• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Chapter 1 spoilers:

Any tips for the Dragon guarding the Rainbow thread, other than grind? I'm level 14 all party members, yet his Mow Down and Bully attacks always seem to wipe my party.

Grind and get better weapons/classes. I literally annihilated it in 2-3 turns, even though I was near dead when I did, but it was due to the my 100% offensive strategy.

Seda

Alright, time to get back into this, I had just gotten the Thief/Merchant, so time to give those a few job levels.

Gaz_RB

The guy who you fight to unlock Merchant is a jerk. He blew me up with his 300 damage coin throws.

Time to revisit that later after a little grinding sesh.

Oh, and in addition to my previous advice,

I would mostly default/heal until he defaults, and then the turn right after that, unleash the hurt. He has this nasty habit of defaulting fright when you're about to brave attack him all out, so it's best to hit him the turn after you see him default.

Protag

Banned
Oh, and in addition to my previous advice,

I would mostly default/heal until he defaults, and then the turn right after that, unleash the hurt. He has this nasty habit of defaulting fright when you're about to brave attack him all out, so it's best to hit him the turn after you see him default.

I added you

Soul Beat

Upgraded my summon attack! Now all of you can witness it's magnificence! Mgrgrgr!

0AbFDne.jpg

God, I love this game so much. It's like a dream come true.

Oi, so there are multiple towns to run around in, eh?

In 3D, the demo town was gorgeous. How are the sidequests? What do they consist of?

Gaz_RB

Oi, so there are multiple towns to run around in, eh?

In 3D, the demo town was gorgeous. How are the sidequests? What do they consist of?

They're pretty awesome. They're primarily how you get new jobs, and they aren't just fetch quests. Basically the opposite of the demo. The sidequest i just did (the first one in the game, I believe) had me running around unraveling mysteries and corruption! Fully voiced with interesting characters and enemies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Put about 20 ish hours into this and it's only been released for 3 days.

I love how easy it is to grind, so I don't mind it too much. I'm at level 60+ now but still need a few jobs.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Insane... I'm at 13 and about level 15...
Just brave for the scrubs in the field and try to finish off everyone in one round

It can lead to bad habits since I go all out in bosses when you should be more careful, but so long as you adjust, it's easy to grind.

I haven't reached the knight class yet and I'm at lvl 21 on 3 characters, except for Edea who's at lvl 16. OCD's kicking in. Better Grind for an even lvl 21 team....

Kadin

Don't forget that there's an option to turn off your EXP gain if you're grinding JPs unless you're wanting to completely over-level your characters for the rest of the game. I didn't think about doing this myself but saw someone mention it and glad I did.

Anyone else using a bow to grind with auto battles think the sound of 7 arrows hitting a target sounds like firing a machine gun? Been grinding a bunch and it never gets old to me :D

Anyone else using a bow to grind with auto battles think the sound of 7 arrows hitting a target sounds like firing a machine gun? Been grinding a bunch and it never gets old to me :D

How is the bow weapon class so over powered?! Edea as a thief mows through enemies when I drop four Braves. It's absurd.

Ken

You might try
unequipping the knuckles- Knuckle Lore means you can sometimes actually outlevel a knuckle weapon; equipping Stomp from Knight also helps, as does Invigorate. Main dude also seemed to have lower Magic Defence. Make sure you have the best equips, too, obviously.

The Thief has high evade, I believe. Stop using normal attacks (via the Attack command), as they will be crippled, and use your abilities (like the Knight's Stomp). Especially Black Magic because his Magic Defence sucks.

Also, sell all your Hi-Potions so he stops stealing them from you to heal.

I beat him up with Summon Friend. @_@

Paradox Green

Neo Member
Picked this up and really enjoying it, my second 3ds game so far. Id like to take advantage of the social aspects so here is my friend code and ill go ahead and add a bunch that have been posted.

1048-9696-0571

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I dont understand how people do this, even woth the config options
There are good spots to level up in. And I turn encounters off in dungeons. I will grind then do the next few parts of the story and repeat. There's also an excellent spot outside the town in chapter 4 where the enemies are weak to fire, and you can either buy a flame sword or cast fire spells and kill them fast.

Also fast forwarding battles too.

There are good spots to level up in. And I turn encounters off in dungeons. I will grind then do the next few parts of the story and repeat. There's also an excellent spot outside the town in chapter 4 where the enemies are weak to fire, and you can either buy a flame sword or cast fire spells and kill them fast.

Also fast forwarding battles too.
Good to know thanks! I'm still in chapter 2, trying to unlock more classes before continuing with the story but I'm already lvl 30, think I may turn off Xp soon lol.

Finally beat that lvl10 Nemesis - it was still hard at 15, imo. That one Acid Breath ability he does hits soooooooo hard. It's hard to prepare for it besides just using Default (I try to keep everyone topped off as close to it hitting as possible, but there's always at least one attack before it goes off that I can't heal up on someone). I want my Ninja for Utsusemi.. xD

Animekatt

How is the bow weapon class so over powered?! Edea as a thief mows through enemies when I drop four Braves. It's absurd.

Thief + bow = the best. I plan on keeping Tiz as a Thief for a loooong time.

My newest jobs are the Time Mage and Spell fencer (Agnes looks sexy), and they seem fun so far. The town of flowers is quite interesting, but very beautiful, especially with the 3D on. In fact, I find it pretty hard to play the game with the 3D off. I always keep it up at max power.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget that there's an option to turn off your EXP gain if you're grinding JPs unless you're wanting to completely over-level your characters for the rest of the game. I didn't think about doing this myself but saw someone mention it and glad I did.

Do you get more JP this way?

Maybesew

You are exactly where I am. I leveled up time Mage for the magic attack support ability, but I dunno if I'll go much further with it. Anything interesting from the spell fencer ability list?

Wunder

Hey guys, just got the game and working my way through the prologue/beginning parts and I was wondering what Abilink/Summon Friends actually do - I only have a max of 20 friends, can I pick which ones I want? I have 50 Friends registered on my 3DS. Do the same 20 friends have to keep re-sending their attacks after if I use them?

For Abilink, is that literally a job class level up for anything? I abilinked with someone who had a lvl 14 Monk with my Tiz and he just had all the abilities, is that a really dumb idea? I took it off after one fight coz it was bizarre.

Do you get more JP this way?
No you don't, only way to boost jp is equipping a special item from village accessory shop (one of the last unlocks) or jp up from freelancer

You are exactly where I am. I leveled up time Mage for the magic attack support ability, but I dunno if I'll go much further with it. Anything interesting from the spell fencer ability list?
They're pretty awesome, they're physical dmg class with high affinity to heavy armor that uses magic to add an elemental/spell effect to your weapon for 10 turns. Making all my characters learn the first 5 lvls (lvl 5 is a mana leech buff)

Kadin

Hey guys, just got the game and working my way through the prologue/beginning parts and I was wondering what Abilink/Summon Friends actually do - I only have a max of 20 friends, can I pick which ones I want? I have 50 Friends registered on my 3DS. Do the same 20 friends have to keep re-sending their attacks after if I use them?

For Abilink, is that literally a job class level up for anything? I abilinked with someone who had a lvl 14 Monk with my Tiz and he just had all the abilities, is that a really dumb idea? I took it off after one fight coz it was bizarre.
I quickly removed a bunch of the Abilinks that I set for pretty much the same reason. I left one enabled since I had a weapon that kind of required it but beyond that, I didn't want to give myself too much of an advantage. I love that it's an option, but one I don't see myself using much of. Yet at least... ;)

FaintDeftone

My friend code is 3523-2037-7326

If you add me, PM me so I can add you as well.

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I feel the demo wasn't a very good representation of the full game since it actually eases you into it more unlike the demo. Looking forward to playing more.

Wunder

I quickly removed a bunch of the Abilinks that I set for pretty much the same reason. I left one enabled since I had a weapon that kind of required it but beyond that, I didn't want to give myself too much of an advantage. I love that it's an option, but one I don't see myself using much of. Yet at least... ;)

So is the only point of adding people to get more abilinks/summon friends? I like how the game gives you lots of options with regards to grinding/difficulty and other things, but I'm the worst person to give all these choices to!

Top Bottom