• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Wazzy

Banned
Posted in community thread by accident, I just started this up, only a couple hours in, I just dont know if I can get into it, I love the art and the combat but the Brave and Default are throwing me off, Im not really how to make use of them, Im pretty much just spamming brave on all besides the one boss I faced (black mage), was just a bit more careful, feels like Im playing it wrong, tips?
You'll have to default against many bosses. Defaulting increases your BP plus it lowers damage. Play more and you'll see.

Wazzy

Banned
Level 99 and a huge portion of jobs mastered. I guess I'll go do vampire side quest and then continue with the game.
You don't have to. I always went into the red, and paid the price, but I rarely died against bosses.
Eh. One of the crystal bosses was pretty hard to beat without defaulting. I mean, once you get certain jobs you don't need to default because they're so powerful but I wouldn't say you never have to default.

Soriku

Got Cute Pi;Wooly Bull from SE. Lvl 99
DeRosso and Victor.

Not very hard. Just took a while since they had 9999 phys. defense.

Also what do the titles of these nemeses even mean?

Yay, I finished the game! Both the regular ending and the true ending.
I really like how everything, including the friend summons and even the 3DS came, came together in the true ending. As for the bosses, I was able to breeze through the Larva and Pupae forms, since I fought them in the normal ending. (Tiz: Dark Knight, Templar; Agnes: Spiritmaster/White Mage; Ringabel: Conjurer/Black Mage; Edea: Pirate/Swordmaster) Her third form was a bit of a challenge, since her Slaughter attack hits much harder, and she does that annoying weak-all/flare combo in one turn. I also managed to get an effective Enigma off after she did the Weak-all spell by itself, which allowed me to follow-up with a 4x Dark Nebula combo.

For Ouroboros, I changed my party's jobs, with Agnes becoming a Time Mage/White Mage, and Ringabel as a Spiritmaster/Black Mage. That way, I could get protection with Stillness/Enigma and Reraise from Time Magic. The first three phases went pretty quickly, thanks to the Free Lunch/Amped Strike combo, Giant Slayer, Blizzaga, etc. The fourth phase was somewhat tough, since the Armageddon attacks were tough to predict, but I kept up Reraise on everyone. I was even able to use a well-timed Stillness for the third Armageddon casting. The final phase hit pretty hard, but with Reraise, Giant Slayer, MDef-piercing Blizzaga, and Free Lunch/Amped Strike, he eventually fell, with Tiz delivering the final blow.

I liked how the scenes in the True Ending's credits differed from the scenes in the regular credits. That made it worth getting both endings. The special movie was neat too, though they managed to mispronounce Ba'al Buster in the worst possible way. XD

Chapter 5:

Are the boss rematches in Ch5/6 necessary for the later rematches that actually reward anything worth the effort? The Conjurer quest for example.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 5:

Are the boss rematches in Ch5/6 necessary for the later rematches that actually reward anything worth the effort? The Conjurer quest for example.

You can skip everything, nothing is really missable except bits and pieces of character development for the asterisk holders. Chapter 6 is where you can first get Conjurer though, and it's easier in that chapter since
Yulyana fights alone
. There's also a fun fight in that chapter but it's part of that sidequest anyway.

Chapter 7 and 8 have great sidequest fights though, assuming you like fighting bosses in the first place. So I'd recommend those in that case. 5 and 6 are largely boring and pointless in comparison.

You can skip everything, nothing is really missable except bits and pieces of character development for the asterisk holders. Chapter 6 is where you can first get Conjurer though, and it's easier in that chapter since
Yulyana fights alone
. There's also a fun fight in that chapter but it's part of that sidequest anyway.

Chapter 7 and 8 have great sidequest fights though, assuming you like fighting bosses in the first place. So I'd recommend those in that case. 5 and 6 are largely boring and pointless in comparison.

Thanks!

I'd read the steal loot was good in 7/8, so I had planned on doing that, but in 5 at least there really seemed to be little to no reason to do them outside of dialogue or being a requirement for 7/8.

ronito

Ok seriously guys. I'm pissed about this chapter 5 crap. Honestly, I was just fine with the game ending at chapter 4. But this is some shit.

Ok seriously guys. I'm pissed about this chapter 5 crap. Honestly, I was just fine with the game ending at chapter 4. But this is some shit.

You will just love Chapters 6, 7, and 8 then. ;)

Skip sidequests on Chapter 5 and most of them on Chapter 6 (Do the Conjurer one, it's great and worth it). Do sidequest bosses on Chapter 7 (great stealable items), skip Chapter 8 sidequest bosses unless you want a good challenge - they are some of the best fights in the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I loved chapters 7 and 8, probably my favorite part of the game. It's disappointing to see them get so much hate and be lumped in with 5 and 6.

Krelian

Question about the Vampire job: If I learn a Genome ability is it available for everyone right away or do I need to learn the abilities for each character individually? I changed all my guys to Vampire just in case but I have the feeling I didn't need to.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Question about the Vampire job: If I learn a Genome ability is it available for everyone right away or do I need to learn the abilities for each character individually? I changed all my guys to Vampire just in case but I have the feeling I didn't need to.

One character learns it for the party.

Still, having a whole party of Vampires does help for getting single target abilities since you never know who will be targeted.

Shiina

Unfortunately it doesn't get better and the writing takes a huge nosedive from that point as well.

Endgame spoilers:
I'm still pissed at how oblivious the cast is to the whole twist, even during the true end when they explicitly get told on multiple occasions that you-know-who isn't who they are claiming to be. Yet Ringabel, of all people, still acts surprised when the twist is laid completely bare, even though he completely regained his memory.

Actually following the Yulyana's, DeRosso's and Ringabel's advice leads you to the Bad End while doing nothing and continuing being a sheep leads you to the True End. It makes no sense at all. And Chapter 7 is entirely pointless, I don't think there is a single bit of story in it and it's annoying how they didn't bother changing the dialogue in the crystal chambers in the slightest during it.

The only reason I still found some fun in the last 4 chapters was because I broke the game's balance in half with my party and was able to one-turn all the crystal bosses.

KHlover

Banned
I loved chapters 7 and 8, probably my favorite part of the game. It's disappointing to see them get so much hate and be lumped in with 5 and 6.

Yeah. Tbqh, Chapter 6 shouldn't exist. Should have moved the Conjurer sidequest to Ch.5 and just called it a day. Maybe Vampire from 4 to 5, 4 had enough content as it is IMO and Ch.5 desperately needed it.

Ch.7 and Ch.8 were great, don't get the hate for those.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately it doesn't get better and the writing takes a huge nosedive from that point as well.

Endgame spoilers:
I'm still pissed at how oblivious the cast is to the whole twist, even during the true end when they explicitly get told on multiple occasions that you-know-who isn't who they are claiming to be. Yet Ringabel, of all people, still acts surprised when the twist is laid completely bare, even though he completely regained his memory.

Actually following the Yulyana's, DeRosso's and Ringabel's advice leads you to the Bad End while doing nothing and continuing being a sheep leads you to the True End. It makes no sense at all. And Chapter 7 is entirely pointless, I don't think there is a single bit of story in it and it's annoying how they didn't bother changing the dialogue in the crystal chambers in the slightest during it.

The only reason I still found some fun in the last 4 chapters was because I broke the game's balance in half with my party and was able to one-turn all the crystal bosses.

More endgame spoilers.

Actually the true ending makes sense from a "JRPG" standpoint, as well as a finality one. The bad/fake ending does nothing but stall Ouroboros. In the true ending the party is just dealing with the repetition until they can end everything at the source. They even make reference to this in Chapter 6 I think. So yeah, the real ending is incredibly dumb since the party definitely knows what's up but still acts totally shocked at the events that take place.

I also think they could have easily condensed everything in Chapters 5-8 into two chapters and still have it "work" as intended. The FTS/International version of the game shows that the developers took a lot of the criticism of the original to heart, so I'm hopeful that Bravely Second won't suffer from the same problem since the pacing and repetition in those chapters is the game's biggest flaw. The encounter slider and whatnot was just a bandaid fix at best.

I would have liked Chapters 7 and 8 more if
you didn't have to do the crystals yet again. They could have at least made new bosses for those or if the dialogue had changed... like at all. Chapter 6 had some added dialogue with Ringabel which I liked, but then nothing in Chapters 7 or 8 that I can recall. Same old drivel.

ronito

OK, what level do you need to be at to reasonably finish the game? Because the only way I'm gonna play this now is with 0% random encounters. I'm around level 47ish.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Higher than that probably. Even on normal mode the chapter 8 bosses and end-game bosses are threatening to a level 99 party with maxed out jobs. But that's because good strategy is more important than just grinding through everything in this game.

As long as you can make your party members faster than the enemies you can beat the game just by abusing the Spiritmaster's Stillness ability. Also, Valkyrie High Jumps + Hasten World might work if you're faster than the enemies.

I would really like to thank everyone here and elsewhere on the internet who described the last half of this game as soul-crushingly terrible and/or the worst thing ever. Thanks to that tempering my expectations, I only found myself mildly bored. Which, to be fair, I find myself feeling for more than just one half of most games released nowadays.

Just starting Chapter 5 and yeah...lots of enthusiasm towards the game down the drain, especially with the knowledge that much doesn't change for the next couple of chapters. Really a shame since the game up to this point had been pretty solid, minus a couple of really annoying sidequests.

njean777

I am at chapter 4 in the game and would like to know what compounds are used for. Maybe I missed the tutorial or just do not remember it, but I have no clue what any of this stuff is used for.

Tripon

I am at chapter 4 in the game and would like to know what compounds are used for. Maybe I missed the tutorial or just do not remember it, but I have no clue what any of this stuff is used for.

All sorts of stuff. Some heal, some do revive+heal, some do attacks, others do various status aliments, I think there's even an invincibility one. Google the salve maker's compound list to see what items you need.

njean777

All sorts of stuff. Some heal, some do revive+heal, some do attacks, others do various status aliments, I think there's even an invincibility one. Google the salve maker's compound list to see what items you need.

Where do I use them? during battle? Or do I have to mix them at a shop of some sort?

Soriku

Just starting Chapter 5 and yeah...lots of enthusiasm towards the game down the drain, especially with the knowledge that much doesn't change for the next couple of chapters. Really a shame since the game up to this point had been pretty solid, minus a couple of really annoying sidequests.

I don't really understand these comments from people who just started chapter 5. If you don't want to
repeat the sidequests
, and don't care to see the new dialogue, go
kill the crystal bosses
again. It's tedious, but at the same time it doesn't very long, especially if you take the time now to level up your jobs.

The most annoying thing is probably running through the dungeons again, though that can be mitigated by turning off encounters.

I'd at least recommend doing the sidequests in chapter 6 (there's a new one then too) for the new dialogue, but if not, getting to the more interesting chapters 7-8 can be done quickly.

Endgame spoilers:

The party isn't oblivious nor are they sheep. It's explained why
they keep reviving the crystals
in a scene.

Tiz: We do this to vanquish our foe. Our true enemy. The source of the great darkness.

Edea: How much longer must we suffer this sadness?

Ringabel: Just a little longer. Until that pattern heralds the great beginning.

Tiz: For now, we'll grit our teeth and bear it. Together. Until it's done.

Just
killing Airy doesn't do a lot. They're just delaying Ouroboro's return if they break the crystals.

The only thing I'd criticize is the fact that they're still surprised once
Airy transforms
, but I just took that as brief a lack of polish in the writing. But just on the subject of questioning
the crystal revivals
, there's no issue to what they were doing.

Also chapter 7 isn't pointless at all, from a sidequest standpoint. You
get to fight the asterisk holders in groups
, they have new dialogue, you see more to their relationships (or they form new ones), etc.

FluxWaveZ

The party isn't oblivious nor are they sheep. It's explained why
they keep reviving the crystals
in a scene.

Tiz: We do this to vanquish our foe. Our true enemy. The source of the great darkness.

Edea: How much longer must we suffer this sadness?

Ringabel: Just a little longer. Until that pattern heralds the great beginning.

Tiz: For now, we'll grit our teeth and bear it. Together. Until it's done.

Just
killing Airy doesn't do a lot. They're just delaying Ouroboro's return if they break the crystals.

They didn't know of Ourboros's existence and were aware that Airy was lying. How does it make sense not to confront her and go along with what she was saying knowing that?

Soriku

They didn't know of Ourboros's existence and were aware that Airy was lying. How does it make sense not to confront her and go along with what she was saying knowing that?

They were aware Airy was reviving something/bringing about the Hallowing. Ringabel mentioned that the number on Airy's wings kept decreasing with the more worlds they went through, and they were aware that Airy's goal was close.

They could've questioned her, but I'm not sure what that would've accomplished if they were going to wait anyway, It seems like they didn't want their suspicion to be apparent to her. And, while they may not necessarily know, that's smart as Airy might've transformed and killed them before the world counter reached 0.

Tripon

They were aware Airy was reviving something/bringing about the Hallowing. Ringabel mentioned that the number on Airy's wings kept decreasing with the more worlds they went through, and they were aware that Airy's goal was close.

They could've questioned her, but I'm not sure what that would've accomplished if they were going to wait anyway, It seems like they didn't want their suspicion to be apparent to her. And, while they may not necessarily know, that's smart as Airy might've transformed and killed them before the world counter reached 0.

Did the game ever explain why Airy decides this group is the one she tries to keep alive after murdering thousands of Warriors of Light groups? Airy had to know that this group was getting stronger and stronger.

Did the game ever explain why Airy decides this group is the one she tries to keep alive after murdering thousands of Warriors of Light groups? Airy had to know that this group was getting stronger and stronger.

Possibly she kept them alive because in chapter 7 Tiz, Agnes, Edea died, or something similar

Soriku

I don't think so. Maybe the other groups confronted her earlier.

The last group of WoL got slaughtered easily (she didn't even have to transform), and presumably the other ones were just as or even more pathetic. It wasn't until the current group confronted her that they stood a chance (having Ringabel may have made a difference lol).

Espada

One of Airy's defining traits is her arrogance. She simply continued on with the act with the idea she likely carried with the other groups: As long as they keep awakening the crystals, the act continues. Once they look behind the curtain, they die. She'd been doing this for so long she simply didn't see them as a threat.

Soriku

I got Leviathan from SE. Lvl 80 Nemesis, 400k+ HP.

Oh god...I had a really tough time with him until I learned his tricks. He has an attack called Consume Life which goes through Stillness that randomly kills 2-3 party members, which is a massive pain. Reraise and Hastega (or Slowness) from Time Mage were pretty much a necessity.

He has two forms, an aerial one and a ground one. In the aerial one you can't hit him with physical attacks (unless you use Summon Friend, apparently). In his aerial form he uses a skill called Envy every turn which decreases all your stats and removes buffs. Once he's done in his aerial form he'll waste a turn going down. The turn before that is when you put all your buffs in place, including Reraise, then attack once he goes down.

I just need Lucifer now.

I don't think so. Maybe the other groups confronted her earlier.

The last group of WoL got slaughtered easily (she didn't even have to transform), and presumably the other ones were just as or even more pathetic. It wasn't until the current group confronted her that they stood a chance (having Ringabel may have made a difference lol).

so what you're really saying is Ringabel is a boss

Soriku

so what you're really saying is Ringabel is a boss

Probably.

Hell in the true ending
he goes back to save Tiz, Edea, and Agnes. Considering he's on a different world than the other three in the ending though, I wonder how they plan to incorporate him in Bravely Second if they do...

Also, does anyone have any theories as to why Ringabel womanizes?
As Alternis he didn't really seem to care about any other girls except Edea.
I wonder if it's just a side effect of
not being able to protect her from Airy

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So yeah, still stuck on the goddamn fire crystal boss.
He wipes all of my team except the time/white mage, and then kills her next turn before she can revive anyone

He wipes all of my team except the time/white mage, and then kills her next turn before she can revive anyone

There's probably a valid strategy for fighting this asshole but what I did was
level up everyone to Salve Maker job level 4 so you get the increase the damage from attack items support ability, bought 32 Lumen Shards(I forget the name, it does lightning damage). Braved 4 times with each character at the start of the fight, used compounding and cast Pantheons Wrath 16 times. He died on the 12th or 13th cast.

duckroll

Finally made it to chapter 6. That was a real slog! Can't believe have minor the changes to all those battles were. Most of the dialogue was similar, and the bosses didn't have any new patterns or anything. At least I managed to use them as punching bags to test out various different job combinations. Otherwise... zzzzzzzzzzzz.

The only truly threatening attack he has is the Energy Burst move (1.5x physical damage to the entire party), which he only uses on the turn after he Transforms. I'd say the general strategy is:
Chaugmar starts the battle with his shield up.
- During this phase, he just uses single-target attacks to steal HP/MP/BP.
- His defenses are maxed while the shield is up (9999 for both stats), so just about everyone should be building up BP, and/or preparing their buffs or Sword Magic. The healer (or anyone with full BP) should heal whoever needs it with spells/items, so that their health stays full for the next phase.

After about four turns, Chaugmar uses Transform, bringing his shield down.
- DEFAULT with everyone, as the next turn will always be his Energy Burst attack. It's pretty tough to survive this without Defaulting.
- After he uses Energy Burst, heal/raise anybody who needs it. Start an all-out offensive (Thundara, Sword Magic) ASAP, as he'll only use single-target drain attacks again.

After about three or four turns, Chaugmar puts his shield back up. Rinse and repeat until he's dead.

Yea i just cant get into this, I love the art and love jrpg's but I cant stomach the story and the voice acting, Ill try to push on, ugh.

beaten!

god the story is probably the worst Tales story ever.

Buuuut fuck that ending, and that teaser for the sequel... lets just say its the best usage of a few of the key features of the 3ds system yet.

Finally made it to chapter 6. That was a real slog! Can't believe have minor the changes to all those battles were. Most of the dialogue was similar, and the bosses didn't have any new patterns or anything. At least I managed to use them as punching bags to test out various different job combinations. Otherwise... zzzzzzzzzzzz.

prepare for more zzzz in chapter 6, outside of 1 (maybe 2) battles

RiggyRob

Is there a website with the list of all the Nemeses that have been released / are scheduled to be released? Hell, I can't even find Bravely Default on the list of 3DS games on the EU Square Enix website.

The last Nemesis I got was Cutie Pi; Wooly Bull (
basically a harder version of the Chapter 7 DeRosso and Victor fight
), and I'd like to know if I can get Belphegor and Lucifer for Blizzaja and Aeroja.

Shiina

beaten!

god the story is probably the worst Tales story ever.

Buuuut fuck that ending, and that teaser for the sequel... lets just say its the best usage of a few of the key features of the 3ds system yet.

image.php

Top Bottom