• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Sorry if this has been asked a ton, but is it worth it to go back and do the demo for the 20 villager trick?

I already started the real game but only played for about an hour. Is it that hard to get the villagers otherwise, or is it that good of a head start to go for the villagers in the demo?

If so, how quickly can you get to the 20 villager trick section?

I think its about an hour or 2, you can get to the villager trick after you beat the first boss in the demo. Starting the game with 20 villages is definitely super useful. Turning all the save points into item shops is awesome (even if I can't afford any of the weapons/armor)

I thought that was the 'Add Friends' option was for. Oh well. At least I've got 5 right now.

Yeah adding friends allows you to summon them in battle as well as use Abilink (share abilities). For villagers, you have to "Update Data" once a day to get your villagers and I think that has nothing to do with friends or streetpass

Adamator

I also want to know if it's worth it to play the demo before you start the full game. I got the demo and played very little due to working on a few other games already. I planned to play the demo completely and then the game back to back when I actually dive into the game.

On that note, I wanted to ask about friend codes. Not to sound dumb, but what are the friends for in this game? Do you add friend codes within the game itself, or just through the 3DS friend app like any other game? I ask because I may not really get into this game for a couple of weeks, but I would still like to use the friends feature and build up my list.

My friend code is 4441-8318-5739. Please let me know if you add me. PM is best since I may miss the message here!

Edit: Crap forgot a digit in my code. Sorry about that!

andylsun

Thanks to everyone who added me to their friends list. Went from 1 friend (my daughter) to 21! Dedicated Bravely Default friends list

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Don't bother with the demo and go straight for the real game

rybrad

What is the level cap on shops in the village? I am glad I decided to play on hard because the 20 dudes from the demo gives you a huge headstart. I picked up some claws from the village shop and have been destroying things.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What is the level cap on shops in the village? I am glad I decided to play on hard because the 20 dudes from the demo gives you a huge headstart. I picked up some claws from the village shop and have been destroying things.
From what I'm hearing, it's 11.

Kadin

Question for you guys about the auto-battle system: Does it simply emulate whatever you last did manually? It seems to act a little odd to me, sometimes it will use maximum Bravely and other times it only does it once. It's not really a 'smart' battle system is it, in that it will use the most efficient options for each member, right?

FryHole

Question for you guys about the auto-battle system: Does it simply emulate whatever you last did manually? It seems to act a little odd to me, sometimes it will use maximum Bravely and other times it only does it once. It's not really a 'smart' battle system is it, in that it will use the most efficient options for each member, right?

Not smart at all - it simply mimics everything you did in the last 'round', to the best of its abilities ie if you used a Special attack last time then switch on auto, it'll just attack.

Kadin

Not smart at all - it simply mimics everything you did in the last 'round', to the best of its abilities ie if you used a Special attack last time then switch on auto, it'll just attack.
Okay cool, so you almost have to set it up properly before using it then. Makes sense, thanks.

God dammit. How big of a story spoiler did I just run into?

On another message board, someone posted the subtitle Flying Fairy, and bolded the words Lying Airy. Uh, fuck?

Doorman

Super early-game spoilers. Why do I get the sense that
there's some social commentary to be had here that the only way to get a job is to kill the person already doing it?

More seriously, to those who've played the game more, are the four members of the cast kind of urged toward certain roles in terms of their stat growths, or are they meant to be more blank slate-like with leveling up through certain jobs having the bigger effect? I'm trying to plan ahead future roles for my party and I would like to know if certain folks are more inclined toward magic or attack or speed before fitting them with an ill-suited job.

spiritfox

Super early-game spoilers. Why do I get the sense that
there's some social commentary to be had here that the only way to get a job is to kill the person already doing it?

More seriously, to those who've played the game more, are the four members of the cast kind of urged toward certain roles in terms of their stat growths, or are they meant to be more blank slate-like with leveling up through certain jobs having the bigger effect? I'm trying to plan ahead future roles for my party and I would like to know if certain folks are more inclined toward magic or attack or speed before fitting them with an ill-suited job.

You can see their base stats in the status screen. Tiz is a jack of all trades, while Agnes, Ringabell, and Edea specializes in magic, speed, and strength respectively. The difference isn't that much though, so unless you're min maxing just go whatever.

FryHole

God dammit. How big of a story spoiler did I just run into?

On another message board, someone posted the subtitle Flying Fairy, and bolded the words Lying Airy. Uh, fuck?

If you really want to know, I've tried to explain in the spoilered text in a way that hopefully retains a bit of mystery.
You start getting hints less than halfway through the game that Airy's not being totally upfront with the team. You can still keep playing and get enough reveals and revelations to enjoy the game, I think.

There is a very slight job preference for each character, but it's minor - you can give anyone any job without really worrying about it.

AEREC

Oh shoot, got to finish that demo! It's different from the game right?

Ya...also does anyone know if you can continue to play the Full game and finish the demo later and still receive the bonuses?

Kinda want to pick this up this weekend but still haven't completely finished the demo.

KarmaCow

Is there a recommended time to switch jobs? Should I generally wait until they max out, if they do max out?

The max level is 14 so I wouldn't try to max out jobs before switching. Just experiment and feel it out when the required JP to level seems dwarfed by the gains per battle.

FryHole

Is there a recommended time to switch jobs? Should I generally wait until they max out, if they do max out?

Jobs take a long time to max out - partway through the levels the JP requirement leaps up and you'll probably still be trying to maximise your first jobs halfway through the game if you approach it like that. Try every job, find ones you like and stick with them longer than others. Later on there's good grinding spots (and equipment that helps) that you can use to maximise everything. Early on I found myself with two characters pretty much always on one or two jobs, while the other two I switched around a lot.

I beat it around level 13. I just made sure that everybody stayed near full health and then used a phoenix down if somebody got hit by takeover twice. I also made sure to go into BP debt to get more than one attack in on the turns he's attacking so I didn't waste their attacks on the turns where he's defaulted.

I was streaming it, here's the VOD if you want to see how I beat him: http://www.twitch.tv/phorrest/b/501544272?t=4h59m
Ah, thanks phorrest!

I went back and tried again using the strategy you outlined and also tried using Knights instead of Thieves. I was basically defaulting too much and letting my attack turns synchronize with his default turn. Whoooops! It helps that I switched from Thieves to Knights, for that bit of extra HP and defense. Once I fixed those problems I could follow through with your strategy and succeed :)

What classes are you? I just did that fight last night at the same level as you and didn't have issues.
I was going a full team of
Thieves
at first since I was so happy to have something that could outspeed and kill those stupid sand wurms before I got blinded, but I didn't get around to switching back to Knights and keeping track of the
Merchant's
rhythm, both of which were pretty important. I managed to finish him off last night too!

Friend codes are tied to th 3DS. You get them by clicking on the smiling face icon on top of the main 3DS menu.

Also, at what level do you guys recommend me taking on the
thief side quest
?
I think it matters more to have a good strategy and good grasp for what to do during the fight than to have the right levels. That said, phorrest apparently did it around level 13, and Maybesew did it around the same level as me (17ish).

since I'm bored, Amazon rankings:

Bravely Default-2nd
BD Collector's Edition-7th

FFXIII: LR (PS3)-5th
FFXIII: LR (360)-40th

edit: you can beat the entire game at base levels, although of course this requires grinding
but more importantly, you can beat this game with random encounters off

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lololololololol. Yeah I have a US 3DS, since that's what they sell here. And yes my "region" is Canada because there's nothing in the Singapore eShop and I like being able to actually buy stuff. :p

You still never added me to your friend list since launch. :(

Baust

The max level is 14 so I wouldn't try to max out jobs before switching. Just experiment and feel it out when the required JP to level seems dwarfed by the gains per battle.

Jobs take a long time to max out - partway through the levels the JP requirement leaps up and you'll probably still be trying to maximise your first jobs halfway through the game if you approach it like that. Try every job, find ones you like and stick with them longer than others. Later on there's good grinding spots (and equipment that helps) that you can use to maximise everything. Early on I found myself with two characters pretty much always on one or two jobs, while the other two I switched around a lot.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm finding it hard to want to change Agnes and Edea (White and Black Mages). I've been switching Tiz and Ringabel around a lot, though.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Bravely Default-2nd

edit: you can beat the entire game at base levels, although of course this requires grinding
That's because everyone is buying off of the SE store for the LE.

Bravely Default-2nd

Everything is awesome if BD does better than LR.

Anybody who pmd me was added. My friend code is on my profile so anybody else who wants to add check there and pm me if you do add me.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Is there any sort of spoiler free guide to getting the right ending that allows for ng+, or at least a good spot to keep a separate save so you don't fuck yourself?

FryHole

Is there any sort of spoiler free guide to getting the right ending that allows for ng+, or at least a good spot to keep a separate save so you don't fuck yourself?

You can't really fuck yourself.
The way the game is designed it's the clear they intend for people to see both endings - after one ending, which the game pushes you towards, you are returned to just prior to the tipping point so you can continue on your merry way.

Okay, so how do you actually "streetpass". Are you just supposed to have your game on and the system closed and then it will recognize other people near you doing the same? Can I just close my system at any point while the game is on and it will stay fine that way?

Soul Beat

I think it matters more to have a good strategy and good grasp for what to do during the fight than to have the right levels. That said, phorrest apparently did it around level 13, and Maybesew did it around the same level as me (17ish).
Hmm...I see. I guess I'll go ahead and give it a shot. Thanks.

Edit -
The sage
is now my favorite character. lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
"Set support abilities!"
*has no support abilities*
*levels up twice in one-shot battles to get first one*

Maybe I should set this to hard? Or maybe setting no exp gain while developing the basics of a new job is a good idea.

Meanwhile, I was sent lvl20 monsters in my town. They don't break stuff while I spend time playing the story and reaching that level whenever, right?

FryHole

Meanwhile, I was sent lvl20 monsters in my town. They don't break stuff while I spend time playing the story and reaching that level whenever, right?

No, they just hang around intimidating the nearest villagers, but no damage is done.

RangerBAD

How am I netting friends without a ID, Mii or even having the 3DS' wifi on? It doesn't even leave my house.

Also, how do you send Nemeses (for the quest)?

Top Bottom