• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Leeness

So I have no idea about how this'll pan out in the end but (Chapter 1 ending spoiler):
How blatant is it that Alternis Dim is Ringabel?! I mean same voice and everything. Plus how Ringabel just casually disappeared right before he popped up haha. Seashells my ass! I'm on to you... I hope we don't lose him, when he inevitably betrays the others. He's too awesome to go. I can smell a character switch near endgame ala FFV.

Haha definitely. It's a definite "well duuuuuuuh"
but I don't think it's going to play out in that way. They're the same person, but I don't think the "same". He didn't leave and put on the armour and stuff (what with Dim being with the Six and such while Ringabel was with the others).

But they're definitely the same person lol

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah, that's what I was certain of, but then Edea said they grew up together. How would she not recognize Ringabel.

Well maybe (Chapter 1 spoiler)
He...always had his helmet on hahaha! Nah, but I was thinking maybe he's disguised or morphed out via a spell or something. I just got something else. His diary is D's Diary. Dim's Diary!

Haha definitely. It's a definite "well duuuuuuuh"
but I don't think it's going to play out in that way. They're the same person, but I don't think the "same". He didn't leave and put on the armour and stuff (what with Dim being with the Six and such while Ringabel was with the others).

But they're definitely the same person lol

I had a vision of Star Ocean 2. (chapter 1 spoiler speculation): Maybe
he teleported or something like the 10 Wise Men do in SO2

I've added some people from the last pages, but I have no idea how this friend code thing works, so I've been PMing people I've added just in case. Is that wrong?

Anyway, add me. PM me with yours if that's necessary (it says it requires both people to add each other).
Mine is 0748-2105-2817, from the US.

Man... a regular friend system would be so much easier. :/

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I was dedicatedly working on getting a single job for everyone up to max before switching and someone told me it was a bad idea and to swap a lot haha.

:'(

Embrace the love of all the new classes that open up to you, without fear!

oakenhild

So, it seems like the streetpass isn't working for Bravely Default, or I'm not doing something right. I've setup homepass to successfully streetpass quite a few people now, and not one of them has gotten pulled into my village when I try to import them in the game. What's odd is that at least 3-4 of them had 'Currently playing Bravely Default' when I added them to Mii Plaza.

Any ideas on why this is failing?

I've used the Bravely Default MAC address as well, without any luck.

May16

Haha I was wanting to level everrrrrything to max and then switch them to the next and max level.

Play forever. :D

Well, how many JP can you get from 1 battle, at most, at your place in the game?

Find that number, and then keep in mind that to go from level 8 to level 9, I believe you need
JP. And then I think
for level 10? And it keeps going up like that. Meanwhile, you will be fighting bosses and instead of being a higher level of whatever, you will be the same level, except MINUS the great secondary abilities that can and will save your life. You'd make your party much weaker for no particular reason. I could be wrong, but that sounds frustrating as hell ^^;;

Leeness

Well, how many JP can you get from 1 battle, at most, at your place in the game?

Find that number, and then keep in mind that to become level 9, I believe you need 3,500 JP. And then I think 4,000 for level 10? And it keeps going up like that. Meanwhile, you will be fighting bosses and instead of being a higher level of whatever, you will be the same level, except MINUS the great secondary abilities that can and will save your life. You'd make your party much weaker for no particular reason. I could be wrong, but that sounds frustrating as hell ^^;;

Yeah, realizing that now :(

It just makes me sad because when I love a game I want to finish everything, so I learn everything.

I'd do it with FFIX too. Get everyone to learn every single ability possible, even if it meant weakening their stats for a while to do it.

My hands hurt from playing this lovely game so much. I need to get a grip like I have for my Vita. I never have this problem with my Vita.

May16

Yeah, realizing that now :(

It just makes me sad because when I love a game I want to finish everything, so I learn everything.

I'd do it with FFIX too. Get everyone to learn every single ability possible, even if it meant weakening their stats for a while to do it.

You'll be able to by the end of the game. Just not by going in straight lines, one job after the other. More letting setting a bunch of cups out in the rain style, filling them up simultaneously.

ASIS

I have a few questions about this game:

1. How's the combat mechanics?

2. How's the story?

3. How long is it?

JLeack

Banned

2. How's the story?

3. How long is it?

1. They're very good. It's strategic while still retaining a classic RPG quality.

2. Pretty awful. The characters are annoying and they blabber a lot.

3. 40+ hours

Mgrgrgr when an enemy Defaults when you go all out Brave.

I finally figured out all this friend linking whosawhatsit and put together a non-lame attack. The ablink is immensely helpful, too.

Heres a FC and you can send me a PM if you add it so I can repay in kind.

4313-0588-8609

joe2187

Banned
My village is overrun with these dragon and octopus monsters! I cant even put a dent in them, is there a trick to killing these things?

ASIS

1. They're very good. It's strategic while still retaining a classic RPG quality.

2. Pretty awful. The characters are annoying and they blabber a lot.

3. 40+ hours

Thanks. I'm still debating whether to play this before Fire Emblem, but I think I'll go with FE first then this. But I'm really tempted.

oakenhild

2. How's the story?

3. How long is it?

1. Combat is great. There is a lot of strategy by mixing up various jobs and abilities.

2. This seems mixed. It's sort of cartoonish in the voice acting, and the story isn't necessarily original, but I've been entertained, and haven't been skipping anything story related. In fact, it's better than I expected early on based on comments around here.

3. Seems fairly long from what I've read, probably 40-60 hours depending...

May16

2. How's the story?

3. How long is it?

1. Great. Takes the old things we loved about classic JRPGs and evolves them properly. Mixing it with the FF job system makes it like sexcakes.

2. Charming. The characters and script are excellent. It's full of genre self-parody which should be funny to longtime RPG players.
You'll hear early complaints of a lack of originality or too much cheese, but this is intentional. It's a love letter to days gone by, with intentionally overacted voice work and a plot basically lifted from the first Final Fantasy (well, in the early hours at least).

3. Like 50-60 hours to clear the main story (sort of), probably 70+ if you want
the true ending
, then like 100 if you want to master a shitload of the jobs.

Leeness

You'll be able to by the end of the game. Just not by going in straight lines, one job after the other. More letting setting a bunch of cups out in the rain style, filling them up simultaneously.

Okay...

athenahairomgshesadorable_zps8ac1ecb1.gif

I'm actually enjoying the characters and story. They seem to have very good back and forth dialogue. And I love the whole "party dialogue" stuff that happens in between real cutscenes (I guess they are similar to skits from the Tales games).
Ringabel is awesome.

Fandangox

the LE is bigger than I thought. Game has lovely music, didn't get to play much. I really liked how the Inn you start at looks. I love the handrawn-style(?) (pre-rendered?) backgrounds in the game. Only got to play about 20 minutes today, but I liked it.

Feeroper

I just picked this game up yesterday but haven't popped it in yet. I started the demo when it came out, but didn't complete. Think I was about to go face the 1st boss in that demo.

My question is: Now that I have the game, should I bother completing the demo for the rest of the unlocks? Or does it really matter overall? I just didn't have time to play it much over the last month, but now that its actually out, I'm really looking forward to digging into the real deal.

KarmaCow

I just picked this game up yesterday but haven't popped it in yet. I started the demo when it came out, but didn't complete. Think I was about to go face the 1st boss in that demo.

My question is: Now that I have the game, should I bother completing the demo for the rest of the unlocks? Or does it really matter overall? I just didn't have time to play it much over the last month, but now that its actually out, I'm really looking forward to digging into the real deal.

Not really, the demo bonuses are basic starter level gear that gets outclassed really early. Also not only does the demo progress not carry over in terms of levels or skipping tutorials, it's also somewhat different than the main game. The demo is pretty simple, go here collect that type progression and the skills progression for the job is also different compared to the actual game. If you already have the game you're better off just playing it.

Hm, I think I might be missing something. In the chapter 1 sidequest, after beating the
merchant
boss, I seem to be stuck. It hints to go somewhere at night, but I can't seem to find the specific location. Any help?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hm, I think I might be missing something. In the chapter 1 sidequest, after beating the
merchant
boss, I seem to be stuck. It hints to go somewhere at night, but I can't seem to find the specific location. Any help?
Gotta move forward with the story a little more; it is in town at night though.

JLeack

Banned
Thanks. I'm still debating whether to play this before Fire Emblem, but I think I'll go with FE first then this. But I'm really tempted.

FE:A is widely accepted as the better game. However, I'm enjoying this a lot more.

Final Fantasy Tactics is the only Strategy RPG I like, though. That said, it's my favorite game of all-time.

Now I'm rambling.

rybrad

Put in a bunch more time today and I am really loving this game. I like how even the Chapter 1 bosses have really awesome upgrades you can steal, makes it worthwhile to keep a Thief around. I have been playing on hard and the difficulty has definitely leveled off quite a bit now. I just finished Chapter 1 at level 22 and it felt pretty good from a difficulty perspective.

B.K.

I just got the
spell fencer and time mage
jobs. I think I may be a bit overleveled. The last couple boss fights have been pretty easy.

I think it's funny how easily
the people of Anchiem accept the group murdering their king.

Top Bottom