?

2San

Huh, good to know. Maybe I'll keep going just to see it.

I edited my pervious post a bit. Doing the sidequests does give a bit of insight in the opponents, but nothing major. I personally could have done without it. Not sure if this applies to ch8, because I skipped those.

Jawmuncher

I'm only on Chapter 2 and 8 hours in. I love everything about this game so far. I haven't been this addicted to a jRPG like this since FF7.

I'm only on Chapter 2 and 8 hours in. I love everything about this game so far. I haven't been this addicted to a jRPG like this since FF7.

What level are you?
I'm on Chapter 2 as well but it has taken almost 12 hours and it is has been pretty miserable. Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Have you been changing jobs?

So I got some sort of ending but I'm afraid to save incase I've locked myself out of true ending. Chapter 6 spoilers:
so I shattered the wind crystal, Ringabel asked what would happen and I was curious. Airy turned into some demon thing, wiped out the party, then we came back to life. I'm now at the Chasm, now called the dark Aurora. Should I go on? Seems like I've skipped chapters.

Help?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So I got some sort of ending but I'm afraid to save incase I've locked myself out of true ending. Chapter 6 spoilers:
so I shattered the wind crystal, Ringabel asked what would happen and I was curious. Airy turned into some demon thing, wiped out the party, then we came back to life. I'm now at the Chasm, now called the dark Aurora. Should I go on? Seems like I've skipped chapters.

Help?

You're fine. Once you finish that, the game will put you back to right before you broke the crystal. You're not locked out of the true ending.

Jawmuncher

What level are you?
I'm on Chapter 2 as well but it has taken almost 12 hours and it is has been pretty miserable. Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Have you been changing jobs?

8 hours and all my chracters are level 21.
I've been keeping classes so far Knight, White Mage, Black Mage, and Monk.
I did grind for a little bit but it seems to be if you bump the difficulty to hard you get more XP I might just be imagining that but I stuck with the change anyway. Aside from that the only thing I have really been doing is making sure I grab the best equipment. This early in the game i'm not bothering with job changes since that team up there is just fine for now.

Only in chapter 1, but I am loving this game. It's everything I hoped FF would be since X. Hoping the complaints about the second half are overblown.

I also find it amusing how you flat out murder the asterisk-holders and no one seems to care or even mention it. Not even a
16 year old thief
is spared.

Jawmuncher

Only in chapter 1, but I am loving this game. It's everything I hoped FF would be since X. Hoping the complaints about the second half are overblown.

I also find it amusing how you flat out murder the asterisk-holders and no one seems to care or even mention it. Not even a
16 year old thief
is spared.

A life of crime never pays.

8 hours and all my chracters are level 21.
I've been keeping classes so far Knight, White Mage, Black Mage, and Monk.
I did grind for a little bit but it seems to be if you bump the difficulty to hard you get more XP I might just be imagining that but I stuck with the change anyway. Aside from that the only thing I have really been doing is making sure I grab the best equipment. This early in the game i'm not bothering with job changes since that team up there is just fine for now.

Thanks!
I'm wondering if job switching is what has made things so difficult for me. I've been switching around 5 or 6 for everyone.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wait, but I'm confused. This isn't the true ending? Will I have to repeat this dungeon again?

It isn't. There are a couple more chapters after 6, and once you finish chapter 8, you go to the true ending. You will have to do that again, but any chests you get won't refill.

Jawmuncher

Thanks!
I'm wondering if job switching is what has made things so difficult for me. I've been switching around 5 or 6 for everyone.

Yeah I think that might be the problem.
Better to have higher class levels than a bit of everything in the beginning. There'll be time later to start messing with all the classes.

Chapter 5+:

I wouldn't mind the repetition of doing the sidequest bosses so much if more of the dialogue changed. On some of the bosses, the dialogue is quite different, but on others, it's almost word-for-word the exact same dialogue as the first go around. Like, I just did Edea's Commander again, and I am pretty sure the dialogue was exactly the same... like wtf? or even if you go visit Edea's mother again, the characters are like in shock that she recognizes Agnes and Edea is like "Mother! Are you okay?!" Edea, that isn't even your real mother since this is another world... I don't get the characters sometimes.

Thanks!

Knight remains good for a long time

Stomp is an excellent move that can be quickly boosted with Invigorate and Two Handing a sword for big damage

Its even better since the Sword special is activated by Braving. Really good setup early on just have to be careful with the defense hit of not having a shield.

I have found Evasion to be mostly a throwaway stat for the most part since there are so many attacks with 100% accuracy. You are better off going full offense IMHO

Pro

Chapter 5+:

I wouldn't mind the repetition of doing the sidequest bosses so much if more of the dialogue changed. On some of the bosses, the dialogue is quite different, but on others, it's almost word-for-word the exact same dialogue as the first go around. Like, I just did Edea's Commander again, and I am pretty sure the dialogue was exactly the same... like wtf? or even if you go visit Edea's mother again, the characters are like in shock that she recognizes Agnes and Edea is like "Mother! Are you okay?!" Edea, that isn't even your real mother since this is another world... I don't get the characters sometimes.

Yep, like they are surprised when the same monster comes out of the same crystal for the 16th time. C'mon Square. This was one of the biggest issues for me. Then Ringabel tells them he remembers Airy being bad in Chapter 6, they all agree and follow along, yet they're so mind-blown when she reveals herself in chapter 8. So dumb!

Knight remains good for a long time

Stomp is an excellent move that can be quickly boosted with Invigorate and Two Handing a sword for big damage

Its even better since the Sword special is activated by Braving. Really good setup early on just have to be careful with the defense hit of not having a shield.

I have found Evasion to be mostly a throwaway stat for the most part since there are so many attacks with 100% accuracy. You are better off going full offense IMHO

Interesting, I'll look into Stomp. I recently dropped Knight because it was doing crap damage compared to Monk and I wasn't really able to use all that defense to protect anyone (except with higher level Abilink skills).

monk was a beast for me for a loooong time

Yeah Monk remains good as well for regular attack combos but drops off quickly later on...

A shame really. I did have knuckle lore on my Thief and he would hit just as hard as a monk.

The best thing about Stomp is that it never misses and seems to benefit from stacking buffs. Once you unlock
Spell Fencer
the Knight will quickly and easier outdamage a monk.

You have to consider that Knight is has better stats, skills, and uses a sword (gets access to special attacks more often).

Right now i'm rocking a Ninja/Thief, White Mage/Spiritmaster, Pirate/Spell Fencer, and Black Mage/Arcanist. It's been doing pretty well for me.

Right now i'm rocking a Ninja/Thief, White Mage/Spiritmaster, Pirate/Spell Fencer, and Black Mage/Arcanist. It's been doing pretty well for me.

Mid Chapter 3 and using

Thief/Freelancer
Valkyrie/Spellfencer
Ranger/Spellfencer
Redmage/Timemage

Having little issues so far :p

Seik

Banned
I understand the complaints about the story but man its been so long since we have gotten a traditional turn based role playing game like this. How can I even complain? its not like most games have a great story anyways.

I share your feels, man.

Last time I heavily invested myself in a hardcore, real, turned based, JRPG like that was FFX. Before FFX it was FFVII. So yep, I won't complain. :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, Tiz kicks serious ass right now

Monk: (lvl ~60)
- Natural Talent (monk)
- HP 20% up (monk)
- P. Atk 20 % up (pirate)

w/ Ranger ability

Multiburst Attack deals 9999 damage at each hit (x4) almost every time now :p

Downside: No immunities etc. Need a spiritmaster/white mage to take care of him every now and then

Yeah Monk remains good as well for regular attack combos but drops off quickly later on...

A shame really. I did have knuckle lore on my Thief and he would hit just as hard as a monk.

The best thing about Stomp is that it never misses and seems to benefit from stacking buffs. Once you unlock
Spell Fencer
the Knight will quickly and easier outdamage a monk.

You have to consider that Knight is has better stats, skills, and uses a sword (gets access to special attacks more often).

I have really been enjoying
Spell Fencer
since I unlocked it. Hadn't looked into subclassing yet, but I could see that being very effective. Will look at that when I get home.

Im on chapter 3 and enjoying it so far. But man even some of the most uncritical people I know have been saying the game kinda shits itself in later chapters.

Without spoilers, how bad is it? are we talking unplayable or is it more of a dmc4 situation where things just get a little repetitive level wise.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Considering the changeable on the fly difficulty, the random encounters switch, sleep mode SP and everything else, who exactly is paying for Bravely Second?

Im on chapter 3 and enjoying it so far. But man even some of the most uncritical people I know have been saying the game kinda shits itself in later chapters.

Without spoilers, how bad is it? are we talking unplayable or is it more of a dmc4 situation where things just get a little repetitive level wise.

Think DMC4 to an extent it's basically adding insult to injury. There's no way to give you the full extent of my disappointment without telling you what happens, so basically all you need to know is:

The game gives the really obvious vibe they ran out of money and did one of the cardinal sins of game length extenders.

Top Bottom