• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Baust

Oh man, I love this so far.

I know it the year just started, but this is probably gonna be GOTY material for me.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
now for the important question. Box or Envelope?

I got mine in an envelope >:|

Top and bottom corner are a little messed up, and there's a crease in the middle of the spine (not REALLY bad, but noticeable).

Amazon needs to get their shit together.

Top and bottom corner are a little messed up, and there's a crease in the middle of the spine (not REALLY bad, but noticeable).

freaking amazon.. holy shit.. I have heard from one person that got his in good shape and it was in a box.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Here's my friend code for anyone that wants to add me!

0576-4573-1272

Please send me a PM if you do so I can add you back!

mannerbot

I bought Bravely Default CE and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together from Amazon today, both backordered. I have neither a 3DS nor a PSP. @_@

Few questions about the Nemesis bosses:
  • Are they permanently lost if you beat them?
  • Are there exclusive ones that Square Enix sends out?
  • Is there a list of them anywhere?

-Yes, so if you wanted to farm them, hopefully you can get it randomly from other people.
-Every nemesis are from Square Enix, so yes.. although
there's a special nemesis from Square Enix that's distributed only to Japan copy
-There should be a list in the EU OT, but I can't remember which page

In regard to streetpass for games--does the person I'm streetpassing with have to be playing the same game in order to get benefits? Like, if I pass someone that doesn't have BD on their DS, do I still get bonuses when building my town or whatever?
They have to have either the game or demo AND have setup streetpass within the game as well. This sadly means not too many street passes will likely get your villagers :(
:( My DS is at home charging today because I was building Norende all night.

Sad I can't play on the bus home today... :'(

I'm at about 8 hours in though from over the past couple days.
Why didn't you charge it over night, Lady Leeness? I picked my copy up at lunch but have to wait until I get out of work to start. I'll PM my FC if you PM me yours :D
Few questions about the Nemesis bosses:
  • Are they permanently lost if you beat them?
  • Are there exclusive ones that Square Enix sends out?
  • Is there a list of them anywhere?
From what I read in the EU thread over the months:

1. Yes, so if they have a useful drop you want to farm, steal from them and then run away
2. They have released some limited time Nemesis' I believe, at least for holidays. Correct me if I'm wrong, EuroGAF
3. That I don't know off the top of my head but I'm sure it's searchable.

zroid

Banned
Just picked up my CE from the mailbox. Was shipped in a bubble mailer naturally, but it's in near flawless condition. (ノ ̄д ̄)ノ

Just one crease at the back, it's barely noticeable.

Oh and I have to agree with everyone who expressed contentment with the softcover artbook. I was upset when I learned it wasn't hardcover, but it's actually quite nice.

My Amazon CE isn't even coming anymore. It shipped yesterday, but I just got an e-mail telling me there was a "processing error" and they're calling the shipment back from UPS. I should really stop pre-ordering from Amazon.

Still powering through the demo, but I'll probably be picking this up either today or tomorrow.
Here's my FC for all those interested. PM me if you add me so I can add you back and we can bravely rebuild towns and stuff.
2191-7815-7922

1337Sauce

Can somebody explain the Summon Friend feature to me? I connected to the internet, and three different names popped up. In battle, I saw the command, selected one of the people, and it did some crazy amount of damage that instantly killed a boss I was fighting.

How does this system work? Is there a limit as to how it is used? I don't want to be doing ridiculous numbers of damage, it took the fun out of the boss fight. The boss had like 300 health and it dealt for over 1000. Is this a feature that is supposed to be used or what? Kind of confused by it haha.

B.K.

The game has a pretty big spike in difficult when you get to
Centro Keep
. I was going alone fine until I got there and the party wiped.

Can somebody explain the Summon Friend feature to me? I connected to the internet, and three different names popped up. In battle, I saw the command, selected one of the people, and it did some crazy amount of damage that instantly killed a boss I was fighting.

How does this system work? Is there a limit as to how it is used? I don't want to be doing ridiculous numbers of damage, it took the fun out of the boss fight. The boss had like 300 health and it dealt for over 1000. Is this a feature that is supposed to be used or what? Kind of confused by it haha.

You can in-battle, have the game record a particular move you do whether it be to use a potion or do some super powerful attack. You then update your system through the guy in red and at that point, a friend can summon you and the summon will do that ability your recorded. You will then have to update your game again (through the guy in red) before they can summon you again. So you may have a friend constantly bugging you to update hehe

Edit: If you want to keep the same ability associated with your summon for friends, you don't have to record it again, you just have to update.

AJTsuki

Neo Member
Alright! Download complete...

Time to dive in. What mistakes should I try to avoid in the first couple hours?

chrono01

I pre-ordered my CE from amazon.ca near the end of November last year, and it hasn't even shipped yet. I chose Express, too. ~_~

RDreamer

Dropping my friend code here so I can get some people. Just got my 3DS so I have no one. Add me and PM for an add back:
0662-4140-6435

1337Sauce

You can in-battle, have the game record a particular move you do whether it be to use a potion or do some super powerful attack. You then update your system through the guy in red and at that point, a friend can summon you and the summon will do that ability your recorded. You will then have to update your game again (through the guy in red) before they can summon you again. So you may have a friend constantly bugging you to update hehe

Edit: If you want to keep the same ability associated with your summon for friends, you don't have to record it again, you just have to update.

Yeah but I definitely don't have to be using this feature right? Like it seemed broken to me when I did that insane amount of damage. Couldn't I just constantly be summoning a friend that is a much higher level to go through the game with no problem?

Mazre

Woot! Sister gifted me a copy but it wasn't supposed to arrive until Tuesday, was waiting for me when I got home from work.

Edit: Friend Code:3024-6346-6995, please PM for add back if you add me.

joe2187

Banned
So I got my game, Can I play the Demo and full version side by side or does everything transfer over when I start the full game.

Soul Beat

The game has a pretty big spike in difficult when you get to
Centro Keep
. I was going alone fine until I got there and the party wiped.
I ran into the same problem, but then changed Tiz's job to a Monk and now I'm having no trouble.

Yeah but I definitely don't have to be using this feature right? Like it seemed broken to me when I did that insane amount of damage. Couldn't I just constantly be summoning a friend that is a much higher level to go through the game with no problem?

Yes, some people refuse to use it for that reason. Though they have to update their system each time so it's not like you'd be able to use it more than once in a battle or necessarily more than once in a play session unless they were playing at the same time and bothered to update. Late game attacks can do absurd damage that would break the game for us newbies.

Blizzard

Banned
If you don't have, or choose not to have, any friends, is there still a way to get villagers (and/or a way to get villagers without taking weeks)?
Quoting myself again since it didn't look like anyone responded (please forgive me if I missed it). Is there a reasonable way to get villagers within a week or two if you don't have people on the friends list?

Quoting myself again since it didn't look like anyone responded (please forgive me if I missed it). Is there a reasonable way to get villagers within a week or two if you don't have people on the friends list?

Every day you can update your system from the guy in red (the guy that saves your game) and you can obtain between 3-5 villagers I think it is, def 5 max for the day. So you won't be completely screwed if you can't streetpass :) Also, you don't get villagers by adding friends, only from street/spot pass and from the network method I just explained.

Raytow

Should I avoid summoning? seems game breaking the first two bosses were downed in one hit =/, does it get better as the game goes on, or even worse?

Blizzard

Banned
Every day you can update your system from the guy in red (the guy that saves your game) and you can obtain between 3-5 villagers I think it is, def 5 max for the day. So you won't be completely screwed if you can't streetpass :) Also, you don't get villagers by adding friends, only from street/spot pass and from the network method I just explained.
Cool thanks, just wanted to make sure if I have neither friends list or streetpass that it would work.

Just got mine. My box is a bit beat up, but meh.

Ready to play some good ol' fashioned JRPG goodness.

SO HYPE!

My LE copy just arrived. Honestly, SE really cheaped-out on the box here. It's flimsy craft-paper, and it's already damaged. Still, it's nice to have a soundtrack sampler, and the artbook. Also, didn't expect so many AR cards! :O

Derrick01

Banned
Man there's a lot of social crap in this game. The sad thing is that's all of the "new" stuff I've seen so far, everything else feels like a typical jrpg. Some of the writing and voice acting in this is beyond painful to say the least.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Should I avoid summoning? seems game breaking the first two bosses were downed in one hit =/, does it get better as the game goes on, or even worse?
Set the game to hard. If that doesn't work, set the game to not give you exp for a while or just drop the encounter rate so you don't develop as fast. You can make this thing what you want.

pariah164

I ran into the same problem, but then changed Tiz's job to a Monk and now I'm having no trouble.
Do you equip him with swords even as a monk? Or go fists only? This may seem silly, but seeing my attack go down when I unequip the swords worries me deeply.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dang, kind of hoped registering people = villagers. Oh well, I managed to get about 6 villagers in the demo via streetpassing people at college.

Speaking of which, can you only obtain a villager once from someone via streetpass, or can it happen numerous times over a span of days?

Top Bottom