• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just got the
spell fencer and time mage
jobs. I think I may be a bit overleveled. The last couple boss fights have been pretty easy.

I think it's funny how easily
the people of Anchiem accept the group murdering their king.

I ran around the place when I was trying to figure out why the XP I was gaining was fluctuating. By the time picklecannon answered me...I had gone up in levels by a...we'll say a fair amount.

minty_jpg

GameStop called me at work this morning like: "hey, are you picking up this game or what? People want it, you have 12 hours."

I went to pick it up and apparently demand is really high. Here's hoping this thirst for the game means we'll get the sequel too. Buy the game and tell your friends ya'll.

Animekatt

I love the way quests work in the game. It's kinda addicting, trying to do as it say, and then going straight into another one. Are there more than 50 of them?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GameStop called me at work this morning like: "hey, are you picking up this game or what? People want it, you have 12 hours."

I went to pick it up and apparently demand is really high. Here's hoping this thirst for the game means we'll get the sequel too. Buy the game and tell your friends ya'll.

Many GameStops were given their exact preorder amount and nothing more. So, calls were made to those not picking them up.

So the demo is nice, as is the battle system.

I really enjoyed the town exploration. The 3D was real nice... are there lots of towns like that? Or is that the only one?

Also, is the town-building minigame really fun? It looks that way...

My only real gripe is that the characters, at least during combat, look so out of place and too cutesy-anime. Nothing that will hold me back, but I wish they were more maturely drawn

Do the jobs actually guide stat growth or is it just a binary thing for each job.

For example, if I'm leveling up as a Monk, is that character getting permanent increases to Strength that would then carry over even if selecting a White Mage?

Damn I've been grinding a lot so far and I haven't even beaten the first boss :p ¯_(ツ)_/¯ oh well at least I'll get a head start of it. Also here's my FC: 1091-9119-5213 as well PM me if added. :)

I really enjoyed the town exploration. The 3D was real nice... are there lots of towns like that? Or is that the only one?

The towns are consistently amazing throughout the game, especially in 3D.

Also, is the town-building minigame really fun? It looks that way...

Nah, it is about as basic as it gets. Select something to build, wait a few hours, select something else and occasionally get a few items. There isn't much to it.

KarmaCow

Do the jobs actually guide stat growth or is it just a binary thing for each job.

For example, if I'm leveling up as a Monk, is that character getting permanent increases to Strength that would then carry over even if selecting a White Mage?

Character stat growth is independent from Job stat growth.

Seil

Level and Job, and thus stat growth, are separate. As you level up, your base stats increase. Jobs shift those base stats around to fit their archetype.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Being able to control the encounter rate is something that needs to be in every JRPG from now on.
ihQ4081d3KIJN.gif

Being able to control the encounter rate is something that needs to be in every JRPG from now on.

I still think there needs to be limitations.

My problem with Bravely Default is just about everything in the game encourages grinding. While you don't need to grind, you might as well because it is so easy to do.

Where the encounter rate comes into it, is you can set it to -100% at any time. This means the best thing to do is enter a dungeon, get rid of enemies, clear it out until you get all the chests and reach the final save point with no danger.
You can then turn it back on and...you guessed it, grind without danger until you are content.

What I would like to see is at least a limitation to stop you changing the encounter rate until you reach the end save. That way you are encouraged to do less grinding and things like traps, hidden passages and wrong turns are actually meaningful.

Zing

Banned
A lot already do with items and spells.
I was going to say… Dragon Warrior from 1996 allows you to affect encounter rate.

What I would like to see is at least a limitation to stop you changing the encounter rate until you reach the end save. That way you are encouraged to do less grinding and things like traps, hidden passages and wrong turns are actually meaningful.
The only people who adjust the encounter rate are those who want to adjust the encounter rate. I haven't touched it and I never plan to, but why should I desire a feature to be removed from those who want it? This is a single player game. Someone else cheating literally has zero effect on me or my game.

oakenhild

I still think there needs to be limitations.

I disagree. It's all optional. The way it's setup allows you to play how you want to play. If you don't like a certain play-style due to the encounter adjustments...well, don't adjust things in that manner.

I actually like adjusting it frequently. Keeps things moving along in a way that is fun for me. I'm guessing I'd get burned out on the game if I didn't make the adjustments. Doesn't mean I'm playing the game incorrectly.

The only people who adjust the encounter rate are those who want to adjust the encounter rate. I haven't touched it and I never plan to, but why should I desire a feature to be removed from those who want it? This is a single player game. Someone else cheating literally has zero effect on me or my game.

So on the flip side, I actually do use it and that is the change I want. This will still have zero effect on you or your game.

If you get hit by a trap, you can sit there being in trouble, or you can just turn off encounters and walk out. I'm just not a big fan of imposing limitations on yourself. If it is there, you will either want to use it or you have to actively choose not to use it.

Zetta

Where the encounter rate comes into it, is you can set it to -100% at any time. This means the best thing to do is enter a dungeon, get rid of enemies, clear it out until you get all the chests and reach the final save point with no danger.
You can then turn it back on and...you guessed it, grind without danger until you are content.

Wow, this never crossed my mind once I found out about the encounter rate option. It is true that it should be limited but I guess they didn't since different people play the game differently. I for one can't imagine going through a dungeon without those annoying fights every so often. Have to say though that even at normal this game is no where near the "randomness" Wild Arms 1 had. I just recently replayed it and holy crap.....that game just made it a nightmare to revisit a dungeon.

And yet it would impact the people that want to use it without limitations. Self-control can go a long way in this game.

True but there is always a line. Why not unlock every job and weapon at the start of the game and let people choose if they want to use them?

My point is with the option, not using it is playing in a sub-optimal way. Clearing and then grinding later is the best way to approach things...and that isn't as fun to me as playing properly. I guess that is a strange way to look at it but that is just the problem I had.

Etaber

Wow this game got its hooks into me immediately. Just finished the first section in one sitting.

I added a few people's friend codes from this thread(and sent PMs). My code is 3566 1553 4948. If you add me let me know and I'll reciprocate.

Seil

True but there is always a line. Why not unlock every job and weapon at the start of the game and let people choose if they want to use them?

Thing is, there are others like myself who actually battle to our hearts content as we clear the dungeon then when we get sick of wading through trash mobs in one turn, turn off encounters and finish up the dungeon. Your proposed change screws us over too. There's really no need to fight numerous pointless encounters that only serve to take up time. And we're giving up the experience etc that would be gained in exchange.

It gets rid of tedium. It doesn't really reduce challenge or whatever.

KarmaCow

I can understand the sentiment though, the system is pretty divorced from the rest of the mechanics in the game, like a debug menu. At least with something like Holy Water it doesn't turn off battles completely, just the ones that aren't worth your time.

I had a similar issue with Floor Jump in Etrian Odyssey Untold, which let you warp to the entrances and exits of floors with no consequence once you explore the floor enough. It almost nullified the threat of FoEs or running low on resources when you have a risk free escape plan.

Zing

Banned
BTW, is there a way to see the turn-order of everyone in battle? Most of my faults while playing stem from me planning actions without knowing what order they'll go in or if the enemy has first attack.
I didn't see an answer for this yet. Anyone?

On an unrelated note, I turned my brightness down to 3, and the ghosting (3D crosstalk) was significantly lessened. It looks a lot better now.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game is so good. About to go to the Villa.

Whoever named their special Maximum PewPew, your attack killed a Nemeses for me :D

haha I have that friend too, I lolz when I read the name of that move too.

hey what difficulty is everyone playing on? I'm on normal, at the villa, and its all easy sailing so far. Wondering if I should up it. The black mage was pretty easy...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm supposed to catch some pokemon to trade with my brother, but I keep playing this game.

Can someone better explain the Bravely Second mechanic for me, or is it as I guessed an ability to double your party's turn/interrupt the enemy's?

rybrad

My point is with the option, not using it is playing in a sub-optimal way. Clearing and then grinding later is the best way to approach things...and that isn't as fun to me as playing properly. I guess that is a strange way to look at it but that is just the problem I had.
Don't worry, in the sequel they will make moving the bar a notch in either direction cost 1 SP.

Crash331

I'm still on the fence about getting this, got a question about battles.

In the demo, it seemed very tedious pressing brave 4 times and then attack 4 times. 4x4 across 4 characters is tedious. Do you do this a lot? Is there an easier way to beat trash mobs?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
any good deals out there on this?

I want to play it, but it's been a long damn time since I paid 40 bucks for a video game.

rybrad

I'm still on the fence about getting this, got a question about battles.

In the demo, it seemed very tedious pressing brave 4 times and then attack 4 times. 4x4 across 4 characters is tedious. Do you do this a lot? Is there an easier way to beat trash mobs?
You can use auto-battle which repeats your last actions, helps a lot for easy groups. As for pressing Brave 4 times, you can just use the R or L button (depending on your control setup) to quickly setup the number of BP you want to use and then just pick your actions normally. Using the shoulder buttons makes it much faster and you barely notice it after awhile.

rybrad

Not sure if serious ;)

But wouldn't shock me.
Half serious, half joking. I wouldn't be surprised to see them shoehorn in more uses for SP, especially if it is something people use a lot like the encounter rate. They can claim that doesn't drastically change the core gameplay experience and lock it away. Pretty gross to think about but already having micro-transactions in a full priced retail titles shows the direction they are heading.

Soul Beat

Sadly I haven't been able to play the game much today. :/

I have a quick question regarding the Chapter 1 side quest though.

I've already beat the merchant, and read the note saying to check out the mill at night. Well...Here I am at night not knowing where to go. There is this one dude saying that the door behind him is off limits. Is that it?

Half serious, half joking. I wouldn't be surprised to see them shoehorn in more uses for SP, especially if it is something people use a lot like the encounter rate. They can claim that doesn't drastically change the core gameplay experience and lock it away. Pretty gross to think about but already having micro-transactions in a full priced retail titles shows the direction they are heading.

I'm actually very interested to see where the series goes. There are some amazing parts and some parts I don't like. There are also a lot of parts, like the grinding that they obviously recognise as problems (because of the speed up, auto battle etc).

Then you throw in micro-transactions as well. There are lots of different paths they could go down... so it is going to be a difficult job to balance it all right.

I have a quick question regarding the Chapter 1 side quest though.

I think you need to progress the main game a bit more before you can do that part. You'll see the blue marker pop back up when it is ready.

demidar

Friend code list updated.

So I was watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and was pretty miffed at Brad thinking you had to Examine whenever you wanted to check enemy health. If you tilt left/right with the slide pad during battle you will see enemy/ally status, weaknesse, health, stats and buffs/debuffs. Only thing I don't like is that after examining a type of monster once, it still doesn't show the remaining health of other monsters of the same type (requires Examine to track health for each individual monster).

Friend code list updated.

So I was watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and was pretty miffed at Brad thinking you had to Examine whenever you wanted to check enemy health. If you tilt left/right with the slide pad during battle you will see enemy/ally status, weaknesse, health, stats and buffs/debuffs. Only thing I don't like is that after examining a type of monster once, it still doesn't show the remaining health of other monsters of the same type (requires Examine to track health for each individual monster).

And your have re-examine the same enemies in new fights to see their health again. Super annoying,

I've done this in every dungeon so far.

Soriku

It wouldn't work for several games like SMT and EO, a huge part of the game is dealing with random battles, in the case of BD it works fine but that doesn't mean it should be in every game.

SMT SJ gave you a few good options for dealing with encounters early on. In Raidou 2 the repel item actually lowered the encounter rate to near zero (usually like 1 fight max you might get in until a new moon cycle). It would work fine, but there has to be some sort of restraint from the player in case they get underleveled.

Anyway I ordered it but I don't think I'll be playing it for a little while.

Top Bottom