• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Crumbtiny

Just an hour or so in and loving it. Have been waiting on this game since it was announced.

FC is 5284-2336-6820

PM me and let me know if you add me so I can add you back. Hope everyone enjoys the game!

My Amazon CE copy came damaged. I have asked them to be more careful when handling and shipping collector editions. Unfortunately, they cannot be replaced as easily as other items.

cU5t2wo.jpg

Now, to finally play the game!

Did you let amazon know? I'm curious what they are doing. If the box is all damaged what's the point?

It makes me not want to deal with Amazon in the future.

So hmmm...

I unlocked the Thief asterisk by beating Thief in his cave, and now back in Ancheim (sp?). I'm going over to Merchant's office and telling him the jig is up, but it looks like I get to fight him and Bodyguard. How am I supposed to do this fight??? His Takeover attack lops off 300 HP each time regardless of protect or default and he's got 6k HP :( Basically I can't heal through Takeovers and Bodyguard's attacks, which eventually silence me as well grrrrrrr. Currently everyone is lv 17 except for Edea, who's at 16.

Also my FC is 3007-8076-1049. I'll try to add as many as I can!

Eusis

Did you let amazon know? I'm curious what they are doing. If the box is all damaged what's the point?

As much as I hate GameStop charging $5 extra... from them it seems more like an insurance tax in cases like this, haha.

LowParry

Just a friendly reminder of those who want to add me to their list. Let me know when you add me up and I'll get you on asap!

0104-0606-2901

Love love love this game. Goddamn SE. You've done me good with this and FFXIV. Now stick with the goodness goddammit!

Entering my first sub-dungeon!

Razma1

Box damaged on mine as well in the same spots as the previous picture. Also more around the top of the cards and a lot of misc damage around the outside. Already contacted Amazon not thrilled about it.

Eusis

I got my CE from Gamestop and had almost the exact same type of damaging to the package.
Damn, if I had it like that I'd probably consider just returning right then and there. Granted I wanted it mainly for the music CD and artbook so the box is technically just a delivery mechanism, but if I'm going to get worse treatment at $5 more then they can shove it.

But I think that's more likely to be a problem with employees than shipping since no one else was reporting that kind of damage, nevermind I'm assuming it's best when bought in store than online where they may make the same shipping slip ups anyway.

phorrest

Neo Member
So hmmm...

I unlocked the Thief asterisk by beating Thief in his cave, and now back in Ancheim (sp?). I'm going over to Merchant's office and telling him the jig is up, but it looks like I get to fight him and Bodyguard. How am I supposed to do this fight??? His Takeover attack lops off 300 HP each time regardless of protect or default and he's got 6k HP :( Basically I can't heal through Takeovers and Bodyguard's attacks, which eventually silence me as well grrrrrrr. Currently everyone is lv 17 except for Edea, who's at 16.

Also my FC is 3007-8076-1049. I'll try to add as many as I can!

I beat it around level 13. I just made sure that everybody stayed near full health and then used a phoenix down if somebody got hit by takeover twice. I also made sure to go into BP debt to get more than one attack in on the turns he's attacking so I didn't waste their attacks on the turns where he's defaulted.

I was streaming it, here's the VOD if you want to see how I beat him: http://www.twitch.tv/phorrest/b/501544272?t=4h59m

Giolon

I was really enjoying this game, until I got to the first save point out of town and then... Buy SP Drinks with your real money (or you can wait 8 hours of leaving your 3DS in sleep mode w/ the game running to get one)!

What in all the shits!? Pay-to-Win microtransactions in what everyone keeps hailing as one of the best old-school RPGs in years? I cannot be more disappointed in Square Enix

Eusis

I was really enjoying this game, until I got to the first save point out of town and then... Buy SP Drinks with your real money (or you can wait 8 hours of leaving your 3DS in sleep mode w/ the game running to get one)!

What in all the shits!? Pay-to-Win microtransactions in what everyone keeps hailing as one of the best old-school RPGs in years? I cannot be more disappointed in Square Enix
And it was added in this version too. But the real reason those are bad is because they go and break a game's balance to goad you into buying them, whereas here I don't think they wrecked the balance to go "buy these drinks", it's just for those with more money than skill/patience/dignity/intolerance-for-exploitation, whereas everyone else can play the game like something that actually respects that you already sunk in a decent chunk of money.

Kolma

Really glad I got my CE from BestBuy after Amazon was sold out.
Came in a HUGE box with those big bubbles.
Didn't notice any flaws on the CE itself so I'm very happy.
(Game is amazing btw)

JLeack

Banned
Any tips for early on? I'm in the second dungeon and being hit really hard and poisoned. My White Mage can't keep up with all the DPS of those leaders.

Razma1

Totally unneeded. You don't even need SP period to beat the entire game. It's just there for the mobile gaming crowd who blow money on beating candy crush levels.

Alright, manually adding and PMing FCs is draining at my sanity and it's already well into the morning - My FC is 5043-3176-7106. If anyone wants me, add me and PM me your code. I'll have anyone who adds me added to my list in about 12 hours. Need to get some rest before I pass out.

Here comes the horde(not meant in a bad way) telling you you never have to buy the drinks and they are not needed etc...(It is kind of true actually)

However all the same...this sets a bad precedence for future titles from the SquareEnix, I shudder to think what the sequel entails.

Remember publishers will go one step further every time until they are caught with their pants down,I'm worried for the future.

I do not speak for the game myself, this is going off the full play-through on YouTube and he didn't buy any nor did I see him having to wait for SP, however when the camera is off is a another story of course.

However due to it being in the game I on principle will not purchase this game, I'm sure I can live without one game.

demidar

Buy some SP Drinks! I'm kidding :)
Sadly, I'm not :(

I agree that they shouldn't even be in the game, considering you can just knock down the difficulty whenever you want. They also should've said "Use SP Drinks as a last resort!".

Playing on hard, I haven't really needed SP Drinks, and JRPGs usually have an inverse difficulty curve.

Eusis

Totally unneeded. You don't even need SP period to beat the entire game. It's just there for the mobile gaming crowd who blow money on beating candy crush levels.
I almost want to lock a lot of these people in a room with Dark Souls or something to (re?)learn how valuable it is to actually GET GOOD at a game rather than just throw all your money into winning, but some people genuinely would not be able to get a grip on using a controller. Well, there's probably enough that can get a hang of it.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member

I've let them know they need to give extra care when shipping collector items as they're difficult to replace.

They basically told me what DMPrince said below. I opted to keep it and they gave me a $20 partial refund.

they will probably ask if you want to return and get a full refund or partial refund if you keep it. since they'll just say it's not in stock obv.

duckroll

Any tips for early on? I'm in the second dungeon and being hit really hard and poisoned. My White Mage can't keep up with all the DPS of those leaders.

You should be able to kill orc leaders in the first turn if you brave 3-4 times with one monk, they should be the main damage dealers at this point. Hit them before they hit you.

aett

I beat it around level 13. I just made sure that everybody stayed near full health and then used a phoenix down if somebody got hit by takeover twice. I also made sure to go into BP debt to get more than one attack in on the turns he's attacking so I didn't waste their attacks on the turns where he's defaulted.

I was streaming it, here's the VOD if you want to see how I beat him: http://www.twitch.tv/phorrest/b/501544272?t=4h59m

Man, I'm level 19 or so and my characters are doing about half the physical damage that yours are, even with the best stuff I can buy.

Fortunately, I can deal with the damage, but I'm verrrrry slowly whittling down the bosses' HP. Hopefully my MP will hold out.

demidar

You should be able to kill orc leaders in the first turn if you brave 3-4 times with one monk, they should be the main damage dealers at this point. Hit them before they hit you.

Hey duckroll, can I post a list of everyone's friend codes in this thread?

Eusis

Drove to two Wal-Marts after work to try and find it. Instead, found nothing.

Night ruined.
The only games I'd reliably count on Walmart for are games like Call of Duty. Never a non-FF/Pokemon JRPG, though this had the best chance being Nintendo.

EDIT: And maybe I should share my code buuut I suspect I won't have enough space on my list. Shame Nintendo didn't look at Microsoft and Sony and go "oh, people are running into limits we should probably have a higher one" rather than going "yeah I guess 100 must be good enough."

phorrest

Neo Member
Man, I'm level 19 or so and my characters are doing about half the physical damage that yours are, even with the best stuff I can buy.

Fortunately, I can deal with the damage, but I'm verrrrry slowly whittling down the bosses' HP. Hopefully my MP will hold out.

Do you have them as knights with the two-handed skill and only one weapon equipped?
It's kind of counter-intuitive, but to get the skill to work you need to have one hand be empty.

Seda

Partway into chapter one, got the
Thief and Merchant
jobs. So far so good. Bosses give an appropriate amount of challenge, and now I have enough jobs to manage and tinker with.

Too bad I have a lot of work to do tomorrow so I might not get much playing time in .... mrgrgr

Drove to two Wal-Marts after work to try and find it. Instead, found nothing.

Night ruined.

Place I got it at was by my luck on their last copy. Felt bad for the SoB who came in just after me who was looking for it while I was busy trading in some old 7th-gen relics I hadn't touched in years.

The only games I'd reliably count on Walmart for are games like Call of Duty. Never a non-FF/Pokemon JRPG, though this had the best chance being Nintendo.

They had, like, 5 copies of Project x Zone, a few Fire Emblems, and even a copy of Dragon Quest VI (if it was V, I would have bought it in a heartbeat). I'm sure this is the same thing that happened to me when I went to buy Mario and Luigi: Dream Team in that it'll be put out in about a week.

Eusis

Place I got it at was by my luck on their last copy. Felt bad for the SoB who came in just after me who was looking for it while I was busy trading in some old 7th-gen relics I hadn't touched in years.
Heh, that reminded me: when I was coming in for it I was held up because of a guy trading in a Wii and a handful of Wii games he had. For all of that he only got about $36, whereas Need For Speed Rivals got me about $32. Crazy that game's almost as valuable as Wii, not that will last if Most Wanted's any indication. Also a big reason I traded it in: saw most of what the game had to offer and was getting frustrated the last few times I played it, and if I want it again I can probably get it for about $15 in a year, one way or another.
They had, like, 5 copies of Project x Zone, a few Fire Emblems, and even a copy of Dragon Quest VI (if it was V, I would have bought it in a heartbeat). I'm sure this is the same thing that happened to me when I went to buy Mario and Luigi: Dream Team in that it'll be put out in about a week.
Guess that's one of the better ones then (though most of those examples are also why I imagine Nintendo released ones are the best bet), though the other angle I was thinking of was that even if they got them in they'd be terrible for day one because Walmart on a whole likely just does not give a damn, whereas something like CoD is actually important enough to go "yes yes we have it we'll put it out ASAP."

Guess that's one of the better ones then (though most of those examples are also why I imagine Nintendo released ones are the best bet), though the other angle I was thinking of was that even if they got them in they'd be terrible for day one because Walmart on a whole likely just does not give a damn, whereas something like CoD is actually important enough to go "yes yes we have it we'll put it out ASAP."

True. I guess I'll try back tomorrow and if nothing is there, I'll call up the GameStops and local gaming shops around town to see if anything is still there. Don't want to resort to downloading it.

aett

Do you have them as knights with the two-handed skill and only one weapon equipped?
It's kind of counter-intuitive, but to get the skill to work you need to have one hand be empty.

Hm, nope, I didn't have the two-handed skill equipped. My monk was doing pretty good damage, mostly because I was able to buy an awesome glove weapon from Norende. Ah well, in any case, I won the fight.

I think I'm going to stop for the night. I just finished up the first sub-quest in chapter one and unlocked both the
Theif & Merchant
jobs. Can't believe the game teased me twice, totally thought that the
Sword Mage job
was in the bag both times I fought him.

So can you only update your own summon data once a day? And the Ablink feature is pretty sweet. Turns out one of my existing 3DS got an early copy from NOA and she has most of the jobs at 8 or higher. So now Tiz sporting a nice 1.5 JP support skill.

Speaking of support skills, when do earn another point to use? My team are all Lvl 14 and only have 1 point each.

joe2187

Banned
I noticed a tear in that same corner as well.

My game was packaged very very well.

Im beginning to think the CE box itself is just prone to ripping with even the slightest bit of force.

Top Bottom