• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

I thought the demo was boring, but the full game is awesome! I couldn't put it down the first hour. Loving it. Gonna play some more later...great game

Neifirst

Right but midnight where? I'm pretty sure it's not EST, PST, or GMT. Maybe JST, but I think it didn't reset when I tried at 10am EST.

Presumably the internal clock of your 3DS, but I'm not sure if it can be manipulated like in Animal Crossing so you can populate Norende more quickly.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It's amazing how much equips matter, one try at a boss, I'm floored, then I go back to the store and the exact opposite happens.

I thought the demo was boring, but the full game is awesome! I couldn't put it down the first hour. Loving it. Gonna play some more later...great game

Same here. Didn't care for the demo at all, and I played the full game all day yesterday. Just an awesome game. I already know of some people who were completely turned off by the demo which is a real shame.

Jirotrom

Spoke to amazon, they gave me a 10 dollar gift card and 24 dollar refund as they stated the stock is limited and will not be re-stocking. Dont know if others on here had their package damaged as well so you may want to call.

Saganator

Couldn't find a physical copy after trying 3 stores (2 Targets and a Gamestop), so I went ahead and got it from eShop. Downloading now. 1564-3240-6159 is my friend code, please add me while I download. I've added a few people so far.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, I'm in Chapter one and I'm getting owned by the
merchant bastard and his bodyguard.
. He does an attack that always hits for 300 damage exactly, attacks twice and puts me in a bind.

Anyone figure out any good strategies?

Lokbob

Man, this recycling late in the game is ridiculous. I think im just going to watch the true end on youtube.
I killed the freaking bosses like 4 times now.

Same here. Didn't care for the demo at all, and I played the full game all day yesterday. Just an awesome game. I already know of some people who were completely turned off by the demo which is a real shame.

Yep! Hopefully they end up playing the game eventually :p

I didn't even plan to buy the game until I saw that the CE's were sold out everywhere...glad I bought it now! :D

Kieli

I'm hungering for a good new RPG; it's a shame this one seems to play it safe with respect to the setting/atmosphere. I don't begrudge others for enjoying the game as it clearly hearkens to the FFI --> FFVI era of Squeenix, but it's not for me.

I prefer either Dark Fantasy (i.e. Dark Souls), or quirky settings/set-ups (Planescape, P4) in my RPGs.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
. He does an attack that always hits for 300 damage exactly, attacks twice and puts me in a bind.

Summon and destroy the merchant? Yeah, I know, it's cheap.

Clear out the body guard first. Best way to deal with the damage I found was to use the Black Mage's Damage Dispersion passive (lvl5). That or the White Mage's Angelic Ward if you have that too. I was lucky enough to use the abilink system and found 3 ppl with damage dispersion. Made it so that that attack couldn't do more than 150 dmg on a specific target :) Then I just spammed specials and attacks until he died. Lost a guy along the way but was able to pick them up before the boss died

Cheddahz

Banned
My friends are just praising this game and I want to get it (since I recently got a 3DS and I need some more games), but I don't have enough money for the game right now, but I could get it if I returned Xenoblade to GameStop.....but I'm glad to see that the game is amazing!

Gaz_RB

Yeah, I'm definitely overpowered right now...

What difficulty?
My friends are just praising this game and I want to get it (since I recently got a 3DS and I need some more games), but I don't have enough money for the game right now, but I could get it if I returned Xenoblade to GameStop.....but I'm glad to see that the game is amazing!

Don't return Xenoblade to Gamestop. Patience!

no no no no no no don't do THAT

Swarna

Focus down the merchant. His bodyguard will flee after a certain point so it's more beneficial that you get all your damage down on the guy who stays. Equip your White Mage with the anti-silence ring. Cycle between Defaulting to +3 and Brave quad-attacking for your damage dealers (this way you are dealing full per-turn damage but blocking for 75% of your turns), but make sure your White Mage is keeping all your members at 100% (Defaulting the rest of the time). Using Stomp (Level 1 Knight command) is particularly useful here on your Monk/Knight. The 300 damage attack is the only thing that should give you trouble as you can get 2 shot even at full HP if one person gets targeted twice but all you really need to do is revive that character ASAP. All of your other characters should be topped off so there shouldn't be any chain-disasters occurring. Don't need to grind for this fight or use any friend features on Hard. +HP accessories will also help you greatly here. If you use Freelancer's Examine you can splurge your BP into the negatives near the end of the Merchant's HP pool.

Gaz_RB

Should I stay as freelancers or change jobs to the white mage or monk

I just got the 3rd character

I changed Tiz to a monk and Agnes to a white mage. If you're playing on hard, the next area is a little tough, and you'll need the power from the monk and the healing/status effect curing from the white mage. You might leave one of them freelancer.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Back up son.

I said back up

Enjoyed the game so far, but the voice acting kind of annoyed me. Set voice volume to zero and now it truly does feel like an old school final Fantasy.

I guess I'm one of those weirdos that enjoy making up my own voices for characters instead of listening to voice acting.

curious if any one else decided to set the va volume to zero, or even switch to jp voice acting.

Gaz_RB

Enjoyed the game so far, but the voice acting kind of annoyed me. Set voice volume to zero and now it truly does feel like an old school final Fantasy.

I guess I'm one of those weirdos that enjoy making up my own voices for characters instead of listening to voice acting.

curious if any one else decided to set the va volume to zero, or even switch to jp voice acting.

Hated the VA at first, but they kind of grow on you! I've heard the JP VA was better though.

I'm still trying to figure out why it wasn't called Final Fantasy, though. There's a damn Cait Sith in the first two hours for God's sake.

Yeah, I feel like it would be a lot easier to market and would have sold even more if it had been called Final Fantasy: Bravely Default or something like that. I dunno. I mean, the name itself doesn't matter to me personally, but it's totally a Final Fantasy game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah, I feel like it would be a lot easier to market and would have sold even more if it had been called Final Fantasy: Bravely Default or something like that. I dunno. I mean, the name itself doesn't matter to me personally, but it's totally a Final Fantasy game.

It really is. It feels like an alternate dimension basically had a FF sequel on PSX after IX. And it's Bravely Default. It's literally up there with IX IMO. I do mean in terms of artstyle and gameplay. Graphically, this obliterates anything on PSX lol. But it carries this same soul that FF VII-IX had back in the day. A different backbone from most modern RPGs for sure, new FFs included.

FFV and FFIX had some hot sweaty sex, and BD popped down the chute 9 months later. And we're all here to enjoy it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Clear out the body guard first. Best way to deal with the damage I found was to use the Black Mage's Damage Dispersion passive (lvl5). That or the White Mage's Angelic Ward if you have that too. I was lucky enough to use the abilink system and found 3 ppl with damage dispersion. Made it so that that attack couldn't do more than 150 dmg on a specific target :) Then I just spammed specials and attacks until he died. Lost a guy along the way but was able to pick them up before the boss died

Focus down the merchant. His bodyguard will flee after a certain point so it's more beneficial that you get all your damage down on the guy who stays. Equip your White Mage with the anti-silence ring. Cycle between Defaulting to +3 and Brave quad-attacking for your damage dealers (this way you are dealing full per-turn damage but blocking for 75% of your turns), but make sure your White Mage is keeping all your members at 100% (Defaulting the rest of the time). Using Stomp (Level 1 Knight command) is particularly useful here on your Monk/Knight. The 300 damage attack is the only thing that should give you trouble as you can get 2 shot even at full HP if one person gets targeted twice but all you really need to do is revive that character ASAP. All of your other characters should be topped off so there shouldn't be any chain-disasters occurring. Don't need to grind for this fight or use any friend features on Hard. +HP accessories will also help you greatly here. If you use Freelancer's Examine you can splurge your BP into the negatives near the end of the Merchant's HP pool.

Thanks for the responses, I'll try these out. :3

It really is. It feels like an alternate dimension basically had a FF sequel on PSX after IX. And it's Bravely Default. It's literally up there with IX IMO. I do mean in terms of artstyle and gameplay. Graphically, this obliterates anything on PSX lol. But it carries this same soul that FF VII-IX had back in the day. A different backbone from most modern RPGs for sure, new FFs included.

FFV and FFIX had some hot sweaty sex, and BD popped down the chute 9 months later. And we're all here to enjoy it.

Well, uh, that's definitely one way to put it. xD lol

But yeah, I definitely agree with the FFIX and FFV comments. I was getting really big FFIX vibes upon starting the game (which is a big plus for me).

Question: .how come i cant use specials with any of my characters except for the White Mage?

You gotta first unlock specials from the shop in your village. Once its unlocked, each specific weapon has specific triggers (dagger = use 5 items, sword = use brave 10 times, etc.). Once you meet the triggers you'll be able to use the special whenever you'd like

O one quick tip about the village, go and buy the 1500gil "Sage Staff". I think its unlocked at lvl 3 from the Weapon shop in the village. When the Sage Staff is used as an item, it lets you revive someone for free, could save you a bit on phoenix downs early on (its also a real good White mage weapon)

May16

Question: .how come i cant use specials with any of my characters except for the White Mage?

Go into your Special section of your field menu.

Then, you can see the conditions for getting a special. Your White Mage probably has a staff, and the staff requires you to heal 10 times before using a special. If you have a sword, you need to Brave 10 times before you can use a special. If you have a rod, you need to use offensive magic 10 times, etc.

Unless I misunderstood the problem.

JLeack

Banned
You gotta first unlock specials from the shop in your village. Once its unlocked, each specific weapon has specific triggers (dagger = use 5 items, sword = use brave 10 times, etc.). Once you meet the triggers you'll be able to use the special whenever you'd like

O one quick tip about the village, go and buy the 1500gil "Sage Staff". I think its unlocked at lvl 3 from the Weapon shop in the village. When the Sage Staff is used as an item, it lets you revive someone for free, could save you a bit on phoenix downs early on (its also a real good White mage weapon)

I just realized one of my chars was fists and the other was katana. That would explain why I wasn't unlocking the special in my last boss fight.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So I have no idea about how this'll pan out in the end but (Chapter 1 ending spoiler):
How blatant is it that Alternis Dim is Ringabel?! I mean same voice and everything. Plus how Ringabel just casually disappeared right before he popped up haha. Seashells my ass! I'm on to you... I hope we don't lose him, when he inevitably betrays the others. He's too awesome to go. I can smell a character switch near endgame ala FFV.

Busaiku

So I have no idea about how this'll pan out in the end but (Chapter 1 ending spoiler):
How blatant is it that Alternis Dim is Ringabel?! I mean same voice and everything. Plus how Ringabel just casually disappeared right before he popped up haha. Seashells my ass! I'm on to you... I hope we don't lose him, when he inevitably betrays the others. He's too awesome to go.
Yeah, that's what I was certain of, but then Edea said they grew up together. How would she not recognize Ringabel.

Top Bottom