• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

alichino

Making my way through Chapter 1, and just reached the
dragon boss guarding the rainbow thread after I just finished unlocking the Thief and Merchant jobs. My current party setup is Black Mage, Thief, White Mage, and Monk and he's kicking my ass at level 16.
I think I need to grind in the area a bit more.

Also, I'm enjoying the game a whole lot more now that I have the voice acting turned off. The English and Japanese voice acting isn't terrible or anything, just not my taste. It also adds to dat old school feeling.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I've really got to set up the Abilink stuff for some of my characters. I think it's the system I really understand the least of them all.

In other news, my 3DS has been in sleep mode for a better part of the past few days -- when I'm not playing -- so I can rebuild Norende. At least 7 or 8 of the shops are at level 5 or 6 now.

Gotta love that. It's great when you're too busy to actually play, at least you can check in from time to time and delegate villagers to rebuilding.

Corpekata

Banned
What does "Brave Attack Rate" mean? I can buy an item that increases it but I have no idea what it does.

When you start fights you sometimes get first turns, an extra brave point, etc (and so do enemies). Brave Attack Rate are those fights where you start off with 1 BP banked.

Received my CE replacement from Amazon, after informing them the first one was shipped in a flimsy bubble mailer...

So they shipped this one in a flimsy bubble mailer and is even more beat up than the first one.

Exact same thing happened to me. They shipped mine in a bubble mailer envelope and I found it shoved in the mail box. The box was completely damaged in one corner, the spine of the box bowed out, and torn on the inside. I took pictures and will be filing a complaint with them, but it doesn't look like they have any replacement copies...

1) I kept leveling jobs for useful passives, but my team makeup was pretty much set halfway through the game.

2) It's worth rebuilding the village, but most of my gear is from towns/dungeons. You won't be at that first castle long.

Appreciated.

I walked around campus today. I've noticed my campus doesn't have many people walking around with their 3DS. The 3DS was like designed for New Yorkers. I'll try doing my update right now

This is the first time I've run into this kind of problem with them. They're usually good about this shit. It's crazed.

Same here... Usually have no problem with Amazon. But hey, at least you got two copies now! :)

Mine was reportedly left at my door yesterday evening (apparently there are shipping companies that deliver on Sundays!), but there's no box at my door. -_- I'm hoping they find it soon, or I get a replacement. I really want my CE.

guys anyone know of an experience chart... like to know how much exp it takes to 99.

No but I found a chart for JP lvls
Level 2: 30 JP
Level 3: 70 JP
Level 4: 150 JP
Level 5: 200 JP
Level 6: 250 JP
Level 7: 400 JP
Level 8: 600 JP
Level 9: 800 JP
Level 10: 3,500 JP
Level 11: 4,000 JP
Level 12: 4,000 JP
Level 13: 5,000 JP
Level 14: 5,000 JP/9,999 JP for Freelancer

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/bra...obs-to-use-where-to-get-them-and-what-they-do

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just got to the fire continent and am really loving this game.
Valkyrie
seems pretty damn OP for grinding. Just wander around with autobattle AOE moves on and enjoy that exp.

guys anyone know of a experience chart... like to know how much exp it takes to 99.

well, I wasted a bunch of time compiling this (only up to level 78):

Code:
Level	EXP required (cumulative)
1	0
2	15
3	45
4	100
5	180
6	300
7	440
8	590
9	770
10	1000
11	1350
12	1750
13	2300
14	2900
15	3550
16	4250
17	5000
18	5800
19	6650
20	7550
21	9300
22	11100
23	12950
24	14850
25	16800
26	18800
27	21000
28	23500
29	26000
30	29000
31	32500
32	36200
33	40000
34	44000
35	48200
36	53000
37	58000
38	63200
39	68800
40	74500
41	80500
42	86800
43	93500
44	100500
45	107800
46	115500
47	123500
48	132000
49	140700
50	149700
51	160000
52	173000
53	190000
54	210000
55	235000
56	265000
57	300000
58	340000
59	380500
60	421500
61	463000
62	505000
63	548000
64	592000
65	637000
66	683000
67	730000
68	780000
69	830000
70	880000
71	950000
72	1020000
73	1090000
74	1160000
75	1230000
76	1300000
77	1370000
78	1440000

I've got two of my four party members to a point where I'm pretty happy. The way you can work the various abilities, items, and jobs to create powerhouses is just nuts in this game.

For example, I have Edea as a Valkyrie, which uses a lot of BP-centric moves to unleash powerful attacks. Her sub job is as Spellfencer, so she can power up her attacks with various magics. Her Support abilities include Bow Lore (I love bows, and they're super powerful in this game) and Raid (gain an extra BP when your party gets first strike in battle. THEN I have her holding an item than raises my party's first strike rate, and Ringabel holding an item that lowers the first strike rate for enemies, all so she can build up BP fast.

She's a fucking tank.

I've got two of my four party members to a point where I'm pretty happy. The way you can work the various abilities, items, and jobs to create powerhouses is just nuts in this game.

For example, I have Edea as a Valkyrie, which uses a lot of BP-centric moves to unleash powerful attacks. Her sub job is as Spellfencer, so she can power up her attacks with various magics. Her Support abilities include Bow Lore (I love bows, and they're super powerful in this game) and Raid (gain an extra BP when your party gets first strike in battle. THEN I have her holding an item than raises my party's first strike rate, and Ringabel holding an item that lowers the first strike rate for enemies, all so she can build up BP fast.

She's a fucking tank.

for a Valkyrie, you should probably use a Spear + Two-Handed support instead

Mugaaz

Two things in this game I think are objectively bad

1 - All the bonuses for winning in 1 rd / unscathed. Promotes the absolute most boring gameplay ever through grinding insanely easy enemies through auto-battle instead of fighting anything remotely challenging.

2 - All spells being locked to town progression. Just makes a lot of the mage classes really, really pointless until almost end-game. Meanwhile all the non spell buying classes are getting all their relevant abilities.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

1 - All the bonuses for winning in 1 rd / unscathed. Promotes the absolute most boring gameplay ever through grinding insanely easy enemies through auto-battle instead of fighting anything remotely challenging.

2 - All spells being locked to town progression. Just makes a lot of the mage classes really, really pointless until almost end-game. Meanwhile all the non spell buying classes are getting all their relevant abilities.
Objectively; are you sure you want to use that word?

1 - I only grind when I have to get past a boss and the bonuses really help cut that time down

2 - Do you want the game to be even more broken with Abilink? Spells are nice and all, but MP is very rare to come by in the early part of the game; imagine people using the ~50 MP cost spells from the get-go and finding mages useless.

HildyB

Going to add some folks (I'll PM you too). Just got the game over the weekend and it is a blast.

FC: 4699 5687 6328 - ScudMuffin

Mugaaz

Objectively; are you sure you want to use that word?

1 - I only grind when I have to get past a boss and the bonuses really help cut that time down

2 - Do you want the game to be even more broken with Abilink? Spells are nice and all, but MP is very rare to come by in the early part of the game; imagine people using the ~50 MP cost spells from the get-go and finding mages useless.

Yes, I'm sure I want to use that word.

1. What does this matter at all? Why is the dumbest most brain dead way to play the game provide the most incentive somehow invalidated by it having a large incentive?

2. I'm not talking about Ablink, I'm talking about how spell progression has artificial roadblocks that other classes don't share. This causes those classes to be useless for long periods of time for no reason. Your MP example can be used for the non spell buying classes in the current game.

Skilletor

5 hours in (and in the demo), my mages are my main damage dealers and the bonuses are negligible. If you feel it promotes being bored, that sounds like a personal issue.

I don't see the issue with buying spells. It's no different than needing to buy better weapons to make your attack classes stronger.

Neh

Grinding is always optional; I feel the pace of the game and default encounter rate has you strong enough for most encounters, although granted you sometimes have to work the shit out of the system (which is what's intended).

Mages are also useful enough at the beginning as long as you have spells bought and have them equipped well.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yes, I'm sure I want to use that word.

1. What does this matter at all? Why is the dumbest most brain dead way to play the game provide the most incentive somehow invalidated by it having a large incentive?

2. I'm not talking about Ablink, I'm talking about how spell progression has artificial roadblocks that other classes don't share. This causes those classes to be useless for long periods of time for no reason. Your MP example can be used for the non spell buying classes in the current game.
1 - You think grinding is just AutoAutoAuto? You must have been either grinding on some weak ass shit or changing your party and skills to specifically grind. The game has lots of options, allowing players of a wide variety to get into it.

2. Except they are not useless. Perhaps they were useless to you because you grinded so much in your first claim. Non-mages don't need MP to deal a significant amount of damage though; if you're using MP skills on them for every fight, you are doing it wrong.

Ultrabum

Ya I wish the job point bonus was tied to something better than taking no damage. Pretty much the only way to get it is fight stuff you can kill in one turn, which turns into all auto attacks/fire on 4x speed.

I wish there was another job point bonus condition.

Ack, any tips on Chapter 1 end boss?
Orthos in the Wind Temple? I managed to kill one head but he gets a lot of extra turns without defaulting. Argh.

fade_

So i haven't been following this thread too closely. Was curious if there were any differences found between the european and US version so far?

Is there any reason to not duel wield rods/staves as Black Mage/White Mage early on?

Also, I had to turn off Ablink, it felt way too broken. A lot of the multiplayer stuff seems a little broken. I wish it was more tied to Norende instead. I feel the way about SP too, this stuff is overkill but I guess good for people who don't play many RPGs.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I'm not as bothered by either given that progression gating for mages is often standard in older RPG's, from earlier FF games to even Baldurs Gate. Also, non-boss battle fodder can get a bit irritating to carve through for level preparedness, that a little extra push for clean and efficient victories(you don't want to prolong any of those fights beyond necessary anyway) is a nice assisted help. But it does have the reverse effect as you state, pushing a lack of engagement from anything outside major encounters, and being irritated as your mages sit somewhat behind the curve of the party until you stumble onto the next magic shop.

I just snagged the full game though and have only played through the demo, but I don't view each as objectively bad, just a test of player patience stemming from a long legacy of game balance. Given the sheer strength of magic, would it be wiser to give the most powerful spells automatically to patient grinders allowing them to steamroll through enemies not designed to withstand the heaviest spells? (Wouldn't that further ruin your game balance problem?) At least in the demo, even when I unlocked the best melee skills, it didn't feel so savagely imbalanced when my mages were matching turns with lv.1 spells despite being maxed in their classes, and it kept the game balance a bit more even until it was certain I was facing foes balanced for the extra power of Lv. 3 magic once available. Ultimately, mages never 'feel' pointless, even when stuck with lesser spells. They are generally the most consistent and powerful damage dealers, hence the need to constrain their progression more than other classes.

Vestment Cave I found to be pretty good for AP.
Also you know that the jump from job 9 to 10 is 3500 JP right? Might take quite a while since even with the bonuses mobs don't give a whole lot of JP this early on

Fuuuuuuckk me, Whats Job cap anyways? Thanks for the tip

Edit: never mind, Just scrolled up and saw it's 15

Ya I wish the job point bonus was tied to something better than taking no damage. Pretty much the only way to get it is fight stuff you can kill in one turn, which turns into all auto attacks/fire on 4x speed.

I wish there was another job point bonus condition.

Nothing stops a good Unscathed chain like an enemy first strike :x

Does anyone actually use a Red Mage? I have a White and Black, and while the flexibility of the Red is nice, eventually you would be hamstrung by the magic restrictions, and i feel like you would use a TON of MP.

I have a White/Time combo, and a Black/White combo (the Black just has white spells to use in a pinch).

I've been looking for other options for sub jobs for the Black and White though. The Time magic doesn's seem to be incredibly useful, and it seems like there's a better way to make use of the Black Mage's sub job to complement him. Any ideas?

Minor Chapter 1/Chapter 2 subquest spoilers:

Anyone else really enjoy the dialogue in the Thief and Summoner sub quest? Feel like I haven't been this interested in a jrpgs writing in so long.

Was able to score a cheap 70 dollar 3DS

After playing the demo I cannot wait to fire this up.

Damn you SE for making me spend all this impulse money for one excellent game ;
;)

Was able to score a cheap 70 dollar 3DS

After playing the demo I cannot wait to fire this up.

Damn you SE for making me spend all this impulse money for one excellent game ;
;)

have you had a 3ds before? if not.. you are in for a treat. There are a lot of great games on the system.

I should quit grinding or at least turn off exp in the options menu. My leveling jobs addiction means I'm level 24 and on my way to the (chapter 1 spoiler)
forest area to repair the garb Agnes needs to do the rites. How overleveled is that for where I am?
I'm killing enemies so fast with Thief + Angel's Bow. Pretty insane.

rugioh

Banned
I should quit grinding or at least turn off exp in the options menu. My leveling jobs addiction means I'm level 24 and on my way to the (chapter 1 spoiler)
forest area to repair the garb Agnes needs to do the rites. How overleveled is that for where I am?
I'm killing enemies so fast with Thief + Angel's Bow. Pretty insane.

If its any perspective, I haven't really grinded at all and I'm at about level 17-18 at the same spot.

Wtf is up with the suggested levels in the nemeses fights?

Went against the level 20 guy at 23, one fira later (on the first turn) and I had lost both ringabel and agnes, with the other two under 100 health each

That went poorly

All theses jobs and I'm in panic mode cuz I don't know when is a good time to switch. Seems like it's harder to lvl jobs after lvl 4-5. I'm still using monk/white Mage/knight/black Mage but I have thief and merchant unlocked.

I don't want to miss out on skills. When do you guys switch jobs?

All theses jobs and I'm in panic mode cuz I don't know when is a good time to switch. Seems like it's harder to lvl jobs after lvl 4-5. I'm still using monk/white Mage/knight/black Mage but I have thief and merchant unlocked.

Not much use for merchant early on but thief is a pretty sweet job, between its speed and steal abilities its worth leveling up

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I don't want to miss out on skills. When do you guys switch jobs?

I usually switch at 9 when the huge JP jump happens.

Soul Beat

Wtf is up with the suggested levels in the nemeses fights?

Went against the level 20 guy at 23, one fira later (on the first turn) and I had lost both ringabel and agnes, with the other two under 100 health each

That went poorly
Good to know I'm not the only one that this happened to. It's almost as if Squeenix wants us to die.

Top Bottom