• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

If I have one complaint so far, it's what you can't enter most of the buildings in the towns so far. I don't know what it is about more recent JRPGs this past gen or so, but so many of them have just had towns be window dressing for the most part. I miss the days of being able to enter almost every building I saw, talking to NPCs, grabbing a few potions/gil/money, etc. I mean, I'm still loving the game so far, but kind of an annoyance, even if it's a small one.

Gaz_RB

Man that option to summon friends is crazy powerful. I just summoned this one guy and he did like 2500 damage, destroying this boss I was fighting in no time. Normally I'd have just died and grinded but I hadn't saved in a while so I just dropped the summon on him.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Game is amazing. This is a game. Not a lame. I love all the options and how you can make it as easy or as hard as you want. Can't wait to make my berserker.

If you really want to know, I've tried to explain in the spoilered text in a way that hopefully retains a bit of mystery.
You start getting hints less than halfway through the game that Airy's not being totally upfront with the team. You can still keep playing and get enough reveals and revelations to enjoy the game, I think.

Definitely reassuring. Thank you!

Anyway, how good is the dungeon music? WOW. I am really loving this game, so far.

LowParry

Man, this game has some difficulty circles all over the place. Which I like. Gotta level up those toons. Though I kinda miss having the ability to rest up at the end of a dungeon. But eh, the grind shall continue! (Having the option to turn up encounters is a godsend for leveling).

Dreavus

Man that option to summon friends is crazy powerful. I just summoned this one guy and he did like 2500 damage, destroying this boss I was fighting in no time. Normally I'd have just died and grinded but I hadn't saved in a while so I just dropped the summon on him.

I was just about to post about this. I was testing out the feature with some "guest" summons on the very first boss fight. Ended up 1-shotting one of the pair, and I decided to actually fight the other one normally, lol.

Is there any limit on summons?

I was just about to post about this. I was testing out the feature with some "guest" summons on the very first boss fight. Ended up 1-shotting one of the pair, and I decided to actually fight the other one normally, lol.

One time use until the person you summoned re-uploads them I believe.

If I have one complaint so far, it's what you can't enter most of the buildings in the towns so far. I don't know what it is about more recent JRPGs this past gen or so, but so many of them have just had towns be window dressing for the most part. I miss the days of being able to enter almost every building I saw, talking to NPCs, grabbing a few potions/gil/money, etc. I mean, I'm still loving the game so far, but kind of an annoyance, even if it's a small one.

That's actually one thing I like so far. I've always hated having to explore towns because it was just tedious filler for me

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

One time use until they send a new attack.

Hey everyone, just downloaded this last night, been looking forward to it. None of my friends have this game though, can you guys add me?

FC: 3351 4223 3557

demidar

Hard is actually hard now, that first subquest beat the fuck out of me, and the second fight is even worse. So much HP.

That's done through the save options with uploads right?

Summon friend ability from the battle menu. You can choose to send attacks from there. At first I was hesitant because I didn't want to lose my special attack so I tried it out on some fodder enemies and you still get the attack and you send it to your friends at the same time.

Vamphuntr

The items you buy from Norende are so OP early on. Is it me or is black magic weak in this game? I'm in the very beginning of Chapter 2 and when my thief brave x 4 and attack x 4 I deal over 3000 points of damage. When my black mage brave x 4 and use a black magic the enemy is weak against X 4 i do about 1500 damage total.

LowParry

Summon friend ability from the battle menu. You can choose to send attacks from there. At first I was hesitant because I didn't want to lose my special attack so I tried it out on some fodder enemies and you still get the attack and you send it to your friends at the same time.

Ohhhh. Very cool then. Suppose it a matter of keeping those up and active with folks.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The items you buy from Norende are so OP early on. Is it me or is black magic weak in this game? I'm in the very beginning of Chapter 2 and when my thief brave x 4 and attack x 4 I deal over 3000 points of damage. When my black mage brave x 4 and use a black magic the enemy is weak against X 4 i do about 1500 damage total.

Does everyone have Black Resonance?

I've always found magic will pale in comparison to regular attacks in most games though.

Vamphuntr

Does everyone have Black Resonance?

I've always found magic will pale in comparison to regular attacks in most games though.

No, I'm not really using black magic as a secondary command on other characters. Does it makes a much bigger difference? I don't think it's worth it to "waste" a secondary command when it doesn't seem much useful so far.

I think I'm going to try to level Time Mage soon instead.

demidar

No, I'm not really using black magic as a secondary command on other characters. Does it makes a much bigger difference? I don't think it's worth it to "waste" a secondary command when it doesn't seem much useful so far.

Black magic sure is great for getting around Protect spells. Also helps to equip a weapon that increases M. Atk. My White Mage deals more magic damage than my Black Mage (but my Black Mage sure is good at punching stuff).

That's actually one thing I like so far. I've always hated having to explore towns because it was just tedious filler for me

Ah, that was something I always looked forward to when I got to a new town - fully exploring it. :/ Exploring towns has always been pretty optional though and not something you had to do.

joe2187

Banned
Was surprised to find out that Agnes is voiced by Erin FItzgerald, I noticed her chie voice in one of the characters in the opening, didnt know she did Agnes as well.

She's been in every game I've played for the last two years!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Was surprised to find out that Agnes is voiced by Erin FItzgerald, I noticed her chie voice in one of the characters in the opening, didnt know she did Agnes as well.

She's been in every game I've played for the last two years!

Likewise I found the Knight Boss is the same VA as Ziggurat 8 from the Xenosaga series.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Passively building my town as I can't focus on playing right now, I'm running into some good stuff.
Going off to fight a fire mage soon? My fire resist and water sword will be ready.

well, other classes that you have at that point probably don't have nearly as much Intelligence as Black Mages, so yes that probably does make a difference

but Black Magic is weak in this game anyway

B.K.

Or maybe setting no exp gain while developing the basics of a new job is a good idea.

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I want to level up jobs to get more abilities, but I don't want to be overlevelled and make the game too easy.

terrisus

Mrgrgr.

zlCfzRema54qkq6GYw

massoluk

Banned
Just started this game, just wanting to say thank to Gaffers I already have friended on my 3DS, you guys make my game so much easier that it felt like cheating.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think I may have hallucinated a feature or something. I was under the impression that you could switch Auto on and off on the map. It's only turning it off right?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I want to level up jobs to get more abilities, but I don't want to be overlevelled and make the game too easy.
Yeah, my experience with these sort of systems is that I either fully enjoy experimentation and become overleveled, or I go through the story at normal pace and see like 1/4 of what I'd like to with the systems. So far the only game to avoid this trap was Disgaea, which is essentially endless so it kinda doesn't count. The difficulty, battle frequency, and development adjustments you can make with this game are genius.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I've added a lot of GAF peeps, but for some reason only 7 have managed to make it into my village. >>; Not sure what I'm doing wrong there. It's acknowledged at least 10 people.

komorebi

Looking for some GAF friends so I can get my town in fighting shape.

FC: 0146-9307-5651

Please PM me if you add me so I can do the same.

Mrgrgr

mrjohill

Hey does anyone know the name of the song that plays in the norende ravine when your running from the airship?

Also friend code is 0877-0929-0844

JLeack

Banned

While on one hand this design prevents me from "wasting" time running through buildings, it also damages the feeling of scale in the game.

terrisus

Agreed, this has bothered me from the start as well.

I don't care if there's nothing worthwhile inside of them, I like rummaging through people's houses.

Top Bottom