• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Grinding is too easy in this game and my OCD tendencies are too much so I'm fairly certain I'm way over leveled. Just about to enter the cave to Yulyana and I'm level 36 with all available classes at level 5 and each character has at least two classes at level 9 or there abouts.

I can pretty much auto every fight, on Hard, though I have to say the Mushrooms that constantly call up reinforcements almost wiped me out a few times. Then again I was relying pretty much on one character with an Angel Bow to take out everyone in one turn and they weren't even a Thief at the time but like a Time Mage.

Maaaan. I don't mind grinding JP and stuff but that sounds really over the top. Can you one round bosses now?

Grinding is too easy in this game and my OCD tendencies are too much so I'm fairly certain I'm way over leveled. Just about to enter the cave to Yulyana and I'm level 36 with all available classes at level 5 and each character has at least two classes at level 9 or there abouts.

I can pretty much auto every fight, on Hard, though I have to say the Mushrooms that constantly call up reinforcements almost wiped me out a few times. Then again I was relying pretty much on one character with an Angel Bow to take out everyone in one turn and they weren't even a Thief at the time but like a Time Mage.
Wow... I will never understand this approach to JRPG's. Not knocking you at all, if you enjoy playing this way that's cool, but I would be bored within a few hours.

With these types of games and even SRPG's that have optional content like FE:A I try my best to maintain the difficulty balance of the game. I haven't used friend summons in BD so far and I avoid messing with the encounter slider unless I need to make a quick uninterrupted trip, for example.

I always find it fascinating how many RPG players take pleasure in just breaking the difficulty curve of a game as quickly as possible.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Maaaan. I don't mind grinding JP and stuff but that sounds really over the top. Can you one round bosses now?

No, but they haven't been much of a challenge. Normally defaulting fully 2-3 times has done the job, but they can still hit pretty hard depending on what Jobs I have equipped, so it's not all easy, just the normal encounters take no effort.

Wow... I will never understand this approach to JRPG's. Not knocking you at all, if you enjoy playing this way that's cool, but I would be bored within a few hours.

With these types of games and even SRPG's that have optional content like FE:A I try my best to maintain the difficulty balance of the game. I haven't used friend summons in BD so far and I avoid messing with the encounter slider unless I need to make a quick uninterrupted trip, for example.

I always find it fascinating how many RPG players take pleasure in just breaking the difficulty curve of a game as quickly as possible.

It was by total accident, I've never really over leveled before in a game, it's all because the game allows for such easy grinding. I was just fighting battles while doing other stuff to bring my Job levels in line and then after a couple of hours of watching TV and doing some other stuff I looked and saw I was like lvl 34, and had a crap ton of money which was nice, but again I now have super nice gear for my peoples thanks to the fact that I opened up my whole village and have every shop above lvl 6, half at lvl 9/10. So yeah. I'm gonna take it easy from now on with the grinding and what not.

AggroWill

Neo Member
I've been settling with roles of Tiz doing physical damage/theft/debuffs, Agnes doing healing/support, Ringabel doing magic damage, and Edea doing physical damage, but I'm far along enough that I've started to master some jobs.

The Freelancer class has generally good performance for equipment, and it gets +1% of all stats for every job mastered. If I bothered to master all 15 jobs, do you think the bonus would be worth it to keep that class main?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Daily update

Amazon, @ 16:21 GMT

Bravely Default | Standard ($39.96) - 2nd / Collector's - 85th (sold by third parties; price no reported)

Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
PS3 ($59.99) - 5th
360 ($59.99) - 34th

LR: FFXIII releases tomorrow

*noonecanstopthishappening*

gkiGgl4l.jpg

Next time you go to the mall or something, bring the 3DS with you. Last weekend I was at the mall for a few hours and ended up with 11 street passes.

For people deep in the game, how's the story? Does the game keep you engaged? I hate it when RPGs give you long periods where the narrative gets lazy and you're just doing tasks for the sake of doing tasks.

The mall is an hour away, but im so glad I can update data and get new villagers now.

pariah164

I'm about ready to put this game on easy. (Chapter 1 spoilers.)

Yes, I'm still having issues with the dragon guarding the rainbow thread. Agnes is Level 17/5 White Mage; Tiz is Level 18/5 Monk; Ringabel is Level 17/4 Thief; and Edea is Level 17/5 Black Mage. I got the Angel Bow for Ringabel and the Bastet Claws for Tiz. My main problem is that the dragon loooooves to target Agnes, and I have to waste a turn and use a Phoenix Down with one of my other characters. My SP is full, so should I just use that at the start and spam the dragon?

I'm about ready to put this game on easy. (Chapter 1 spoilers.)

Yes, I'm still having issues with the dragon guarding the rainbow thread. Agnes is Level 17/5 White Mage; Tiz is Level 18/5 Monk; Ringabel is Level 17/4 Thief; and Edea is Level 17/5 Black Mage. I got the Angel Bow for Ringabel and the Bastet Claws for Tiz. My main problem is that the dragon loooooves to target Agnes, and I have to waste a turn and use a Phoenix Down with one of my other characters. My SP is full, so should I just use that at the start and spam the dragon?

I believe the dragon targets the character with the lowest HP. If you level up your town a bit you can get an item that keep Aggro from building. The description states that it makes a character no more likely to be targeted than anyone else. Equipping that on Agnes might stop her from being targeted.

You can also get a passive job skill for, I believe, White Mage, that lets you distribute the damage the character takes to the other characters. You should be pretty close to earning it if you are Level 5.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I believe the dragon targets the character with the lowest HP. If you level up your town a bit you can get an item that keep Aggro from building. The description states that it makes a character no more likely to be targeted than anyone else. Equipping that on Agnes might stop her from being targeted.

You can also get a passive job skill for, I believe, White Mage, that lets you distribute the damage the character takes to the other characters. You should be pretty close to earning it if you are Level 5.

It's actually a Black Mage ability. BM level 5 to be exact.

The damage distribution support ability is from Black mage. level 4 or 5 I believe.

Shiggie

This is the first I have ever heard this complaint for either the original DS or 3DS. I feel my carts are actually too difficult to get in and out.

This has happened to me a few times actually. The main reason I go mainly digital. I still remember my Kid Icarus... ;(

TheChaos

Fuuuuuuuuck the Chapter 2 end boss on Hard. Took me 5 Tries. I had to grind my White Mages for a skill that lessens water damage.

Is there any grind areas for Job AP in the wind temple, trying to get to level 20 and job 10 before I switch jobs, Encounter rate is at max

Vestment Cave I found to be pretty good for AP.
Also you know that the jump from job 9 to 10 is 3500 JP right? Might take quite a while since even with the bonuses mobs don't give a whole lot of JP this early on

IronRinn

Received my CE replacement from Amazon, after informing them the first one was shipped in a flimsy bubble mailer...

So they shipped this one in a flimsy bubble mailer and is even more beat up than the first one.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
...Never have a I gone to loving a class to hating it so quickly. ENEMY FIRST STRIKE! Salmon Strike! Salmon Strike! Your party got wiped out... (Chapter 1 class spoilers)
Time Slip

Animekatt

Received my CE replacement from Amazon, after informing them the first one was shipped in a flimsy bubble mailer...

So they shipped this one in a flimsy bubble mailer and is even more beat up than the first one.

Yikes... I had that happen to me with the persona 2 psp CE. Received 2 replacements before settling for half off the game.

bumpkin

I've really got to set up the Abilink stuff for some of my characters. I think it's the system I really understand the least of them all.

In other news, my 3DS has been in sleep mode for a better part of the past few days -- when I'm not playing -- so I can rebuild Norende. At least 7 or 8 of the shops are at level 5 or 6 now.

neoism

20 hours in and I had no idea...

Once in a battle press left on the d-pad twice, once you have put in all your commands then press Y. Now just use your left hand and watch a movie, and power level..:p

I love this game.
I've really got to set up the Abilink stuff for some of my characters. I think it's the system I really understand the least of them all.

In other news, my 3DS has been in sleep mode for a better part of the past few days -- when I'm not playing -- so I can rebuild Norende. At least 7 or 8 of the shops are at level 5 or 6 now.

Im gonna be sad once I max my town. I love what it beings to the game... I come back from an hour or so, and get my little town workers to get me an item that will take like 2 hours or something I fight a few dozen random battles and put it back down..<3 I will probably never go out of this game lol right now my 3DSxl is a Bravely Default player ;D

Bah, I hate part of the design of the 3DS. Its too easy for the cartridge to pop out. Lost all my nightly Norende progress when I tried to put it in my pocket this morning and my thumb barely grazed it.

This... design flaw... has screwed me over a few times and it's the main reason why I've gone digital for both Fire Emblem and Bravely Default. I've had both games running nonstop and I don't want to accidentally eject the cartridge when I pull the 3DS out of my pocket.

Top Bottom