• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I just realized why the character name Holly Whyte was bothering me,
obviously
a breaking Bad cameo.

Marcus

is there a point in this game when Agnes stops acting so "princess-y" and stuck-up? her personality is really killing the early parts of the game for me

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Exactly! That's the self parody I speak of! ^_^

It's also one reason Earthbound was so amazing. How the mother and father are just blatantly "Oh so you're going on an adventure? Welp, seeya later!" mocking and yet embracing that aspect of RPG stories. And that's why we love it.
Yeah, it's the subtle touch there. The way the king was so cheesy is when it first hit me, then the party chat with Agnes in the cave is when I was sure it was on purpose. If it were played up more it would be too much and wouldn't be material to become classic, but it's at just the right level here.

is there a point in this game when Agnes stops acting so "princess-y" and stuck-up? her personality is really killing the early parts of the game for me
really? I love her so much because of that. but that didn't stop me from posting this.

I'm another that got a crushed CE from Amazon. They had no stock for a replacement, but much to my surprise I got a full refund. I'll see on Sunday/Monday if I can find one at a Gamestop that someone forgets to pick up, however unlikely that may be.

Just wondering why they thought it would be such an awesome idea to ship these in bubble mailers.

Rather enjoying the game so far. Playing with the English dub because I've met about 80% of the voice cast... I have to listen to it so I can bug them about awkward line deliveries at a later date.

Oh! Bryce Papenbrook is Tiz and he's a pretty cool guy. Anyone with a taste for the worst kind of anime.. will note that he's also the main male character in Eiken.

He's also Zidane in Dissidia for those keeping track.

There's a few characters where I'm like.. Oh, Stephanie Sheh. Yup. That's Stephanie Sheh. (Airy) I'm looking forward to running into Kyle Herbert's character as well as others I know.

Halfmunch

I'm another that got a crushed CE from Amazon. They had no stock for a replacement, but much to my surprise I got a full refund. I'll see on Sunday/Monday if I can find one at a Gamestop that someone forgets to pick up, however unlikely that may be.

Just wondering why they thought it would be such an awesome idea to ship these in bubble mailers.

Did you have to return the game? My C.E. Was crushed as well from Amazon. LOL

hitmon

Am I missing out on much if I haven't finished the demo yet as far as unique items or goodies? I know the demo is a side story, but does it impact the main game's story in anyway?

I'll take a beat up box if it means I'll get a CE.

Amazon charged me for the CE, still don't think I'm getting it though. I don't like this delayed shipping stuff. Something seems off.

Here's what happened to me:

Pre-ordered CE on December 3.

I got the "We shipped your order e-mail" yesterday. Sweet!

Earlier today, they tell me there was a processing error and they made me a replacement order with no ship date. Boo!

I e-mail them to complain, and the CS rep responds by cancelling my replacement order and issuing me a refund. What the fuck, ask first why don't you?

I e-mail them again to complain about CS, and they tell me that since the refund was already processed, they can't create another replacement order, and they don't have stock, so they suggested I buy from a third party seller and give me an additional $30 to make up the difference in price (which, by the time I received the e-mail, wasn't enough anymore). It's certainly not enough to make up for the delay to me, since I already went ahead and spent an additional $40 to buy the game digitally. Easily the worst experience buying from Amazon I've ever had.

Gaz_RB

Am I missing out on much if I haven't finished the demo yet as far as unique items or goodies? I know the demo is a side story, but does it impact the main game's story in anyway?

Nope, no worries. It just gives you a little head start item wise. Nothing important.

JLeack

Banned
I just got into the nuts and bolts of the class system. As a Final Fantasy Tactics fanatic, I approve.

I would also like to mention that I feel as if the visuals look muddy in 2D, but outstanding in 3D. I normally play in 3D about 75% of the time when playing a 3DS game, but for Bravely Default I'm spending 100% of my time in 3D. It's like an artbook come to life.

B.K.

I just got to Chapter 1 and
the first subscenario, for what I assume is the thief job, unlocked. Do they ever expire?

terrisus

Apropos of nothing, I just have to say I absolutely love the sounds in the starting town at night time.
Crickets, a gentle breeze, and just quiet. It's so peaceful and relaxing.

Hardly feels like video games ever have anything like that - they always seem to have some overblown music playing in the background or something.

I just got into the nuts and bolts of the class system. As a Final Fantasy Tactics fanatic, I approve.

I would also like to mention that I feel as if the visuals look muddy in 2D, but outstanding in 3D. I normally play in 3D about 75% of the time when playing a 3DS game, but for Bravely Default I'm spending 100% of my time in 3D. It's like an artbook come to life.

Yeah, I typically use the 3D so little that I forget that the system's main gimmick is the 3D. Of the hundreds of hours I've spent playing 3DS games, I figure less than 20 were in 3D. The 3D in this game looks really good, though, so I may play the entire thing in 3D.

For a JRPG so traditional, it's oddly appealing to someone who typically dislikes Japanese RPGs. I think the save system has a lot to do with that, but the art style is fantastic and I love that defense is actually a worthwhile choice in battle that's also rewarded.

Sold out everywhere here so I had to buy it digitally. Will probably hate myself for that down the line.

Leeness

Gots myself some new jobs :)

Time Mage and spell fencer! Won't change yet because I want to keep my team on the jobs they have, maybe until completion (level 15?).

My CE came from Amazon in a bubble mailer, and here's what happened:
C6A7FC8D-DCB7-453D-83C9-E9F1EEBFEDCA.jpg~original

8CF21574-DA04-42D8-ABFF-98FDAA7FE0EB.jpg~original

9956AF0C-D0C5-4AA2-8380-2A912395B4EA.jpg~original

Was gonna process a return and just go digital, but I noticed people are looking for the CE. If you don't mind having some dings in the corner, PM me for details.

scy

Man, I completely missed everything about this release ... though by the look of things, maybe it ended up "for the best" with all these CE issues.

Well, I apparently have like $45 e-shop credit so I guess I should just grab this then :x

May16

Time Mage and spell fencer! Won't change yet because I want to keep my team on the jobs they have, maybe until completion (level 15?).

For your own sake, please don't. This is a fine idea on paper, but terrible in the context of this game, you'll discover. You'll want to change things up often. Your second ability is almost as important as your primary, in boss battles. Furthermore,
You won't be getting enough JP to level up jobs past level 8 or 9, until you break into a certain area of the world map.

Leeness

For your own sake, please don't. This is a fine idea on paper, but terrible in the context of this game, you'll discover. You'll want to change things up often. Your second ability is almost as important as your primary, in boss battles. Furthermore,
You won't be getting enough JP to level up jobs past level 8 or 9, until you break into a certain area of the world map.

Oh yeah?

Fiiiiiiine I'll swap :p I have so much anxiety about not finishing jobs haha. It's a completionist thing.

BUT IF YOU SAY SO

pls, you can beat the game easily enough with just Black Mages #Reflectstrats

For shits sake Amazon! Put this stuff in a box and problem solved. Everything else I order from amazon is in a fucking box.

So so stupid. If my box is damaged I'm getting my money back.

Soul Beat

I feel for ya guys. Mine was a little damaged as well, but it was the only copy I could locate so I had to grab it.

Year of the Bubble Mailer.

terrisus

Well, just got my 4th party member, and another job.
That's enough for today I think.

Sleep, and then more Bravely Default tomorrow.
Oh yeah, I have schoolwork to be doing too... Bah.

Xerotwo

Damn, this game's been taking the whole day for me
I'm still on chapter 1

Anyways, add my friend code and PM me for yours. Thanks!

3711 6795 4578

Totakeke

Hard mode with normal encounter rate is.... hard. I'm out of cash and items already. Monk skills stop missing so much thanks.

On the other hand I can summon friends in battle and have them OHKO bosses... soooo.

Also isn't ablink kinda broken? There's no limitation to it is there?

JLeack

Banned
Hard mode with normal encounter rate is.... hard. I'm out of cash and items already. Monk skills stop missing so much thanks.

On the other hand I can summon friends in battle and have them OHKO bosses... soooo.

Also isn't ablink kinda broken? There's no limitation to it is there?

Both those systems are easy mode.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
My FC is 3523 3329 8903. "Kintaro on GAF" is my message. ^^

This game is so good. Where has THIS SquareEnix been? =D

demidar

If you guys don't mind, I'm gonna go through this thread and collate everyone's friend code (Mods tell me if this isn't okay).

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
My Amazon CE copy came damaged. I have asked them to be more careful when handling and shipping collector editions. Unfortunately, they cannot be replaced as easily as other items.

cU5t2wo.jpg

Now, to finally play the game!

Velcro Fly

Yeah if mine comes dinged I'm going to complain. I normally don't care but a collector's edition should obviously be handled with care.

Eusis

Man, really glad I was impatient this time given everyone's boxes.

By the way, any way to start from the very beginning in Japanese? I may stick with English just because the game started that way with no option to change, but if there's anything other than presumably a NG+ I'll rewatch the start quickly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just got Ringabell and all I have to say is I loooove the characters and dialogue in this game.
Gonna read his journal/fanfic thing then go to bed for now.

Also, summoning friends (including "guests") is ridiculously OP. I was like "maybe I should use a potion... orrrr this just beat the boss for me" I don't think I'll be using that feature much.

Top Bottom