• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Thief + Angel bow is pretty kickass early on. I just started chapter 2.

Yes it is. I'm still early on in Chapter 1 and I just got that combo on one of my character. He does so much damage, lol.

---

btw question, what are the "Durations" on the Nemesis? Like the lvl10 one says something like Duration: 2/7/2014 ~ 2/10/2014. Does that mean it's gonna go away tomorrow?

fates

Uh, Amazon just shipped something. For those of you who got CE, how much did the package weigh? The shipping info says the package was 1.17 lbs, seems a little light?

They charged me for a CE, but with the week I've been having I wouldn't be surprised if they sent a normal.

Tommy DJ

Yes it is. I'm still early on in Chapter 1 and I just got that combo on one of my character. He does so much damage, lol.

---

btw question, what are the "Durations" on the Nemesis? Like the lvl10 one says something like Duration: 2/7/2014 ~ 2/10/2014. Does that mean it's gonna go away tomorrow?

Yes unless you protect it, which saves the encounter.

Fandangox

Uh, Amazon just shipped something. For those of you who got CE, how much did the package weigh? The shipping info says the package was 1.17 lbs, seems a little light?

They charged me for a CE, but with the week I've been having I wouldn't be surprised if they sent a normal.

It has the 34 (I think) AR card set, the OST, and the Artbook, and the game of course. When I went to pick it up the LE was was bigger than I expected, its not that weighty though.

Just started the game and I'm not terribly far. Last thing I got was the black mage job and I've just been grinding to level up some jobs right now.

Quick questions if anyone who is further is willing to answer:

- Any job types you recommend for certain characters? I've noticed that people say Tiz is basically a jack of all trades and a character you can try everything on and that with characters like say Ringabelle that you might want to focus on jobs that use speed and magic. But the game seems to basically balance out everything so any character can do whatever job you choose.

- Are you constantly switching jobs or later in the game have you found one/two jobs that fit your playstyle the best and you've kept that?

- Armor/weaponry. Is it better to keep rebuilding the village and buy armor/weaponry from them or does the inventory of the castle/first city keep expanding?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
My CEs arrived today from Amazon, on a Sunday.

They were pristine, individually wrapped in plastic sleeves, and in a box with air padding. They may have realized after receiving so many complaints that they might need to step up the packaging.

Nah, that's the right weight. There's not a ton in the CE that would add poundage. My two copies were 2.5 pounds or so. Despite the other issues, I'd be exceedingly surprised if Amazon ever shipped the wrong product.

Can choose any job for anybody.

As for shops, you will get new stuff when you visit a new town (mostly) which is your main source. You will get the odd item from your village but other than that it remains static.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sand Worm with one Merchant: 144pg
Sand Worm with two Merchants: 144pg

More Money says it's supposed to stack with multiple characters though. What's up?

More Money says it's supposed to stack with multiple characters though. What's up?

via GameFAQs guides:

More Money: Increases money earned from battles by 50%. Doesn't stack, contrary to the description.

Yeah the description is wrong.

You really don't need it though as you will be swimming in pg.

Can choose any job for anybody.

As for shops, you will get new stuff when you visit a new town (mostly) which is your main source. You will get the odd item from your village but other than that it remains static.

Appreciated.

Guess I'll continue to level up my village for now and one of these days I'll surf the thread for people wanting friends and I'll add them to my friends list.

B.K.

I think I'm going to have to do some leveling. I had exp turned off because I thought I was getting overleveled, but now, I can't beat enemies during the Chapter 2 sidequests. I really need to level WHM and BLM enough to use level three magic.

So I finally figured out why Thief and Ranger do so much damage, Hit Count is completely reliant on Agility and at least for now these classes have the highest agility so even though my Valkyrie has higher strength and damage on paper, my Thief and Ranger still do more damage using bows because they hit the target a few times more. Man I wish the Status Page wasn't under Tactics. So many things are buried in menus in the interface

So I finally figured out why Thief and Ranger do so much damage, Hit Count is completely reliant on Agility and at least for now these classes have the highest agility so even though my Valkyrie has higher strength and damage on paper, my Thief and Ranger still do more damage using bows because they hit the target a few times more. Man I wish the Status Page wasn't under Tactics. So many things are buried in menus in the interface

nah, the real reason is because those two are using machine guns, just listen to the sound of that rapid fire

:p

Whogie

I got an Elixer-giving Mammon Nemesis, and now I can afford anything. (Their Elixers go for 25k pg, so you can start the battle, steal one, run, repeat.) I can't help it, if there's something to exploit, I will.
Level 33 with the best Norende gear in the middle of chapter 2. Still having a blast, even if I'm steamrolling.

The system. 3DS games don't have their own Friend Codes.
Thank you.

I think I'm going to have to do some leveling. I had exp turned off because I thought I was getting overleveled, but now, I can't beat enemies during the Chapter 2 sidequests. I really need to level WHM and BLM enough to use level three magic.

What level are you?

nah, the real reason is because those two are using machine guns, just listen to the sound of that rapid fire

:p

haha maybe :) Have you tried using Crescent Moon with bows yet? I'm curious what the damage would look like. My 2 gunners kill stuff before my new Valkyrie can even swing

Doorman

Definitely this. For everyone talking about how cool of a feature the adjustable encounter rate is, it grates at me a little that you have to dig through about four menus just to get to it. A few other things about the interface still get to me as well but I've learned to deal with a lot of it.

Also, I was kind of excited when I first received the (ch. 1)
merchant
class, but several levels in I'm still not actually using any of the skills I've gained from it. Disappointing considering the way the boss to gain that job was slightly kicking my ass with a move that I haven't yet gained and likely won't have the
extra money
to use on it even when I do get it. Is this a class that becomes worthwhile later on or should I just save myself some hassle for now and boot Ringabel back to a job with some more immediate practical use?

Sinistral

I'm having a hell of a time using Stomp and the Two-Handed support ability in Chapter 2. Both from the Knight Class. Coupled with the Sword Fencer with a Scimitar is kind of nuts. I found it to be more damaging and more consistent (1 giant hit vs 6 smaller ones) than the Thief/Ranger with the Angel Bow.. Stomp with the Angel bow does more damage than just regular attacking for example. Least what I was experiencing.

Amazing game so far... Literally played it all weekend whenever I could... Ended today at 16 hours.

Definitely this. For everyone talking about how cool of a feature the adjustable encounter rate is, it grates at me a little that you have to dig through about four menus just to get to it. A few other things about the interface still get to me as well but I've learned to deal with a lot of it.

Also, I was kind of excited when I first received the (ch. 1)
merchant
class, but several levels in I'm still not actually using any of the skills I've gained from it. Disappointing considering the way the boss to gain that job was slightly kicking my ass with a move that I haven't yet gained and likely won't have the
extra money
to use on it even when I do get it. Is this a class that becomes worthwhile later on or should I just save myself some hassle for now and boot Ringabel back to a job with some more immediate practical use?

From what I've read around, the
Merchant class
isn't really much use early on in the game and is quite difficult to use altogether. I'd switch to something more practical, like the
Spell Fencer

I'm having a hell of a time using Stomp the Two-Handed support ability in Chapter 2. Both from the Knight Class. Coupled with the Sword Fencer with a Scimitar is kind of nuts. I found it to be more damaging and more consistent (1 giant hit vs 6 smaller ones) than the Thief/Ranger with the Angel Bow.. Stomp with the Angel bow does more damage than just regular attacking for example. Least what I was experiencing.

Amazing game so far... Literally played it all weekend whenever i could... Ended today at 16 hours.

That's an interesting strategy, I actually haven't used the Knight class too much so I totally forgot it has a nice AOE. I've tried Crescent Moon with the Angelic bow and its a helluva a sweeper (extra money woot!)

Doorman

From what I've read around, the
Merchant class
isn't really much use early on in the game and is quite difficult to use altogether. I'd switch to something more practical, like the
Spell Fencer

I'd like to use that...but I haven't unlocked it yet. Following up after the job I asked about the trail for that side-quest went cold. The note said to go to the great mill tower at night...but where the hell's that? I figured it would be in town but the most likely spot for that is blocked by a guard.

Kadin

Sounds about right. With the luck so many people had with the CE from Amazon, I'd be surprised if they didn't just stick extra tape on the ends of the box and apply the shipping label directly to it.

But seriously, I hope it comes undamaged.

So for a person who lives in the boonies is there a way to increase Villager count without doing the demo trick?

You're supposed to be able to update your village via the internet once per day and this is the way to get villagers. Also apparently you can add friends in here and that will get you more villagers.

I'd like to use that...but I haven't unlocked it yet. Following up after the job I asked about the trail for that side-quest went cold. The note said to go to the great mill tower at night...but where the hell's that? I figured it would be in town but the most likely spot for that is blocked by a guard.

Ah you get it (chapter 1 spoiler)
after you finish saving the crystal and return to the city and go through the cutscene. Then leave the city and come back at night to enter the great mill tower (its next to the magic shop)

spiritfox

Come back later.

Friends don't affect your village outside of Nemesis spawns. Streetpassing adds villagers.

Huh. Well I guess I'll travel through campus with my 3DS in my backpack, but I probably wont open it but for the occasional village management.

Does leaving the game in the village screen and closing it count as sleep mode that adds points?

Huh. Well I guess I'll travel through campus with my 3DS in my backpack, but I probably wont open it but for the occasional village management.

Does leaving the game in the village screen and closing it count as sleep mode that adds points?

I believe you need to streetpass with people who have played the game, so it might be more difficult to find those. Leaving the 3DS closed with the game running is sleep mode.

Busaiku

I'm definitely doing something wrong now though.
I'm in my 40s, but I'm now having difficulty getting through dungeons. Bosses are really tough now too.

Just really started to escalate around the end of chapter 2 and on.

My friend code is 3523-2037-7326

If you add me, PM me so I can add you as well.

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I feel the demo wasn't a very good representation of the full game since it actually eases you into it more unlike the demo. Looking forward to playing more.
Yeah they really shoulda started you at a higher level in the demo. Even normal enemies kick your ass and leveling in a demo is a waste of time.

I'm definitely doing something wrong now though.
I'm in my 40s, but I'm now having difficulty getting through dungeons. Bosses are really tough now too.

Just really started to escalate around the end of chapter 2 and on.

you haven't finished chapter 3 have you
gotta bring a Performer to buff up your party ;)

then after finishing chapter 3, get the Ninja class and spam Utsusemi

Top Bottom