• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Yep. You can set the spoken language and the text separately, so you can take either one, or both if you like.

Perhaps, though it should be noted that in Japan it was called Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, and in Europe it was called Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies. That FF is no accident.

I imagine it was removed in NA because we can't have the word "fairy" in Macho Macho Murica.
Don't ruin this for me

Gaz_RB

So far I really like it. The voice acting is cringe, though.
Yeah voice acting is preeeeetty horrible. Does the European version have accents? The dialogue seems to lend itself more to something other than an american accent.

fates

I'll take a beat up box if it means I'll get a CE.

Amazon charged me for the CE, still don't think I'm getting it though. I don't like this delayed shipping stuff. Something seems off.

Hyoukokun

I went to two Best Buys and neither had the game on the shelves. I made an online reservation at one of them and they held the game for me and had plenty left. I'm not sure why they haven't put it out. They also didn't have Lego Movie Videogame out, despite it also being in stock. Be sure to ask an associate next time.

I asked associates all three times, actually! I probably should've checked stock online first (or ordered for in-store pickup earlier in the day). Oh well. Got some exercise out of it, at least.

Yeah voice acting is preeeeetty horrible. Does the European version have accents? The dialogue seems to lend itself more to something other than an american accent.

I'm really not a fan of the Japanese VA for Airy, though not having to listen to some of the side character's bad English VA is pretty nice

Soul Beat

I decided to take a little break to read D's Journal. And let me tell you, it's pretty sweet! The sketches are such a nice touch.

Though if you read too far ahead it might be a bit spoilery. I am unsure why it's all unlocked from the get go.

Got my CE from Amazon today, sighed when I saw the bubble mailer. Had a few dings and creases and shot them an angry email, and they gave me a full refund. Then I saw the devastation in this thread and realized I was actually pretty lucky.

Apparently I never cancelled my gamestop preorder, so I've got another one coming. Guess I'll see if they can do better.

I'm bringing my 3DS with me to Disney World over the weekend. Hopefully it's worth lugging it around all day for street passes.

VRMN

3523-2150-5412

Please give me an add; the social features sound neat, but I don't know anyone else playing the game.

NogibTC

Banned
I'll take a beat up box if it means I'll get a CE.

still don't think I'm getting it though. I don't like this delayed shipping stuff. Something seems off.

In the same boat. No shipping and I ordered two months ago. Something is seriously wrong when the earlier orders haven't shipped.

oakenhild

I decided to take a little break to read D's Journal. And let me tell you, it's pretty sweet! The sketches are such a nice touch.

Though if you read too far ahead it might be a bit spoilery. I am unsure why it's all unlocked from the get go.

I read the whole journal in one go. Sort of seemed like I was supposed to. Was definitely better than I expected.

Definitely better than the demo, though I did enjoy the demo. Received my (crushed) Collectors Edition and it's really nice for only $10 more though I'm still very upset over it being completely crushed. Amazon is sending a replacement and they assured me they will ship it in a box this time but I'm fully expecting another crushed Collectors Edition in a Bubble Mailer. Gamestop and Best Buy are OOS of course so looks like I'm stuck with what they send as the replacement or I can pay eBay prices for it. Frustrating....

I'll be adding a few of you shortly. Feel free to add me as well FC: 2809-8861-2752

oakenhild

So far I really like it. The voice acting is cringe, though.

I don't mind most of the voice acting (in fact, I'm surprised it has VA). There are a few voices that instantly make you picture them sitting in some studio with a mic though. Not sure how else to explain the feeling. It's just too far off from what the characters appearances are, or something, not sure.

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to read it.

Quixzlizx

That's sticker residue. Likely the shrinkwrap came off during shipping to the store and they had to put some sort of label on it (probably a pickup label). Did you pick it up in store?

Yes. The problem is that it isn't reside. The surface is smooth... it's just that the box's finish is trashed.

Seda

I don't mind most of the voice acting (in fact, I'm surprised it has VA). There are a few voices that instantly make you picture them sitting in some studio with a mic though. Not sure how else to explain the feeling. It's just too far off from what the characters appearances are, or something, not sure.

Yeah, there's some spotty voice acting and some spotty voice sound quality.

Man, I absolutely ADORED the demo to this and was all hyped to buy it on day one until my finances diminished to the point of only being able to buy either this or Tropical Freeze. I was on the fence until I read about the aspect that most reviews are complaining about...

doing the same four dungeons FIVE TIMES IN A ROW? What in the actual hell is that all about? In my two decades of gaming I can't think of an instance where padding is that egregious. It sounds just horrible, and if it weren't possible to fast forward through battles and lower encounter rates I'm sure I'd just quit playing at that part.

Because of that I've been tipped towards the Expand Dong side of things.

It's still lovely reading all of these impressions though, and I hope you blokes continue to enjoy it!

B.K.

I've got a 3DS and XL. How can I use the two of them for Streetpass for
Norende residents
?

fates

Man, I absolutely ADORED the demo to this and was all hyped to buy it on day one until my finances diminished to the point of only being able to buy either this or Tropical Freeze. I was on the fence until I read about the aspect that most reviews are complaining about...

doing the same four dungeons FIVE TIMES IN A ROW? What in the actual hell is that all about? In my two decades of gaming I can't think of an instance where padding is that egregious. It sounds just horrible, and if it weren't possible to fast forward through battles and lower encounter rates I'm sure I'd just quit playing at that part.

Because of that I've been tipped towards the Expand Dong side of things.

It's still lovely reading all of these impressions though, and I hope you blokes continue to enjoy it!

whatever you do don't eat it.

In the same boat. No shipping and I ordered two months ago. Something is seriously wrong when the earlier orders haven't shipped.

I'll be honest and say I preordered sort of late (Dec 21st). But there are people on the discussion board who managed to order on Dec 30th and they have had their's shipped. I don't think it's "first come first serve", I think they are just randomly drawing orders and shipping them.

May16

I read about the aspect that most reviews are complaining about...

Yeah that's annoying as shit, until
you realize why.
It IS definitely a slog to
have to do the same dungeons and bosses again and again
, but at least you
learn more details about the story and HOW everything went down, with each fight
. The
"true ending" that you get for doing all of them
takes some diligence, but is pretty epic. If you want to
get an ending before that
, you can, and it's pretty decent as well.

So what's the early verdict for VA track? JP or Eng?

I tried both and although the JP VA is overall better acted, I actually like using the English VA better. The acting isn't that bad (some characters are quite good actually) and its nice to hear the game in a language I understand. It's personal preference really.

Seda

Just completed the intro chapter. I tend to enjoy job systems a lot, so I'm not surprised this is hitting the right notes for me, especially now that I have a handful of jobs and a full party. Tinkering with different class/subclass abilities and equip set ups is probably what I'll enjoy most out of this game, so I'm definitely eager to get more classes to throw into the mix. I'm not sure what I think about the default/brave system just yet though, I'll have to see how it incorporates into battle strats for tougher boss encounters. I wonder how puzzly/intricate dungeons end up later in the game. Early dungeons were a little simple but that's to be expected early on.

The music is all around excellent, love all the wind instrumentation.

On to chapter 1.

Moonlight

Banned
I haven't tried JP yet but I think I'm fine with English so far. Some of the voices aren't so hot, like Tiz and Agnes (and beefcake pirate guy sounds straight up terrible), but Ringabel and Edea sound pretty good to me.

I've been thinking of giving JP audio a spin, though, just to see.

I was hoping to play this this weekend but UPS apparently had other plans.

Xc4FNuC.png

May16

I wonder how puzzly/intricate dungeons end up later in the game. Early dungeons were a little simple but that's to be expected early on.
Not very puzzly like on an FFX Cloister of Trials level or anything; the puzzlement of later dungeons is exploration based. "This staircase took me back to floor 6, so...lemme go back and see where that other staircase was gonna take me...aha, a secret room, with yet another staircase to..." That kind of thing.

So what's the early verdict for VA track? JP or Eng?
I think the English is getting a bad rap because people don't realize it is intentionally overacted. To me it's like critcizing the Simpsons because Homer is a stupid man who makes illogical choices. I found the voice acting to be great, because of how funny it is. The game itself is simultaneously making fun of RPGs and delivering the evolution of those very things it mocks. That's why it's so brilliant. You can tell the creators really loved making this, and really love the genre's history.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I've got a 3DS and XL. How can I use the two of them for Streetpass for
Norende residents
?

I'm wondering the same thing.

I picked up a copy from Best Buy at 4:00pm today. There were no copies on the sales floor, I asked a group of three employees if they had any copies... they looked at me like I was FREAKING OUT OF MY MIND for asking them a question about a game. I walked them back over to the 3DS section and said, "Do you have this game, the one you have three advertisements posted for?". The sales lady looked embarrassed, and she goes to "check in the back".

She comes back and I hear her talking on her radio, "This game came out today, we have advertisements for it all over the video game section, AND WE ONLY HAD ONE COPY?". So I lucked out and got the ONLY copy the store received.

In Austin, Texas... mind you. Not some small town. At least they spammed their video game section for three separate card board advertisements! (Pre-order today! Available Feb 7th)

for those who have actually finished the game (obvious spoilers incoming):

what would you have done to make the latter part of the game less tedious, having to go around and awaken the crystals so many damn times
cut down the number of cycles? I probably would've preferred it at 2 extra cycles instead of 4, the first one could be a combination of chapters 5/6 plotwise with a dash (inb4 puns) of 7's extra battles while the second one could be like chapter 8)

edit: and also that way Airy's wings would start at four from Ringabel's past

Not too far in yet, as I just got home from picking up my CE, but I'm loving it thus far. I've a feeling that Lightning returning is going to have to take a back seat to this for a while.

Also, I'm adding most of the FC's I come across in this thread.
Mine is 2492-4141-8846
Add away!

Seda

Not very puzzly like on an FFX Cloister of Trials level or anything; the puzzlement of later dungeons is exploration based. "This staircase took me back to floor 6, so...lemme go back and see where that other staircase was gonna take me...aha, a secret room, with yet another staircase to..." That kind of thing.

Right, if there's 'something to figure out' rather than a mostly straight path with a few chests at a short branch dead ends, then I will probably appreciate the dungeon design.

I think the English is getting a bad rap because people don't realize it is intentionally overacted. To me it's like critcizing the Simpsons because Homer is a stupid man who makes illogical choices. I found the voice acting to be great, because of how funny it is. The game itself is simultaneously making fun of RPGs and delivering the evolution of those very things it mocks. That's why it's so brilliant. You can tell the creators really loved making this, and really love the genre's history.

Er, I wouldn't say the voice-acting / dialogue is 'mocking' poor voice acting of the old days or anything like that. It feels to me it has a bit of a 'cartoonish' direction, perhaps. Exaggerated accents, Ringabel's somewhat cheesy dramatic tone, etc. Still, there are certainly a few voices that I'm not gelling with all too much.

VA discussion?
I wish there was an option to mute Agnes and Airy's voices, and nobody else's

Right, if there's 'something to figure out' rather than a mostly straight path with a few chests at a short branch dead ends, then I will probably appreciate the dungeon design.

turn off encounters, clear whole dungeons #champion

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
FC is 1118-0259-1800

If you can, PM me if you add me and I'll go and check for your FC. I'll try to add as I go.

I'm still adding people. Please feel free to add me 3625-9397-8180.

PM me and ill add you back asap.

I'm also adding everyone who posts their FC from now on and a few pages back.

My 3DS Friend Code: 4785 5303 9215

Anyone can add me. I'll be playing a lot. Pm if you do!

0705-2549-2806

I switch it on and off depending on what's comfortable at the time, or if there is a new monster or cool scene.

Sent a PM to everybody I added.

For anyone I forgot, feel free to add me. My friend code is 1461-7154-9357, just send me a PM back and I'll add you back once I see it.

Me too....three....forty-five?

5258-0233-2151

Added everyone in the thread so far and sent a PM. Here's my code

1005-9452-9684

4742-6699-6179 add me as well.

3523-2150-5412

Please give me an add; the social features sound neat, but I don't know anyone else playing the game.

Definitely better than the demo, though I did enjoy the demo. Received my (crushed) Collectors Edition and it's really nice for only $10 more though I'm still very upset over it being completely crushed. Amazon is sending a replacement and they assured me they will ship it in a box this time but I'm fully expecting another crushed Collectors Edition in a Bubble Mailer. Gamestop and Best Buy are OOS of course so looks like I'm stuck with what they send as the replacement or I can pay eBay prices for it. Frustrating....

I'll be adding a few of you shortly. Feel free to add me as well FC: 2809-8861-2752

FC:3024-5320-8335
Go ahead and add me folks, just send me a PM if you do.

Not too far in yet, as I just got home from picking up my CE, but I'm loving it thus far. I've a feeling that Lightning returning is going to have to take a back seat to this for a while.

Also, I'm adding most of the FC's I come across in this thread.
Mine is 2492-4141-8846
Add away!

Just added everyone on this page. Mine is 3711-7239-3957

May16

Er, I wouldn't say the voice-acting / dialogue is 'mocking' poor voice acting of the old days or anything like that.
It's not mocking poor voice acting, it feels like it's mocking the tropes themselves, or the old scripts. Mocking, and yet loving.

I liken it unto someone reading "YOU SPOONY BAAAAARD" in a super serious tone. It wouldn't have any choice but to sound ridiculous. (I'm aware that this specific choice was more of a translation thing that was different Japanese, but the scripts in Japanese were still not exactly renown for their epic prose.)

It feels to me it has a bit of a 'cartoonish' direction, perhaps. Exaggerated accents, Ringabel's somewhat cheesy dramatic tone, etc.
Exactly! That's the self parody I speak of! ^_^

It's also one reason Earthbound was so amazing. How the mother and father are just blatantly "Oh so you're going on an adventure? Welp, seeya later!" mocking and yet embracing that aspect of RPG stories. And that's why we love it.

Dreavus

I haven't tried JP yet but I think I'm fine with English so far. Some of the voices aren't so hot, like Tiz and Agnes (and beefcake pirate guy sounds straight up terrible), but Ringabel and Edea sound pretty good to me.

I've been thinking of giving JP audio a spin, though, just to see.

ALL OF MY DREAMS

(I've liked his lines so far!)

Seda

It's not mocking poor voice acting, it feels like it's mocking the tropes themselves, or the old scripts. Mocking, and yet loving.

I liken it unto someone reading "YOU SPOONY BAAAAARD" in a super serious tone. It wouldn't have any choice but to sound ridiculous. (I'm aware that this specific choice was more of a translation thing that was different Japanese, but the scripts in Japanese were still not exactly renown for their epic prose.)

Exactly! That's the self parody I speak of! ^_^

It's also one reason Earthbound was so amazing. How the mother and father are just blatantly "Oh so you're going on an adventure? Welp, seeya later!" mocking and yet embracing that aspect of RPG stories. And that's why we love it.

Ah, I misinterpreted your statements.

Top Bottom