• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Holy shit I did 9999 damage. Quick, someone give be a damage cap-breaking whatever is in this game.

TWILT

Banned
Just started my copy. Just wondering how challenging the game is. Is Normal a good difficulty that doesn't get too frustrating? Nice that the difficulty's adjustable.

oakenhild

I could use a few more friends if anyone needs one: 3196-4597-4754. PM me with your friend code if you add me. I'm just about on chapter 2.

All this needing to stock up on items after every dungeon/healing in menu after fights is really making me appreciate Xenoblade's auto heal after every battle thing.

Wow so much stuff I didn't care about before that's just pissing me off here. Side quests are fun though.

Also, holy crap at Angel Bow.

Just started my copy. Just wondering how challenging the game is. Is Normal a good difficulty that doesn't get too frustrating? Nice that the difficulty's adjustable.

Normal is probably fine, but it depends how much you intend to grind jobs. It's so incredibly easy to get overleveled if you are anything like me (and love leveling new jobs when you get them). Thankfully, you *can* turn off Exp gain if you only want to get the job levels up.

Velcro Fly

Just started. I actually am enjoying the voice acting so far.

Have a feeling I will play this game a lot over the next few weeks.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Holy crap, I got a lv 99 nemesis through a Streetpass!?

If it's
satan
2142264-7796_full.jpg

Regarding the Nemesis, I got one that says lvl:10 yet he whoops me. wth is that.

Beelzebub? If so I couldn't beat him at level 10 either. I fought him level 20 and beat the 3-4 Beelzebub's my village had really easily, but even then his defense is ridiculously high. My highest damage dealer was my thief with the... angel bow? I think that's what it's called. Either ways he was doing like 200 something damage per attack while my other melee character was only doing like 100 max. Basically thief and black mage (Tiz and Ringabelle) did all the damage.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Woooooooooow, so I decided to see what people I could summon during my first boss battle....I had a Lv. 72 user that pretty much did over 7,000 to both characters & did a 1-hit KO..

Also, I dig the demonstration you get for new jobs.

Zing

Banned
Anyways, the lack of variety in music is starting to get to me. They really focused on gameplay and graphics with this one.
This hasn't bothered me, yet, but I am frustrated that there seems to be only one spell-casting animation and sound.

Zing

Banned
I just discovered the "status" command hidden away in the "tactics" menu, which is the worst name for the "options" menu I have seen in my life. I was finally able to discover the base stat differences between the characters, so I can get a feel for the optimal jobs.

Ringabel is agility and intelligence
Agnes is mind and intelligence
Edea is strength and vitality
Tiz is average everything

Wasn't Edea a black mage to start? Odd choice to give her the best fighter stats. I've been using her as a mage this whole time. She is now a knight.

I just discovered the "status" command hidden away in the "tactics" menu, which is the worst name for the "options" menu I have seen in my life. I was finally able to discover the base stat differences between the characters, so I can get a feel for the optimal jobs.

Wasn't Edea a black mage to start? Odd choice to give her the best fighter stats. I've been using her as a mage this whole time. She is now a knight.

Well, she starts as a freelancer like all the other characters. I actually didn't realize she had the most Strength and Vit, though. I have her as my main Black Mage, lol. She does fine with it anyways, though. It's really quite obvious that Agnes is terrible at the physical jobs, though. Her damage is always much lower than the other characters.

Edea starts as a Freelancer, and wields a katana right off the bat
....I think you're confusing her with Ominas Crowe, lol

chrono01

I received my Collector's Edition from Amazon.ca today. But first, a little backstory:

So I pre-ordered the CE from Amazon.ca near the end of November of last year. As release date approached, I noticed my credit card wasn't charged for the order and hadn't entered the "preparing to ship" phase either. I figured that it was no big deal, and was just Amazon.ca being slow [as they tend to be with release from time-to-time].

However, after the release date, and with many who pre-ordered after me having their copies ship, I got concerned so I emailed them about it. They apologized, refunded me on shipping, and even upgraded the speed to One-Day shipping so I'd receive it quickly. It was shipped out that following business day [Monday].

Anyway, I received the copy today and was surprised to see that it shipped in a cardboard box/envelope. The copy is pristine, with no dents/creases/etc. I definitely sympathize for those with damaged copies. I've seen some of the pictures, and they...can be painful to look at. :/

My only question now is whether I should open up/enjoy the CE or keep it sealed and play the standard edition I had ship from the Futureshop/E3 promotion I had forgotten to cancel.

Proven

Holy crap, I got a lv 99 nemesis through a Streetpass!?
Lol, I got that when I picked up the game from Nintendo World on Saturday. I forgot to mention it, but the posts on this page has solved the mystery for me.

Well, she starts as a freelancer like all the other characters. I actually didn't realize she had the most Strength and Vit, though. I have her as my main Black Mage, lol. She does fine with it anyways, though. It's really quite obvious that Agnes is terrible at the physical jobs, though. Her damage is always much lower than the other characters.

Agnes was my primary single hit damage dealer in the demo, so I don't want to switch her off classes like Knight and Valkyrie, but I'm actually starting to notice the lack of damage. Although it may also be because I keep getting really strong Bows for Tiz and Edea and shouldn't compare the damage so much.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ok I just beat the
dragon
in chapter 1. Pretty much trucked him no problem all my guys are Lv20. I think I'm going to roll with exp gain off for a while. What level was everyone at the start of chapter 2?

I'm pretty sure that throughout the rest of the game I'm keeping Tiz and Edea as the fighter/physical power. Edea as armor user who will act as tank, Tiz as back-up and possible glass cannon if I can do it right with ninja. I'll keep him a bow user for a while, turn him into a ranger and get accuracy. Then I might eventually turn him into a pirate, depending which one works best for end-game. Edea is up for anything really I'll see what she excels at.

As for Ringabell and Agnes, they'll be the magicians but Ringabell will be offensive while Agnes will stay entirely as support role (healer, buffs, debuffs), if I had known earlier that Ringabell was agility I would have made him the eventual ninja, but I don't want to train him in thief for the skill I want.

I'm stuck in the
Orthros fight
hard difficulty, chapter one. Any tips?
I'm lvl 20 with all, and the party i use consists in a Monk, a White Mage, a Black Mage and a Knight, all in job level 7.

Agnes was my primary single hit damage dealer in the demo, so I don't want to switch her off classes like Knight and Valkyrie, but I'm actually starting to notice the lack of damage. Although it may also be because I keep getting really strong Bows for Tiz and Edea and shouldn't compare the damage so much.

In the demo, I had Agnes as my Black Mage and Edea as my main healer, lol. This was before I knew anything about the characters, their back story, or their stats (I didn't look). Am I the only one who likes to give jobs (well, "main jobs") to characters based on their personality/story-related things? I mean, it's obvious to me that Agnes should be a white mage (for her main job). I picture Ringabel as more of a physical fighter - a Thief or something like that. For Tiz, I see him more as a Knight, and for Edea, I honestly see her as a hot-tempered Black Mage. I'm weird probably, lol.

I think I might switch things up and have Tiz be my main Black Mage if he does have higher INT. And switch Edea over to something else. I'm not sure yet. I mean, I switch jobs around on everyone pretty often, but ya know.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And that is what you call going ham.

This hasn't bothered me, yet, but I am frustrated that there seems to be only one spell-casting animation and sound.
I feel the more I play the game, the more the fact settles in what it is missing that other large productions offer. Despite the great battle system, I think I'll end up considering it rather middle-of-the-road.

Proven

My party has Agnes as the heavy armored big hitter, Ringabell as all-magician (Black/White/Red/
Time
and
Summoner
, mixing and matching), Edea as the glass cannon, and Tiz as the jack of all trades who I can't decide what to do with. He's been an extra healer in some fights, an extra speedy cannon in others, and in the demo I had him as an extra tanky character. He's this close to just becoming the general party buffer though so Ringabell can focus more on damage. I find I do a lot better with three damage dealers, and eventually I should be able to heal enough with just Red Mage Ringabell and I'll be getting Performer, right?

you know, people say the Red Mage is pretty bad....but I really doubt it's worse than Black/White Mage
especially because you can just throw it in the backup slot and pick up a better combo

I'm stuck in the
Orthros fight
I'm lvl 20 with all, and the party i use consists in a Monk, a White Mage, a Black Mage and a Knight, all in job level 7.

If damage dealing is the issue, try switching the monk or the knight out for a thief with a bow. Especially if you can get the village bow (I think it's called angel's bow), it does a pretty decent amount of damage and a thief will do pretty good with it per attack. That is assuming you did the thief sidequest already.

Your party basically consists of what I had and around the level I was. I don't know much about useful skill combination at this stage but
try giving as many of the party members as you can the flame resistant support skill. You can get people who wouldn't have it to use it if you have friends who trained that specific character in black magic and you pair up that character with a friend. If you have 3/4 or so with this, then focus on killing the blue head first. The red one shouldn't do massive damage afterwards. As usual try coming in with characters having their special ready if possible. Especially if the black mage has that withering whatever special that makes every enemy weaker

That's as much as I can give but I'm playing on normal first playthrough.

Seil

In the demo, I had Agnes as my Black Mage and Edea as my main healer, lol. This was before I knew anything about the characters, their back story, or their stats (I didn't look). Am I the only one who likes to give jobs (well, "main jobs") to characters based on their personality/story-related things? I mean, it's obvious to me that Agnes should be a white mage (for her main job). I picture Ringabel as more of a physical fighter - a Thief or something like that. For Tiz, I see him more as a Knight, and for Edea, I honestly see her as a hot-tempered Black Mage. I'm weird probably, lol.

I think I might switch things up and have Tiz be my main Black Mage if he does have higher INT. And switch Edea over to something else. I'm not sure yet. I mean, I switch jobs around on everyone pretty often, but ya know.

But, Edea's story from the very beginning shows her to be the disciple of a swordmaster and being given a katana ._.

Anyway, back in the demo I compared stats so I already had a feeling of what I was going to do with the characters haha. Agnès as healer(right now she's actually healer, secondary magic damage and also a third physical attacker as a red mage haha - she's holding up with Staff Lore + Two Handed), Ringabel as magic damage or a third physical damage option, Edea and Tiz as physical.

I feel the more I play the game, the more the fact settles in what it is missing that other large productions offer. Despite the great battle system, I think I'll end up considering it rather middle-of-the-road.

Chapter 3 will do that to you. Go to A.. Now B... Now back to A... Now back to B, then C to revisit A. Once you get to A make a quick stop at B which will tell you to go to C after returning to A.

Proven

I just go by what I think they'll look good in, lol. It's a travesty to make Ringabell anything but a Red Mage, the demo made Edea look awesome as a Ninja, and I like the way armor for Knight and Valkyrie look on Agnes. Tiz looks silly in almost everything.

The demo also may have had a hand in it. The text from the opening made Agnes sound like the type always looking to help/protect others and it seemed like she was leading the party in order to help out around the world, Tiz was the average joe hanger on, Ringabell the one that must always look good and avoid getting dirty/taking damage, and Edea the daring type.

But, Edea's story from the very beginning shows her to be the disciple of a swordmaster and being given a katana ._.

Anyway, back in the demo I compared stats so I already had a feeling of what I was going to do with the characters haha. Agnès as healer(right now she's actually healer, secondary magic damage and also a third physical attacker as a red mage haha - she's holding up with Staff Lore + Two Handed), Ringabel as magic damage or a third physical damage option, Edea and Tiz as physical.

haha, yeah I know. It was after I got to know her character a bit more then I started seeing her as a black mage. Maybe because black mages want to rain destruction down on things, and she is very... um... Mrgrgr. I dunno. xD

I think I might switch her soon, though. Tiz would make a decent black mage (and his BLM is already like level 7 anyways).

I just go by what I think they'll look good in, lol. It's a travesty to make Ringabell anything but a Red Mage, the demo made Edea look awesome as a Ninja, and I like the way armor for Knight and Valkyrie look on Agnes. Tiz looks silly in almost everything.

This might also have something to do with how I choose jobs for people. :p

Baliis

What exactly is going on during this video? How are the characters attacking so many times? And why cast Poison on themselves? If you need to, spoiler tag the answer (like if it involves certain jobs or whatever).

He's using the poison to trigger bp recovery which gives you 2 bp when you get a status ailment, then using Rage from dark knight which makes you attack with dark bane 5 times or until you have 1 hp, and using drain to not drop to one hp.

Fandangox

I'm stuck in the
Orthros fight

I had Tiz as a thief and a dedicated healer healing every turn. I had Tiz use steal to rob each head of its items (each head has 2 items) which deal either fire or ice elemental damage, depending on which head you stole the item from. Eeach Item will only damage one head depending on the element, as one will be unaffected by the damage.

The two items do 500 and 2500 each, very helpful.

cackhyena

I just downloaded and will be starting this tonight. Don't know much about the town building, but do I need friend codes to have that stuff go anywhere, or can I make it on my own?

Exentryk

What exactly is going on during this video? How are the characters attacking so many times? And why cast Poison on themselves? If you need to, spoiler tag the answer (like if it involves certain jobs or whatever).

The fight uses a couple of broken setups.

One use of 'Rage' ability (needs 3BP per Rage) does upto 5 attacks or until you drop to 1 HP. Sword Magic - Drain ensures I don't drop to 1 HP. I use Rage x2 with each of the three characters, so each one attacks 10 times. 30 x 9999 = 300,000 damage.

Now, to use Rage x2, you need 6BP, and that's where Poison comes in. 'BP Recovery' passive raises your BP by 2 with every status ailment sustained. So, basically, I cast Poison on my allies to get them more BP.

He's using the poison to trigger bp recovery which gives you 2 bp when you get a status ailment, then using Rage from dark knight which makes you attack with dark bane 5 times or until you have 1 hp, and using drain to not drop to one hp.

The fight uses a couple of broken setups.

One use of 'Rage' ability (needs 3BP per Rage) does upto 5 attacks or until you drop to 1 HP. Sword Magic - Drain ensures I don't drop to 1 HP. I use Rage x2 with each of the three characters, so each one attacks 10 times. 30 x 9999 = 300,000 damage.

Now, to use Rage x2, you need 6BP, and that's where Poison comes in. 'BP Recovery' passive raises your BP by 2 with every status ailment sustained. So, basically, I cast Poison on my allies to get them more BP.

Ohh, I gotcha - makes sense. Thanks for the info! So crazy, lol.

Just curious, what job gives
BP Recovery
?

Frolow

Banned
Anyone know if you can complete the journal in a single playthrough, or do you need to go through
NG+
in order to 100% it?

Top Bottom