• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well that wasn't too bad. Chapter 8 boss spoiler
Against Qada and co, I used four ninjas, slowest one with Spiritualism secondary (and hasten world), then I just used Shippujinrai with the faster ones, stillness with the slow one, repeat. Got rid of Qada first, then Crowe, then the other two.

burgerdog

Are the lv10/11 norende weapons stronger than the stuff found in the blue chests? I just want to know if I should spend my money on those items or not.

Are the lv10/11 norende weapons stronger than the stuff found in the blue chests? I just want to know if I should spend my money on those items or not.

It depends on the weapon. Most weapons you can find better versions in the endgame and Blue Chests, but there's a few extremely good weapons. The
Falcon Knife, Fox Tail and Magic Knife
, for example, are weapons that you'd be using till the end of the game, depending on your build.

burgerdog

It depends on the weapon. Most weapons you can find better versions in the endgame and Blue Chests, but there's a few extremely good weapons. The
Falcon Knife, Fox Tail and Magic Knife
, for example, are weapons that you'd be using till the end of the game, depending on your build.

In that case I'll buy the weapons you tagged and then buy the outfits after that, thanks.

Anustart

I'm in chapter 6 now grinding away. Up to level 81, and sadly Agnes is lagging behind in job levels because she's the one sticking it out in a single job and mopping up battles while the other three rotate jobs.

Norende will also be finished tonight! Any bonus for doing the whole thing?

Seda

Just completed the game.

The job/battle system is the highlight of the game, clearly. Mixing and matching party composition and strategies is engaging, and prevents the game from ever feeling monotonous as you progress through the dungeons in the game. Well, for the first 4 chapters anyway. Sometimes the difficulty curve feels a little odd when you can steamroll one boss but struggle on the next, but that's mostly just a consequence of having setups to counter properly. There are certainly more than one way to break the difficulty with some overpowered combinations, but that's part of the fun of these types of systems. And of course friend summons or Bravely Second are there if you want to break the game even more.
Or if you just want to one-shot the bosses you are forced to repeat

Chapters 5-8 were....if anything... an interesting idea. Maybe. But the execution bemuses me. You can argue it fits the narrative they were trying to tell, but when a game starts to feel like a chore, maybe they should have tackled the idea in a different manner. I will say that some of the extra boss battles were challenging - in chapter 8 specifically - and I certainly appreciated some encounters that required more than just brute force to overcome. But this half of the game is a significant blemish on an otherwise very enjoyable title.

The ending was satisfying enough, and was fairly interesting in how they incorporated the idea of
multiple worlds
, and the friend capabilities of the game into the narrative. And the Bravely Second teaser video definitely leaves me curious about where they want to take this franchise. I'm glad to hear that they plan on leaving things like the battle system and the options to lower encounter rates in Bravely Second. Being able to turn on/off encounters is a great convenience. I'm imagining doing chapters 5-8 with encounters forced.....that's a scary thought.

The music is absolutely fantastic. Almost every track is worthwhile. A little lacking in quantity perhaps, but that's preferable to overly numerous half-hearted tracks. I kind of wish that the final boss battle musics would supersede the Special themes at the end.

I really hope that Bravely Second can avoid some of the tedious design found in Bravely Default.

So, just got ending 1 at chapter 6:
fought demon Airy. Heroes saved the day. All were happy. Saved game and now I'm back to when before I destroyed the Wind Crystal.

How much differebt is the true ending if I continue to trudge the remaining chapters? I still need to unlock Vampire job, and one more job it looks like. Also, demon Airy mentioned Lord Ouroboros.

I do like how the title screen now says Lying Airy instead of Flying Fairy. Nice touch.

What's everyone's playtimes like? I just started Chapter 4 and I'm at a little over 30 hours. I feel like I'm crawling through this game right now, not that I have a problem with going slow.

Just completed the game.

The job/battle system is the highlight of the game, clearly. Mixing and matching party composition and strategies is engaging, and prevents the game from ever feeling monotonous as you progress through the dungeons in the game. Well, for the first 4 chapters anyway. Sometimes the difficulty curve feels a little odd when you can steamroll one boss but struggle on the next, but that's mostly just a consequence of having setups to counter properly. There are certainly more than one way to break the difficulty with some overpowered combinations, but that's part of the fun of these types of systems. And of course friend summons or Bravely Second are there if you want to break the game even more.
Or if you just want to one-shot the bosses you are forced to repeat

Chapters 5-8 were....if anything... an interesting idea. Maybe. But the execution bemuses me. You can argue it fits the narrative they were trying to tell, but when a game starts to feel like a chore, maybe they should have tackled the idea in a different manner. I will say that some of the extra boss battles were challenging - in chapter 8 specifically - and I certainly appreciated some encounters that required more than just brute force to overcome. But this half of the game is a significant blemish on an otherwise very enjoyable title.

The ending was satisfying enough, and was fairly interesting in how they incorporated the idea of
multiple worlds
and the friend capabilities of the game into the narrative. And the Bravely Second teaser video definitely leaves me curious about where they want to take this franchise. I'm glad to hear that they plan on leaving things like the battle system and the options to lower encounter rates in Bravely Second. Being able to turn on/off encounters is a great convenience. I'm imagining doing chapters 5-8 with encounters forced.....that's a scary thought.

The music is absolutely fantastic. Almost every track is worthwhile. A little lacking in quantity perhaps, but that's preferable to overly numerous half-hearted tracks. I kind of wish that the final boss battle musics would supersede the Special themes at the end.

I really hope that Bravely Second can avoid some of the tedious design found in Bravely Default.

Bold #1 - I agree. On paper, it sounds like an interesting idea, but the execution was pretty tedious. I still found parts of Chapters 5-6 (currently at the end of Chapter 6) interesting - in particular the whole
Conjurer sidequest was very well done, imo
. But from a gameplay perspective, it is a chore and quite boring sometimes. The game is lucky I find the battle/job system super fun. :p

Bold #2 - Yeah, agreed again. I'm a big fan of
multiple worlds/parallel universes/multiverse
type stories in games. And while I don't think this one executed the idea as well as other tv shows/movies/games have, it's still a topic that intrigues me most of the time.

Your thoughts actually echo mine in general. I still haven't beaten the game yet.

What's everyone's playtimes like? I just started Chapter 4 and I'm at a little over 30 hours. I feel like I'm crawling through this game right now, not that I have a problem with going slow.

I'm pretty slow, and I stopped often to grind some jobs, so my playtime is probably on the upper end of what people would normally do. But at the end of Chapter 4, I was at around 65 hours. Currently, I'm at 78~ hours at the end of Chapter 6.

Niraj

Wow, what a joke. Chapter 8 spoilers:
All you get for doing the boss gauntlet is a journal entry page? :/

royox

So, just got ending 1 at chapter 6:
fought demon Airy. Heroes saved the day. All were happy. Saved game and now I'm back to when before I destroyed the Wind Crystal.

How much differebt is the true ending if I continue to trudge the remaining chapters? I still need to unlock Vampire job, and one more job it looks like. Also, demon Airy mentioned Lord Ouroboros.

I do like how the title screen now says Lying Airy instead of Flying Fairy. Nice touch.

Is absolutely diferent from the one you have seen.

njean777

Jeez I am only on chapter one, just got to the flower city unless that is chapter 2. A question I have is if the side quests end if I progress to far? I tried the one with the bandit and the water, but got stuck on the last part when you have to go into the mill. So will that quest stay open for the duration of the game? Or will it disappear at some point?

Sooooo. I just got to chapter 5. Im gonna try and make this question as vague as possible.

Is there any good reason to do all the Sub Quests in chapter 5? Or will they just benefit that one job?

Soriku

Jeez I am only on chapter one, just got to the flower city unless that is chapter 2. A question I have is if the side quests end if I progress to far? I tried the one with the bandit and the water, but got stuck on the last part when you have to go into the mill. So will that quest stay open for the duration of the game? Or will it disappear at some point?

I heard they disappear but come back later. For the Mill quest, you have access to the Mill (at night) after you awaken the crystal.

Loco4Coco

Ok chapter 6 is a bit ridiculous. What is the recommended level for chapter 6? I feel that my guys are doing crap damage on foes. Maybe I just suck at the game.

100% as in Norende done, all jobs gotten and maxed out, level 99 for everyone, all genomes, and all the optional battles?
hmm
I did all that except the genomes and only skipped side quests in two chapters in 44 hours. What are people doing for these hour counts, not using turbo mode?

Can anyone give me tips on the Alternis fight at
the end of Ch 4?
He keeps spamming Minus Strike and wipes out my team before I can even do anything.

the end of Ch 4?
He keeps spamming Minus Strike and wipes out my team before I can even do anything.

Save up a bunch of specials. And if you want extra specials, make your casters use both a rod and a staff, and dual wield(Different weapon types) on your fighters if you can to get two specials on them too.

Or just summon in lots of people, haha.

Zornack

the end of Ch 4?

By that point I had a Salve-Maker with white magic and could full heal with cura every turn. What level are you/jobs are you using?

Niraj

(endgame spoilers)
Beat the save guy and the fox in the bonus dungeon. Kind of lame that the Adventurer's Mark isn't a costume, but oh well.

Zekes!

I just finished Norende and have only just started chapter 2. To be fair I have barely played over the week as I've been busy with school.

Too bad I can't afford any of that equipment

EDarkness

I've been getting fights in my town for a few days now and I really want to know why EVERYONE keeps sending the same damn fight? There's no fraggin' variety. If I hadn't locked down a couple of the enemies, I'd have a whole bunch of Belphegors. I guess this fight must suck so people keep sending it out. I dread getting enemies now because it's 95% of the time the same thing. Ugh.

Niraj

Just finished the game. Really enjoyed it for the most part. There are certainly some weak segments as well as some baffling ones (the general sluggishness of chapter 3, and some well-known issues with 5+), but overall I don't think those complaints took away too much from my overall enjoyment of the game. The highlight for me was the job system. I think they mostly did a good job of offering new jobs at a decent pace, so that you always have something new to try out. There's also a lot of variety, so it's easy to find a playstyle that fits your own personal sense of enjoyment. The music was phenomenal, and the game looked great (the 3D was pretty nice too), though I do wish that some of the dungeons weren't so threadbare. I hope the sequel improves those and the characterization. The story could have been better, but I did like the ending, which was pretty cool.

I hope this does well enough for us to get the sequel here, which, ideally, is very much improved from an already enjoyable game.

Mothman91

What does accuracy do?

Ranger class has a 100% accuracy ability, and I'm guessing it allows me to maximize damage output? This should be good with weapons that have low accuracy right?

Anustart

What does accuracy do?

Ranger class has a 100% accuracy ability, and I'm guessing it allows me to maximize damage output? This should be good with weapons that have low accuracy right?

I was under the impression it affects how many hits you get. Like increasing it from 1 hit to 2+ hits etc.

No hard evidence to back it up, but something to test!

demidar

Maxed out Freelancer, need some help understanding the final ability (or at least confirm suspicions)
Sometimes I deal 0 damage when following up on an attack after chaining Mimics. Is it because I killed the original target of my base attack and my Mimic moved on to another target?

Edit: nvm found the problem. I'm so dumb :/

KHlover

Banned
Damn! How many villagers did you have???
Well I finished Norende before I was out of Caldisla :lol:

Bought the game Dec. 3 and didn't really start playing until around christmas XD. All I did was open the 3DS every few hours to assign new tasks and get new workers. Damn you, finals :D

Zing

Banned
I just finished Norende and have only just started chapter 2. To be fair I have barely played over the week as I've been busy with school.

Too bad I can't afford any of that equipment
I was in the same situation. By the end of chapter 2, I had bought everything I wanted from the shop, except the ridiculous stuff, without any extra effort or grinding, or even using Merchant. The weapons and armor weren't even that impressive to me at that point, compared to the village shops.

Anustart

How might I get back on the deck of the grandship once I'm able to fly it around? I could have sworn there was a blue chest in there, but I cannot figure out how to actually explore the ship again?

spiritfox

How might I get back on the deck of the grandship once I'm able to fly it around? I could have sworn there was a blue chest in there, but I cannot figure out how to actually explore the ship again?

Press the airship button again and you can choose to go inside it.

Top Bottom