• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

huh, can bosses be poisoned?

That's why the Arcanist is such a powerful job, once you poison the boss (Arcanists have a support skill to make status effects' hit% more reasonable), you can do 20000-40000 dark damage with 4x Exterminate for at least 20 MP total. Heck, it'd be just be easier to list the bosses that can't be poisoned (The first five I remember from my experience in the game, the rest came from Sailor Nemesis' FAQ).
- Lord DeRosso (Vampire)
- Fiore DeRosa (Red Mage)
- Qada (Salve-maker)
- Orthros (Wind Crystal)
- Gigas Lich (Earth Crystal)
- Automaton
- Guardian
- Zombie Dragon
- All of the final bosses

That's why the Arcanist is such a powerful job, once you poison the boss (Arcanists have a support skill to make status effects' hit% more reasonable), you can do 20000-40000 dark damage with 4x Exterminate for at least 20 MP total. Heck, it'd be just be easier to list the bosses that can't be poisoned (The first five I remember from my experience in the game, the rest came from Sailor Nemesis' FAQ).
- Lord DeRosso (Vampire)
- Fiore DeRosa (Red Mage)
- Qada (Salve-maker)
- Orthros (Wind Crystal)
- Gigas Lich (Earth Crystal)
- Automaton
- Guardian
- Zombie Dragon
- All of the final bosses

thats pretty neat. I love how there are so many different ways to be OP in this game. That honestly what makes a good rpg battle system (thats not pvp).

L.O.R.D

i just bought the game
and registered few friends..and...my god
all my friends are attacking me ?
all of them send a Nemesis level 70-99 to me
i have 6 Nemesis
and i still level 5
how to get rid of them ?
are they attacking the village ?

Gah... the last few chapters in the game really sucked the wind out of my sails. The first few chapters I was glued to my 3DS, now I can barely manage the energy to turn the damn thing on. I know a lot of stuff can be skipped, but I decided to want to do everything
just not three or four times

i just bought the game
and registered few friends..and...my god
all my friends are attacking me ?
all of them send a Nemesis level 70-99 to me
i have 6 Nemesis
and i still level 5
how to get rid of them ?
are they attacking the village ?

Nah, Nemeses are optional battles, they don't affect your village. But you can win some XP and some basic items from them. Best not to try and fight them unless you have saved beforehand.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
BTW

for the sound option
English or Japanese ?
i found the two is good,but can't decide which one is better ?

I just turned off voices completely and read. Enjoyed it immensely, really added to the old school no voice acting Final Fantasy vibe of the overall game.

suzu

I'm not sure if it's the best place but you should take a look at the Chompers at Mount Fragmentum. They used to give me decent JP for early job grinding. Just make sure your characters are fast enough to wipe them out in one round for the bonus and because they will flee when they get the chance. It's not ideal though because you'll have much better opportunities later.

Thanks. I ended up grinding a little bit in Grapp Keep (with Sage's Staffs and Raise spam since everything is undead). :)

Neki

Finally got my grind on with some free lunch + double damage. feels good, auto-battle + watching a stream is the best.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just finished the game last night, I don't think I saw the "false" ending... or maybe I did? I beat the last boss and saw credits with the movie at the end.

BTW That ending and intro movie with the AR camera is really awesome. More games really need to do more like that! It's so cool! Blowing my mind that it barely gets used.

Anyways, I have NO idea if I really liked the game or not. I definitely enjoyed it. But I used the same broken strategy to steam roll the last couple of chapters. I beat the last boss with the "Unscathed" no damage bonus, because of my broken team setup. I mean, it felt really good to figure out a prefect strategy that would keep me from getting damaged, but... it also made the last part of the game really not fun.

I'll think more about it... but what a weird weird game. First game that I've ever finished where after the credits roll: "I THINK I enjoyed that game."

Also, the music is so so good. I have mutliple songs as ringtones on my phone. The victory theme makes for a pretty awesome one. DAT PENNY WHISTLE THO.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game last night, I don't think I saw the "false" ending... or maybe I did? I beat the last boss and saw credits with the movie at the end.

BTW That ending and intro movie with the AR camera is really awesome. More games really need to do more like that! It's so cool! Blowing my mind that it barely gets used.

Anyways, I have NO idea if I really liked the game or not. I definitely enjoyed it. But I used the same broken strategy to steam roll the last couple of chapters. I beat the last boss with the "Unscathed" no damage bonus, because of my broken team setup. I mean, it felt really good to figure out a prefect strategy that would keep me from getting damaged, but... it also made the last part of the game really not fun.

I'll think more about it... but what a weird weird game. First game that I've ever finished where after the credits roll: "I THINK I enjoyed that game."

Also, the music is so so good. I have mutliple songs as ringtones on my phone. The victory theme makes for a pretty awesome one. DAT PENNY WHISTLE THO.

It the fake/bad ending you
break a crystal and fight Airy to beat the game.

In the true ending you
keep awakening the crystals up to chapter 8, and you fight Ouroboros to beat the game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It the fake/bad ending you
break a crystal and fight Airy to beat the game.

In the true ending you
keep awakening the crystals up to chapter 8, and you fight Ouroboros to beat the game.

Ok, I missed the bad ending. How in the world were you supposed to unlock the bad ending without knowing ahead of time how to do it? Did people really stumble on that naturally? The game gave you no leads... did it?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Ok, I missed the bad ending. How in the world were you supposed to unlock the bad ending without knowing ahead of time how to do it? Did people really stumble on that naturally? The game gave you no leads... did it?

It's vaguely referenced in dialogue. Something like "sometimes have the courage to disobey." I don't think it's ever explicitly said, though.

Fbh

After dropping the game for like 2 weeks I finally got to the final chapters.

Felt great to fight a new boss after a while. I think I only have the final boss left

Well it sort of does.
Airy tells you several times that you should only channel energy into the crystal until she tells you to stop. But the game gives you a few secconds to continue if you want.
Eventually someone was obviously going to try and see if something happens if you keep pressing X after being told to stop

Hall of Fame, yaaaay.
congratscenst3c6o.png

Wazzy

Banned

There's so many parts where it hints to
break the crystals
, paticularlily from Yulyana.

I'm actually working on the true ending right now because I thought the "bad" ending would be the true one, heh.

FluxWaveZ

It was hinted at several times.

I decided to break the first crystal I found in chapter 8 because screw going with what Airy wants.

It's been suggested in this thread, but that really should have lead to the good ending. "Have the courage to disobey" my ass.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
could someone spoil me what happens in the false end after the boss?

Not really anything. You beat Airy's first two forms and she tells you she's just servant of Ouroboros or something like that, and that in 10,000 years the crystal will have regrown and he can continue linking the worlds.

Then it cuts to a slightly different credits sequence, and you don't get the Bravely Second teaser.

I'm surprised that anyone played though the entire game without getting the first ending. After chapter 6?, the
entire story is practically screaming that Airy is untrustworthy
. I was completely unspoiled and I got the bad ending the first opportunity that there was.

Not really anything. You beat Airy's first two forms and she tells you she's just servant of Ouroboros or something like that, and that in 10,000 years the crystal will have regrown and he can continue linking the worlds.

Then it cuts to a slightly different credits sequence, and you don't get the Bravely Second teaser.

hmmm so is there
just 1 ouroboros, or is there one in each world?

Wazzy

Banned
Just beat the game. What a great final bossfight. I loved the way
your friends were implimented into the final battle

While the chapter 5 and 6 stuff sucked, I still really enjoyed this game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game did two REALLY cool things that I would like to see implemented in other, story based, 3DS games.

1. Final battle spoiler:
Implement your 3DS friends list into the story somehow. It was really cool and I'd like to see this further explored in Bravely Second. But I thought it was cool how they sort of had meaning to the other heroes you had been summoning through the necklace and how that connected to the overall story. Very creative!

2. Use of AR camera in the opening and final cut scenes. It was VERY immersive to get to move your camera around during the cutscene and follow the action, and get a good point of view. Why can't more games do this? I would think it would be so awesome to get first person perspective during story scenes in a variety of games and how that can add to immersion.

... The game was very enjoyable. But I think like everyone has already pointed out, the game needed more unrecycled content.

I had a fun time exploring the world through chapters 1-4, but the game really needed a World of Balance / World of Ruin type of thing for the second act. I didn't mind doing everything over again in Chapter 5, but Ch.6-8 were straight up boring. Like everyone else, I turned off encounters, but all that made the game was just a trek across the map to the same boss fights, and read the same dialog. I think the story could have been told just fine skipping Chapters 5-8 and just jumping right to the final chapter. They didn't literally have to make you repeat the same actions over and over in order for you to "GET" the story. But then that would've made for a much shorter game... the game just falls apart on so many levels it feels like in the second act.

And as much as I really enjoyed the battle system and all the jobs and abilities, after I found an unbeatable setup, the game became a chore because I was repeating the same actions in every battle with no deviation. As long as I followed my offensive script perfectly, I was not going to lose. I guess there needed to be bosses with different strengths/weaknesses so that one team setup could not power house EVERY boss in the game.

Overall a good experience. In some ways it's better than any Final Fantasy game or any other JRPG. I mean, I can't imagine playing through a game like Final Fantasy IX again with it's SLOW. AS. HELL. battle system. And FFV Job system just feels outdated compared to this game. So it did a great job in surpassing many classics, but because of the lack luster story I feel like this game will never rise to those same ranks.

Anyways, I think that about sums up my final thoughts on the game. I'm looking forward to jumping back to Etrain Odyssey IV and enjoying that game for its tigher, more controlled experience.

TheBear

Just started playing, and got my first few villagers.

If I allocate them to building tasks, does that mean I can't use them in battle?
Are they a finite resource?

suzu

Just started playing, and got my first few villagers.

If I allocate them to building tasks, does that mean I can't use them in battle?
Are they a finite resource?

The villagers are just used to rebuild the village. You can get more villagers by using "update data" from the save menu (once a day).

duckroll

Beat the GIRL POWER fight in Chapter 7 after a few tries. Removing Hasten World was pretty much a key to surviving in that fight. lol. Great stuff. The side stuff in chapter 7 are really good. They're funny, entertaining, and challenging. Kinda wish the actual story in the game was like this, rather than the boring crap it is.

Yagharek

Also 'I'm thoroughly enjoying this game and I'm on chapter five. I get why people dislike it, but to me it feels like a final fantasy crossover with bad 90s sci fi show
Sliders

80 hours on the clock, all characters lv99, all with 22 maxed jobs each. This game has sunk its claws into me like fire emblem did last year.

My Valk was hitting damage cap in chapter 2. Are you upgrading your equipment?

You can upgrade equipment? All I always did was buy the best (or find something better in a dungeon) and arrange it for S/A-ranks.
Pretty much the best thing I can do (if I'm lucky) is 3k per strike if I put a lvl. 5 spell (battlemage second job) against the weakness on the katana of my samurai and do a crit - both hands used.

Falk

that puzzling face
BTW

for the sound option
English or Japanese ?
i found the two is good,but can't decide which one is better ?

Agnes can get really shrill at times, but otherwise it's really up to your preference. What do use for other games that give you the option?

duckroll

You can upgrade equipment? All I always did was buy the best (or find something better in a dungeon) and arrange it for S/A-ranks.
Pretty much the best thing I can do (if I'm lucky) is 3k per strike if I put a lvl. 5 spell (battlemage second job) against the weakness on the katana of my samurai and do a crit - both hands used.

If you're not hitting 9999 damage for any character by chapter 5, I think you're definitely doing something "wrong" in the sense that the game expects you to be able to by this point. There are various factors to consider:

- Don't keep characters stuck on a single job, branch out and learn more abilities which can be mixed and matched to increase the efficiency of the sort of character you want to build.

- Always be on a look out for attacks which can deal heavy damage and ask yourself how you can make these attacks do even more damage. During battle don't forget about things like raising the attack power of a character or lowering the defense of an enemy. That can help a lot too.

- Unless you have a very specialized build for magic, bail out on offensive magic entirely. It kinda blows by late game, and doesn't seem to be worth the effort at all.

- Try to complete as much of the village as possible so you have access to buying the top range weapons for each class type.

The thing in the ending that blew my mind was
when the alternate earths were being destroyed by Airy, it would say ____'s world. I had an oh shit moment and realized that those were the street pass worlds. That blew my mind because it made me realize that the different people playing the game were all basically the alternate earths that we linked together, which fits the street pass function into the story because all the worlds are becoming connected. Probably the only use of street pass I can think of that can perfectly fit it into the story

And then there's the teaser for Bravely Second.... My god I'm excited!!

TheBear

Is everyone here trading friend codes or do we do that somewhere else?

Also, is there any reason to keep someone as a freelancer? I'm early game and ringabel is getting his ass whipped. Are some characters better at certain jobs than others?

If you're not hitting 9999 damage for any character by chapter 5, I think you're definitely doing something "wrong" in the sense that the game expects you to be able to by this point. There are various factors to consider:

- Don't keep characters stuck on a single job, branch out and learn more abilities which can be mixed and matched to increase the efficiency of the sort of character you want to build.

- Always be on a look out for attacks which can deal heavy damage and ask yourself how you can make these attacks do even more damage. During battle don't forget about things like raising the attack power of a character or lowering the defense of an enemy. That can help a lot too.

- Unless you have a very specialized build for magic, bail out on offensive magic entirely. It kinda blows by late game, and doesn't seem to be worth the effort at all.

- Try to complete as much of the village as possible so you have access to buying the top range weapons for each class type.

It felt more awkward to me if it was higher, because 9999 damage would mean that at that point in the game I could kill a boss with one round of 4 braves for each character, no? (I already blazed through certain Ch.4 bosses with my apparent shit damage, but with 9k it would be less than kindergarten level, I imagine...)
But then again, there were also points very in early in the game where I didn't understand why one of two characters (with same the same job attachment) only did like 1 damage at a boss all of a sudden...

Also, changing jobs actually seemed to do a negative effect, which is why I left one character with the same (offensive) job, who always had did the highest damage, while I think Edea should have the highest raw power - yet I tried many different jobs for her and usually her damage then quickly falls back into sub-1k (down to 500 even, for a basic slash....), even though I reach lvl 9 at jobs pretty quickly since many hours.

I tried pirate once, which can lower (m)def, but I didn't feel any significant damage increase. The only thing I really didn't do at all is attack buffs (I ignored all med jobs so far except white mage - and I already forgot which one had the buffs), so today I'll try to level these. Especially since for some reason I keep leveling dark mage, even though you're right and I barely even use offensive magic.

It felt more awkward to me if it was higher, because 9999 damage would mean that at that point in the game I could kill a boss with one round of 4 braves for each character, no? (I already blazed through certain Ch.4 bosses with my apparent shit damage, but with 9k it would be less than kindergarten level, I imagine...)
But then again, there were also points very in early in the game where I didn't understand why one of two characters (with same the same job attachment) only did like 1 damage at a boss all of a sudden...

Also, changing jobs actually seemed to do a negative effect, which is why I left one character with the same (offensive) job, who always had did the highest damage, while I think Edea should have the highest raw power - yet I tried many different jobs for her and usually her damage then quickly falls back into sub-1k (down to 500 even, for a basic slash....), even though I reach lvl 9 at jobs pretty quickly since many hours.

I tried pirate once, which can lower (m)def, but I didn't feel any significant damage increase. The only thing I really didn't do at all is attack buffs (I ignored all med jobs so far except white mage - and I already forgot which one had the buffs), so today I'll try to level these. Especially since for some reason I keep leveling dark mage, even though you're right and I barely even use offensive magic.

oh you wont be hitting 9999's consistently until way later, i think he's just saying that by like ch2 or 3 or so, you can easily hit cap with a special with dual weaknesses equipped (say water aqua) due to how the multiplier works.

duckroll

Yeah, hitting 9999 consistently for at least one or two characters is something you will want to work on throughout chapter 5 and 6, especially since it has all the bosses as optional repeat battles for you to practice on. But if you're not hitting 9999 at all with any character by chapter 5, something is wrong.

Changing jobs is definitely a good thing, and you should not be put off by a job being weaker when you first change to it. Put in the effort to level a job and you'll see the diffrence.

Pirate is a really good raw damage dealer, so it's definitely a mistake if you passed on it so quickly. Keep in mind that looking at normal attacks is not the best way to gauge how much damage you can deal with a given class.

Let's use the pirate as an example. If you have the two-handed ability equipped, a good axe and some form of strength increasing accessory will put you around the top tier of raw attack power. You can boost it further with abilities like P.Attack 20% or P.Attack 30%. Now, in a battle, default until the character has 3 BP. Now brave 4 times, and use the attack which lowers enemy defense, and then use Double Damage three times.

In this scenario, at the point of the game you are at, with the equipment and levels you should be able to attain at this point, it should not be hard at all for the first attack to do 2-3k of damage, and the subsequent 3 attacks to deal 6-8k each. If any of those 3 attacks are criticals, that should hit 9999.

That's just one example, and it doesn't make use of much job synergy other than two-handed which you get pretty early as a Knight. I'm using this example as opposed to the Valkyrie jump because the jump is a singular attack which cannot be spammed in the same way. So this example can give a better idea of how a single character can debuff an enemy while attacking to deal a lot of damage. It's not the best strategy either, but it's simple enough.

Soriku

Definitely use Pirate. It's the strongest physical attack job. Double Damage is costly but very useful for a time.

Top Bottom