• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Falk

that puzzling face
Am I able to get all the
Genome
abilities if I didn't get the
Vampire
job until
chapter 5
?

Unfortunately, no:
Mobs like Alraune only spawn pre-Ch5 and are replaced by higher level mobs in Ch5 onwards. If you're completionist you'll want to pick up everything else anyway then clean up in a NG+

Unfortunately, no:
Mobs like Alraune only spawn pre-Ch5 and are replaced by higher level mobs in Ch5 onwards. If you're completionist you'll want to pick up everything else anyway then clean up in a NG+

My understanding is that every monster is in the bonus dungeon. So the answer would actually be yes, but it's annoying. If I'm not mistaken.

Falk

that puzzling face
Whoops, you're right. At the point in the game I figured I screwed myself over on the crystal bosses for Genomes and I was so focused on just going through to NG+ for those that I went through the Bonus Dungeon with enemies turned off.

Tripon

Seriously, how does a majority of the Shieldbearers get stuck on the bridge against Praline+a bunch of grunts?

It's a choke point. The whole point is that the bridge is the dividing line between the Shieldbearers territory, and the Swordbearers territory.

BTW,
could you ever get into the swordbearers part of the bridge? I tried a couple of times, and then said fuck it.

By the way, does anybody remember that cool spoilery thing in the final battle?

When you see yourself in the Celestial Realm.

Before, I couldn't find a video to show it, but I ended up recording a battle here. If you stare hard, you should be able to see
me waving and stuff
: P

Well just got to chapter 5! I think I want to grind some jobs and exp before I tackle all of these side quests where is the best place?

Thanks guys!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well just got to chapter 5! I think I want to grind some jobs and exp before I tackle all of these side quests where is the best place?

Thanks guys!

Around Florem. Personally I used Florem Gardens since the second room and beyond seemed to give me the most Rafflesia (or whatever they are) mobs.

Nif

Beat this yesterday when I wanted to see what happened if I didn't stop praying (Chapter 6). I learned later that I could have continued a couple more times to get to the final boss. Is it worth it? I was starting to get frustrated by the repeating bosses nonsense. Liked the game overall except that part.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Beat this yesterday when I wanted to see what happened if I didn't stop praying (Chapter 6). I learned later that I could have continued a couple more times to get to the final boss. Is it worth it? I was starting to get frustrated by the repeating bosses nonsense. Liked the game overall except that part.

You don't have to do all the sidequests fights. In fact I'd recommend against doing most of them in Chapter 5 and 6 because there's so little difference.

Ignoring those, maybe aside from the couple interesting ones in Chapter 6 (
Yulyana for the last job, and the Venus sister trio fight
), you could probably rush through those chapters in 2-3 hours.

They are a lot better in Chapter 7 and 8, and I'd recommend continuing just for that if you enjoy the job and battle systems. I haven't had time to finish the game yet, but I doubt the story gets much better in the very last stretch and it's pretty blah anyway.

Hero

Chapters 5 and 6 were stinkers but the rest of the game was fantastic.

Regarding the ending:

Wtf happened to Tiz?

KHlover

Banned
Chapters 5 and 6 were stinkers but the rest of the game was fantastic.

Regarding the ending:

Wtf happened to Tiz? Is he dead?
Have you watched the special video after beating Ourobos? Go to the main menu and watch it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm edging myself forward on this. I'm at the part where
we have to make the Vestels cloth for the ritual. And Ringabel and the old man in the forest are quite the tandem.

So is it considered a cheap tactic to apply an elemental weakness to a boss via the second level want special then use triple bravely second specials with that weakness added and 30% power boost? Cause that's how I've beaten the past 2 bosses <.<

So is it considered a cheap tactic to apply an elemental weakness to a boss via the second level want special then use triple bravely second specials with that weakness added and 30% power boost? Cause that's how I've beaten the past 2 bosses <.<

There are no cheap tactics.

Soriku

This was playing during
the fight against Perfect Airy, wasn't it? So satisfying to slaughter that bitch to the tune of this track :D

Perfect Airy, as in her second form? That's Wicked Flight. Wicked Battle is her first form theme.

Then she also has Wicked Thing which also plays during her first form before she goes to the Dark Aurora (at least in the false ending. I don't know how her reveal works in the true ending just yet.). That one is a pretty cool guitar theme, but also has a hint of creepiness to it which is awesome.

All her battle themes are good.

FluxWaveZ

I just got to chapter 6 and... oh, boy.

So the boss rush side quests in chapter 5 were kind of a pain, but I still did them all for some reason. I guess I don't want to miss out on any potentially important aspects of the story if I've come this far? But I'm really wondering if I should do it all over again now that it seems to be the same crap for chapter 6.

Hell, I'm starting to think the same thing will happen in chapter 7.

Guess I understand what people have been complaining about now. Maybe I'll just rush through.

Soriku

I just got to chapter 6 and... oh, boy.

So the boss rush side quests in chapter 5 were kind of a pain, but I still did them all for some reason. I guess I don't want to miss out on any potentially important aspects of the story if I've come this far? But I'm really wondering if I should do it all over again now that it seems to be the same crap for chapter 6.

Hell, I'm starting to think the same thing will happen in chapter 7.

Guess I understand what people have been complaining about now. Maybe I'll just rush through.

Chapter 6 has a few extras like *dialogue spoilers*
Profiteur saying Ciggma wants money to pay for his daughter's treatment
and
Victor mentioning Victoria killed his father
, but not too much. If you've already done the battles in chapter 5, you won't be getting too much out of chapter 6, and vice versa.

Also, without spoiling much, no, chapter 7 and chapter 8 have twists to them in terms of dialogue and battles.

They definitely should've cut the game by one chapter. If they combined the stuff in chapter 5 and 6 that would've been better. I think chapter 7 and 8 are fine as standalone chapters.

I imagine many of the people saying the later chapters killed the game are mainly referring to chapter 5-6. But if you don't care much about the sidequests, you can finish them fast.

FluxWaveZ

Chapter 6 has a few extras like *dialogue spoilers*
Profiteur saying Ciggma wants money to pay for his daughter's treatment
and
Victor mentioning Victoria killed his father
, but not too much. If you've already done the battles in chapter 5, you won't be getting too much out of chapter 6, and vice versa.

Also, without spoiling much, no, chapter 7 and chapter 8 have twists to them in terms of dialogue and battles.

Yeah, I did the
white mage and monk
fight in chapter 6 and the ending for that one was fun, but not sure minor additions like that would be worth going through all of them again. With what you're saying, guess I won't have to.

And good to hear that chapter 7 will be different. Don't think I'd be able to handle it if it was yet another cycle of the same thing.

So, hypothetical topic of the day:
Do you think, if Eternia attempted a full-scale invasion of Luxendarc, that they would succeed?
(for this scenario, assume Edea was assigned elsewhere and therefore remained with the Eternians)

edit: meh.....this scenario seems likely to turn into Shieldbearers vs Eternia because the other regions are chumps

This game is HARD :(.

(early early spoilers)
I just got Ringabel into my party and I'm chasing after the black mage guy. In the area where he is(ruins of centro keep), there's Orcs that can 3-shot me. I have Tiz and Ringabel as freelancers and Agnes as a white mage with cure(who only does 4 damage if I attack with her). I upgraded their weapons and armor with what's available at the first town, but I'm still getting SERVED in that dungeon area with the Orcs. I understand the default/brave system and try to plan to my advantage, but it seems the Orcs can attack me and defend themselves within the same turn. I can't heal up/default enough before being killed off. I can still kill them most of the time, but a group of 3 destroys me. Should I try the Monk job with bare-handed? Or maybe I should just attack-attack-attack at the beginning of the turn and not worry about defaulting?
Any tips?

It's making me feel shitty because I'm usually really good at rpgs in general, but damn. This is the beginning too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Monk is going to be a lot stronger than Freelancer, and yeah, if you Brave 4x you can probably kill all of them before they get a chance to kill you. Don't do it with your healer, obviously, that way you can still heal if you don't finish them off.

Soriku

Yeah, I did the
white mage and monk
fight in chapter 6 and the ending for that one was fun, but not sure minor additions like that would be worth going through all of them again. With what you're saying, guess I won't have to.

And good to hear that chapter 7 will be different. Don't think I'd be able to handle it if it was yet another cycle of the same thing.

Forgot to mention, but you can do the Conjurer subquest in chapter 6 which is new. After
you meet with Yulyana in the Vestment Cave, go back to his house.

Also, in chapter 7/8,
you still go through another cycle but the dialogue and boss battles are different, though you're still fighting all the asterisk bosses again. Just not individually :)

x3r0123

Just beat the game. I was able to use a strategy I figured out to auto defeat the final boss. Was lvl 99 and mastered almost every job on every character. Loved every minute of it and cant wait for the sequel.

Two questions though
I got the true ending, does the fake ending reveal anything in particular? And second what was the deal with Tiz and the celestial spirit? Was that ever explained or did i miss somthing?

there was a celestial being inside Tiz the entire game. They hinted this with the summoner job and last boss

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Still in the fire nation, a few thoughts:
the cutscene about the journal deviations got me to read through it in detail (didn't realize entries had more then one page before) and you know...Ringabel is conspicuously absent from being mentioned in any of the proceedings. Is this leading towards the kind of awesome plot turn that I suspect it is?

Soriku

Hell yeah, beat
the Black Blades
in chapter 8.

I was having trouble with my standard strategy with Edea and Rage, so I decided to try something else. I gave Hermes Sandals to Tiz (Spiritmaster/Performer) and Hermes Shoes to Agnes (Arcanist/Time Mage). Tiz had 78 agility while Agnes had 87. I'd be using Sacrifice first from Arcanist to boost Agnes' M. Atk, then 3-4x Meteor afterwards. With Tiz, I had him use Stillness, which activated after Agnes used Meteor. With Stillness, I'd be good for two turns and I'd have my BP up during that time. With Hasten World (which was on Ringabel), Agnes would be back at 0 BP after the two turns. Then I'd just repeat what I did.

Giant's Drafts definitely helped in case a few of the enemies went first. But generally, Stillness activated fast so my party didn't get hit often, and I think only Agnes died, and once.

Once
Kamiizumi came in
I was like "oh shit" but
he didn't seem to make much of a difference
; I still beat them handily.

I've been going through the sidequest in chapter one where you get the Thief and Merchant classes. After I defeated the little french guy we found a note saying there was some secret meeting going on tonight. I didn't really pay much attention to the location and now there is no blue quest marker on the map even though I was supposed to check it out. Where am I supposed to go?

Tripon

I've been going through the sidequest in chapter one where you get the Thief and Merchant classes. After I defeated the little french guy we found a note saying there was some secret meeting going on tonight. I didn't really pay much attention to the location and now there is no blue quest marker on the map even though I was supposed to check it out. Where am I supposed to go?

Run around in the overworld until its night, and then go back into town. You'll see where you can go next.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think it only appears at night. If it doesn't appear at all, it's the building with the guy guarding the door. He'll be gone once you can enter.

Falk

that puzzling face
You also have to advance the main plot to a certain point for the next part of the subquest to unlock.

(Probably locked out this way so the dialogue makes sense)

Neol

Just completed the game after three weekends.

Have to say, thank the gods we got the updated version of this game. I could never imagine playing this game without the 4x battle speed, turning off the encounter rate and most importantly the auto battle feature. Without those game changing features I could see this already tiring game game extend for another 50 hours.

Other than that, solid game. Kinda lost itself in the middle but it was enjoyable towards the end.

Chapter 5 and 6 were dreadful :/. Chapter 7 and 8 were alright tho and the fight with Ouroborus was cool especially seeing my friends worlds helping out lol.Fuck those boss fights that felt like you needed to cheese through tho. (Looking at you Qada with your bullshit Fire-Weakness and Mephilia's one hit kill Promethean fire).

Also holy shit that sequel trailer was hype as fuck. Best use of the fucking gyro sensor on the 3ds. Was going around in fucking circles seeing Magnolia beat the shit out of everyone. Legit lost my mind when she used bravely second. Hyped for the sequel now and I hope to god more cut-scenes will be like that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finally beat the last leg of the game. People liked that? Eh.

Annoying final boss, just let me fight already. Super cheesy too.

I have to say I enjoyed the game as a whole though, and if Bravely Second is as big of an improvement as this version of Bravely Default was over the original release, it should be a great game.

Unlike some people I didn't have that much issue with the dungeons apart from the repetition. They weren't great since they basically just made you walk as far as possible, but they weren't offensively bad. Adding some decent puzzle elements would definitely help a lot.

Second half of the game could obviously be paced better, hopefully there is less Chapter 5 and 6 in Bravely Second.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, not sure I'm going to bother with
all these boss sidequests AGAIN in chapter 6
tbh.. Jesus Christ, what were SE thinking?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, not sure I'm going to bother with
all these boss sidequests AGAIN in chapter 6
tbh.. Jesus Christ, what were SE thinking?

There's two worth doing,
one for the last job, and the other is a fight with all three Venus sisters at once.

But yeah, otherwise they aren't worth it in Chapter 5 and 6. Chapter 7 and 8 are another story,
all the fights are different against groups of asterisk holders, similar to the Venus sisters in Chapter 6.
IMO those were probably the most fun part of the whole game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
There's two worth doing,
one for the last job, and the other is a fight with all three Venus sisters at once.

But yeah, otherwise they aren't worth it in Chapter 5 and 6. Chapter 7 and 8 are another story,
all the fights are different against groups of asterisk holders, similar to the Venus sisters in Chapter 6.
IMO those were probably the most fun part of the whole game.

Ok, got to find those two in ch. 6 then and look forward to the two next chapters. :D I stubbornly did them all in chapter 5, and so far in ch. 6 it has been ctrl-v version of the fight in last chapter as far as I can tell.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So i just got Edea. Aside from changing Tiz to a Monk, I haven't really needed to change anyone into anything yet. I'll probably turn Agnes into a Black Mage now. Any other class suggestions atm?

Top Bottom