• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Wazzy

Banned
Wait...I have to *Chapter 5 spoilers*
basically beat all the same dungeons again?

kFz3VEG.jpg

So I'm slowly chugging my way through the game (can't wait til I leave for Vacation where I'll be able to devote a lot more time to it) but I ahve a couple more questions.

How exactly does Auto Save work? I had shut my DS when I was in the middle of a dungeon, but then I wanted to quit as soon as possible so I could check/play my latest Streetpass tags. I noticed the Auto Save icon when I travel between floors but I'm not sure if that's a sign that it's okay to quit your game. I played it safe and backtracked all the way out to the World Map.

Secondly, when you're equipping weapons, I noticed certain weapons show a flashy S next to characters. Is that some kind of bonus, best possible weapon, or what?

Thanks in advance for your help GAF, I'm still near the beginning, but I really am loving this game.

So in chapter 2 is it possible to beat
victoria and victor the first time you fight them
or will she always use that exterminate skill to instant gank you?

ronito

So what are some of the best jobs out there? Right now I have White Mage/Black Mage, Swordmaster/Spell Fencer, Black mage/white mage and Ninja/Hunter

I feel I could do better.

Soriku

So I'm slowly chugging my way through the game (can't wait til I leave for Vacation where I'll be able to devote a lot more time to it) but I ahve a couple more questions.

How exactly does Auto Save work? I had shut my DS when I was in the middle of a dungeon, but then I wanted to quit as soon as possible so I could check/play my latest Streetpass tags. I noticed the Auto Save icon when I travel between floors but I'm not sure if that's a sign that it's okay to quit your game. I played it safe and backtracked all the way out to the World Map.

Secondly, when you're equipping weapons, I noticed certain weapons show a flashy S next to characters. Is that some kind of bonus, best possible weapon, or what?

Thanks in advance for your help GAF, I'm still near the beginning, but I really am loving this game.

The game autosaves if you move through floors, leave a town, leave a dungeon, or beat a boss. If you closed your 3DS at that time, you would've been fine. There's no need to backtrack out of a dungeon.

As for the "S", it means your weapon (or armor) scales well with that job, so you'll get a power boost (or defense boost) by equipping it. S is the highest scaling, then it goes down to A, B, C, etc.

So what are some of the best jobs out there? Right now I have White Mage/Black Mage, Swordmaster/Spell Fencer, Black mage/white mage and Ninja/Hunter

I feel I could do better.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103430321&postcount=6687

Here is my setup. Note that I replaced Attack Item Amp on Ringabel with Dual Shields so he can wield 2x Bloody Shields.

jourdy

Can anyone be my friend?
My FC is 0404-6645-4820

Seems like this game is much more fun when you can share abilinks with other people. I only have 2 friends playing BD at the moment, so adding me as a friend would be GREATLY appreciated!

Lombax

Banned
Wait...I have to *Chapter 5 spoilers*
basically beat all the same dungeons again?

kFz3VEG.jpg

Yeah dude...wait until
Chapter 6
. I hit it this morning, and my reaction was "WTF Bravely Default!? I thought we were friends?"
I'll never understand why some devs feel the need to pad a game with bullshit.

demidar

Yeah dude...wait until
Chapter 6
. I hit it this morning, and my reaction was "WTF Bravely Default!? I thought we were friends?"

I understand what they were going for, but the execution is piss poor. I'd advise just skipping chapter 5 and 6 (there's one sidequest you should do for a new job in 6 but that's it).

webrunner

-With chapter 6 I believe, some of the bosses seem to fight you with no strong reason. I found it funny how the
Kamiizumi
fight at the time had very little dialogue. It was just a straight battle for some reason. And after the battle, you
hear his dying sound
, except
that time Edea doesn't cry.
It was almost like they were going through the works!...Well I mean they kinda were, but you didn't have to
kill the man
. Lol.
This actually appears to be a bug. If you watch that in the event viewer there's an entire set of dialog that doesnt play during the actual game where
Edea says she's tried to talk to him and her father numerous times and it doesn't help any

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I understand what they were going for, but the execution is piss poor. I'd advise just skipping chapter 5 and 6 (there's one sidequest you should do for a new job in 6 but that's it).

I'd say Venus sister fight is also worth it. It's a sign of things to come in chapters 7 and 8.

Soriku

This actually appears to be a bug. If you watch that in the event viewer there's an entire set of dialog that doesnt play during the actual game where
Edea says she's tried to talk to him and her father numerous times and it doesn't help any

Oh...really? Huh.

finally got around to come back to this game... got to ch5... ehhhh... I'm like at hour 55... game probably should have just ended around here... why.

At least dark knights are pretty boss. took me 20min to figure out why kept dying, and it was because he was trying to hp drain undead folks... which apparently is bad for the health.

Lombax

Banned

Thanks for the tip, I did not know there was an additional job in 6. I am sure they are doing this to build to something, but I agree terrible execution.

Soriku

finally got around to come back to this game... got to ch5... ehhhh... I'm like at hour 55... game probably should have just ended around here... why.

At least dark knights are pretty boss. took me 20min to figure out why kept dying, and it was because he was trying to hp drain undead folks... which apparently is bad for the health.

I don't get why people say this. The
multiple worlds/cycles
are essential to the plot, so the game couldn't have ended there.

Execution could've been better, sure, but ending the game in chapter 5 would've been too early.

multiple worlds/cycles

Execution could've been better, sure, but ending the game in chapter 5 would've been too early.

dont know. unless you actually read the D journal, there really aren't that many hints of what's to come.

You probably could slather together an ending of some sort at the end of ch4 and ill probably be ok. It's not like i found much of the game that compelling, storywise.

I think i'd have less of a problem if there were like ways for you to teleport to save point guys. Would make world travel WAY less tedious.

Tripon

I think it would have been interesting if they created another false ending at chapter 4, like a bad ending where it ends up with Airy slaughtering you because you start questioning her.

It would then force the player to wonder if there's more story/game after that.

Matriox

multiple worlds/cycles

They could have easily made you believe you were already on later worlds through story telling rather than showing you. Its obnoxiously repetitive and unnecessary

demidar

damn it, have only 1 friend with lvl 14 dark knight (and using her for some other char atm).

Wheres the best grinding spots for jp post ch5?

Florem area with Rafflesias, Some people also like Witherwood Interior (northeast dungeon from Florem, next to the save point). You'll need good group clearing abilities though.

I can send you my character if you like, FC is 0361 6762 6094.

Thorgal

So here is a noob question :

How can i use specials ?

I am currently at chapter 1
at the Yullyana sage who sends you out for the rainbow thread .
And i still have no idea how to access them.

The description says i have to brave 10 times which i did but got nothing .

Is it supposed to be 10 braves in one fight or cumulative ?

So here is a noob question :

How can i use specials ?

I am currently at chapter 1
at the Yullyana sage who sends you out for the rainbow thread .
And i still have no idea how to access them.

The description says i have to brave 10 times which i did but got nothing .

Is it supposed to be 10 braves in one fight or cumulative ?

cumulative without switching weapon types.

Thorgal

cumulative without switching weapon types.

Well i just tried it and it is not working .

I default 3 times then brave 3 times in a fight and then repeat that in the next fight up until i am sure i braved 10 times but the special command does not appear.

Also , i did not switch weapon types .

Well i just tried it and it is not working .

I default 3 times then brave 3 times in a fight and then repeat that in the next fight up until i am sure i braved 10 times but the special command does not appear.

Also , i did not switch weapon types .

are you sure this is the right weapon? I don't recall ever using katana's in ch1 (they are the only weapon's special that is built up by defaulting).

each weapon has different requirements you can see in special menu.

sword is 10 attacks.
dagger is 10 item uses
staff is 10 heals

etc.

Thorgal

are you sure this is the right weapon? I don't recall ever using katana's in ch1 (they are the only weapon's special that is built up by defaulting).

each weapon has different requirements you can see in special menu.

sword is 10 attacks.
dagger is 10 item uses
staff is 10 heals

etc.

I figured it out !

I was using the wrong requirements for their weapons .

Thanks !

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I made it to the dreaded chapter 5, and then did a bit of peeking ahead of what I had to do... ugh. It's such a shame since I was totally enamored with the game up to this point. Now I'm just grinding levels/jobs for a bit and then will probably just power level through the rest of the game and move on to something else.

I don't think chapter 5/6 have been that bad for me.

But then, I knew beforehand vaguely what was coming. If I hadn't known, I probably would have reacted less indifferently to it.

royox

So I made it to the dreaded chapter 5, and then did a bit of peeking ahead of what I had to do... ugh. It's such a shame since I was totally enamored with the game up to this point. Now I'm just grinding levels/jobs for a bit and then will probably just power level through the rest of the game and move on to something else.

Just keep playing. Ch7 and 8 have the best battles of the game.

KHlover

Banned
I think I must be the slowest player in the world. I'm currently at ~100hrs and haven't even finished my 2nd playthrough yet. Or mastered all jobs. Or collected all items. Or learned all E.Skills. Or created all Salvemaker stuff. Or beaten the secret boss. Or beaten all Nemeses. Or encountered all enemies...

I'll never reach 100% completition, will I?

Shun

I've had the game for a while and I slowly got up to chapter 5. I don't see the hate for it, I mean the things that really stand out are revisiting the towns and interacting with the villagers. Those small things really tie up loose ends and give insight.

Like what the fuck, Olivia is still dead? I feel so bad for Agnes considering nearly everyone else is still alive.
Same with Kamiizumi and Braev Lee's backstory and love interest.

There's a lot to rediscover and if you aren't picking up on those side quests and dialogue, it's a shame that you're missing out.

Falk

that puzzling face
Didn't have problems with Ch5/6 either and I went in blind.
It was like groundhog day and exploring 'what-if' routes, like what happens if Olivia survives, what happens if the characters died, what happens if the Duchy fragmented, etc. It's probably because of visual novel culture and exploring branching, alternative storylines in the same setting that I remained intrigued throughout

Would probably have a much more sour opinion without 4x speed, auto-battle and encounter rate slider though.

FluxWaveZ

(Final Chapter spoilers) What's the ideal level to face
perfect final form Airy
?

On Normal and at level 69-70, I'm getting decimated and I've only been able to
reach the beginning of phase 2 when she regenerates all of her health. Other than that, Rampage is absolutely destroying me (I try to use Rampart, but Edea's too slow as a Templar and it takes 2 BP) and that gimmick of hers where she Defaults and then Braves in the next turn, making everyone vulnerable to elemental magic and casting that flame, absolutely kills everyone.

She's probably not even where the final battle ends, too.

Probably gonna end up lowering this to Easy just to see it through.

Wazzy

Banned
Yeah dude...wait until
Chapter 6

XjYPRoO.png

Oh well. I'm just grinding levels and jobs for now.

Soriku

(Final Chapter spoilers) What's the ideal level to face
perfect final form Airy
?

On Normal and at level 69-70, I'm getting decimated and I've only been able to
reach the beginning of phase 2 when she regenerates all of her health. Other than that, Rampage is absolutely destroying me (I try to use Rampart, but Edea's too slow as a Templar and it takes 2 BP) and that gimmick of hers where she Defaults and then Braves in the next turn, making everyone vulnerable to elemental magic and casting that flame, absolutely kills everyone.

She's probably not even where the final battle ends, too.

Probably gonna end up lowering this to Easy just to see it through.

I thought you quit the game!

I beat her on lvl ~90 on Hard. No idea how hard she is on Normal, but I did find her to be surprisingly powerful. She's even more powerful than the final boss. I ended up losing the first time.

If you actually want to beat her on Normal, I'd try putting Hermes Shoes or at least Hermes Sandals on Edea if you have them to increase her speed. Maybe get Speed +10% from Thief as well. With Airy's elemental attack, I can only recommend getting Enigma from Spiritmaster, which nullifies all elemental damage for four turns. However, it's a lvl 13 skill so you'd have to do some grinding. I also find Stillness, a lvl 8 Spiritmaster skill (which nullifies all damage for both sides for two turns), a great skill too, and not just for this fight.

FluxWaveZ

I thought you quit the game!

Nah, when I said "I'm done", I meant that I'm going to critical path this game like a mofo and not do anything else anymore because I want it to be over.

So:
Tiz is a master Monk with master Pirate abilities for Skull Bash and Shin Smash.

Agnès is a master Spiritmaster with master White Mage abilities. The problem, though, is that while Stillness is handy when Airy is doing her thing, it's pretty much just useful for banking up BP. That would be nice, but the fact is that Airy has the tendency to repeat the same thing, so the cycle goes: Airy Defaults > Stillness > Party Defaults > Airy Reduces Elemental Weaknesses > Airy casts flame for 0 dmg > Airy Defaults... I don't see how to break the cycle. I might have to try using Minus Strike with Ringabel in an effective way if I'm to do any real damage while Airy has defaulted and before Agnès can cast Stillness...

Ringabel is a level 12 Black Knight with Freelancer abilities just for Examine, because I don't like it when I don't know the enemy's health.

Edea is a master Templar with level 6 Performer abilities. She's dual wielding shields, so she's just there for buffs (a lot of One More For You for Agnès and Rampart.

I've kind of tried applying the strategy you've suggested, which is basically reduce Airy's speed with Tiz's Shin Smash, nullify Airy's Rampage with Edea's Rampart, try to nullify status ailments with Fairy Ward and reduce elemental damage with Enigma or even Greater Spirit Ward (since Enigma is really hard to do without putting Agnès in the BP negative), with Ringabel casting Black Bane and Minus Strike and Edea also speeding the party up and buffing phys or mag resistance, but never attacking.

Still, it's not enough despite trying multiple permutations. Shields that nullify fire/ice damage won't even work because of Airy reducing all elemental damage right before casting her flame, which doesn't even give me a chance to cast Greater Spirit Ward or Enigma after she Defaults. Maybe I'm underleveled, or my combination just is really terrible.

Tripon

So I've been getting multiple street passes over the internet with max 999999. Some people are too hardcore for this game.

Tom_Cody

Can someone explain the mechanics of Spirit Barrier to me?

I am towards the end of the Florem section of the game and I have started to encounter tricky bosses/Nemeses. What's the deal when you attack an enemy and they either gain HP (green numbers) or gain MP (purple numbers [this is a guess as to what purple numbers mean])?

I tried to look in the in-game guide for the first time ever but I couldn't figure what is going on.

Soriku

Nah, when I said "I'm done", I meant that I'm going to critical path this game like a mofo and not do anything else anymore because I want it to be over.

So:

Your issue might be that you need more BP. In that case I highly recommend getting Hasten World from Time Mage so your party will recover 2 BP per turn. In addition, Low Leverage from Merchant would be very useful as it lowers everything by half (MP cost/BP cost/damage on both sides).

During this fight, when I had Stillness on, I'd use Enigma then refresh it when it was close to running out (usually after I used Stillness again to recover BP before my next onslaught).

During Stillness you definitely want to set your party up with buffs or whatever, and refresh Enigma. Sometimes I'd even keep refreshing Stillness every turn in some cases where I needed more time.

After your set up, go all out with your attacks, but make sure your Spiritmaster can use Stillness again the next turn.

FluxWaveZ

During Stillness you definitely want to set your party up with buffs or whatever, and refresh Enigma. Sometimes I'd even keep refreshing Stillness every turn in some cases where I needed more time.

That Time Magic sounds useful, but then I'd have to figure out who would have the role. Agnès is the highest Time Mage so far, but she kinda has to be the Spiritmaster and White Mage here. Guess I could assign it to Edea but, man, I wanted to avoid grinding.

But did you not have any problems with the boss totally circumventing the effects of Enigma immediately when they make the whole party weak to elemental damage? I stopped trying to cast it after the boss Defaults because they would immediately counter its effects by casting Acedia and then Zeta Flare right after.

Soriku

That Time Magic sounds useful, but then I'd have to figure out who would have the role. Agnès is the highest Time Mage so far, but she kinda has to be the Spiritmaster and White Mage here. Guess I could assign it to Edea but, man, I wanted to avoid grinding.

But did you not have any problems with the boss totally circumventing the effects of Enigma immediately when they make the whole party weak to elemental damage? I stopped trying to cast it after the boss Defaults because they would immediately counter its effects by casting Acedia and then Zeta Flare right after.

I could've sworn Acedia doesn't remove Enigma. I might be remembering wrong though.

In that case, it depends on how much damage it does. If it kills 1-2 of your party members it should probably be OK, so long as it doesn't kill your Spiritmaster. Otherwise you're screwed. If your Spiritmaster can survive and cast Stillness ASAP before the boss can move again, you're good. Take that time to revive/heal/buff. You might need to use Stillness directly the next turn but it may not be a problem with Hasten World.

Hastega from Time Mage is very useful btw to make your party act before the boss. And I think I'll also mention Salvemaker's Compound. Beast Liver + Dragon Fang I believe the item is called will create a Giant's Draft which doubles your max HP.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Skipped sidequest in ch 6 and went straight for ch. 7

Now we're talking!

eznark

Banned
Played the game incessantly the week it came out. Got to the fashion show thing and basically haven't picked it up in weeks. Just killed my interest.

When you get to Florem, the main story is very weak, but I really liked the sidequests at that part of the game. One of them is surpisingly dark.

Tom_Cody

Can someone explain the mechanics of Spirit Barrier to me?

I am towards the end of the Florem section of the game and I have started to encounter tricky bosses/Nemeses. What's the deal when you attack an enemy and they either gain HP (green numbers) or gain MP (purple numbers [this is a guess as to what purple numbers mean])?

I tried to look in the in-game guide for the first time ever but I couldn't figure what is going on.
Anyone?

Maybe my question is too broad.

Top Bottom