• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Tom_Cody

can't think of that mechanic off the top of my head, and haven't touched nemesis's, could you give an example?
I don't know how to describe it much differently from what I wrote before. Here's this:

I attack an enemy and instead of taking damage (white numbers) the enemy heals (green numbers) or purple numbers appear (I don't really understand what this means).

Again, maybe this it too general a question, but I don't know what to do when enemies cease to take damage from my attacks. I don't know what abilities they are using and I don't know how to deal with these situation.

Niahak

Anyone?

Maybe my question is too broad.

IIRC, Spirit barrier means that when you do damage to the enemy for the next X turns (I think 10?), instead of HP damage it's taken as 10% MP damage. So instead of taking 1000 physical damage, they lose 100 MP.

So you can either beat down their MP totals (and use Aspir abilities with casters to help out) or you can wait out the ability. Dispel might get rid of it, I don't recall.

I don't know how to describe it much differently from what I wrote before. Here's this:

I attack an enemy and instead of taking damage (white numbers) the enemy heals (green numbers) or purple numbers appear (I don't really understand what this means).

Again, maybe this it too general a question, but I don't know what to do when enemies cease to take damage from my attacks. I don't know what abilities they are using and I don't know how to deal with these situation.

k remember spirit barrier, its a valkyrie skill, and some bosses use it.

just guard away until it expires.

some attacks heal enemies because of affinity, aka the very first temple boss (2headed dog, ice and fire) kinda drills that into your head if you bothered using mages.

demidar

IIRC, Spirit barrier means that when you do damage to the enemy for the next X turns (I think 10?), instead of HP damage it's taken as 10% MP damage. So instead of taking 1000 physical damage, they lose 100 MP.

So you can either beat down their MP totals (and use Aspir abilities with casters to help out) or you can wait out the ability. Dispel might get rid of it, I don't recall.

I don't think you get Dispel that early in the game.

Tom_Cody

Spirit Barrier: Become impervious to damage for ten turns by sacrificing MP equal to 10% of the damage you suffered.

Source

k remember spirit barrier, its a valkyrie skill, and some bosses use it.

just guard away until it expires.

some attacks heal enemies because of affinity, aka the very first temple boss (2headed dog, ice and fire) kinda drills that into your head if you bothered using mages.
Thanks guys.

I googled this a bit as well and I agree that I was dealing with a combination of Spirit Barrier and Affinity issues.

Regarding Spirit Barrier, I now know to just attack until the MP is depleted, use MP draining attacks, or simply Default until it expires. When I encountered this before I just Defaulted but that felt cheap since the enemy could just use the technique again. At least I now know that I can have agency in that situation.

Regarding Affinity, I didn't know that was a thing. I never misused magic against the first temple boss. I guess I now know to be sure to use examine to pay attention to this in situations where it is less obvious.

Labadal

Chapter 8,
Eisenberg bosses.
Good lord that's a tough team to crack.
Any strats?

Dual Shielding Knight with poison immunity. Have a Ninja use Kairai. Get rid of Praline and save Qada for last. Use a Utsetsemi/Kairai when he is alone.

I tried to get rid of Qada first, but that is a stupid strategy. Have the other two characters be what you want. I used a Swordmaster and a WM.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Qada's dark breath is fucking me up my tank. I guess I gotta take counters off my guys, thanks.

Espada

I feel like time mage is a class that becomes useful later, am i right?

And whats the purpose of the merchant class?

Time Mage is junk, but their magic and passive Hasten World ability is awesome.

Merchant is just for exploiting Big Pharma + More Money for huge amounts of cash.

In general classes break down into one of three groups: Great as a primary (great stats, gear, passive ability), great as a secondary (excellent active abilities, like Sword Magic), or useful only for the passive abilities you learn from them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Time Magic is pretty weak in this game too. Maybe Meteor is good but I gave up on Time Magic before I really used that. Earth elemental magic didn't seem all that useful, Haste/Slow didn't really help much when you were already faster than most enemies. Maybe on hard time magic shines more.

And if you have tons and tons of money Merchant makes for a pretty good secondary class. Halve damage taken with hedge risk, BP drinks, and of course the low leverage. Pay to Play could also be useful for Ninjas using Ikkikasei, and probably some other cases too.

backlot

I've got a question about one of the later classes.
Can the Vampire class only absorb one Genome skill per battle? I'm fighting Orthros and I can get Hellfire but not Deep Freeze.

FluxWaveZ

Fucking Disaster.

Final Boss Spoilers:
I am THIS close to finishing the game, yet I've spent 2-3 hours only to be cockblocked by that goddamn spell. Goddammit. I don't want to have to go back out and grind again to learn reraise or something just for this.

Protag

Banned
Time Mage is junk, but their magic and passive Hasten World ability is awesome.

Merchant is just for exploiting Big Pharma + More Money for huge amounts of cash.

In general classes break down into one of three groups: Great as a primary (great stats, gear, passive ability), great as a secondary (excellent active abilities, like Sword Magic), or useful only for the passive abilities you learn from them.

Thank you

Any tips for mephilia on hard?

royox

Fucking Disaster.

Final Boss Spoilers:
I am THIS close to finishing the game, yet I've spent 2-3 hours only to be cockblocked by that goddamn spell. Goddammit. I don't want to have to go back out and grind again to learn reraise or something just for this.

I remember surviving that...somehow...every single time he/she/it used that spell....and every time I was like "Holy shit how the hell am I still alive?"

I was playing on Hard and lvl99 (lvl14 jobs) on my whole party. Nobody had the blessed 9999hp.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So, uhm, help with the Fire Nation boss?

This guy is kicking my ass. The problem is that damn near team-wipe, it usually leaves my Time Mage and Valkarye alive at like half health, but then as soon as I have the TM try to revive and heal the party he just Braves and then saps her to unconsciousness.

FluxWaveZ

I remember surviving that...somehow...every single time he/she/it used that spell....and every time I was like "Holy shit how the hell am I still alive?"

I was playing on Hard and lvl99 (lvl14 jobs) on my whole party. Nobody had the blessed 9999hp.

I ended up having to cheese it by making sure every party member was faster than the boss, but that my Spiritmaster was slower than the rest of them and that one of them had the "One More For You" skill so that I could continuously cast "Stillness" during the battle while also doing damage to the boss before it was cast.

Disappointing experience overall, despite how much I enjoyed the battle system.

I'm rather intrigued for the sequel, though, and if they're taking fan input seriously it might turn out to be something great.
That teaser for Bravely Second at the end was cool.

Soriku

Time Magic is pretty weak in this game too. Maybe Meteor is good but I gave up on Time Magic before I really used that. Earth elemental magic didn't seem all that useful, Haste/Slow didn't really help much when you were already faster than most enemies. Maybe on hard time magic shines more.

And if you have tons and tons of money Merchant makes for a pretty good secondary class. Halve damage taken with hedge risk, BP drinks, and of course the low leverage. Pay to Play could also be useful for Ninjas using Ikkikasei, and probably some other cases too.

Now I think I see why you've been hating on Time Magic :p I am on Hard mode and bosses can move really fast. I have Hermes Shoes on two of my characters and Hermes Sandals on one and even then bosses can move before at least 2 of my characters. Hastega has saved my numerous times. Nothing better than being able to put up Stillness before the boss can react
:)

With Meteor, YMMV, but with my setup it was very useful for added damage. Really helped during boss groups, and if you can hit a single boss with 4x Meteor that hit for 9999 each, that's good too.

Fucking Disaster.

Final Boss Spoilers:

Stillness, Enigma, Hermes Shoes/Sandals and Hastega, Low Leverage, Giant's Drafts. Lol.

So, uhm, help with the Fire Nation boss?

This guy is kicking my ass. The problem is that damn near team-wipe, it usually leaves my Time Mage and Valkarye alive at like half health, but then as soon as I have the TM try to revive and heal the party he just Braves and then saps her to unconsciousness.

You mean the crystal boss? Equip Hermes Shoes/Sandals if you have them and use Haste or Hastega to move faster.

Shun

Quick question regarding chapter 5 and 6, if I kill the bosses in Chapter 5 will I get to fight all of them again in Chapter 6? For example I kill Victor and Victoria in Ch 5, can I fight them again in Ch 6?

If not I'll just wait till chapter 6 to kill them all again for the superior steals.

Do I lose anything for postponing the battles a chapter?

demidar

Quick question regarding chapter 5 and 6, if I kill the bosses in Chapter 5 will I get to fight all of them again in Chapter 6? For example I kill Victor and Victoria in Ch 5, can I fight them again in Ch 6?

If not I'll just wait till chapter 6 to kill them all again for the superior steals.

Do I lose anything for postponing the battles a chapter?

Yes you can re-fight them.

All you lose is JP.

Also, remember to raise a Thief, get the Rob Blind skill and start stealing from bosses in chapter 7.

Anyone?

Maybe my question is too broad.

There are probably two things going on here.

Spirit Barrier lasts for 10 turns and lets you or your enemy use MP instead of HP when you are hit (at 10% of the damage). So you can still die, but you are taking much less damage.

The other thing going on is probably a nemesis with an elemental strength. When you hit something strong to fire with a fire attack, you will actually heal them instead of doing damage.

Shun

Yes you can re-fight them.

All you lose is JP.

Also, remember to raise a Thief, get the Rob Blind skill and start stealing from bosses in chapter 7.

So can I steal each chapter or should I wait till Chapter 7 to steal items?

I'm guessing I can rechallenge all them again, yes!

demidar

So can I steal each chapter or should I wait till Chapter 7 to steal items?

I'm guessing I can rechallenge all them again, yes!

You can, but I don't think chapter 5/6 fights give good stolen stuff (try stealing from a boss to check). Chapter 7 gives some of the best equipment in the game, so the fights go from "kill as quickly as possible" to "survive long enough to steal all their shit then kill them".

Shun

You can, but I don't think chapter 5/6 fights give good stolen stuff (try stealing from a boss to check). Chapter 7 gives some of the best equipment in the game, so the fights go from "kill as quickly as possible" to "survive long enough to steal all their shit then kill them".

Got it, I've been making it a habit to steal anyway for bosses.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, bosses in chapter 7 are serious business.

Soriku

OK I've tried out the semicolon bosses in Norende.

Be Mine;White Fox (lvl 99 Barras and Holly) can be tricky because Barras can kill your party in 1-2 hits. For some reason he wasn't taking much damage from Rage even though I don't think his physical defense was that high. I just set my party up so my Spiritmaster can go last but can still go before Holly/Barras by using Hastega. I just killed Holly with Rage and killed Barras with Meteor.

Early Spring;Teddy was against three lvl 99 Automatons (at least on Hard mode. I know in the story when you do the Automaton battle, you only fight two if you're below Hard, but three on Hard). These guys hit really hard and multiple times. They can also Overclock which notably raises their speed by 150%. Even with a fast party the Automatons will go first unless you cast Hastega and 3x Slowga (to get their speed down from 150% to 75%). They can heal for 9999 which made the battle last really long while using Rage. Eventually I decided to use Minus Strike 4x with Edea, and she was doing like 7-8k damage per hit with it which really helped wrap the battle up. Previously I never used Minus Strike but now I'm thinking it could've been useful in some other fights with some setup.

I also have a Japanese Beelzebub where you fight a lvl 99 Kamiizumi. He has 1.62 million HP which is the largest HP figure I've seen in the game by far. The next highest HP value I've seen was
the Adventurer
and he only had 700k+ HP.

I have the battle on hold right now. He hits hard but he's not really tough if you just use Hastega + Slowga. His physical defense is 9999 (it's funny since his other stats are below 1000. Holly's magic defense was 9999 too. Huge difference) so Rage is useless. I can make my party act first with 4x Meteor, and I'll have to try out Minus Strike, and then my Spiritmaster uses Stillness before he attacks. Rinse, repeat. Seems more of a long fight than a tough one.

Edit: Crap he counters Minus Strike. Oh well!

I'm doing the hall of fame thing, and I'm seriously burned out. Third playthrough in the span of a few months. I just want to get this over with so I can move on to other games. Bravely Quests seem to be over at least?

Sinoox

Banned
Beat this yesterday, can't believe how they pulled off the last few chapters. What the hell was that?! I don't mind the idea, it's just how it was executed, it was ridiculously tedious to the point where I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing.

Other than that the game was freaking amazing, absolutely loved the characters, the art, the music, and especially the battle system which was the saving grace at the end of the game. It's everything you could want from a JRPG and I'm going to be pissed if they take years to localize the second game over in the west.

They could make up for the wait for Bravely Second if they just brought over some Dragon Quest remakes.

a bit underwhelmed after beating every asterisk boss again in ch6. Only a few of them have any real different dialogue... and that does remind me that sidequests stuff in this game suck storywise.

Each usually have some neat premise... but they all feel like, you accidentally press skip on the cutscene post battle or something... the dude just dies... and its kinda over and you leave.

I feel like some of these characters deserve a bit more postmortem dialogue/discussion.

Ri'Orius

Alright, I think I'm finished. I've gotten two different endings
shattering the crystal (I felt really clever finding this in the second world!)]
and
traversing all the worlds and finally defeating Oroboros, and seeing the Bravely Second teaser.
I'm level 80ish, I've unlocked all the jobs and mastered most of them on at least one of my characters. I went through the
crescent island dungeon
. Is there anything else to do? Optional bosses? Are Nemeses worthwhile? I mean, I've put 90 hours into the game, so I don't really expect more, but if there's something I've missed I'd hate to have gotten this far and missed out on something.

I'll definitely agree that the game dragged on quite a bit. If they'd gone into a bit more depth in
each world
it would've helped; I'm still annoyed that
you never run into your counterparts, or even hear much of what they're up to (except Ringabel/Alternis obviously).
And the game could probably have used one less
world before the ending
to tighten things up. And I was disappointed at the
chest key: it just randomly showed up, whereas I'd been hoping there'd be a sidequest, or it'd be the Master-level Thief skill or something
. But on the whole I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I loved being able to turn off random battles. I had 'em at 50% for the first half of the game and 0% for the second. I still took 90hrs to get through the game: Airy only knows how long it'd've taken if I hadn't!

And I found a pretty unbeatable strat three quarters of the way through that made most of the game a breeze. I've heard people mention it in the thread (haven't read much; I didn't want to spoil anything until I was done), but Stillness is just invincible.

Throw around enough Fox Tails (if you don't care about PAtk you can dual-wield these for the Agi without needing Axe Lore or Dual Wield), Hermes Shoes and Speed +X%s passives and you can easily get three party members faster than any enemy (Hard mode, bosses included) I ever encountered. Have your slowest of these three godly-fast characters (Agnes for me) use Stillness while the other two (Tiz and Ringabel) deal damage (Godspeed Strike is nice, since your speed is already cra-cray). Use Hasten World so you can keep Stillness up at all times. Use your last character for buffs, BP, heals if you need them: mostly Edea just twiddled her thumbs.

I had some trouble with status effects, but once I had Ringabel hooked up with some Spiritmaster levels he could keep up Fairy Ward indefinitely (Agnes could juggle Fairy Ward and Stillness, but putting it on Ringabel let me put it up on turn one). And counterattacks could cause me some annoyance, but really it just slowed me down: Edea and Agnes weren't attacking, so they were invincible and could just raise the boys after every attack. The Ninja boss used Shippujinrai on occasion, which could've ruined my day if she'd kept it up, and one of the random encounters had a First Thrust skill that behaved similarly and put me closer to dying than any of the final bosses.

I've tried some of the semicolon'd lv99 Nemeses with this setup and haven't broken a sweat. I'll probably check out some others, but that aside I may be ready to put this game down.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Alright, I think I'm finished. I've gotten two different endings
shattering the crystal (I felt really clever finding this in the second world!)]
and
traversing all the worlds and finally defeating Oroboros, and seeing the Bravely Second teaser.
I'm level 80ish, I've unlocked all the jobs and mastered most of them on at least one of my characters. I went through the
crescent island dungeon
. Is there anything else to do? Optional bosses? Are Nemeses worthwhile? I mean, I've put 90 hours into the game, so I don't really expect more, but if there's something I've missed I'd hate to have gotten this far and missed out on something.

There's an optional boss in the bonus dungeon if you didn't fight it already.
The very last chest, you can walk into the wall behind it which will take you to the boss
. If you've done that, not much really unless you want to fill up the equipment/bestiary/etc sections of the journal.

OK I've tried out the semicolon bosses in Norende.

Be Mine;White Fox (lvl 99 Barras and Holly) can be tricky because Barras can kill your party in 1-2 hits. For some reason he wasn't taking much damage from Rage even though I don't think his physical defense was that high. I just set my party up so my Spiritmaster can go last but can still go before Holly/Barras by using Hastega. I just killed Holly with Rage and killed Barras with Meteor.

Early Spring;Teddy was against three lvl 99 Automatons (at least on Hard mode. I know in the story when you do the Automaton battle, you only fight two if you're below Hard, but three on Hard). These guys hit really hard and multiple times. They can also Overclock which notably raises their speed by 150%. Even with a fast party the Automatons will go first unless you cast Hastega and 3x Slowga (to get their speed down from 150% to 75%). They can heal for 9999 which made the battle last really long while using Rage. Eventually I decided to use Minus Strike 4x with Edea, and she was doing like 7-8k damage per hit with it which really helped wrap the battle up. Previously I never used Minus Strike but now I'm thinking it could've been useful in some other fights with some setup.

I also have a Japanese Beelzebub where you fight a lvl 99 Kamiizumi. He has 1.62 million HP which is the largest HP figure I've seen in the game by far. The next highest HP value I've seen was
the Adventurer
and he only had 700k+ HP.

I have the battle on hold right now. He hits hard but he's not really tough if you just use Hastega + Slowga. His physical defense is 9999 (it's funny since his other stats are below 1000. Holly's magic defense was 9999 too. Huge difference) so Rage is useless. I can make my party act first with 4x Meteor, and I'll have to try out Minus Strike, and then my Spiritmaster uses Stillness before he attacks. Rinse, repeat. Seems more of a long fight than a tough one.

Edit: Crap he counters Minus Strike. Oh well!

most of the harder nemesis battles pretty much require you to set up a stillness loop, then you can turn on auto and take a break while slowly chipping away HP

Woo! Finally got Edea. It kind of sucks you start with a really sparse selection of Jobs. With just having Monk, White Mage, and Black Mage there's not much to choose from especially if I want to keep her a strong sword fighter. What did you guys start her with when you first got her?

Woo! Finally got Edea. It kind of sucks you start with a really sparse selection of Jobs. With just having Monk, White Mage, and Black Mage there's not much to choose from especially if I want to keep her a strong sword fighter. What did you guys start her with when you first got her?
Monks. Everywhere.

Posted in community thread by accident, I just started this up, only a couple hours in, I just dont know if I can get into it, I love the art and the combat but the Brave and Default are throwing me off, Im not really how to make use of them, Im pretty much just spamming brave on all besides the one boss I faced (black mage), was just a bit more careful, feels like Im playing it wrong, tips?

Top Bottom