• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Darkrider

Enjoying this game immensely as well. Thanks for such a great thread. As with everyone else, I'll toss my friend code up here. If you add me - drop me a PM.

Thanks!

1246 9071 4652

Feep

Banned
Really enjoying this so far. The number of social/IAP elements are throwing me off and they're a nuisance, as far as I'm concerned...I want to just ignore them, but the game keeps yelling at me to use them.

I do like the town rebuilding, though. How exactly does it work? I seem to be building weapon shops and special attack shops, but how do I actually claim the items within? I want more than one special attack, dammit!

Edit: Oh, and question on "Invigorate" and status modifiers in general. I assume the "P. Atk. 125%" is merely a 25% boost, not a 125% boost, right? When it says two "turns", does that mean two cycles of actions, or literally two actions (like if you brave and attack twice, is that "two turns"?) And honestly, with it not only failing some of the time but DAMAGING THE PLAYER upon failure, it's really just an awful ability.

bodine1231

So what are the best job combos in the early game? I've been turning of exp and just grinding jp for each class but that doesnt seem like the best use of my time. I doubt each character will use abilities from ALL the classes.

Kenai

I just got the CE from GS. Was worried after quite a few reports of damage, but mine was fine. Will take a little while before I can join in the fun but it will happen and I am excite.

demidar

Really enjoying this so far. The number of social/IAP elements are throwing me off and they're a nuisance, as far as I'm concerned...I want to just ignore them, but the game keeps yelling at me to use them.

I do like the town rebuilding, though. How exactly does it work? I seem to be building weapon shops and special attack shops, but how do I actually claim the items within? I want more than one special attack, dammit!

Edit: Oh, and question on "Invigorate" and status modifiers in general. I assume the "P. Atk. 125%" is merely a 25% boost, not a 125% boost, right? When it says two "turns", does that mean two cycles of actions, or literally two actions (like if you brave and attack twice, is that "two turns"?) And honestly, with it not only failing some of the time but DAMAGING THE PLAYER upon failure, it's really just an awful ability.

Yeah, when the game mentions percentages they mean additively, so two abilities that "increase P. Atk by 25%" will stack up to 150%.

Another tip, you can press X in battle while your cursor is on an ability to get a proper explanation of what it does.

I'm only in chapter 1 and got lucky with a 2300 dmg ability capture to send to friends. If you want an early summon for a boss or something.

FC: 4313-0588-8609

Send me a pm with yours and I'll add you kind. Ablink makes things so convenient it feels like cheating!

redcrayon

Sadly I haven't been able to play the game much today. :/

I have a quick question regarding the Chapter 1 side quest though.

I've already beat the merchant, and read the note saying to check out the mill at night. Well...Here I am at night not knowing where to go. There is this one dude saying that the door behind him is off limits. Is that it?

Answer:

You need to finish the temple and progress the main story first. Come back to the city, after that, at night, and the blue sidequest marker will be at that door allowing you to progress.

Some are given to you periodically, but others you just need to talk to the umm... "red save dude" and you can buy them.

I'm only in chapter 1 and got lucky with a 2300 dmg ability capture to send to friends. If you want an early summon for a boss or something.

FC: 4313-0588-8609

Send me a pm with yours and I'll add you kind. Ablink makes things so convenient it feels like cheating!

Added you. I'm: 4210-4033-3949

Astarte

I think I just figured out the plot twist while I'm still in chapter 3. I really hope that isn't the case, I really hope I'm just dumb.

Corpekata

Banned
So what are the best job combos in the early game? I've been turning of exp and just grinding jp for each class but that doesnt seem like the best use of my time. I doubt each character will use abilities from ALL the classes.

Knight at level 2 unlocks the two handed passive which will amp up a lot of classes damage output so is worth getting for most. Thief at level 4 gets a life drain attack that does good damage and healing so is good for a party where you don't want to put too much pressure on a single healer. Monk's not bad but given its' first few abilities have failure chances you probably don't need to prioritize early (though its' a really strong early main class).

Knight at level 2 unlocks the two handed passive which will amp up a lot of classes damage output so is worth getting for most. Thief at level 4 gets a life drain attack that does good damage and healing so is good for a party where you don't want to put too much pressure on a single healer. Monk's not bad but given its' first few abilities have failure chances you probably don't need to prioritize early (though its' a really strong early main class).

I find the Knight Stomp ability really good for early grinding. It weakens your defense after, but given whatever you are fighting is already dead, it doesn't really matter.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay so I have several special moves but how on earth do I change what I send to others when they summon me? It's still set to a normal attack with a dagger. I see level 2 people who have sent me good stuff, so it doesn't make sense.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
23 hours and my facebook village is complete. Sleep mode is your friend in the rebuilding process

Okay so I have several special moves but how on earth do I change what I send to others when they summon me? It's still set to a normal attack with a dagger. I see level 2 people who have sent me good stuff, so it doesn't make sense.

Use the ability "Send" and then whatever you choose to do after that is what will be sent to others.

Wow my free shipping CE version got here today. I posted a lot in this thread because I was worried about my box. It's perfect. Thank the crystals!! (Well the inside has a little damage but I think SE did that when they put my shit in the box)

Impressions:

Dat warm feel.

Holy shit after the intro when you awake In the first inn. I just looked at my screen in awe. The art style is exactly my kind of thing. The glow from the candles and the way the walls stick out while using 3d. Wow. This game.. The set peices feel like little dioramas with the 3d turned on.

I wish games like this were the norm and not a once a decade type thing.

I'm only about 1:30 in!! Going to bed for the night and got my 25 villages working away!

Thank you Squarenix!

macklelol

The whole sequence to getting the (chapter 3)
Performer
job is such a pain. And the boss for it was pretty tough, as well.

Eusis

Being able to control the encounter rate is something that needs to be in every JRPG from now on.
Well, at a minimum I really do feel like every random encounter and even many visible encounter based RPGs really need to have some sort of system in place rather than it always being static. Give me items to stock up on, give me abilities, even give me the option in the menu... just acknowledge how utterly god damn frustrating it is to deal with them when everything you'd run into is completely out of your league and you just want to explore or complete sidequests. Conversely, acknowledge that when we want to grind to remove more of the tedium trying to find an encounter.

EDIT: I'm also of the mindset that just about any design call has its place if used properly... and I suppose the same can be said for encounter rates you can't adjust, but most likely that'd have to be a linear forward march of a game that won't have you visiting old areas whether by making it pointless or by outright barring it.

Dice

Rebuilding the town unlocks the items but it doesn't get you the truckloads of C-C-C-C-CASH MONEY to buy them. Merchant job will be thoroughly abused when I get it.

It is hidden in the Summon option on the battle menu, as it's basically your outgoing Summon.
Ah. Well I set it to something good and it is time for bed now.

and I suppose the same can be said for encounter rates you can't adjust, but most likely that'd have to be a linear forward march of a game that won't have you visiting old areas whether by making it pointless or by outright barring it.
Lunar:SSSC remains in my mind as a very finely tuned RPG in this regard.

Sendou

Started on normal. How hard the game will get? Should I bump up the difficulty to hard? I don't like hard RPG's but not overly easy either.

Haven't gotten very far, but loving it already!

Here's my friend code -- send me your village's undesirables and I will put them to work breaking rocks :D

2852 - 7377 - 6516

Dice

So I think Ringabel
is in love with
Edea
because dat ass.

Coins

Banned
Should be getting this in the mail Monday or Tuesday. I read the demo carries over into the game. Is it recommended to play the demo thoroughly then?

Ken

I must be doing something wrong. Only act 1 subquest but boss battles feel really hard. Guy is using potions for 500 hp while Tiz is hitting for 20~80 damage each hit?

cm osi

I must be doing something wrong. Only act 1 subquest but boss battles feel really hard. Guy is using potions for 500 hp while Tiz is hitting for 20~80 damage each hit?

are you using the right equip for every character?

I dont get the SP thing...I have 3,which is max...what do I do with them....?

press start/select and you get a free turn for a character (only in this mode you can deal more than 9999 damage)

royox

Dude equip some weapons or stop using melee attacks with a mage.

P90

Thanks. I'm still debating whether to play this before Fire Emblem, but I think I'll go with FE first then this. But I'm really tempted.

I'm not that far into BD, but have played the demo, so I must put that caveat out there. BD is a very good game (and a must buy), but I think FE:A is a better game.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
11ish. I'm just wondering if boss battles are supposed to be this attrition-like because my damage doesn't seem like it can keep up with his potions.

You might try
unequipping the knuckles- Knuckle Lore means you can sometimes actually outlevel a knuckle weapon; equipping Stomp from Knight also helps, as does Invigorate. Main dude also seemed to have lower Magic Defence. Make sure you have the best equips, too, obviously.

Top Bottom