• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Kadin

So is the only point of adding people to get more abilinks/summon friends? I like how the game gives you lots of options with regards to grinding/difficulty and other things, but I'm the worst person to give all these choices to!
Pretty much. Friends don't affect the Villagers in any way if you were wondering. They simply allow you access to more abilities that you don't have yet and for summoning during a fight. Can be pretty much overkill but sometimes people want that option, so I'm totally cool with it.

Wunder

Pretty much. Friends don't affect the Villagers in any way if you were wondering. They simply allow you access to more abilities that you don't have yet and for summoning during a fight. Can be pretty much overkill but sometimes people want that option, so I'm totally cool with it.

I suppose it's always nice to have a couple emergency buttons just in case you're about to lose a fight. I'm also totally terrible with the combat system and when I try to use the default/brave system I always get hammered, and find I'm doing way better with quad-braving through everything.

Is there any benefit in adding friends if you don't plan on using the Summon Friend attacks? I don't think I want to use things like that which might cheese the encounter (like one shotting a boss).

EDIT: nvm, someone just asked, lol.

Kadin

I suppose it's always nice to have a couple emergency buttons just in case you're about to lose a fight. I'm also totally terrible with the combat system and when I try to use the default/brave system I always get hammered, and find I'm doing way better with quad-braving through everything.
Yeah I was very confused in the beginning and I certainly don't have it mastered now. What I've found is that I quad-Brave a lot as well but I only do one or two of them maybe with my White Mage. Allows me to then heal more quickly or remove debuffs, etc. as needed.

Also don't forget that you also have access to the Sleep Points which can help during combat too.

I'm getting this in a week or two, but I have a question: are there shitty "collect 20 bear asses" style quests in the final game like in the demo? I hated that crap in the demo.

I'm getting this in a week or two, but I have a question: are there shitty "collect 20 bear asses" style quests in the final game like in the demo? I hated that crap in the demo.

Still in Chapter 2 but the only side quests I've seen so far are tutorial quests (they tell you to perform some action and you get an item as a reward) and sidequests that unlock new classes. Haven't seen any fetch or chat quests yet

watershed

Banned
Quick question: When I am choosing support abilities the ones written in red but are still equipable are abilities I have from being ablinked to a friend right?

no, each sidequest has plenty of backstory behind it and there's none of those types of quest
however, there is an annoying psuedo-fetch quest.....

You're right. That was a very clever joke

it wasn't supposed to be a joke until you failed to read my post

That's great to hear, what a relief. I don't mind the occasional fetch quest, but the demo overdid it and it isn't even that long. Thanks everyone!

2San

No, most side quests serve a purpose and are as good as the main story quests. If they don't fall in that category they offer an interesting new challenge, while recycling previous content. There are no sidequests of the type you described.

Ugh... My CE was stolen off my front porch yesterday.

I'll pick up a copy in a couple weeks I guess.

Quoting myself here...

Apparently my CE wasn't stolen, BB sent it to my old address despite updating everything. My old landlord got it back to me today, I'll be adding everyone shortly. I need to get my village cranking!

cm osi

Do you get more JP this way?

there's a way to get money without exping

you need a merchant and the blessed shield

you attack the enemy, then cure it with the merchant (i think it's called big pharma?) to get paid (be sure to heal him more than the damage inflicted) and then heal the party with the shield (use it as a item). turn auto and enjoy your money!
(it's a bit cheap but hey, not a cheat)

Kadin

Quoting myself here...

Apparently my CE wasn't stolen, BB sent it to my old address despite updating everything. My old landlord got it back to me today, I'll be adding everyone shortly. I need to get my village cranking!
Keep in mind that adding friends doesn't add villagers. Only Streetpasses or the Net Friend invites which you can do once a day via Update Data which will give you 2 or 3 villagers.

Keep in mind that adding friends doesn't add villagers. Only Streetpasses or the Net Friend invites which you can do once a day via Update Data which will give you 2 or 3 villagers.

Apparently I don't fully grasp how this stuff works.

Is it:

1. Friends don't get you villagers at all.
2. Friends get you villagers, but only 2-3 per day.
3. Something else entirely.

Corpekata

Banned
You get villagers when you use the Update Data in the save menu. Once a day you're allowed to Net Invite (resets around noon). This will send out invites to random other people that are playing (not on friend list) and you'll get any nemesis they have marked to send to. You get one villager per net friend invite person, which is usually 3-4.

You can also get villagers via Street Passing people, but Update Data is how you do it if you can't find any street pass people.

Kadin

Is it:

Sorry, it's option 1 for friends you add online.

The 2-3 per day is via the option when you save to "Update Data". This can be done once per day and resets at 7am PT/10am ET. This basically gives you random characters to be additional villagers.

The other option to get them is via Streetpasses via people around you locally, etc. Don't believe there's a limit to them.

Gaz_RB

You get villagers when you use the Update Data in the save menu. Once a day you're allowed to Net Invite (resets around noon). This will send out invites to random other people that are playing (not on friend list) and you'll get any nemesis they have marked to send to. You get one villager per net friend invite person, which is usually 3-4.

You can also get villagers via Street Passing people, but Update Data is how you do it if you can't find any street pass people.

Exactly. Net Invite is basically online streetpassing.

cm osi

Is it:

-friends get you a villager if they have the game, and only once
-you can get 2-4 villagers a day by updating your data in the save menu
-you can get villagers by defeating nemesis

Thank you for the quick breakdown.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I feel like this game has so much customization that the difficulty balance is off... granted I've only been playing for about 4 hours.

I worry about getting over leveled and taking the challenge out of the game. I also worry about Ablinking/Summons just making the game too easy, I'm deciding not to even use that stuff.

Anyone who has finished the JP/EU versions have any advice how to keep the game at a "normal" difficulty curve?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Quoting myself here...

Whew. Glad it ended up not being stolen at least.

Gaz_RB

I feel like this game has so much customization that the difficulty balance is off... granted I've only been playing for about 4 hours.

I worry about getting over leveled and taking the challenge out of the game. I also worry about Ablinking/Summons just making the game too easy, I'm deciding not to even use that stuff.

Anyone who has finished the JP/EU versions have any advice how to keep the game at a "normal" difficulty curve?

It reminds me a lot of Fire Emblem Awakening actually. The connectivity and freedom made the game easier, but it's still pretty fun.

Is Hard the highest the difficulty goes? No New Game Plus Difficulty?

Leezard

Just turn off the exp gain until you feel more properly leveled.

Having a high encounter rate actually makes the game easier since you grind more, so reducing it to -50% or -100% will make it more difficult since you level slower, so encounters and bosses will be more difficult.

Just got the game and figured I'd need some friends for the village. I added some of you guys from the last couple you guys and pm'd.

My code is 4957-2267-6486 if anyone wants to add me, pm me with yours if you do.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Started Chapter 1. Prediction:
Alternis is the evil part of Ringabel. They used to be one person until they got split in two. Same for airy and whatever that other fairy was. If I am right, I probably shouldn't have read that entire journal.

Top Bottom