• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing you gain from the fights are 999 JP, new back story on the bosses, and some good stealable items.

Regarding the items, I guess it's stuff like Megalixirs, and not one-chance-only equipment, right?

You get jobs at a pretty decent rate, at least at the beginning. Just keep going and don't over think it too much.

Early game I found the freelancer lvl 3 and 4 skill pretty handy for dungeons. Late game they are important for decent amount of builds.

Thanks for the info. :) I'll just play around with various jobs for now. I'm sure there will be easy ways to grind out jobs later in the game.

I decided to try and go out and buy this from the store because I wanted to play NOW. Too bad for me, I guess. Walmart told me that was on the shipment of games that got stuck in oregon due to snow or something dumb like that. The gamestop across the street told me no one is going to have it and it's a low print number or something. I went on amazon and now I have to wait till wednesday.

Was the collector's edition a really low run? I only see it for like, $100 or something on amazon.

Leezard

Regarding the items, I guess it's stuff like Megalixirs, and not one-chance-only equipment, right?
still chapter 5, slight bit more.
It is typically equipment, but it's not missable. You just get the equipment earlier, and it makes it possible for you to get several pieces of rare equipment. Later chapter sidequests have better equipment as well.

2San

While there aren't any one-chance-only equipement, the sidequest bosses in chapter 7 offer pretty good gear with steal and drop. It's pretty handy to have doubles of the better equipment.
Thanks for the info. :) I'll just play around with various jobs for now. I'm sure there will be easy ways to grind out jobs later in the game.
Yeah, there are a lot good ways grind out jobs (xp and gp ) later on.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I absolutely LOVE playing this game in 3D.

It looks amazing. <3

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is someone going to update or repost that massive list of FCs from yesterday on the OP? I want to go through and add everyone at once, but holy shit its alot of people !

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Is someone going to update or repost that massive list of FCs from yesterday on the OP? I want to go through and add everyone at once, but holy shit its alot of people !

and by the Vestals it will get bigger
-----

2380-3758-9099
PM if you add me people

BETA.

Neo Member
How does adding people work? I can I just send a friend request and they accept it to become true friends or do they also require my friends code as well?

It's a pain in the ass added everyone who lists a friend code and having to PM them mine so they can add me back. Hopefully I wont have to keep doing this!

IrishNinja

gamestop needs to stop lyin' about havin CE's in stock
this last one says they can sell the one they have tomorrow if its not picked up...i swear, last few i called they put me on hold so long it sounded like an employee just decided to snag it

Aside from the random modern microtransactions, social stuff, and FTP/FB-style game mechanics thrown in that can screw up the balance, this is a really great game so far.

I'm still trying to figure out why it wasn't called Final Fantasy, though. There's a damn Cait Sith in the first two hours for God's sake.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Just got the monk and white mage jobs...
Aside from the random modern microtransactions, social stuff, and FTP/FB-style game mechanics thrown in that can screw up the balance, this is a really great game so far.

I'm still trying to figure out why it wasn't called Final Fantasy, though. There's a damn Cait Sith in the first two hours for God's sake.

Because Final fantasy means a downgrade in quality

=p

joe1138

Really enjoying my time with Bravely Default so far. I just added some people from the GAF list (starting with the "A's" and working my way down), feel free to add me as well:

0516-7436-3426

This might have been asked already, but what are Special Moves exactly? I just unlocked that shop in the town you rebuild, and I see a "Special" option listed in the main menu, but it is darkened and won't let me do anything with it yet.

^Probably because the Final Fantasy brand is at this point associated with FF13 as well as 14's shoddy launch^

Anyway, can someone explain how I upload my summon?

Gotta say I like the battle system where you lay out your full attack plan at the start of your turn. Forgot what exact JRPG it reminds me of (Guessing it was one of the Persona games, but I'm not sure), but I'm loving it. Except for the occasions where I make a single guy's Brave-spam the keystone of a turn and the enemy ends up plowing them down for their turn and messing me up :V

BTW, is there a way to see the turn-order of everyone in battle? Most of my faults while playing stem from me planning actions without knowing what order they'll go in or if the enemy has first attack.

Jintor

WHY the HELL WOULD THE DEVS MAKE THESE ORCS SO HARD????

what IS that about??? Im frustrated with this

rush them with brave first turn out

early game is all about knowing when to incur brave debt and deliver massive damage before the enemy has a chance to respond

terrisus

Because Final fantasy means a downgrade in quality

=p

Or, more specifically, Square would feel the need to fill the game with all sorts of junk that ruins it.

I've said it before, but, Bravely Default is better than any game in the Final Fantasy series since 6.
It would be wonderful if Square just completely abandoned the Final Fantasy series, and concentrated on this series instead.

I know, that will never happen =(

Seil

This might have been asked already, but what are Special Moves exactly? I just unlocked that shop in the town you rebuild, and I see a "Special" option listed in the main menu, but it is darkened and won't let me do anything with it yet.

You'll get a help introduction deal when the feature actually becomes available to you. But basically, special attacks have different conditions(dagger special requires you to use items 5 times first) to activate*. They have different attacks and lingering effects which last for the duration of the special attack music. Using multiple special attacks makes all of their effects stack for the duration of the music as well.

They can also be customized with a few "parts" from Norende upgrades like adding elements, bonus damage to certain enemy types, hp regen and so on.

Edit: *To clarify. Once you fulfill the condition, the Special option in battle becomes available until you either use it or change weapon types. So, once you've used 5 items as a dagger user, you'll be able to choose Special in future fights unless you use it up or change to a sword or something. You can save up your specials to unleash them at a boss or something.

Gaz_RB

WHY the HELL WOULD THE DEVS MAKE THESE ORCS SO HARD????

what IS that about??? Im frustrated with this

They messed me up at first too. But I think they're effective at making sure you learn the way the brave/default system works. They're chumps after a few battles! You just gotta kill them before they kill you, because they hit really hard.

Or, more specifically, Square would feel the need to fill the game with all sorts of junk that ruins it.

I've said it before, but, Bravely Default is better than any game in the Final Fantasy series since 6.
It would be wonderful if Square just completely abandoned the Final Fantasy series, and concentrated on this series instead.

I know, that will never happen =(

While I agree with the idea that this is more similar to the FF's before 6, I really like the FFs that came afterwards. I like the idea of having BD to fill that hole while still having those later entries into the series.

Maybesew

Each weapon type unlocks a special differently. Ie use brave 10 times. I think they are all listed in the encyclopedia or somewhere in game.

Here is a noob question but how are we supposed to open these locked treasure chests? Is it a thief ability that is unlocked at some point?

May16

You'll unlock them soon if you can't use them already. You get special moves in battle based on what weapon the character has equipped. Upon meeting certain conditions (heal 10 times, use items 10 times, or whatever they may be for a given weapon), you'll be allowed to use that weapon's special move. It does the move and also grants a certain other (usually stat) boost for the party.
The specials also stack, so keep them flowing for this game's equivalent of a juggle combo.

Magicalhatz

Neo Member
Going to start this game real soon but my friend code is 3926-4902-4188

I'll try adding people on the last few pages, let me know by PM or quote if you added me! Need more BD friends

The problem is that this will only sell to a fraction of the audience that FF could because the name is so terrible that you have to be seeking it out :/

You'll get a help introduction deal when the feature actually becomes available to you. But basically, special attacks have different conditions(dagger special requires you to use items 5 times first) to activate*. They have different attacks and lingering effects which last for the duration of the special attack music. Using multiple special attacks makes all of their effects stack for the duration of the music as well.

They can also be customized with a few "parts" from Norende upgrades like adding elements, bonus damage to certain enemy types, hp regen and so on.

Edit: *To clarify. Once you fulfill the condition, the Special option in battle becomes available until you either use it or change weapon types. So, once you've used 5 items as a dagger user, you'll be able to choose Special in future fights unless you use it up or change to a sword or something. You can save up your specials to unleash them at a boss or something.

Each weapon type unlocks a special differently. Ie use brave 10 times. I think they are all listed in the encyclopedia or somewhere in game.

Here is a noob question but how are we supposed to open these locked treasure chests? Is it a thief ability that is unlocked at some point?

You'll unlock them soon if you can't use them already. You get special moves in battle based on what weapon the character has equipped. Upon meeting certain conditions (heal 10 times, use items 10 times, or whatever they may be for a given weapon), you'll be allowed to use that weapon's special move. It does the move and also grants a certain other (usually stat) boost for the party.
The specials also stack, so keep them flowing for this game's equivalent of a juggle combo.

Oh, I gotcha. Thanks everyone. :)

Astarte

Midway through chapter 3, loving it. Only gripe is that the dungeon music is recycled to the point where I'm beginning to think that the sample CD we got is actually the real CD.

B.K.

I'm pretty sure I read an interview somewhere with the developers where they said that it was originally going to have a Final Fantasy title, but they decided to change it because the style of the game was so different than modern Final Fantasy games. They didn't think it would appeal to fans of modern Final Fantasy.

Can someone explain to me how Streetpass works? I'm trying to use my spare 3DS to Streetpass the game, but it's not working.

Protag

Banned
They messed me up at first too. But I think they're effective at making sure you learn the way the brave/default system works. They're chumps after a few battles! You just gotta kill them before they kill you, because they hit really hard.

While I agree with the idea that this is more similar to the FF's before 6, I really like the FFs that came afterwards. I like the idea of having BD to fill that hole while still having those later entries into the series.

Thanks man

Also, is there a way to get villagers without using streetpass? Dont plan on using streetpass often

Reached the point where I can beat the first street pass boss.
Edea's special move "specialbeamcanon" causes the boss's gluttony to overflow.
I send that attack for others to use. Comes out to about 5000 power.

KarmaCow

Thanks man

Also, is there a way to get villagers without using streetpass? Dont plan on using streetpass often

If you select the Update Data option under Save when you select the save option from the travelling merchant or in the quick menu, you'll get 3-5 villagers every day. I'm not quite sure when it resets though.

LowParry

Edea sounds exactly like Meg from Family Guy (Mila Kunis).

After every line she says, in my head I go "shut up, Meg."

More reason that the JA voice overs are supreme.

Speaking of. I remember the whole censoring nonsense people were getting all uptight about. Some clothing changes and I believe was the ages of the main characters? I mean cause if Ringabel was originally 14 year old or whatever, he sure has a deep voice. Yet he's such a boss.

More reason that the JA voice overs are supreme.

Na man, the exact opposite. The voices are all good except Agnes who is a bit annoying, which is kind of strange to me since she did Fon Master Ion in Tales of the Abyss and did a good enough job there. Guess the voice director didn't know what to do with her.

Top Bottom