• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just started The Final Chapter. Did I miss out on the false ending? I thought I heard about people seeing in Chapter 6 or something... am I wrong?

And DANG. I had a pretty "unbeatable" team setup through Chapters 5-8, then hit the first boss at the start of The Final Chapter, and I get KO'd pretty quick! I'm playing on Hard. I'm actually happy about this, I thought that I had found an unbeatable broken setup, but I'm glad that the game isn't done challenging me yet.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
lol Chapter 5...So at this point I really did skip Chapter 5 after seeing this crap for the first time, how screwed am I?

I don't believe there's anything "new" in chapter 5. Chapter 6 has one new sidequest that opens up. Then chapter 7 and 8 have awesome sidequests.

I just started The Final Chapter. Did I miss out on the false ending? I thought I heard about people seeing in Chapter 6 or something... am I wrong?

And DANG. I had a pretty "unbeatable" team setup through Chapters 5-8, then hit the first boss at the start of The Final Chapter, and I get KO'd pretty quick! I'm playing on Hard. I'm actually happy about this, I thought that I had found an unbeatable broken setup, but I'm glad that the game isn't done challenging me yet.

low leverage is almost mandatory to survive some things unless you are level cap.

also ninjas. ninjas are still like the most op thing in the game.

I don't believe there's anything "new" in chapter 5. Chapter 6 has one new sidequest that opens up. Then chapter 7 and 8 have awesome sidequests.

Well, to be specific,
I busted the first crystal immediately after fighting some bosses again and now I'm at the finale. I haven't saved yet though.
I'm not having a really hard time with the dungeon yet but I dunno if it's gonna continue that way.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

What sidequests are you talking about specifically? I thought the only thing to do in Ch.7-8 was
fight the asterik bosses again. They had different combinations and such
. I didn't really get anything story wise out of them, but got some good steals.

low leverage is almost mandatory to survive some things unless you are level cap.

also ninjas. ninjas are still like the most op thing in the game.

Really, what specficially makes Ninjas so great? Their speed? I've been running a Dark Knight = Dark Nebuela / Adaptation / Stillness setup for pretty much all of Ch.5-8. I just need to tinker with that to survive that boss in the final chapter, I think.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What sidequests are you talking about specifically? I thought the only thing to do in Ch.7-8 was
. I didn't really get anything story wise out of them, but got some good steals.

That's it, but those were some really, really fun boss fights. My favorite part of the whole game. Especially the second round in chapter 8, some of those were harder than the final boss. Suppose it depends on your setup though.

Really, what specficially makes Ninjas so great? Their speed? I've been running a Dark Knight = Dark Nebuela / Adaptation / Stillness setup for pretty much all of Ch.5-8. I just need to tinker with that to survive that boss in the final chapter, I think.

ninjas can choose enemy target, and ninja's can dodge all single attack moves, so if you can manage bp (low leavage, performer's my hero, freelancer's mimic), you pretty much have a real useful dodge tank that pretty much greatly reduces the dps of most bosses in which they can really only damage the party with AOE.

dark knights imo work better with rage. My broken DK setup was...

DK sub ninja (for backup ninjaing if needed).
- drain attack up
- knuckle lore
- natural talent
- BP Limit up
- freebie

have low leverage activated (to half the cost of rage which allows you get a few more off a turn and also withou low leverage, you'd already be easily hitting 9999 which means you are wasting damage)

get +4
equip blood sword, use it, unequip it (didn't know you can do this until near the end lmao).

rage x3

and if drain doesn't expire, I believe you can even ragex4

at lvl 99 you'd be doing about 6000 - 9999 on crit, each hit (x15 or x20), which probably makes this the highest single turn attack possible without bravely second + double weakness special.

Shiina

ninjas can choose enemy target, and ninja's can dodge all single attack moves, so if you can manage bp (low leavage, performer's my hero, freelancer's mimic), you pretty much have a real useful dodge tank that pretty much greatly reduces the dps of most bosses in which they can really only damage the party with AOE.

- drain attack up
- knuckle lore
- natural talent
- BP Limit up
- freebie

have low leverage activated (to half the cost of rage which allows you get a few more off a turn and also withou low leverage, you'd already be easily hitting 9999 which means you are wasting damage)

get +4
equip blood sword, use it, unequip it (didn't know you can do this until near the end lmao).

rage x3

at lvl 99 you'd be doing about 6000 - 9999 on crit, each hit (x15 or x20), which probably makes this the highest single turn attack possible without bravely second + double weakness special.

How weird, I was hitting for 9999 when applying dark weakness with my Salve Maker. Under Low Leverage of course. And it's 4 turns times 4 Dark Bane so 16 attacks.

Also I was running two Dark Knights so that's 2*4*4*9999 damage. I could get both DKs to 4 actions on the second turn without Stillness and after that you can use Stillness or just tank the damage and get that 320k damage every two turns.

How weird, I was hitting for 9999 when applying dark weakness with my Salve Maker. Under Low Leverage of course. And it's 4 turns times 4 Dark Bane so 16 attacks.

Also I was running two Dark Knights so that's 2*4*4*9999 damage. I could get both DKs to 4 actions on the second turn without Stillness and after that you can use Stillness or just tank the damage and get that 320k damage every two turns.

yeah was hitting about 6000 without crit or weakness, 9999 on crit. I never really messed with salve maker because i'm anal about using items in games lmao.

The amount of ways to break the game is ridiculous anyhow. You could just grind for money and spam bp drinks too!

Shiina

yeah was hitting about 6000 without crit or weakness, 9999 on crit. I never really messed with salve maker because i'm anal about using items in games lmao.

The amount of ways to break the game is ridiculous anyhow. You could just grind for money and spam bp drinks too!

Oh right, I read that wrong then.

demidar

- drain attack up
- knuckle lore
- natural talent
- BP Limit up
- freebie

get +4

rage x3

I'm surprised you don't have Gloom equipped. That would probably push Rage to 7500+ per attack.

duckroll

Progress in chapter 6 so far:
- Fought one sidequest boss battle
- Threw up when it was exactly the same as chapter 5 and didn't even have a new event viewer entry
- Awakened two crystals
- Shocked that there were actually new cutscenes

So far this is 15.53% "better" than chapter 5. Zzzzzzzzz.

vareon

Progress in chapter 6 so far:
- Fought one sidequest boss battle
- Threw up when it was exactly the same as chapter 5 and didn't even have a new event viewer entry
- Awakened two crystals
- Shocked that there were actually new cutscenes

So far this is 15.53% "better" than chapter 5. Zzzzzzzzz.

The final Job sidequest begins after awakening two crystals in Ch6, which is the only thing Ch6 is good for.

Soriku

Is that the sidequest which has the venus sisters? I want to do that fight. I'm skipped all the rest because it seems the same. I already did all of the sidequests in ch5, so these are all repeats right?

The sisters are part of that quest, yes. You also get the last job.

Neki

So should I only start the last job side quest in Chapter 6? No point in re-doing any of the side quests until 7-8?

suzu

I stopped playing BD awhile ago for whatever reason, but started it up again. My Norende is almost complete and I got the elixir mammon from net update today, so yay money.

I've just started Chapter 3 and was wondering if there is a good place to grind JP? I've been really neglecting the other jobs, except for thief and black mage. D:

Neki

man I can't imagine doing all this stuff without encounter rate set to 0%, what a mess that would be if I actually had to fight stuff!

Krelian

I stopped playing BD awhile ago for whatever reason, but started it up again. My Norende is almost complete and I got the elixir mammon from net update today, so yay money.

I've just started Chapter 3 and was wondering if there is a good place to grind JP? I've been really neglecting the other jobs, except for thief and black mage. D:
I'm not sure if it's the best place but you should take a look at the Chompers at Mount Fragmentum. They used to give me decent JP for early job grinding. Just make sure your characters are fast enough to wipe them out in one round for the bonus and because they will flee when they get the chance. It's not ideal though because you'll have much better opportunities later.

After getting halfway through chapter 6, I've concluded the second half of this game really isn't that bad. You can kind of blow through stuff and
seeing how things change is pretty interesting. I had a big smile on my face after seeing some of the likable Asterisk-holders that you brutally murder in previous worlds staying alive.

duckroll

OMG. I got to chapter 7, decided to check out the first fight with Ominas. At first I was really happy that it seemed different to begin with. Then, after I beat him, OMG!!!!! I think I'm going to really like the battles in this chapter. Lol.

vareon

Now that I think about it, the game's worst part isn't the
repeating chapter
, it's the
repeating Crystal dungeons and bosses. The bosses stay with the same pattern, and there's not an ounce of creativity in the repeated lines before and after the boss battles for the last two chapters
. Other than that, I kinda respected what they wanted to deliver in the second half.

repeating chapter
, it's the
repeating Crystal dungeons and bosses. The bosses stay with the same pattern, and there's not an ounce of creativity in the repeated lines before and after the boss battles for the last two chapters
. Other than that, I kinda respected what they wanted to deliver in the second half.

really do wish they had new bosses, or do something different. like some times there are 2 of the boss or what not. Also, walking back to fire temple... game really could have had a shortcut to there...

So was this
Vampire
sub-quest a huge jump in difficulty for anyone else, or just me? It's incredibly frustrating.

the boss fight or the dragons? dragon attacks are all physical so you can easily cheese with ninja and speed equips. boss fight i forget, but i dont recall having that big of a problem around lvl 50s in ch4. had to revive a lot though because of that annoying skill.

Soriku

repeating chapter
, it's the

Or how about having to continuously mash X for each of them.

fyi some of the side stuff do get real annoying if you don't have a good mastery over BP generation.

Chapter 8
Black Blades
fight is probably insane if you don't have a really good set up.

the boss fight or the dragons? dragon attacks are all physical so you can easily cheese with ninja and speed equips. boss fight i forget, but i dont recall having that big of a problem around lvl 50s in ch4. had to revive a lot though because of that annoying skill.
Woah, so those breath attacks are physical? Things are making much more sense if that's the case.

Or how about having to continuously mash X for each of them.
Chapter 8
Black Blades
fight is probably insane if you don't have a really good set up.

low leverage + my hero + mimic + slow world makes life good.

job fiesta with subquests being mandatory would be oh so fun.

Woah, so those breath attacks are physical? Things are making much more sense if that's the case.

its not that apparent but there are many 'physical' elemental attacks in this game. spells are usually the ones where you see some sort of casting magic circle. its more obvious with human bosses, but can be a bit tricky for monsters.

RiggyRob

low leverage + my hero + mimic + slow world makes life good.

I just went with the BP Generator build that's pretty popular -
BP Recovery on all, Status Ailment Amp and Group Cast All on White Mage/Black Mage, Poison All x3 and Esuna All, everyone's up to +3 BP again (assuming you don't accidently leave Ribbon on Edea like I did once >.>)

Also, whoever mentioned Spiritmaster/Templar instead of Spiritmaster/White Mage is a hero, it's far easier to prevent damage than to heal it, especially with the Nemeses who hit for 9999 instantly.

OMG. I got to chapter 7, decided to check out the first fight with Ominas. At first I was really happy that it seemed different to begin with. Then, after I beat him, OMG!!!!! I think I'm going to really like the battles in this chapter. Lol.
I was actually about to make a post about how much I'm enjoying chapter 7 too. Really, if they'd have just cut chapter 5 I think that the entire last half of the game would have been much less maligned.

So, I'm still in chapter 1, I just unlocked Time mage and Spell Fencer, managed to take down a level 20 Belphegor after figuring out his mechanic for myself. That was pretty damn fun.

Setup and mechanic spoiler:
I originally tackled him with a mage in my party, and noticed he stopped taking damage from a particular element. Thinking I was forgetful and hit the wrong spell on round 2, I switched elements and tried again, then again, and realized what was happening. Seems he always begins with a fire weakness. I don't recommend using more than one or 2 volleys of spells per round, so you can control the amount of accidental healing due to speed issues.

My setup was: TIM/BLM, WHM/BLM, BLM/WHM, WHM/BLM, had access to blessed shield and the raise wand. Just do lots of defaulting, stay healed up, then unload with one spellcaster per round. Default when orbs are up until they explode (too much hp to bother killing) Damage dispersal and abate fire were essential.

I just went with the BP Generator build that's pretty popular -
BP Recovery on all, Status Ailment Amp and Group Cast All on White Mage/Black Mage, Poison All x3 and Esuna All, everyone's up to +3 BP again (assuming you don't accidently leave Ribbon on Edea like I did once >.>)

Also, whoever mentioned Spiritmaster/Templar instead of Spiritmaster/White Mage is a hero, it's far easier to prevent damage than to heal it, especially with the Nemeses who hit for 9999 instantly.

huh, can bosses be poisoned?

Top Bottom