• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Corpekata

Banned
Yes, there's no advantage not having a shield unless you're using the Two Handed passive skill.

Depends on the area and your party makeup. Dual wielding stat sticks might be worth the loss in defense since you're likely not attacking with them. Good way to get a magic attack boost. Dual wielding a staff and rod also means you're going to be earning their Specials pretty often.

Ricker

Ok where the heck is the hidden passage in the 3rd floor of the grotto...I know it's been answered a few times here but can't find it right now...will it appear just by walking close to it or do I have to use something...?(dont know what I could use)...doing some small grinding looking for that chest lol...

redcrayon

Ok where the heck is the hidden passage in the 3rd floor of the grotto...I know it's been answered a few times here but can't find it right now...will it appear just by walking close to it or do I have to use something...?(dont know what I could use)...doing some small grinding looking for that chest lol...

A hint rather than the answer:

Try pushing against the walls in rooms and corridors that don't have junk up against them, particularly dead ends. You'll soon get a feel for what looks like a likely spot.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, but then it takes so much MP, and Ethers are so expensive.

You can steal ethers from
chompers in the cave to yulyana woods
. Easy way to get them early if you've held onto
the theives dagger. It casts mug on use for free.

Got my copy yesterday and put four hours into it. I'm in love with it, but man, I feel like I'm behind compared to a lot of you guys in terms of time/level. I think all of my characters are around level... 8? 9?

TheContact

re posting my friend code for anyone who wants to add me. if you do , send me a PM and I'll add you back

Code:
4725 - 8075 - 8552

I am about 4 hours into the game, but I don't feel like i'm doing any damage to the enemies at all.

I need to get some friend codes so I can more people into my town.

RDreamer

Bah, I hate part of the design of the 3DS. Its too easy for the cartridge to pop out. Lost all my nightly Norende progress when I tried to put it in my pocket this morning and my thumb barely grazed it.

AEREC

So Normal or Hard? I also don't plan on touch the random encounter slider at all (wish they had a mode where it was locked).

Zing

Banned
Bah, I hate part of the design of the 3DS. Its too easy for the cartridge to pop out. Lost all my nightly Norende progress when I tried to put it in my pocket this morning and my thumb barely grazed it.
This is the first I have ever heard this complaint for either the original DS or 3DS. I feel my carts are actually too difficult to get in and out.

So Normal or Hard? I also don't plan on touch the random encounter slider at all (wish they had a mode where it was locked).
I'm playing on normal and the boss fights are already getting ridiculously difficult. I can't imagine them having even more HP and status effects. The game in general seems very easy until "chapter one".

Loving the game. Should I be max leveling a few jobs before moving on or should I try to level all the jobs pretty evenly?
Not only would that be boring as hell, but it would take an eternity. The JP required per level significantly increases after a few levels.

Still playing the demo to get the goodies. Realized the goodies aren't really worth it other than the glitch to get the villagers!
It's still not worth it. Those extra villagers will only help you unlock a ton of stuff that you can't even remotely hope to afford or use. I have just reached chapter one and I already have 11 villagers gained strictly via "update data" and they are already unlocking things I can't buy.

I'm finding Hard to be quite challenging, and I've been playing JRPGS for almost 2 decades. You definitely can't do brute force methods for boss fights, you will actually have to use strategy (at least after chapter 1 starts).

The encounter slider is handy for grinding, or looking through a dungeon again for treasure since the enemies will be so weak that you won't get much benefit from their spoils.

Koppai

So I finally started playing it on Normal Difficulty last night and I managed to get the hang of the battle system although I'm a little confused at how it works.

Okay so I choose Default to build up SP, then I use Brave to build up power and unleash it right? When I do it, why does it let me select to attack 3 times?

That is what I'm confused about. Otherwise I love the art style of this game, beautiful landscapes are a must for me in RPGs. :)

I also don't see what's so annoying about the voice acting, maybe this will be the first RPG other than Pokémon that I will finish in years?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Okay so I choose Default to build up SP, then I use Brave to build up power and unleash it right? When I do it, why does it let me select to attack 3 times?

That is what I'm confused about. Otherwise I love the art style of this game, beautiful landscapes are a must for me in RPGs. :)

You start the battle at 0 BP. Every action cost 1 BP. At the end of every turn, BP replenishes by 1. Brave makes you spend BP in advance if you want, but you won't act anymore until your BP is back to 0. Default makes you skip your turn, but you keep that point and gets a new one at the turn's end.

Zing

Banned
Think of "brave" as borrowing future turns. You are allowed to take up to four turns in a row, borrowing future turns if needed. "Default" is essentially defending (cuts all damage in half) and "deposits" a turn in your turn bank.

You can freely brave as many times as you wish, regardless of the number of turns stored in your turn bank. The only problem is that if you are in "turn debt" (have negative BP) when it is your turn to act, you get skipped that turn, effectively repaying a borrowed turn from earlier.

Think of "brave" as borrowing future turns. You are allowed to take up to four turns in a row, borrowing future turns if needed. "Default" is essentially defending (cuts all damage in half) and "deposits" a turn in your turn bank.

You can freely brave as many times as you wish, regardless of the number of turns stored in your turn bank. The only problem is that if you are in "turn debt" (have negative BP) when it is your turn to act, you get skipped that turn, effectively repaying a borrowed turn from earlier.

Good explanation.

You may think braving right off the bat is the best choice since you can get 4 actions in. For random battles, that's mostly true. Just keep in mind that those characters that go all out can't defend themselves for three turns if the enemies don't die. I usually have my mages default for this reason.

Zing

Banned
Yes, I always ensure at least one mage can act in turn two, in case I need to heal.

I noticed that some weapons mention attacking multiple enemies. Did I overlook the method for physical attacks on multiple enemies, or is this just referring to special abilities that can hit multiples?

Koppai

Okay I think I understand, I learn better as I play so I will definitely try to master it. So far I have been Defaulting first and then Attacking I guess. I got like 3 hits in one turn, so that means I borrowed from the future then?

This is one of the more interesting battle systems I have ever seen in an RPG. :)

Zing

Banned
Last night, I discovered that, in combat, I can press the d-pad on the enemy status screen to see the stats on any enemies I have fought in the past.

RDreamer

That Angel's Bow is ridiculous.

Also: This is weird. Update data was taking forever, and then I tried registering some codes from the thread and realized my 3DS wasn't connecting to the internet. It says internet up at the top with the blue bars, and my friends list displays, but I can't add anyone or update in Bravely Default. I try to test my connection and it fails, too. I haven't changed any settings since last night when it worked. Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: Nevermind I think I fixed it somehow.

Ricker

A hint rather than the answer:

Try pushing against the walls in rooms and corridors that don't have junk up against them, particularly dead ends. You'll soon get a feel for what looks like a likely spot.

Ok I will try that..I think I know where it is,maybe I wasn't pushing long enough,just keep walking in it basically...

Oh and Optimus for gear works very well most of the time...when I changed to Monk the first time,I had weapons equipped and didnt bother changing them and all of a sudden Tiz was doing shitty damage in Grotto,against those big Orcs that hit you for like 100 damage sometimes(at my level then)...I clicked Optimus and it removed the 2 weapons I had equipped and I started doing tons of damage lol...but sometimes it wont equip a bangle let's say even if I have none and it raises a few stats without lowering any...

Animekatt

This happens to me sometimes too, when I put my 3DS XL in my purse. It normally wouldn't pop out when I used the OG 3DS, but with the XL, it happens more often. Pretty annoying when I have Animal Crossing in it.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Okay, so I'm playing the rebuild the village mini game and I notice that monsters are invading my town. When I try to fight them, they are way overpowered and are kicking my ass. How do I handle these guys? Do I just leave them alone?

LakeEarth

Update Data gives you 2-4 villagers a day if you live in the boonies or have no friends with 3DSs.

Next time you go to the mall or something, bring the 3DS with you. Last weekend I was at the mall for a few hours and ended up with 11 street passes.

For people deep in the game, how's the story? Does the game keep you engaged? I hate it when RPGs give you long periods where the narrative gets lazy and you're just doing tasks for the sake of doing tasks.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I noticed that some weapons mention attacking multiple enemies. Did I overlook the method for physical attacks on multiple enemies, or is this just referring to special abilities that can hit multiples?
It's the latter.

cm osi

Okay, so I'm playing the rebuild the village mini game and I notice that monsters are invading my town. When I try to fight them, they are way overpowered and are kicking my ass. How do I handle these guys? Do I just leave them alone?

they're just sitting there, they don't cause damage. you can fight them whenever you want

Ricker

I have 4 Belzebub in there,level 10...now that I am level 10 I might try one just for kicks...so far I have left them alone...

Tadale

I'm playing on Normal difficulty, and against a tough enemy, I think the battle system works really well. I've had some really satisfying fights against bosses, and I'm about 11 hours in.

The problem is with regular encounters - in almost every fight, I can win on the first turn by just braving up a couple of fast attackers to four turns and unloading. It kind of makes it a grind, and recently I've just put it on auto fight and I just walk around. I could jack it up to hard difficulty, but the boss fights have been just challenging enough.

The story is cute enough and works fine, but the dialog and little interactions between the characters are sometimes pretty unbearable. The little womanizing quips aren't funny or witty - they're just juvenile and boring.

Otherwise, it's pretty great. I especially love how many different villain characters there are, especially since you unlock a new job after beating most of them.

The problem is with regular encounters - in almost every fight, I can win on the first turn by just braving up a couple of fast attackers to four turns and unloading. It kind of makes it a grind, and recently I've just put it on auto fight and I just walk around.

That's kind of how the game works, random encounters are trash mobs you can mostly autobattle your way through. The game actually encourages going all out on your first turn by giving you XP bonuses for finishing enemies in one turn and JP bonuses for winning without taking damage.

rhinosmitty

Neo Member
I have always loved these types of games but as I have gotten older, I always find myself getting burned out about half way through once the grinding starts. But this game remedies all of that! Having the ability to auto-fight and set battle speed and encounter rate is a godsend! It makes everything so convenient and has so far made grinding a non-factor. Wrapping up chapter 2 and loving every minute so far!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Grinding is too easy in this game and my OCD tendencies are too much so I'm fairly certain I'm way over leveled. Just about to enter the cave to Yulyana and I'm level 36 with all available classes at level 5 and each character has at least two classes at level 9 or there abouts.

I can pretty much auto every fight, on Hard, though I have to say the Mushrooms that constantly call up reinforcements almost wiped me out a few times. Then again I was relying pretty much on one character with an Angel Bow to take out everyone in one turn and they weren't even a Thief at the time but like a Time Mage.

Last night, I discovered that, in combat, I can press the d-pad on the enemy status screen to see the stats on any enemies I have fought in the past.

Yeah this is definitely explained in the Tutorial Quests. PLEASE EVERYONE DO THOSE! You get some free item everytime you do one and there is soooo many things buried deep in the game's menus

Leezard

Grinding is too easy in this game and my OCD tendencies are too much so I'm fairly certain I'm way over leveled. Just about to enter the cave to Yulyana and I'm level 36 with all available classes at level 5 and each character has at least two classes at level 9 or there abouts.

I can pretty much auto every fight, on Hard, though I have to say the Mushrooms that constantly call up reinforcements almost wiped me out a few times. Then again I was relying pretty much on one character with an Angel Bow to take out everyone in one turn and they weren't even a Thief at the time but like a Time Mage.
Just turn off the exp gain for a while.

Met that "old man sage" the Polygon review complained about. Thought he was pretty funny actually. Liked his interactions with Ringabell, too. And of course, Edea's comments.

I really, really love the dialogue in this game. It's so well written.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Got a digital copy today, didn't want to leave the house and that cover is gross.

Awesome game. Hard mode, manual save. In Acheim the clockwork town now.Sort of know what I'm doing, except for all that streetpass stuff.

No kidding, the cover is awful. They really thought they could sell the game with a child looking fairy in a short dress? Yuck.

You can fight them whenever (once you 'Protect' and lock the encounter). They are overpowered for the level it states in the description so I would recommend being at least 1.5-2x the level requirement before attempting them, especially if you are playing on hard mode. I did a level 10 one last night with most of my characters around level 15 and got my ass handed to me a few times. I eventually downed it but it was pretty close. I probably could have abused items, friend summons, and specials to make it easier but I used up a bunch of stuff earlier in the day while experimenting.

For the victory, I got a Dexterity Bun which permanently increases the base Dexterity of any character. I will definitely be doing more of these in the future.

Swarna

At 11 hours in I'm loving this game. I've wiped on a couple of boss fights and had to change my equips, party set-ups, and strategies for each one specifically (playing on Hard with no grinding). As an example, for
Dragon I had to get +P-DEF gear on everyone to not get one-shot and purchase the Blessed Shield for the castable Cura to keep up with his damage output. On the two-headed dog I had to prioritize +M-DEF, +HP, Shell on a few members, and an aggro accessory on my Knight for the single-target hits to prevent one-shots.
I think part of why I'm enjoying the difficulty so much is because I could tailor it to me specifically. I find that most JRPG's lack versatile options in fights so that you're sort of forced to grind (but then they become too easy). This one is doing marvellous so far in that department, though, and it's a real rarity/treat.

Top Bottom