• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Gaz_RB

Man who came up with friend codes? Such a horrible idea...

It's supposed to protect kids from pedophiles or something?

Animekatt

I have always felt weird about adding people as "friends" when they are just random forum posters. It's a dilemma for me, since it would be neat to have some here.

So far, the only thing that initially disappointed me about this game is the hidden items scattered around. I was never a fan of rustling around in random furniture, plants, barrels, etc to find a potion or money. Why the hell would there be potion or money in a plant? The saving grace here is that the game prompts you with the "(A) examine" on-screen when you are near a hidden item, so I don't have to hammer on the button comstantly.

That's one of my favorite things to do in a JRPG. I love going to a random person's house and rummaging through their things for 50g. I am very glad they have the prompts too.

Too bad I'm at work, or I'd be playing right now. I did manage to get the Black Mage job beforehand. Also, when I updated my profile, I received 3 new friends. I guess when someone adds my friend code, they automatically come to my game?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
When buying equipment, what's the little B that sometimes appears next to a character's portrait in the bottom stats screen?

demidar

That's one of my favorite things to do in a JRPG. I love going to a random person's house and rummaging through their things for 50g. I am very glad they have the prompts too.

Too bad I'm at work, or I'd be playing right now. I did manage to get the Black Mage job beforehand. Also, when I updated my profile, I received 3 new friends. I guess when someone adds my friend code, they automatically come to my game?

One of my favourite things about JRPGs is the towns and their atmospheres. It's a shame that the towns aren't that fleshed out in terms of enter-able buildings, but what you can walk around sure is pretty. The hand-drawn textures was a great design choice.

As to villagers, every day you can Update Data to get 4 profiles from other players (I don't know if they are actual players or just AI :S). You can Summon them in battle and they each give you an extra villager for Norande. I don't actually know if you can do the same with 3DS friends though, today is the first day I actually have friends.

...that last line sounded so pathetic lol

When buying equipment, what's the little B that sometimes appears next to a character's portrait in the bottom stats screen?

It's equipment aptitude and it's dependent on the character's job i.e. Swordmasters have an S aptitude in swords, Knights have S aptitude with shields and A with armour, etc.

I believe it's their affinity/rank with using that particular item. No idea if having an S rank in that piece makes it have bonus stats or if you just take a penalty if you suck at equiping it though.

Renoir

It's over..
They have a book I got to fill up ..
Good bye world. Haven't felt like this for a game in a long time.

One of my favourite things about JRPGs is the towns and their atmospheres. It's a shame that the towns aren't that fleshed out in terms of enter-able buildings, but what you can walk around sure is pretty. The hand-drawn textures was a great design choice.

As to villagers, every day you can Update Data to get 4 profiles from other players (I don't know if they are actual players or just AI :S). You can Summon them in battle and they each give you an extra villager for Norande. I don't actually know if you can do the same with 3DS friends though, today is the first day I actually have friends.

...that last line sounded so pathetic lol

It's equipment aptitude and it's dependent on the character's job i.e. Swordmasters have an S aptitude in swords, Knights have S aptitude with shields and A with armour, etc.

I think its between 3-5 (I've gotten 3 both days in a row) and they're definitely players, I just got Duckroll lol

As for friends, seems like you can only have a total of 20 friends loaded up at one time, anything above that, the game will ask you to delete some until youre at lvl 20. Also "Update" seems to refresh both your stats (so your friends can get an updated version of your character) as well as check to see if any of your friends have updated recently. So for everyone's sake, Update as much as possible since it also saves your game :)

Synless

Man, the backgrounds remind me of Saga Frontier 2 which is a good thing. I didn't think I would play another RPG with beautiful backgrounds like that again.

FryHole

Would a B be better than no letter appearing at all then?

The only time no letter appears is when it's a piece of equipment that doesn't require any kind of proficiency to use, like hats and robes (versus helms and armour), in which case all characters in any kind of job get the same benefit from equipping them. Additionally, proficiency only confers a bonus, never a penalty - an equipment E rating means the character gets 100% of the described benefit, and as you rise through the ratings this increases each time til an S rating gets 200%.

demidar

I think its between 3-5 (I've gotten 3 both days in a row) and they're definitely players, I just got Duckroll lol

As for friends, seems like you can only have a total of 20 friends loaded up at one time, anything above that, the game will ask you to delete some until youre at lvl 20. Also "Update" seems to refresh both your stats (so your friends can get an updated version of your character) as well as check to see if any of your friends have updated recently. So for everyone's sake, Update as much as possible since it also saves your game :)

Duckroll? Weird, I guess he has a NA 3DS?

This game is so good! Been waiting for a great jRPG since Lost Odyssey and thankfully this game had delivered so far.

Anywho, here's my friend code. Please add me and let me know so I can add you too. Thanks!

4527-7857-4091

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm having trouble with understanding how gaining XP works in the game. Like yesterday, I was fighting mob groups that gave me around 60XP total if I at least got the one turn bonus. When I started grinding a bit today, the bonus jumped to +20 and I suddently got 80XP per battle.

Now I didn't even reset the game...and the same group of monsters, are back to 60XP with the same bonus...That's weird.

Branson

Since this is like older square RPGs can you change the names of the people in your party? It helps me get immersed if I can do that

Maybesew

So hmmm...

I unlocked the Thief asterisk by beating Thief in his cave, and now back in Ancheim (sp?). I'm going over to Merchant's office and telling him the jig is up, but it looks like I get to fight him and Bodyguard. How am I supposed to do this fight??? His Takeover attack lops off 300 HP each time regardless of protect or default and he's got 6k HP :( Basically I can't heal through Takeovers and Bodyguard's attacks, which eventually silence me as well grrrrrrr. Currently everyone is lv 17 except for Edea, who's at 16.

Also my FC is 3007-8076-1049. I'll try to add as many as I can!

What classes are you? I just did that fight last night at the same level as you and didn't have issues.

I'm having trouble with understanding how gaining XP works in the game. Like yesterday, I was fighting mob groups that gave me around 60XP total if I at least got the one turn bonus. When I started grinding a bit today, the bonus jumped to +20 and I suddently got 80XP per battle.

Now I didn't even reset the game...and the same group of monsters, are back to 60XP with the same bonus...That's weird.

You probably had one-turn hero? (or ace?) Forget the correct name for it. The 1 turn kill bonus gets better the longer you have it going. The third one (10 battles in a row) gets you around +20 bonus xp and it probably scales further but I'm not there yet so I can't say for sure.

frogg609

Added everyone who pm'ed me. I'll go through this list later and add a bunch of you and send pms. Now to play for a little bit before work.

May16

You probably had one-turn hero? (or ace?) Forget the correct name for it. The 1 turn kill bonus gets better the longer you have it going. The third one (10 battles in a row) gets you around +20 bonus xp and it probably scales further but I'm not there yet so I can't say for sure.

This explains it pretty well.

Gonna use spoiler tags here, but it's for mechanics, not story. Some people like to make those discoveries on their own, so I'll tag 'em for now.
"
For every battle you finish in your team's first opportunity to act, you’ll earn 10% more experience points. That means if you defeat your opponents in one turn, you’ll increase the pace you level up. Continuing your One Turn streaks will allow for further experience boosts. In fact, finish 10 battles in a row (in just one move) and One Turn will double the experience bonus to 20% per battle. 10 more battles finished with One Turn will further your EXP boost with a 50% experience bonus per battle. You're on your way to maximum experience points.

Go out guns blazing if you want this bonus. If any foe survives your first turn, you won't get the bonus and your hot streak will be reset. This means you'll be back to fighting for the 10% bonus, even if you'd been getting 50% for some time.
"

Same FAQ has info about the JP bonus "unscathed" and money bonus "sweeper" as well.

rtcn63

I'm liking BD. It doesn't necessary reinvent the wheel, but as something targeted towards nostalgic JRPGers, it's far from offensive. The first few hours can be pretty tough due to having an incomplete party and limited job access, but once you get
swordsman Saiorse Ronan
and
the use of black magic
, combat becomes much more manageable. I haven't died once in the third or fourth dungeon, while having had to grind just to beat the first one with the Orcs. I've read the game falters 2/3rds of the way through, which is a common JRPG thing IIRC, so I'll try to make it at least that far.

Oh, and I never needed to buy an SP Drink or even deal with Norende much.

Soul Beat

Well...I updated the data this morning, message said I got 5 invites, but never got them in my village. And now I can't do it again 'til tomorrow.

Maybe I did it wrong or something.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

That might be it. But I'm not sure because I've been winning fights consistently for a long while now in a single turn and I can't get it up the same amount of XP no matter what. Even with the +24 to +28 bonus, I can't hit the numbers I had before. T_T

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well...I updated the data this morning, message said I got 5 invites, but never got them in my village. And now I can't do it again 'til tomorrow.

Maybe I did it wrong or something.

Thr invites are for friend summons I believe, in thr village you'll get streetpasses and random dudes from spotpass

Sorry if this has been asked a ton, but is it worth it to go back and do the demo for the 20 villager trick?

I already started the real game but only played for about an hour. Is it that hard to get the villagers otherwise, or is it that good of a head start to go for the villagers in the demo?

If so, how quickly can you get to the 20 villager trick section?

Top Bottom